PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Deal with the Number?

Clinty76
05-01-2011, 10:48 AM
I've noticed that a lot of you have a number after your model. What exactly is this? Is it a production number?

2011 RT-S #???

Just curious!

Y Rider
05-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I've noticed that a lot of you have a number after your model. What exactly is this? Is it a production number?

2011 RT-S #???

Just curious!

It's the last set of numbers on your VIN code. It represents the unit number for that production of Spyders.

ARtraveler
05-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I am guessing you are referring to the Premier Edition models. As in--Mine is RTS #474. These were special spyders that had special badging, embroidered seats, etc. showing they were premier editions. I know they had them in 2008, and 2010. Not sure about offereings in 2011.

boborgera
05-01-2011, 06:00 PM
I am guessing you are referring to the Premier Edition models. As in--Mine is RTS #474. These were special spyders that had special badging, embroidered seats, etc. showing they were premier editions. I know they had them in 2008, and 2010. Not sure about offereings in 2011.

:agree:Premier Edition [Limited Edition]

arntufun
05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes my 08 Spyder is PE# 3494 of 2500. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Don't ask it's complicated !!!

redlightron
05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
My 2011 Limited RT does not have a number on the seat and I'm told they do not do that any longer.

M2Wild
05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
PE numbers. AKA .... the ones on the bleeding edge; problem finders.:roflblack:

boborgera
05-02-2011, 02:24 PM
My 2011 Limited RT does not have a number on the seat and I'm told they do not do that any longer.

Why!! No numbers, send it back.:roflblack:

Y Rider
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM

My RT Limited is #874. It's the last 3 digits on my VIN. I think they got away from putting a number on the seat like they did with the PE version because of the problems they had when replacing a few of the seats under warranty.

YPILOT
05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
In 2007 when the Spyder was introduced they were planning on the initial run to be 2500 units. These Spyders were the original Premier Editions with a # plate on the handle bar console and were yellow or silver. They were made on a pre order basis and the demand exceeded 2500 between 1000 to 1500 Spyders. They all were produced in 2007 and titled as 2008 models and all carried the Premier Edition plate. They were Premier Editions because they were the first ones made. A lot of owners became dissatisified because they produced more than 2500 but then again more people put down the $1000.00 deposit so more than 2500 were produced. The regular 2008 models began production in January 2008.
In 2010 when the RT was introduced the first ones were also Premier Editions. They didn't repeat the fiasco and only produced a certain # of Premier Edition RT-S which were all timeles black with the Premier Edition logo & # sewn into the seat. I don't know for sure the total # of RT Premier Editions built (maybe 1500), but when that # was produced they began the regular edition models in 2010. The regular edition RT models were offered in silver, blue and black I believe. :chat:

ARtraveler
05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Looks like YPilot got all the information. I could not remember the fine points off the top.

Firefly
05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
In 2007 when the Spyder was introduced they were planning on the initial run to be 2500 units. These Spyders were the original Premier Editions with a # plate on the handle bar console and were yellow or silver. They were made on a pre order basis and the demand exceeded 2500 between 1000 to 1500 Spyders. They all were produced in 2007 and titled as 2008 models and all carried the Premier Edition plate. They were Premier Editions because they were the first ones made. A lot of owners became dissatisified because they produced more than 2500 but then again more people put down the $1000.00 deposit so more than 2500 were produced. The regular 2008 models began production in January 2008.
In 2010 when the RT was introduced the first ones were also Premier Editions. They didn't repeat the fiasco and only produced a certain # of Premier Edition RT-S which were all timeles black with the Premier Edition logo & # sewn into the seat. I don't know for sure the total # of RT Premier Editions built (maybe 1500), but when that # was produced they began the regular edition models in 2010. The regular edition RT models were offered in silver, blue and black I believe. :chat:

Pretty close ---- BRP said they 'sold' around 2,650(??) PE models - they said that the numbers went above 2,500 due to dealer demos and Spyder Team models that were used on their various tours. Many were not too happy to get a number like 3,300 out of 2,500..... :(. They really screwed up on the original PE models - not sure how well they did with the other special releases--- the RTS limited and the Phantom Black limited models.

Unless you got #1 yours isn't worth any more than any other Spyder IMO.

Also - they originally were only going to make 1,500 PE models - but the down payments went so fast they upped it to 2,500 really quick.

Spyder sales have far exceeded what they expected.:thumbup:

ARtraveler
05-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Thought I read somewhere that Jay Leno got the yellow #1 when they first were introduced.

boborgera
05-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Thought I read somewhere that Jay Leno got the yellow #1 when they first were introduced.

YEP, That was a great advertisement for the Spyder:thumbup:

YPILOT
05-03-2011, 06:04 PM

That is correct. He had a vested interest in the Spyder. He asked for #1 and he got it.

bjt
05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Pretty close ---- BRP said they 'sold' around 2,650(??) PE models - they said that the numbers went above 2,500 due to dealer demos and Spyder Team models that were used on their various tours. Many were not too happy to get a number like 3,300 out of 2,500..... :(. They really screwed up on the original PE models - not sure how well they did with the other special releases--- the RTS limited and the Phantom Black limited models.

Unless you got #1 yours isn't worth any more than any other Spyder IMO.

Also - they originally were only going to make 1,500 PE models - but the down payments went so fast they upped it to 2,500 really quick.

Spyder sales have far exceeded what they expected.:thumbup:

Plus some shipping mix up that sent a number of PE Spyders to Australia as I recall.

dltang
05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Here you go, the full explanation from a previous thread.
Here is the actual letter of explanation from BRP's site regarding the Premier Edition Spyders
This is the link to the page on their site http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Co...0-bdb6061c860a

SPYDER NEWS

Back to news page
April 9, 2008, Spyder Announcements
PREMIERE EDITION SPYDER CLARIFICATION - APRIL 9, 2008

With the recent flurry of comments online and particularly on Can-AmTalk.com, we wanted to address the issues raised in the last few days. With the launch of Spyder, we're very proud of what we have created, including the Premiere Edition program but we've also made some mistakes and we want to clear the air.
We're just as excited about the open exchange of information as you are. We're very happy to see this level of exchange between Spyder owners and enthusiasts. Keep it coming! Even amid a few "conspiracy theories" out there, we actually enjoy reading the comments as the Spyder community grows!
Regarding the Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters, we want to acknowledge that we made a mistake on the numbering sequence and we want to apologize. The information we provided two weeks ago was wrong and we are sorry.
Now, let's set the record straight.
When we first began taking Premiere Edition pre-orders in February of 2007, our goal was to create an exclusive club for the first 2,500 North American Spyder roadster owners. This remains true today.
There are exactly 2,589 Premiere Edition Spyder owners in North America.
From this, we created the 2.5K owners program and provided the 2.5K owners map. Yes, we rounded down to 2,500!
We were pleasantly surprised to learn that some people actually took the time to count the names on the map and came up with 2,532! The difference with 2,589 is strictly a timing issue between the printing of the map and the actual final number in our system. Our intent was to promote the symbolic 2.5K number.
Furthermore, the confusion resides in the numbering sequence and we apologize for this, but want to further explain exactly what has happened.
As previously discussed on SpyderRyder.com, the two main reasons for the Premiere Edition Spyder sequence numbers exceeding #2,589 are the dealer demo units and the Try Spyder Tour units. In fact, I mentioned the final sequence number of Premiere Edition units should be at #3,306 in a recent Can-AmTalk forum. These 800 dealer/tour units were taken from the same sequence as the Premiere Edition vehicles to ensure that dealers and tour staff had display and demo units quickly for training and marketing purposes.
I also want to bring it to your attention that we recently discovered a mistake with the Premiere Edition numbering sequence. Contrary to the information that we had received, it turns out that we did include approximately 550 international/overseas units in the production line sequence for Premiere Edition vehicles. The original intent was to start a new numbering sequence for international/overseas units. Unfortunately, this did not occur and we are sorry.

With the addition of the 550 international/overseas units and the 800 or so dealer demo and tour units, it puts the final sequence number of Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters at 3,856. We apologize for the confusion, but want to assure you, as our most valued Spyder customers, there are only 2,589 Premiere Edition Spyder first owners in North America.
Again, we apologize for the confusion regarding the quantities of Premiere Edition Spyder roadsters.
Please e-mail SpyderTeam@BRP.com with any questions – our goal is to keep you informed and be a resource for all of your Spyder questions.
Sincerely,
Marc R. Lacroix
Can-Am Spyder Marketing Director

YPILOT
05-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks Deb for clearing up the muddy water. It really doesn't matter about the #'s because we love all Spyders equally. It's nice to see that Spyderlovers.com now has more than twice the number of members than Premier Spyder owners. Dennis
:congrats: Spyderlovers.com

arntufun
05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Yes my 08 Spyder is PE# 3494 of 2500. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: Don't ask it's complicated !!!

This wacko started all this commotion. Lamont should really have a talk with this guy. He is always starting trouble !!! :lecturef_smilie:

NHSpyderman
05-21-2013, 11:17 AM
:spyder2:here is a picture of my dashboard area....

CyncySpyder
05-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I think the numbering thing is a combination of all or some of these depending on your Spyder and now more numbers are being introduced into the fray. Cowtown has their first 6 RT Limiteds and Jim Potts Motor Group has the start of his Special Editions with mine being the first (JPMG SE1). We are going to need a score card pretty soon as Spyders become more and more popular. :D

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64717&d=1363621028 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64716)

asp125
05-21-2013, 11:40 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64717&d=1363621028 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2698&attachmentid=64716)

:banghead:
Spellcheck! Hope they didn't charge by the letter.

Chupaca
05-21-2013, 11:51 AM
:agree: maybe a little whiteout...:roflblack:

Blue Star
05-21-2013, 11:55 AM

2011 RT-S #???

Just curious!

By the OP writing "2011 RT-S #???" Could he be meaning SE5 or SM5? If so it shows if you have a manual 5 speed transmission, or the Sequential (I think that is what the S stands for) 5 Speed transmission. Just thinking.

arntufun
05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
There is only one Spyder with the black and yellow PE handlebar number plate. This
Spyder is possibly the rarest of them all. :doorag:

Ga Blue Knight
05-21-2013, 03:08 PM
My Spyder is a 2012 RT-S Limited, Quantum Blue with a Limited Brown seat, and it's number 1 in my book!

Pennyrick
05-21-2013, 03:24 PM
My wife's '12 RT limited is number 40 and mine is number 392. Hers was delivered in December 2011 and mine in February 2012. I guess that means they shipped 352 of them in just a couple of months.

Her 2010 model was number 438 and my 2011 model was 67.

This information and $1.85 will now get you a cup of coffee.

Ccol
05-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Plus some shipping mix up that sent a number of PE Spyders to Australia as I recall.

Quite a few Premier Editions came to Australia. I have a silver and black 2008 GS Premier Edition # 956, and love every minute of it. :2thumbs:
Col

CyncySpyder
05-22-2013, 05:55 AM
:banghead:Spellcheck! Hope they didn't charge by the letter.

When this was brought to Lens attention, he said he'd have new ones made up right away, & I was like NO WAY IN HELL, this makes it even more special :yes::yes::doorag::yes::yes:

Bob Denman
05-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Randy,
3494 out of 2500?? :shocked:
Is that what makes yours so rare and valuable? :roflblack: