PDA

View Full Version : Spyder hit in rear

Yfactor
05-06-2011, 11:00 PM
This afternoon while returning home from dinner I stopped to fuel up the RT and my son proceeded toward home. While fueling RT I get a call from my son, the RS has been rear ended. Seems car came up behind him and the driver dropped his drink in the floorboard and bent over to recover it. Upon rising back up he hits the RS in the rear :gaah:. Result, no injury to son, RS has bent rear fender and support braces and a crushed license light. Was able to pull fender off the rear tire and straighten supports enough to get clearance and check that all else was in proper alignment so son was able to ride home, about a mile. Now it's off to the dealer Monday so it can be checked out and repaired :helpsmilie:. Needless to say, son is feeling dismal he just turned 200 miles on the RS and was looking forward to us taking a short trip (aprox. 125 mi.) this weekend :dontknow:.

GadgetGuy442
05-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your son's misfortune. So happy to hear that he wasn't hurt, and that it wasn't a more serious accident. I'm sure you're relieved as well!!

It's a real shame that stuff like this happens... hopefully the distracted driver got ticketed?

Bill

1VENOM
05-06-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm really glad that your son is fine. The Spyder can be replaced but too loose a son, well just glad your son is fine.

Raptor
05-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Very glad to hear he is OK. I can't believe people can be so careless. :dontknow:

Blue Star
05-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Glad to hear your son is okay. That is one of my biggest fears.

WackyDan
05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
All that matters is he is safe.

Take the fender brackets and supports off, zip tie the plate to the Spyder somewhere and still do your ride.

Firefly
05-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Total bummer! But glad your son was not injured!

Idiot cagers!

ARtraveler
05-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Sorry about the damage to the Spyder. Glad the son was not injured. Hope the offending driver got a ticket.

Yfactor
05-07-2011, 05:50 AM
No ticket issued. Officer felt since no one was injured and only damage was to the Spyder and he considered it as unreportable accident. :gaah:

NancysToy
05-07-2011, 05:55 AM
No ticket issued. Officer felt since no one was injured and only damage was to the Spyder and he considered it as unreportable accident. :gaah:
That is pure, unadulterated hogwash. I would complain loudly to the officer's supertiors, or even write a letter to city hall. A property damage accident is always reportable. Now the repairs have to come out of your son's own pocket! :mad:

fispyder
05-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Glad to hear son is OK. should had been accident report written for insurance

Roger
05-07-2011, 05:57 AM
I hope the other person is going to pay for the damages? Very glad your son is ok. i would have made him do a report the insurance will need it. :dontknow:

MMcc
05-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Glad that your son is OK. Now to the :spyder2:. Hopefully you got all the other drivers information, Name, license plate number,insurance company and policy. I too was hit on my spyder while in line at at gas station. The lady gave me her insurance card and said "I don't have time to deal with this" and drove off. Without a police report my insurance would have been reluctant to cover the repair costs. Her insurance company was great to deal with after my insurance company contacted them. She at least had called her agent and told him about the problem. Make some calls and get the adjuster to look at it. Then bring it to a dealer for their estimate. The dealer estimate cost me $182 which her insurance would not pay for even though their adjuster knew nothing about spyders and had to rely on the dealers tech to figure out the costs. Good luck with the repairs.

Yfactor
05-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Officer did do a report, just decideddamage didn't meet the state requirement for reporting to the state. Not unusual here as most don't know the value of property damage to vehicles such as the Spyder. My Insur. company will go after other drivers Ins. and will file the damage and accident report to the state. Been through this before when a state insured van driven by a prison guard hit my Expedition, they refused to pay so my Ins. company sued them and won, meantime my Ins. fixed my vehicle. These are the kind of things that make you stick with a company even when they may sometimes not be the cheapest.

Yfactor
05-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Glad that your son is OK. Now to the :spyder2:. Hopefully you got all the other drivers information, Name, license plate number,insurance company and policy. I too was hit on my spyder while in line at at gas station. The lady gave me her insurance card and said "I don't have time to deal with this" and drove off. Without a police report my insurance would have been reluctant to cover the repair costs. Her insurance company was great to deal with after my insurance company contacted them. She at least had called her agent and told him about the problem. Make some calls and get the adjuster to look at it. Then bring it to a dealer for their estimate. The dealer estimate cost me $182 which her insurance would not pay for even though their adjuster knew nothing about spyders and had to rely on the dealers tech to figure out the costs. Good luck with the repairs.

Never had to pay for estimates as my Ins company adjuster meets with dealer and come to agreement on cost of repairs including possible hidden damage that might come up once repairs start.

retread
05-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Glad your son is okay. The other driver deserved a ticket, careless driving is careless driving. Make sure your dealer checks the swingarm, axle, wheel, bearings and frame, a little bend can cause a lot of problems.

john

wyliec
05-07-2011, 06:57 AM
Glad your son is okay and sounds like you have a handle on the whole procedure.

Yfactor
05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Glad your son is okay and sounds like you have a handle on the whole procedure.

That was my number one concern as he'll say he's OK even when he's not. When it comes to my sons I'm a bit protective, when their mom was alive she did the worrying now it's my time. These sons are grown men but I find I worry more about them now than when they were children.:pray:

redfox
05-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Glad he is OK. I have been thinking about the Back off mod. Probably would not have helped in this case with cage driver looking at the floor of his cage.

JJW SpyderRider
05-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Glad that your son is OK :2thumbs:. I have seen a trend in M/C is general being hit from behind. I've added rear facing lighting but that don't help if the other driver is looking at the floor or phone :gaah:.

Boriken
05-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Glad to hear that your son is OK. that is all that matters.

Riker
05-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Glad your son is ok. That seems like a bunch of cr@p they didn't write a ticket. Granted it was an "accident", but jeeze. Take care, and get that :spyder2: back on the rode when fixed. Soon he will be at it again...:doorag::ohyea:

Spyder Cat
05-07-2011, 10:42 AM

less paperwork for them. :mad:

when that Yukon backed into and T-boned our RT last September, (yeah, the people with no insurance and no drivers license:cus:),
the cops wouldn't even come out. :chill: Gave us an incident # on the phone.
Hope you have a good dealer who will take care of you.

Really glad to hear your son is okay. Hope you can figure out a way to get out for that ryde anyway.

PCBeachBum
05-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Its great that your son is okay and that your insurance company is taking care of your claim and going after the other drivers insurance.

I replaced the reflector/license plate light with an LED Catseye brake/license plate light. I wanted more lights back there and added a brake strobe. The strobe is set to flash 10 times before going solid and works on all brake lights. I have noticed motorists who are paying attention do back off, when I step on the brake. Its the idiots not paying attention that worries me.

We can only do so much and until states start cracking down on drivers doing other things while driving, accidents are going to continue and only after to many deaths, do states begin to enforce laws written. :gaah:

DynamoBT
05-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I agree that "careless" is careless. Driver deserved to be cited. Glad your son is OK. Hopefully your insurance will come through so repairs of the Spyder go smoothly.

People just don't think of cars as the weapons that they are. They hardly give driving the attention it deserves. What's more important? Your deadly weapon aimed right at the tail of someone else on the road, or your stupid drink...or text message, or phone call, or. . . . . .People just need to pay attention to driving when they are behind the wheel.

Sorry for my rant, but this upsets me to no end. Glad you kid was OK.

bjt
05-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Two of these in one day or is the person that this happened to going by the screen name Sopher on SpyderLovers?

Bob Denman
05-08-2011, 08:05 AM
These things are rarely as simple as they seem... Make sure that your son is okay! He was running on pure adrenaline after this happened. It's afterwards when things calm down that he'll notice that he's just a bit stiff and sore... don't take anything for granted... The Spyder can be fixed of course, but a LEO who doesn't know which end of a wrench to keep out of his nose isn't the guy to be saying that the damage is minor... What about the swingarm for example? Tire, wheel, swingarm bearings... They all took a shot so they should be looked at by a competent repair shop!

The officer was taking a shortcut and doing his job is a pretty lousy way this time :gaah:

Okay... I'll get off the dang soapbox now...

Roger
05-08-2011, 08:49 AM
That was my number one concern as he'll say he's OK even when he's not. When it comes to my sons I'm a bit protective, when their mom was alive she did the worrying now it's my time. These sons are grown men but I find I worry more about them now than when they were children.:pray:

Yes cause when they are children you watch like a hawk and can guide them now that they are older like my daughter you worry more that you brought them up right and taught them well!.

Bob Denman
05-08-2011, 09:17 AM
You have to hang in there just a bit and have confidence in the fact that you did a good job teaching them to be responsible adults who were taught right from wrong... HOPEFULLY! :shocked:

acinpcola
05-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Glad to hear that your son is ok and that he rode the :spyder2: home. Here in NWFL there are far to many accidents with mortorcycles and cages. Seems the cage operators are just not looking for any type of cycle.

Yfactor
05-12-2011, 04:35 AM
These things are rarely as simple as they seem... Make sure that your son is okay! He was running on pure adrenaline after this happened. It's afterwards when things calm down that he'll notice that he's just a bit stiff and sore... don't take anything for granted... The Spyder can be fixed of course, but a LEO who doesn't know which end of a wrench to keep out of his nose isn't the guy to be saying that the damage is minor... What about the swingarm for example? Tire, wheel, swingarm bearings... They all took a shot so they should be looked at by a competent repair shop!

The officer was taking a shortcut and doing his job is a pretty lousy way this time :gaah:

Okay... I'll get off the dang soapbox now...

Got the call yesterday from the shop. Swing arm, bearings, frame and tire all OK. Replace fender, fender supports, light and reflectors. My Ins. taking care of and recovering from other drivers Ins. including my deductable. Saved me a lot of hassles with other Ins. company. total damage $558.50. Son has no after effects other than not able to ride the :spyder2: till repairs are finished. :clap:

dancogan
05-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Got the call yesterday from the shop. Swing arm, bearings, frame and tire all OK. Replace fender, fender supports, light and reflectors. My Ins. taking care of and recovering from other drivers Ins. including my deductable. Saved me a lot of hassles with other Ins. company. total damage $558.50. Son has no after effects other than not able to ride the :spyder2: till repairs are finished. :clap:

:2thumbs: That all sounds like good news ... especially about your son.

NancysToy
05-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Great news! Thanks for the update.

spydrluvr
05-12-2011, 08:09 AM

although frustrating to wait.....great news:clap::clap:

Campverdefela
05-12-2011, 10:26 AM
less paperwork for them. :mad:

when that Yukon backed into and T-boned our RT last September, (yeah, the people with no insurance and no drivers license:cus:),
the cops wouldn't even come out. :chill: Gave us an incident # on the phone.
Hope you have a good dealer who will take care of you.

Really glad to hear your son is okay. Hope you can figure out a way to get out for that ryde anyway.
I cannot understand how people get away with that as every State I've lived in requires proof of insurance to keep the plate. Are police not doing their jobs keeping unlawful vehicles off the road? For example, I know of a few vehicles around my area that have out of state plates that are expired and are never pulled over and checked into.