PDA

View Full Version : Trip from Florida to New Jersey? Do we do it?

Florida girl
05-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Hello Fellow Spyder Riders! I have finally made my purchase! A 2011 RT Limited! I have owned it for 5 weeks now. I have been riding almost every day and loving it! Question for everyone: My husband and I are considering making the trip from South Florida to New Jersey in less than 2 weeks. The route we would take would be almost 1400 miles! Never thought we would have the guts to even consider that. Have any of you made long trips like this? Not sure if we should do it or not. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Just a note: We would get the first 1,000 mile check before we leave. In less than three weeks I have put over 500 miles on it. Almost 2 weeks more to ride and put miles on before we leave.

SpyderRyderTV
05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
You do know that there is a 600 mi ck. up and service :dontknow::lecturef_smilie:

dltang
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Long trips are no problem, many on this forum have done trips this long and way longer on both their GS/RS and RT's. My husband and I have traveled all the way from MI to Los Angeles and back on ours and had no problems. Go for it and enjoy your ride.

Pandy
05-02-2011, 11:59 PM
The only potential problem I can see is I-95:yikes:

Patrick

PCBeachBum
05-03-2011, 01:48 AM

Patrick

That's a problem I wouldn't want, except in an M1A1 Abrams Tank. :D

MouthPiece
05-03-2011, 05:46 AM

Patrick

and New Jersey drivers!!! <ducking> :yikes:

Chris

CyncySpyder
05-03-2011, 06:10 AM
:welcome: & :congrats:

You have a beautiful & capable machine to take your trips with. Last year, Teddy & I took his 2010 RT-S from Cincinnati to ST. George Island Florida with no Spyder problems at all. We got caught twice in thunderstorms, & the :ani29: handled them like a champ.

I'd recommend printing out the "Spyders to the rescue" (HOME PAGE) file so that you do have contact info for fellow Spyder Lovers along your possible route, just in case you would need assistance. Also, wouldnt be a bad idea to look up closest dealers to your anticipated route, as emergencies do happen to us all.

As mentioned, the 600 mile check is very important, oil change & to check everything over to make sure your good to go. We had our RT622 trailer with us, so we could pack just about everything needed. If you don't have the added luxury of pulling a trailer with you, make sure to pack wisely, as storage space for 2 for a long trip can add up quickly.

We just returned from a 2000 mile trip from SpyderFest with TEDDYS new 2011 RT-S & had the TIME OF OUR LIVES!!! Prepare for the trip & enjoy YOURSELVES. You have an amazing machine to take you on many adventures. Keep us posted on how everything goes, and Teddy & I wish you luck:2thumbs:

spyder3
05-03-2011, 07:01 AM

Patrick

Hey, I resemble that!!!:lecturef_smilie:

JJW SpyderRider
05-03-2011, 07:08 AM
Go for it! I only live 400 miles from Cuba, MO and Spyderfest but did 1500 miles last week on my GS :yes:. The RT is great for these longer rides.

Bob Denman
05-03-2011, 07:17 AM
...I'd recommend printing out the "Spyders to the rescue" (HOME PAGE) file so that you do have contact info for fellow Spyder Lovers along your possible route, just in case you would need assistance. Also, wouldnt be a bad idea to look up closest dealers to your anticipated route, as emergencies do happen to us all.

As mentioned, the 600 mile check is very important, oil change & to check everything over to make sure your good to go...

:agree::thumbup: I-95 isn't the only option...

nudle
05-03-2011, 07:42 AM
:gaah::gaah:Last leg of our trip back to Mississauga today.We are in Mentor Ohio and it is raining and cold. 5 hours to home where it is raining and 40F.I can't believe this:cus: weather,when is it going to warm up.

docdoru
05-03-2011, 07:54 AM
My husband and I are considering making the trip from South Florida to New Jersey in less than 2 weeks. The route we would take would be almost 1400 miles!
...or you can "hire" two ryders from Fl x-Press and cover the distance under 24 hours...:thumbup:

dave01
05-03-2011, 07:59 AM
...or you can "hire" two ryders from Fl x-Press and cover the distance under 24 hours...:thumbup:

Road trip.......road trip......

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Roger
05-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I have done from middletown, ny to myrtle beach,sc 1500 miles round trip no problem accept i hit humidity both ways so just prepare yourself well before the trip and make a list of dealers along your route just to be prepared. enjoy the ride!

boborgera
05-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Don't worry the Spyder excels at highway miles:thumbup:
But one thing to remember when you get to Jersey, Don't ask anyone any questions, we don't talk to anyone from out of State.:roflblack:

BikerDoc
05-03-2011, 09:28 AM
We just came back 1100 miles from Spyderfest - 725 miles day one and 350 day two and got home for lunch so now I am comfortable with up to 2000 miles with no sweat.. We also rode up in 13 hours of wind and rain with no problems so I no longer fear rain riding. The Spyder is magnificient to handle in bad conditions compared to other rides

spyder3
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
Don't worry the Spyder excels at highway miles:thumbup:
But one thing to remember when you get to Jersey, Don't ask anyone any questions, we don't talk to anyone from out of State.:roflblack:

That is totally not true. We just give out of staters bad directions!!:roflblack:

M2Wild
05-03-2011, 09:33 AM
Do the 600 mile service before leaving or plan on changing your own oil once you arrive NJ and follow up with the 600 mile serice once you get back. MIssing the 600 by several hundred miles isn't gonna make or break things.

WackyDan
05-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I rode over 11,000 miles last year on trips, with the longest trip being 3800 miles from NC up through KY and OH to NY and the Adirondacks on down through DC and home again.

That is why I bought my Spyder. Just pack smart and go! :thumbup:

Yardageman
05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Road trip.......road trip......

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Go for it. Have had Spyder RTS for 3 weeks and went from San Diego to San Fran. Back to SD then to Phoenix now in Las Vegas and to Palm Springs then back to SD to pick up 622 trailer on Friday then to San Fran. again next week. 3000 miles in 3 weeks. Headed out of San Fran. in a week or 2 but not sure to where. Have fun.

ArmyJoe
05-03-2011, 10:54 AM
It's sounds like you'll have any potential bugs worked out before you leave. My only concern is your choice of destination. :joke:

But seriously, if you're not accustomed to long trips, you may want to work up to that distance. You'd rather find out on 500-mile trip that you need more legroom (ie, highway pegs or floorboards), rather than on a 1500-mile trip.

Before anyone flames me, I was born, raised, and escaped from Jersey. :roflblack:

ARtraveler
05-03-2011, 11:02 AM
You are riding on a fine touring machine. The Spyder is a great ride for long trips. Advice above is all good.

I am not from that part of the country--but am guessing its quite congested as far as riding goes. For a while, I did some motorcycle commutes between Ft. Wayne Ind, to Duluth MN. Had to go through the Chicago metro area on that. That part was the least enjoyable for me.

As a newer rider, you might consider a less daunting ride.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Florida girl
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks so much everyone for all of your suggestions. I think we have decided to do it! We printed out the Spyders to the rescue, (thanks, great suggestion!) and just made our 600 mile check appointment with the dealer here. In regards to:
You do know that there is a 600 mi ck. up and service
Thank you so much. We did not know that. Should have read the manual more carefully. When we picked up the Spyder, the salesman told us there was only a 1,000 mile check! After speaking with them today they told us 600 miles. We have now made that appointment.
As far as I-95 goes, unfortunately we would have to be on I-95 for 3 hours from Jacksonville to Savanah. I am not looking forward to that part of the trip.
I am also in the process of getting together all of the Can Am dealers all the way up the coast so we will be prepared just in case. Let's hope we don't have to use them!
We have upgraded our AAA to the Plus RV plan. This allows us to have any motorcycles or RV's towed at no additional expense if needed. I guess we are just about ready! Thank you again for all of your suggestions. Will keep you posted on our trip. Should leave here on or about May 13th. Thanks again!

boborgera
05-03-2011, 02:05 PM
That is totally not true. We just give out of staters bad directions!!:roflblack:

Did you ever try to explain what a jug handle is to an out of Stater??:gaah:

M2Wild
05-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I am also in the process of getting together all of the Can Am dealers all the way up the coast so we will be prepared just in case. Let's hope we don't have to use them!
There is a Garmin POI file on this site that have all the Spyder Dealers programmed in. Anyone can point her to the link and save her some time???

Florida girl
05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks so much for the great Garmin suggestion. Sure will save me some time! Just did a search on the site here for the Garmin info. and contacted Firefly who told me where to get the link. Really appreciate your help! :thumbup:

To boborgera: Yes, hard to explain jughandle! lol Florida needs some. I think it would save many accidents from happening! Those U-turns still get me! lol

P.S. We live in Jersey for the summers and half of the fall. (Sometimes I like to forget that!) ha ha. Honestly, the Jersey shore is beautiful in the summers, but I think the rest of the country feels sorry for us living there. lol