PDA

View Full Version : Can Am Leaning Trike Patent

draboo
05-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Just read an article about it in CycleWorld and after Googling,came up with this:

The design also overcomes one issue with leaning trikes: keeping them upright at a stop. Instead of having a manual lock, Bombardier’s system again determines whether the bike should lean over or not, and when stopped or parked, keeps the three-wheeler upright.

Leaning Spyder Patent (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/can-am-spyder-leaning-patent-application/)

I had talked to the fellow who is doing the leaning trike conversions here in WA and he is designing a manual lock for his setup, but CanAm's version will be automatic.

BikerDoc
05-05-2011, 02:29 PM
You really have to admire Can Am BRP for creativity and pioneering....

wukka
05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Responding in the most mature and dignified manner that I possibly can...

I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW!

:D

draboo
05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Responding in the most mature and dignified manner that I possibly can...

I WANT IT, AND I WANT IT NOW!

:D

Hey,Stranger! How's tricks down south?

We are heading to Lewiston,ID to visit a H.S. friend I havent seen in 30 years and to test the camper. Probably around the 15th. Then, we are heading back to MI on June 1st.

wukka
05-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Hey,Stranger! How's tricks down south?

We are heading to Lewiston,ID to visit a H.S. friend I havent seen in 30 years and to test the camper. Probably around the 15th. Then, we are heading back to MI on June 1st.

Well, still waiting for the weather to change for the better. We had, like, TWO nice days and I went for a ryde both times.

If you guys aren't going until the 15th, you can come on down for the Gerbing's OPEN HOUSE on the 14th, right? :)

I've been to Lewiston...That will be the trip that you bust your trailer's cherry on? I'm curious how that will turn out for you...

I'm heading to Chelan on the 18th...Are you sure you need to go on Sunday? We could ryde over to Ellensburg together.

Was just thinking what it would take to get me to trade-in the RT, and a leaning trike would do the trick for me. :)

Firefly
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Just read an article about it in CycleWorld and after Googling,came up with this:

Leaning Spyder Patent (http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/can-am-spyder-leaning-patent-application/)

I had talked to the fellow who is doing the leaning trike conversions here in WA and he is designing a manual lock for his setup, but CanAm's version will be automatic.

Interesting. Rumor has it BRP is going to make a big Spyder-related announcement in Maggie Valley....... hmmmmmmm:dontknow:

Roger
05-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Please say it's not so!! Imho we just don't need it! :yikes:

Firefly
05-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Nobody will be forcing you to buy it.... :D

Brunswick
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
I just get a Spyder, then you improve the technology to make my new toy obsolete? Arrgghhh!
http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6348675/early-adopters-through-history

This could kill the resale market for exisiting Y's. It just doesn't pay to be an early adopter.... Then again, lots of things get patented and that's as far as they get.

jedd
05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Nobody will be forcing you to buy it.... :D:agree::agree:

Firefly
05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I just get a Spyder, then you improve the technology to make my new toy obsolete? Arrgghhh!

This could kill the resale market for exisiting Y's. It just doesn't pay to be an early adopter.... Then again, lots of things get patented and that's as far as they get.

Funny cartoon!

The Spyder wasn't built as an investment - it was built to ride. The value of any used toy like this goes down - even HD's don't hold value like they used to. So ride the heck out of your Spyder so that when this new 'leaner' comes out in 5 years you'll be ready.:D

Roger
05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
wasn't even thinking about buying it most people who ride a spyder bought it for stability and its upright position. Tilting the spyder really!! Again jmo i don't think it will do good in sales if it makes it to market. A few companys have also thought of this idea but the first with a patent makes the money.

SSG Bean
05-05-2011, 07:37 PM
wasn't even thinking about buying it most people who ride a spyder bought it for stability and its upright position. Tilting the spyder really!! Again jmo i don't think it will do good in sales if it makes it to market. A few companys have also thought of this idea but the first with a patent makes the money.

I think it will do great! You could argue that a tilting spyder would be even more stable, especially when cornering. I doubt they would produce something that flops right over when sitting still. To me it sounds like the best of both motorcycle and spyder attributes. I'm sure it will be very stable, and probably do great in sales. The only reason I dislike the idea of it is because I will want to spend the money for one!

Brunswick
05-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Funny cartoon!

The Spyder wasn't built as an investment - it was built to ride. The value of any used toy like this goes down - even HD's don't hold value like they used to. So ride the heck out of your Spyder so that when this new 'leaner' comes out in 5 years you'll be ready.:D

Granted - no vehicle is ever a 'good investment'. I was just thinking that if I wanted to sell my model to buy the new leaner, there wouldn't be much of a market. If it does take 5 years then no problem - I'll just try to use her all up by then... :thumbup:

However, some other posters have reminded me of what I preach to my students: it's not about whether people prefer X or Y, it's all about what proportion prefer X and what proportion prefer Y. I am at just over 600 miles on my Spyder and took my first real hard aggressive corner this past week. The Spyder stuck to the ground flawlessly but the g-forces threw me 2/3 of the way off the seat. OK - lesson learned - when cornering aggressively, shift weight and lean into the turn before getting there. Not a big deal, but a tilting Y would mititgate the need to shift your weight around.

Here's how I envision the future: RT's will stay stable but the RS will become a tilting sport ride for the more aggressive riders. JMHO...:2thumbs:

Firefly
05-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Granted - no vehicle is ever a 'good investment'. I was just thinking that if I wanted to sell my model to buy the new leaner, there wouldn't be much of a market. If it does take 5 years then no problem - I'll just try to use her all up by then... :thumbup:

However, some other posters have reminded me of what I preach to my students: it's not about whether people prefer X or Y, it's all about what proportion prefer X and what proportion prefer Y. I am at just over 600 miles on my Spyder and took my first real hard aggressive corner this past week. The Spyder stuck to the ground flawlessly but the g-forces threw me 2/3 of the way off the seat. OK - lesson learned - when cornering aggressively, shift weight and lean into the turn before getting there. Not a big deal, but a tilting Y would mititgate the need to shift your weight around.

Here's how I envision the future: RT's will stay stable but the RS will become a tilting sport ride for the more aggressive riders. JMHO...:2thumbs:

:agree:

You'll get the hang of cornering in no time at all-- practice! I can take any turn at twice the posted speed limit - no problem. Wait till the first time you bring a wheel off the ground -- or have the nanny kick in when you still have both fronts on the ground --- kind of creepy the first time the Spyder does the braking FOR you...:D:doorag:

YPILOT
05-05-2011, 08:15 PM
I hope it doesn't take 5 years! I'm already loosing seat tyme on it! The market will develop for it just like the GS/RS & RT. It just keeps getting better.

SpyderGirl
05-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd love to try it! :)

ThreeWheels
05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
I don't know.................

I really love my Spyder.

While I don't want to sound like a Luddite, I'm a little concerned.

It leans at this speed, leans a little more at that speed, doesn't lean at this still another speed.

Sounds complicated. I'm not sure my DPS is working right. I'm not sure the complicated lean system may be a good idea.

But, to each their own.

bone crusher
05-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Did you buy your bike for resale or for enjoyment? I've never bought any vehicle with a concern for resale...

BajaRon
05-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Interesting. Rumor has it BRP is going to make a big Spyder-related announcement in Maggie Valley....... hmmmmmmm:dontknow:

I think they are going to announce that Lamontster is the new CEO! :yikes: :doorag::D

Fisher858
05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Harley has had this reverse trike, independently-sprung front wheels, patent pending since 2005. Check it out below, especially the very intelligent comments from readers...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/06/01/harley-davidson-leaning-trike-patent-application/

No sour grapes here. I took possession of a 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited three weeks ago. A great ride, thanks to Spyder tech Dr. Nick, the professor of motor cyclology, who assembled it from the box it came in and set it up perfectly. Traded-in my 2008 RS. I'm a Can-Am fan.

Hey, I'm just sayin. It will be a fight to the finish between Harley and Can-Am for market share among the 3-wheeling crowd of "aging riders and their ladies," the demo both companies are going after. I'm 68, so I can say that.

My guess is Can-Am will win the duel. They have far more corporate resources from parent Bombardier. Harley, sad to say, is just another great American icon about to be put under by US taxes, off-shore outsourcing, and foreign imports.

Ride safe, brothers and sisters.

(We had a tragedy here in San Diego yesterday. A 68-year old 3-wheel rider was rear-ended and killed at a freeway traffic slow-down by a 23-year old going "about 65," according to the CHP. RIP to this good man and
prayers to his family.)

fastfraser
05-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Piaggio Mp3 has had a leaning trike / scooter for years ! Manual lock for under 5 kph. Had one that I traded for my Spyder. Had the 500cc. What a blast, would out lean any stock bike. Not so good on the HYW,the transports would blow you all over the place .

draboo
05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Before y'all get too excited..
from CYCLEWORLD,JUNE 2011, pg 18

"There already are other leaning three wheeler designs out there,so its not suprising that Can Am wanted to ensure that, in the event it decides to expand the Spyder lineup with a "leaner', it would not have to license anhybody else's design"-Chaz Rice,Can Am rep, ValcourtSeems like a case of CYA.:D

AMTJIM
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't think the speed proportional leaning will be too hard. Aircraft arleady have this, maybe they robbed it from Bombardier aircraft. High speed aircraft with hydraulics have a transition of aileron and rudder ratio. The higher the speed the less throw a rudder is allowed for example. With 3000psi pushing the control surface instead of muscle and cable, it's easy to over control. It may very well borrow it's signal from the steering assist if no new computer is added. A simple image would be to think of 2 drinking cups, one fixed and one mounted to the leaning suspension. A solenoid will power the one attached to the leaning suspension forward and aft. When stopped, the solenoid pushes the cup forward and they stack tight, the bike wil be locked vertical. As you move forward and accelerate, the solenoid retracts the cup and allows lean angle. It may just fully retract by 10mph, I think gyroscopic phenomena is in effect by then, I'm sure hey are playing with it.

DragonSpyder
05-06-2011, 04:49 AM
I'm guessing it will lean as you turn the bars and not as the rider leans. This will eliminate the need for any lock.

DJS
05-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Carver has been using this tech for yrs in Europe,Son has had 1 for 3 yrs

Firefly
05-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Pertaining to HD - they have become nothing more than a clothing retailer that happens to sell motorcycles. They make more from just selling Chinese made t shirts than bikes- and this doesn't count all the other Chinese made trinkets they hawk.

HD won't ever bring a reverse trike to market. BRP is the current expert in this technology and things will only get better IMO.

wukka
05-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Carver has been using this tech for yrs in Europe,Son has had 1 for 3 yrs

Yes, that is one truly cool LEANING ride.

And for how many years have they said "Coming SOON to the US?"

bjt
05-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Yes, that is one truly cool LEANING ride.

And for how many years have they said "Coming SOON to the US?"

At least three years. We have / had a member here (screen name Derwin) who was running a forum for Carvers and I popped over to his forum a few times to learn about those machines.

Firefly
05-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Don't those Carvers cost like $50,000?

Brunswick
05-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Don't those Carvers cost like $50,000?

I don't care what they cost. Given what I guess they weigh, and that one skinny little tire up front, I wouldn't dare to do any aggressive cornering in one of these.

aka1004
05-06-2011, 10:27 PM
If they take steering wheel off and put a handlebar on carver that would be perfect. Carver's lean is THE perfect way to do it, I think.
Rear wheel stays put and only rest of the vehicle leans.
It sure looks fun and stable on video and very nimble. I am guessing it will out manuver spyder easily.

Firefly
05-07-2011, 01:02 AM
If they take steering wheel off and put a handlebar on carver that would be perfect. Carver's lean is THE perfect way to do it, I think.
Rear wheel stays put and only rest of the vehicle leans.
It sure looks fun and stable on video and very nimble. I am guessing it will out manuver spyder easily.

I'm not sure about that-- since the rear wheels don't lean - it's going to have the possibility of tipping on tight turns like a trike-- although maybe it doesn't turn as tight? Just not sure it would do any better than the Spyder in the twisties.....

aka1004
05-07-2011, 01:54 AM
I felt that rear wheel being the way it is on carver is the reason for stability.
Since I have not been on neither carver or tilting spyder, I can not comment but it just seems carver would be more nimble but it has steering wheel and roof.

DJS
05-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Son has been traveling thruout Austria,italy,germany on his,says twisty's are are gr8 in alps and back roads,never had a problem,only time to dealers was for mods,dealer would come an pickup bike when mods accured,he always went to pickup after done for the ride lol,can't compare on spydrs doing same twisties,think comparing would be apples v oranges,all bikes have good/bad points,not sure what Carvers are but will check, I GET to use it for a month next year when i attend the BlueKnights Intle meeting in Vienna,only then can i give a somewhat honest answer :)

SXSMachine
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
So the Million dollar question then is, who would actually buy a leaning Spyder and would you retrofit a system to your current bike if it was at the right price?

I know I certainly would. As an enabled spyder ryder the ability to lean steer without the chance of the tryke falling over is good but the real benefit itthe lack or as little lateral G foces on me so I have better control of the Spyder and much less fatigue on arms and just in general from fighting it round corners and trying to stay glued to the top.

We should do a sticky and Poll it. what do you think mods? Lemonster?

Arr MiHardies
02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Holy dead thread revival Spyder Man!

chickridin
02-10-2012, 02:09 PM

I don't see how it would hurt anything as far as resale. It really wouldn't be any different than a car, or any other motor vehicle...2, 3 or 4 wheels, changing specs year to year.
:dontknow:

Weave2u
02-10-2012, 02:32 PM

:agree: I have no problem with current flat turns. The systems involved in allowing the MC to lean is yet another thing that can go wrong. Also, you would need MC tires, etc.... Hmm... I know there will be many who will like the leaning action, I just won't be in that crowd.

ARtraveler
02-10-2012, 02:57 PM
:oldpost:

Jury is out for me. I would not trade my spyder for a "leaner". Anyone know what the surprise announcement was?

:popcorn:

Bob Denman
02-10-2012, 03:38 PM
... :ohyea: Perfectly happy with the current platform... :2thumbs:

boborgera
02-10-2012, 04:01 PM
If i was 25 years younger maybe, But at this stage of the game i don't need the work out.
I like to ride bolt upright in the turns, Leaning is for when i ride my 6n, And in reality you don't lean two wheelers you drop them in turns [counter steer]

SXSMachine
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Big deal about the date guys. Its not a dead issue its a GROWING one. I think as the world leading forum we also carry a weight of responsibility to be the leaders of driving the models and the technology in them.

We have ever increasing technology a world full of prototypes of these torpedo shape "car" trykes and well we can lead it and be part of it a the Spyder community.

Besides as I said in my post enabled spyder ryders have a lot to gain from zero lateral forces so I'm not only all for them I think they are a neccesity that we move on from Piaggio and get the technology onto bigger and better trykes and quadracycles.

Likewise I would support a Can Am Syder quadracycle model. Not just because it would offer me more benefits but also because it would further the technology needed for the world wide trends towards more of these types of vehicles.

So thats my arguement, I could use the technology I could use more than that technology and build a "venemous" spyder and I would love to drive the technology further.

I love classics as much as I love futurist technologies and designs but to me all up as a whole I see the current Spyder as an incomplete technology because they have re-introduced car like lateral forces to someone who isn't belted in position to take them and the lack of a meas to overcome them.

I do think that Can Am took out their design as a just i case. I have also heard that its hard to get these tryke conversions as an aftermarket done in the states I don't know about Europe so much as far as I know you can take the spyder put 4 wheels on it and go for it. I know there are technology issues about balance and so on, well the logic, the hardware and siftware is all available and at not great cost to have these solutions. So I don't accept that as an arguement against.

I have applied for a permit with my own State authority here to put a tilt/camberstering system in place for a 3 wheeler and then for permission to add a 4th wheel. Technically I could add a 4th wheel and a "pretend" fold up side saddle seat and call it a side car. Either that or have the 4th wheel system removeable and ride track days to prove the concept and enjoy it to its full potential.

I have nothing against people enjoying what they have. I do think its exciting and a great next step to evolve the machine, products evolve and progress all the time and how many times do you get asked to voice an opinion on it? So have a say, be civil and have fun with it don't be offended. :2thumbs:

ABQ_Spyderman
02-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Here is a picture of the Harley Trike and a link to the page that talks about it. Pretty neat.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/08/03/harley-davidson-penster-tilting-reverse-trike/

MikeinGA
02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Pertaining to HD - they have become nothing more than a clothing retailer that happens to sell motorcycles. They make more from just selling Chinese made t shirts than bikes- and this doesn't count all the other Chinese made trinkets they hawk.

HD won't ever bring a reverse trike to market. BRP is the current expert in this technology and things will only get better IMO.

I have a HD cap that was made in the USA. That's before HD went Chinese.

Mike

SXSMachine
02-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Here is a picture of the Harley Trike and a link to the page that talks about it. Pretty neat.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/08/03/harley-davidson-penster-tilting-reverse-trike/

There was another post on kneeslider yesterday about an aftermarket company that I had seen the design for before but I think they were releasing their kits now.

Its from Too Kool cycles and its just featured on the front page of kneeslider right now, the Can Am even gets a mention.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/02/09/trt-the-tilting-reverse-trike-harley-conversion-from-too-kool-cycles/ (http://thekneeslider.com/)

Illinois Boy
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
No offense... but the Too Cool trike is butt-ugly.

hrbeta
02-10-2012, 10:15 PM

I agree!

SXSMachine
02-11-2012, 10:10 AM

Not offended at all, just add me to the list! :2thumbs:

I think the aftermarket kits for usually wheel bikes are almost universally butt ugly, I have only seen a couple I would possibly consider nice aesthetically. Butt (pun) I had been tld getting aftermarket leanin front ends on bikes in the US was difficult where-as I had the impression they were dead easy to do?? Anyone know who reads this post?

But there already being roon in the Spyder for the components for a lean you wouldn't even know until the guy behind thought your bike was breaking apart as younded a fast sweeper. Love to catch out a few people like that! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
02-11-2012, 10:15 AM
"Each to their own notion", said the old woman as she kissed the cow...

pro10is
02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
...I see the current Spyder as an incomplete technology because they have re-introduced car like lateral forces to someone who isn't belted in position to take them and the lack of a means to overcome them.

I hear what you're saying and I might be inclined to agree with you if I didn't love the feel of the ride of the Spyder's current configuration. For some reason I find the lateral forces more thrilling and enjoyable than the more elegant but sedate leaning of a motorcycle. Obviously just a personal preference, but for me a major factor of why I prefer a Spyder over a motorcycle. If BRP develops a leaning Spyder I would have to reevaluate the whole riding experience.

To me the Spyder is a hybrid between a a motorcycle and a sports car, providing you great features of both. It effectively pairs the motorcycle like thrill of riding in the open air with the wonderfully visceral experience of driving a glued to the pavement roadster. A very unique and satisfying combination. If I wanted just the feel of a motorcycle I would simply ride a motorcycle. I much prefer the thrilling, highly enjoyable ride of the Spyder which no other vehicle offers. Those who want to make it more like a motorcycle are missing the point I think, and would ultimately transform it into something else. To me it's perfect just the way it is.

SteveMac
02-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I hear what you're saying and I might be inclined to agree with you if I didn't love the feel of the ride of the Spyder's current configuration. For some reason I find the lateral forces more thrilling and enjoyable than the more elegant but sedate leaning of a motorcycle. Obviously just a personal preference, but for me a major factor of why I prefer a Spyder over a motorcycle. If BRP develops a leaning Spyder I would have to reevaluate the whole riding experience.

To me the Spyder is a hybrid between a a motorcycle and a sports car, providing you great features of both. It effectively pairs the motorcycle like thrill of riding in the open air with the wonderfully visceral experience of driving a glued to the pavement roadster. A very unique and satisfying combination. If I wanted just the feel of a motorcycle I would simply ride a motorcycle. I much prefer the thrilling, highly enjoyable ride of the Spyder which no other vehicle offers. Those who want to make it more like a motorcycle are missing the point I think, and would ultimately transform it into something else. To me it's perfect just the way it is.

+1. :agree:

SXSMachine
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Whatever rings your bell and wouldn't it be a boring old world if we all loved the same thing, we'd never grow, learn or experience anything different, so thats all good.

If I was you I would be push for 4 wheels and the GG quadcycles for a ride or two, they are a bit of a maniac or the Laurent or I have eve seen on the net some guys who built a quad frame around a Subaru imprezza engine, an auto version and I dont think in their video on a twisty section they even got out of second.

But I'm certainly not saying that that people shouldn't have what they want but bike innovation is just about every model were always tinkering with our toys! :D

BLUEKNIGHT911
02-11-2012, 03:27 PM
PRO10IS YOU ROCK....MIKE.....:thumbup:

SXSMachine
02-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey peeps, just found a copy of a tilt/camber steer system for the Can Am , very oversimplified but its a demo none the less stripped back of all the technology after the mechanics. I wouldn't suggest this as even prototyped technology yet think it was just a class project. Never the less I remain very excited by the possiblity of a cambersteer Spyder.

http://youtu.be/gRKd_Q2-8cU

joet82
02-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Blasphemy! Why ruin something that is perfect and proven?

As for the lateral forces, the Spyder was never ment to be ridden like a car....you ride it like a quad or a snowmobile where you lean or slide your butt into the corners to counter the lateral G's. I can take a 45mph rated hwy interchange at 90mph without a worry.

WaltH
02-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Harley-Davidson has had a patent for a leaning trike for at least the past ten years. Still, you don't see any on the streets. I expect we will find BRP doing the same thing.

dave01
02-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Blasphemy! Why ruin something that is perfect and proven?.

Far from perfect, but ok for now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SXSMachine
02-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't think the current configuration is "perfect" when you can lift the inside wheel in a turn but I am more than happy to accept that people like it the way it is and enjoy it the way it is,. It does dtrike me as odd though, and i agree wholeheartedly it is meant to be ridden like a quad, that on the basis or riding it like a quad people dont have more to say oin actually having quad geometry available, it would certainly look more like a Spider!.

I think some people dont go far back enough in the thread though to know I want this model for the reasons of being an enabled Spyder rider, that it is a special model to me, but I just also happen to think that its a better idea as well and in an X configuration. :thumbup:

It makes sense when 1/3rd of the world and 2/5ths of the Potential global market for Spyders can ride a X configuration.

GregP
02-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Hey Guys & Gals...

Check these videos out. www.tiltingmotorwerks.com They kind of put a face to the still shots seen earlier in this thread. It doesn't light my fire, I'm really partial to my :spyder2: ride, but still interesting.

Regards....
GregP

SXSMachine
02-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey Guys & Gals...

Check these videos out. www.tiltingmotorwerks.com They kind of put a face to the still shots seen earlier in this thread. It doesn't light my fire, I'm really partial to my :spyder2: ride, but still interesting.

Regards....
GregP

I gotta agree atm there is nothing I have seen in production that makes for a great system to convert any 2 wheel bike into a Y tryke. They all end up with their fronts way out there, but b/c the Spyder is built like that only minor changes are required and you can basically hold the same body shape so not destroy the cosmetics to complete the transformation.

I think we have seen most of my leaning Tryke stuff but here are some other tilting vehicle video's and sites if people are interested.

The Wesll is one of the best concepts to pre-production vehicles I have seen so far.
http://www.wesllcorp.com

http://www.naro.co.uk/index2.htm

Although not leaning a boutique spinoff of a leading manufacturer.
http://www.eatv.de/com/modelle/modelle.php

Ride safe this weekend my amigos!

SXSMachine
03-05-2012, 11:35 PM
It doesn't lean but if you put some flat/fat tyres on it I think it woiuld be closer to a road going concern than a quad. If it did tilt in this configuration gee it would be very close the the Wesll concept and could work fabulously on road and off-road.

41689 41690

SC_DOC
03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Harley-Davidson has had a patent for a leaning trike for at least the past ten years. Still, you don't see any on the streets. I expect we will find BRP doing the same thing.

Actually Harley built a prototype called the Penster that is in the Harley Museum.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/04/harley-davidson-shows-off-penster-trike-prototypes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TJd-5K5MtE

;)

daveinva
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Actually Harley built a prototype called the Penster that is in the Harley Museum.

;)

And that's not out on the streets, now is it? ;)

I'd love to have a leaning Spyder-- as another model. NOT one that replaces the current design, which I also enjoy.

Bob Denman
03-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Eventually (I think!), somebody will bring one to the market and it'll be up to the buying public to decide which one they like better...

TuckMiddle
03-06-2012, 11:54 AM
"Each to their own notion", said the old woman as she kissed the cow...

"So I see", said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw!! :yikes:
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Tuck

Bob Denman
03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I hadn't heard that one in a very looong time!
Thanks for the mammaries! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_110.gif :roflblack:

DragonLorD
03-06-2012, 01:28 PM
If it leans, it looses frunk, no thanks, I like my frunk
wanna lean? - get two wheeler

SXSMachine
03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
And that's not out on the streets, now is it? ;)

I'd love to have a leaning Spyder-- as another model. NOT one that replaces the current design, which I also enjoy.

This is what I think will happen, its going to happen ....... and X bikes will also come out from Can Am as well as the Y design, half the world can ride them on the road so why ignore that? :thumbup::thumbup:

SXSMachine
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
I was able to have a conversation with my Roads and traffic authority here in my State in Australia yesterday and as an "Enabled" rider, basically given an engineers report I can design something with them that will be safe enough to run AND provides a better solution than riding anything else I can design both a Y trike and a X bike (quadracycle - leaning in this case).

So given some coversation with some design engineers here I can get a leaning design down and then get it made or still trying to look in Europe to see if anyone there has done anything as say France and Germany which are prolific bike customisers and have 4 wheelers legal on the road so I'm SURE sombebody must have done something.

If not I'll have to start from scratch myself and I have the concepts and the precedents to work with from other leaning bikes its just a matter of applying them to the Spyder. Be a hell of a project and cost a a gazillion dollars I dont have if I do it over here, but I'll probably have to do at least the drawings here.

Anyway lets see what we can find out if it takes me a year to come up with a design and build that would probably be a good thing as I hope another business idea I'm starting up will make me enough maney to help make this product and then I maybe able to do that privately and maybe put it on the market at least in the US and Europe, ironically not be able to do it in Australia.

Wanted to talk to ISCI about it but havent been able to get a hold of Darrell does anyone know him or their latest e-mail address?

Cheers

Gavin

Bob Denman
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
An ambitious undertaking to be sure; the best of luck to you! :thumbup: Please keep us informed on how it progresses...
Regarding ISCI:
I'll see if I can get an email address or phone number for you...

I couldn't find an email address... :opps:
Phone numbers I did find! :thumbup:
Toll free: (might not wok on an internatinal call...):dontknow:
1 800 838 9421
OR..
1 334 277 2224 phone #
OR
1 334 277 9648 fax #

FrankPa
03-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Can-Am MP3... ooops, I mean Piaggio...

SXSMachine
03-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Can-Am MP3... ooops, I mean Piaggio...

Only time you'll notice it Frank is when somebody turns inside you doing twice your speed in the twisties! :opps: :thumbup::thumbup:

rrman01
03-08-2012, 08:50 AM
i will be following this with intrest also tilting hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,

Sarge707
03-08-2012, 01:16 PM
http://youtu.be/aw5lelxh0a0

I had one of these. Paid $2,300 . Nothing but Problems- never even rode it - GAVE away for $1,000 . Many parts were Not as pictured- it was a total disaster. I was just Happy to get it out of the garage!:yikes:

SXSMachine
03-08-2012, 06:52 PM
i will be following this with intrest also tilting hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,

Why watch rrman?? Get involved! :)

Let me know your thoughts or what yor up to, this is something cant commercially do in Australia except for people with similar afflictions IF the engineer says its a goer and suited to the purpose there-of.

Raptor
03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
If it leans, it looses frunk, no thanks, I like my frunk
wanna lean? - get two wheeler

:thumbup: Exactly. Just my 2 cents, doesn't mean anything - But I agree with you.

SXSMachine
03-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Nothing Polarises opinions like changes in things that they like. :yikes:

Well there's no need to feel threatened because this wont be a change to your Y-ike. At the moment I don't even know if it will happen for me let alone be out in the world doing anything. I just anticipate if I do it I would like to try and recoup some of the cost by either onselling drawings or by patenting systems etc. People like to crawl all over their Y-ike like a Spyder then you should be allowed to do that and I'm not even invoiting other people to change in that regards.

But this is something that is best possible ride for me, the Can Am SE5 just happens to be the best engine config for me and the Spyder perhaps represents the least amount of changes neccessary to make what I want to make. So sorry to have chosen the Syder to work with. :opps::(

DragonLorD
03-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Look Guys,
leaning reverse trike is far from being anything new. Crowd in Italy is making leaning DUCATI, crowd in Germany is making leaning Triumph, also conversions are available from others.
How many you seen on the road?
Leaning Spyder? - it will look nothing like a Spyder, it will ride nothing like a Spyder so it will not be a Spyder. If someone thing that all it's gonna be is a current configuration but leaning may also be disappointed .
keep a width of current Spyder on leaning model would costs a lot alone, next you need round pattern tyres, strip entire belly, reposition both radiators( possibly on front, instead of frunk), redesign entire breaking system yadayadayadayadadaaaa . That is all possible, all doable, all been done already, what seems to be a big job to me is - not to make it ugly and that is going to be a challenge.
price mark? - I wouldn't be surprised if it is Current Spyder price +$10K , and maybe I would be surprised that it's not more actually.

I can see BRP entering this pond only for sake of being first factory manufacturer of such a thing, not for profits.
if BRP would want to increase sales, which doesn't seem to be a case, they must put decent engine in that Beast to attract young, performance oriented riders but since it didn't happen till now - 5years on the market, I losing my hopes at this stage.
HOWGH

Raptor
03-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Nothing Polarises opinions like changes in things that they like. :yikes:

Well there's no need to feel threatened because this wont be a change to your Y-ike. At the moment I don't even know if it will happen for me let alone be out in the world doing anything. I just anticipate if I do it I would like to try and recoup some of the cost by either onselling drawings or by patenting systems etc. People like to crawl all over their Y-ike like a Spyder then you should be allowed to do that and I'm not even invoiting other people to change in that regards.

But this is something that is best possible ride for me, the Can Am SE5 just happens to be the best engine config for me and the Spyder perhaps represents the least amount of changes neccessary to make what I want to make. So sorry to have chosen the Syder to work with. :opps::(

Well I sure would not give up on the idea - even if you only get one built for yourself. This sounds like a real passion for you so see it to through to the end - whether it happens or not. You never know. I wish you nothing but the best of luck with it.

Sarge707
03-09-2012, 05:32 PM
The Piaggio MP3 is Great handling but has a Very Narrow stance compared to the Spyder.
The wider the wheelbase the more gradual the turns.
My goal is to add a RT in my stable with the RS by the time I,m 65. Got 20 Months to do it!:ohyea:

SXSMachine
03-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Look Guys,

Leaning Spyder? - it will look nothing like a Spyder, it will ride nothing like a Spyder so it will not be a Spyder.

keep a width of current Spyder on leaning model would costs a lot alone,

next you need round pattern tyres,
strip entire belly,
reposition both radiators( possibly on front, instead of frunk),
redesign entire breaking system
That is all possible, all doable, all been done already, what seems to be a big job to me is - not to make it ugly and that is going to be a challenge.
price mark? - I wouldn't be surprised if it is Current Spyder price +$10K , and maybe I would be surprised that it's not more actually.

Sounds like you have thought about the process while in possesion of one and your saying as well you've actually seen it so I'd be very keen if you had any links or were able to find any links to it.

next you need round pattern tyres, - Yes and they will likely be taller with current vision
strip entire belly, Not sure why you think but extra height tyres will likely negate
reposition both radiators( possibly on front, instead of frunk), Id like to relocate them to make that part of the bike narrower because I'd like the overall front track to be narower as well
redesign entire breaking system Not sure of the technical resons for this so is there something I don't know about the current braking system?

That is all possible, all doable, all been done already, what seems to be a big job to me is - not to make it ugly and that is going to be a challenge. This is the bit if its all been done already i dont want to recreeate the wheel, design while somewhat rewarding is just an overhead at this point so if you know where this has already been done can you please point me to it? I'm sure everyone would love to see it anyway so we may as well air it here.:pray:

price mark? - I wouldn't be surprised if it is Current Spyder price +$10K , and maybe I would be surprised that it's not more actually. I'd consider a front accident damage bike a $5k kit and a even $5k installation to come out around even on a similar Km's 2nd hand bike to be an acceptable outcome for someone who wanted one.

The engine doesn't worry me and I dont think it will for most people I think would buy such a quadracycle other people making quadracycles could worry about other engines for performance. :D

DragonLorD
03-09-2012, 06:53 PM
SXS,
i think that you are looking for something what is out there already - definitely not a leaning Spyder if you prefer narrover body. I think you may be a fish from BRUDELI of SUNNY pond , maybe just conversion is all what is needed for your happiness and in that case you good to go after MONSTROSITY ( DUCATI MONSTER ) or SIXMONKEYS ( TRIUMPH ) , which both are decent pieces of engineering and craftsmanship . So I think it's all good news for you, no limits, just go, get it and enjoy it. I am almost sure that there is crowd in States with reverse triked YAMAHA R1 with $50K tag but I might be wrong.

Why Striped Belly? - oh common, you are not going to put 20" on the front in order to be able to lean a bit right? It still won't be big enough for leaning current Spyder and not to rip "wings" off.

Why redesign breaking system?
Current Spyder = some 30" Tyre Surface grounding ( depense what size your fronts are )
Leaning Trike = Some 8" Tyre surface grounding max. ( any given time )
....almost 400% difference in ground resistance ?
....need to go into details?
well, I didn't think so.

BTW , I know nothing more than any one else.
Putting pros and cons down its current non leaning Spyder for me , I am definitely not saying that they shouldn't make it, not at all, I am just not going to buy it, that's all.
Ryde Safe

SXSMachine
03-09-2012, 07:52 PM
SXS,
i think that you are looking for something what is out there already - definitely not a leaning Spyder if you prefer narrover body. I think you may be a fish from BRUDELI of SUNNY pond , maybe just conversion is all what is needed for your happiness and in that case you good to go after MONSTROSITY ( DUCATI MONSTER ) or SIXMONKEYS ( TRIUMPH ) , which both are decent pieces of engineering and craftsmanship . So I think it's all good news for you, no limits, just go, get it and enjoy it. I am almost sure that there is crowd in States with reverse triked YAMAHA R1 with $50K tag but I might be wrong.

Why Striped Belly? - oh common, you are not going to put 20" on the front in order to be able to lean a bit right? It still won't be big enough for leaning current Spyder and not to rip "wings" off.

Why redesign breaking system?
Current Spyder = some 30" Tyre Surface grounding ( depense what size your fronts are )
Leaning Trike = Some 8" Tyre surface grounding max. ( any given time )
....almost 400% difference in ground resistance ?
....need to go into details?
well, I didn't think so.

BTW , I know nothing more than any one else.
Putting pros and cons down its current non leaning Spyder for me , I am definitely not saying that they shouldn't make it, not at all, I am just not going to buy it, that's all.
Ryde Safe

No to Brudelli who are not is production and 3 times too wide on track front.

No to Ducati whatever it is for same reason and both are not 4 wheels.

Not quite sure of the triumph (sixmokeys?). Havent seen it I dont think.

So no I'm not looking for something thats already out there if those are what you are thinking you not on the same page I'm specifically looking for a 4 wheel leaning bike like the Tesseract although the design of my leaning system is different.

I have seen the Y-ikes drawing/ photoshop/ prototype of a Ducati and R1 with a very neatly tucked in front end, again not close to what I am after, mobility is part of my issue and sports bikes are not the focus of what I am doing anyway.

In terms of knocking the belly on the ground depends where you mount the axis points of the arms for tilting, definately ways around it and my design wont be imapacted by that but also in my design I do want a skinnier front end where the radiators are mounted and a narrower track at the front.

Braking system is just going to be assess what calipers etc are in place and take into account the weight of the machine and rider plus the fact it has twice the contact patch of a motorcycle although less than a Spyder. No biggie to figure out, I have to have a Roadworthy engineer approve all that and possibly be the end designer in the first place.

Its not a list of pro's and cons to me but i think you just had the wrong picture in your head of what I was looking at designing and doing. Given you are looking for a more sporting engine I seriously doubt you would want to buy it as you say but thats OK I may only make one for me, I'd just like to be able to recoup some costs by selling the design or kits in the future. :D

SXSMachine
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I have applied for a permit with my own State authority here to put a tilt/camberstering system in place for a 3 wheeler and then for permission to add a 4th wheel. Technically I could add a 4th wheel and a "pretend" fold up side saddle seat and call it a side car. Either that or have the 4th wheel system removeable and ride track days to prove the concept and enjoy it to its full potential.

I have nothing against people enjoying what they have. I do think its exciting and a great next step to evolve the machine, products evolve and progress all the time and how many times do you get asked to voice an opinion on it? So have a say, be civil and have fun with it don't be offended. :2thumbs:

Well a status update is due because i do have somefeedback.

That is that locally with my State roads authority I have gained permission to design such a bike for my use and been reffered to what my state authorities consider to be the list of engineers who can design, build or amend a roadworthy vehicle/ bike to suit any non-standard requirements and in my case that will be to my requirements as an "enabled" spyder rider. :yes::yes::yes:

I have preliminary approval for both camber/tilt steer modification and for a 4th wheel, so essentially I am going to come out of the process with a fairly different machine but it will be familiar to Spyder riders as the basic body shape itself will not change so much just the suspension and drive line below it.

I've got my idea's now and even though in Australia I may not be able to make more of them for sale, if the unit turns out to be a performer i would be interested to take it into production both as a Y-ike where legal and as a (dont know if I'm settled on X-ike or K-ike but in reality I think the main struts will be represented by a K) 4wheeler a Quadricycle if you will.

So at any rate I have to try and do some industrial design drawing which I just cannot do because I am lucky to draw a stick figure. To combat that I guess I'll get a series of photo graphs off the net and say, not like that but like this until I have a series of cutout pictures that look, a I have a series of do's and dont's and maybe have the end picture of what it should perhaps look like and I'll start my engineering discussions with that.

If anyone enjoys industrial design drawing and rendering and would enjoy helping me out with this now is the time to put up your hand! ;)

Cheers Sydie's, long may you weave those roads!! :spyder2:

Warlock
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
This guy is trying to make a go at it.
http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/pages/products.html
David

SXSMachine
04-01-2012, 03:14 PM
This guy is trying to make a go at it.
http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/pages/products.html
David

Thanks Warlock (David) sorry to be a bit slow getting back to you, just out of hospital after getting vertebrae in my neck seized, still feeling pretty ****ty but cant spend all day in bed or up or even up or down like the Grand old Duke of Yorke's men. But yes I have looked at the online output of this guy a lot and even exchanged e-mails but his focus is just a single ended system at this point and they are a dime a dozen, what I am going to initially pitch is a leaning (I call it cambering because you use the sides of the regular rounded motorcycle tyre) quadcycle so the thing I really had to work on this differently to a deflection/torsion bar system they use as well. As is also the case with the Can Am Patent I believe.

be interesting if he got it going but it seems the mistake many start up designers like this make is they try to get all their money in return off the first few buyers and its ludicrously expensive and say a pending manufacturer have the same plan in terms of return, charge heaps for the first few and stuff en that there are people with significantly enough money out there to do it. If it ever gets to be a production piece for me the production price has to be affordable across the board or it may as well never see the light of day as there is no money in 25 units.

Also to be honest, I dont like the look of tilting works conversions at all and they are generally making long wheelbases longer which adds as much handling difficulty as enhancement in my book. But that's a personal opinion and not a one to one comparison of the features that make the bikes usable.

Thanks again Gavin :D

SXSMachine
04-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Was just in hospital getting some vertebrae seized in my neck, which was fun - NOT!, which gave me some time out.

I put it to good use and worked on a more detailed design of the rear end of the quadcycle.

Some investigation showed up some spectacularly cool stuff for the rear to make it all just a bit smart than A-arms and certainly advanced my trailing arm design. In doing so I hope the product will be vastly superior in prototype to reach the pre-production machine on the first attempt from a skeletal point of view and then it can just come down to a few cosmetics but the design should provide for as few chanes as possible for people to not have a huge outlay.

Going to take a while but hopefully things will pan out within 6months but I but in saying that watch around 12! :popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers and keep it sticky side down! ;)

SXSMachine
05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Delays always aggravate me, even if its within the same month the lack of movement on a project get me jumping. Still hope to meet with potential designers and manufacturers soon and then get on with it. :banghead::banghead: