PDA

View Full Version : Seat Treatments

gotafly
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
I was wondering if the seat on my SE5 is made of Vinyl or Leather? What recommendations for treating this material witout making it too slippery?

DrDave

ataDude
04-28-2011, 05:58 PM
I was wondering if the seat on my SE5 is made of Vinyl or Leather? What recommendations for treating this material witout making it too slippery?

DrDave

Stock = Vinyl

buck1234
04-28-2011, 07:19 PM

DrDave

Having almost 5 decades of riding behind me I've found that leather is the best for comfortable grip on all motorcycle seats. I bought a pair of high end textile pants but found that I slid around like a pin ball. Took a lot of the fun out of riding the Spyder.

My solution was simple. I went to a Tandy Leather store and bought some black dyed Goatskin Leather. It's soft and really rugged leather. Sat on the bike and had my wife use a sewing crayon and outline where my seat was on the seat. Made a templet out of paper and then cut the leather. Two exact pieces. Put some cushion fabric for a bit of loft and sewed them together. Then sewed diamond patterns on the piece then sewed it on the pants.

Your outline isn't necessarialy the size of the finished piece. You only need it to look good and give you the friction against the vinyl or leather seat you have.

If you make it look like a pair of pockets and not sew the upper seam shut, you will have a pair of leather pockets. I've gotten a number of positive comments about my home grown solution even though my pants are Navy blue and the pockets are Black.

Just my 0.02 cents

Buck1234 :2thumbs: :yes: