PDA

View Full Version : Seat height and width

challman
05-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi all. I am still having issues with seat comfort on my Spyder RS. I purchased the Seal Floorboards, and that gave me numerous foot positions. I still get hip and lower back pain when I ride however. I think there is something spacific to me, I have always ridden Harleys and they are much narrower than the spyder. I believe my problem is 2 fold Width and seat height. I know I will eventually break in to the bike but in the mean time I limp when I get off even if I ride for only 15 or 20 minutes.

UNLESS
I sit on the back seat. I am rather tall and I have found that if I move my but to the back seat things are much more comfortable. I am not exactly sure of why but I think it is the added height. I tried putting a pillow on the front seat and the problem was somewhat improved. I am thinking of a pad to raise the seat height on the front. That being said the only thing I have seen that I know will raise it at least an inch is the Airhawk. I am afraid if I put enough air in it to raise me an inch or 2 that I will flop back and forth when I corner. I think I could get used to this and use my legs to counter, But I am wondering.

Im I the only one having this issue? and If not has one of you solved the problem? Is there a better way to raise the front seat height?

Your input would be appreciated....

Thanks
Cole

NancysToy
05-02-2011, 09:18 AM
The AirHawk is not meant to raise you. I agree that doing so could raise rider stability issues. For a quick solution, I would think a thick gel pad would do better. For a more permanent solution, I would suggest adding handlebar risers to ease your posture. That solution has helped others. You can also get a custom seat made by Russell Day-Long...and probably others. Explain to them that you need it two inches higher, and an inch backward or forward, and they will try to accomodate you. You might also contact Rick Mayer Seats (http://www.rickmayercycle.com/). Rick has a background in orthopedics, and may have a solution.

Trikeral
05-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I have a seat cushion made by american motorcycle specialties and it is wonderful. It is 3-layered with gelf , memory foam and sheepskin. I have used it on long rides and it is wonderful. It is two inches thick and will raise you at least an inch.

http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/

I hope it helps.

challman
06-11-2011, 03:30 AM
The AirHawk is not meant to raise you. I agree that doing so could raise rider stability issues. For a quick solution, I would think a thick gel pad would do better. For a more permanent solution, I would suggest adding handlebar risers to ease your posture. That solution has helped others. You can also get a custom seat made by Russell Day-Long...and probably others. Explain to them that you need it two inches higher, and an inch backward or forward, and they will try to accomodate you. You might also contact Rick Mayer Seats (http://www.rickmayercycle.com/). Rick has a background in orthopedics, and may have a solution.

Well I bought an airhawk. Blew it up. strapped it on. Now with my seal floorboards, and 4" handlebar risers, this is the most comfortable cycle I have ever owned. I believe I could consistantly burn through one tank after another, after another.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my spyder

PS
Thank you to John as Seal Floorboards

Still looking for that rubber kit

SpyderAnn01
06-11-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm glad you found a comfortable solution for me it was buying the RT instead of the RS.

IWN2RYD
06-11-2011, 09:13 AM
You are not alone. This is the very reason I could not use the seal boards. I needed my legs to be about 2" below all the places the SFB's offered. This is why I went with a different set and got that 2" drop... I could go almost an entire tank of fuel before getting the need to move around or take five off the seat... :2thumbs::spyder2::doorag:

SO are you really happy with the Airhawk? I see there are on sale and was thinking of pullng the trigger on the 14" touring one for our RT...

Sny
06-11-2011, 10:19 AM
My wife and I tried the airhawks and just couldn't get used to that unstable feeling. We kept reducing the pressure down to the point where it wasn't really doing any good at all and still we both felt like we were sliding off when cornering.

But that shouldn't stop you from trying one. Many many people are very happy with them. We couldn't return ours and had to invoke the manufacturers money back guarantee which was painless.

So feel safe trying one.

challman
06-14-2011, 10:54 PM
You are not alone. This is the very reason I could not use the seal boards. I needed my legs to be about 2" below all the places the SFB's offered. This is why I went with a different set and got that 2" drop... I could go almost an entire tank of fuel before getting the need to move around or take five off the seat... :2thumbs::spyder2::doorag:

SO are you really happy with the Airhawk? I see there are on sale and was
thinking of pullng the trigger on the 14" touring one for our RT...

Yes. I love it now. I will admit the extra 2 inches makes it so that I can simply move back slightly towards the back. They make it kind of like a flat seat. This is now the most comfortable bike I have ever been on. I just wish I had the money to put the new handlebar mount and longer aftermarket handlebars I would ideally have 6" of lift and 6" of pull back.... some day

I understand the detached feeling thing, but I just don't corner fast. I have found that 5 to 10 miles above the posted speed on curves doesn't even really require any weight shifting or anything like that and If there is weight shifting involved I use my feet and arms to do so.

I recomend that people try the inflatable cushion

daveinva
06-14-2011, 11:21 PM
My wife and I tried the airhawks and just couldn't get used to that unstable feeling. We kept reducing the pressure down to the point where it wasn't really doing any good at all and still we both felt like we were sliding off when cornering.

You think you can slide off the Airhawk? Try the Beadrider :D

Actually, as I've mentioned a few times around these parts, I *love* the Beadrider. Not for comfort-- it's actually not all that comfy on my behind, but I attribute a lot of sorrow to the infernal stock RS seat-- but for the help with saddle heat, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Beadrider dramatically helps my cornering-- it helps me slide *into* my turns as easily as it allows others to slide *out* of their turns.

It's not for everyone, but I was very impressed with how much the ability to easily slide across the seat to lean into a turn improved my cornering (versus the old and exhausting "lift my butt off the seat and squat down over inside" move before cornering).

Of course, if I'm not paying attention, i.e. when I *don't* prepare for a curve, the Beadrider does try to kill me. :joke: But then it's a nice reminder to pay attention to the road!

challman
06-15-2011, 04:53 AM
You think you can slide off the Airhawk? Try the Beadrider :D

Actually, as I've mentioned a few times around these parts, I *love* the Beadrider. Not for comfort-- it's actually not all that comfy on my behind, but I attribute a lot of sorrow to the infernal stock RS seat-- but for the help with saddle heat, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Beadrider dramatically helps my cornering-- it helps me slide *into* my turns as easily as it allows others to slide *out* of their turns.

It's not for everyone, but I was very impressed with how much the ability to easily slide across the seat to lean into a turn improved my cornering (versus the old and exhausting "lift my butt off the seat and squat down over inside" move before cornering).

Of course, if I'm not paying attention, i.e. when I *don't* prepare for a curve, the Beadrider does try to kill me. :joke: But then it's a nice reminder to pay attention to the road!

Rock on... Isn't it funny how many different people have different things that make them feel better about riding the Spyder? I would say that it is really as much a matter of experience as it is anything else.

Thanks for the comments