PDA

View Full Version : gps for the rs s

bluebeard22
04-28-2011, 04:22 PM
can anybody give me a little advice on a good gps for the rs s
and the best way to mount it,
and is there any difference between a motorcycle gps and a regular car gps.

MMcc
04-28-2011, 04:58 PM
We have the garmin nuvi 500 but the 550 is very similar. They are waterproof which is important. I found an inexpensive mount on ebay for around $12 that will fit on the spyder handlebars. Since most motorcycle mounts are for 1" bars they will not work on the spyder. It does not comes with the attachment cradle for the garmin but the stock one that is included with the Nuvi snaps onto the ball. Here is the item information from ebay.

Item number: 360289560133
Item location: California, United States
Ships to: Worldwide
Payments:
PayPal See details
History: 16 sold

Roger
04-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Also check with any motorcycle dealership they may have one or at least order you one remember our bars are 7/8".

MMcc
04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
The inside guts of the handlebar is 7/8" diameter but the outside portion where you can mount the gps with a clamp on unit is larger. Therefore a stock motorcycle or bike mount will not fit that larger diameter. You need a clamp that will fit up to 1.5" diameter.

wyliec
04-28-2011, 07:19 PM
The inside guts of the handlebar is 7/8" diameter but the outside portion where you can mount the gps with a clamp on unit is larger. Therefore a stock motorcycle or bike mount will not fit that larger diameter. You need a clamp that will fit up to 1.5" diameter.

If you are talking the piece on the right side handlebar, there have been many that have cut that off exposing 7/8". RAM has many type mounts. I have cut that piece off. But, I have mounted a time piece in that area.

wyliec
04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
can anybody give me a little advice on a good gps for the rs s
and the best way to mount it,
and is there any difference between a motorcycle gps and a regular car gps.

There have been many here that have gone with a regular gps and bring a baggie for rainy weather. I have a standard gps from Garmin. The only thing I wanted was to be able to hear the gps through my Sony bluetooth.

Check this thread out for more info:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13128&highlight=handlebars

weaponjr
04-28-2011, 08:35 PM
I have the Garmin 265WT, It works great on the Spyder. It's not waterproof but I put it away if it rains. Works really good in the sun too. I used a short ram mount off the top of the dash behind the windshield. Looks good and is eally easy to see while riding...

Weaponjr...:spyder2::spyder2::spyder2:

WJS
05-04-2011, 07:17 AM
I'm using the Garmin Nuvi 550. I wanted a GPS that has a touch screen designed for use with gloves. Bluetooth support is important too. It works really well with my Android phone and the SENA headset.

I'm still trying to find the best way to mount it without drilling. Let me explain. I don't want it on the handle bars; I don't want it to move as I'm steering. On the RS, there's that area to the sides of the gauge cluster. What I've done temporarily is to use 3M double-sided tape and with the Nuvi mount. I know, ghetto but it works. This method does not provide much security either but it would be pretty obvious if some one start pulling at it. It's on there pretty good. I've removed the tape once and it did not damage the console plastic.

I might have to drill to securely mount it but like I said, I don't like in on the bars. Good luck!

NancysToy
05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
The GPS is your preference. I'd suggest using a RAM mount. There are several options on the RS for mounting types/locations.

spydrluvr
05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
I ha e a zumo 220 on my 2009 gs ...it is mounted on the bars with the mount from garmin an d works fine

M2Wild
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
I used a good quality ram mount from eBay (brass and stainless steel). Remove the extra plastic handle bar cover and the mount fits right into that space. I find the wider screen GPS tends to get in the way so I selected the smaller Nuvi version (personal preference). Don't ride in the rain so I don't care about waterproofing.