PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Questions
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Hello..Considering trading in my two wheels for three..Found your DB and signed up. I'm 55 years old, live in East Texas, and currently ride a 2005 BMW R1200RT. I'm interested in a Spyder and would like to hear from those who own them. I'm particularly interested in reliability issues, common mechanical problems, and difficulty of required maintenance and cost of maintenance..However, all pros and cons appreciated.Thanks in advance..:thumbup:

M2Wild
04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
:welcome:

FANG
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
:welcome: You should find all the information you are seeking on this forum. Remember though that when a person does have a problem their voice become the loudest heard. The majority of spyder owners have not had any problems with their spyders and I can tell you from my experience when I have had a problem BRP has always stepped up to the plate and fixed it. I would recommend purchasing the BEST extended warranty only because of the complicated electronics on the spyder. I have had mine since June 08 and I love it. Again welcone and good luck in your decision - but you will not go wrong with a :spyder2:.

Raptor
04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the community, Sir. First off let me say Thank You for all that you did. It takes special people to serve like that. Now, off to the Spyder!

We have 2 RS models in our household, and they have been pretty good so far. The '09 Phantom gets the most use by far and is my primary transport. I have put 13,300 miles on her since July of 2010. In that time I have had:

- 4 oil changes (dealer did the first 2)
- DPS (steering box) replacement. This was a recall
- set of tires. The first set lasted 11,000 miles.
- 2 ECU flashes. Both were service bulletins
- regular maintenance performed as per BRP specs.
- various fit/finish issues

The 2010 RS-S has been wonderful. This machine has 7,000 and change on her and outside of regular maintenance, recall work on that one includes the DPS, a clutch replacement, and that's about it. I would rate the reliability of these machines as good and very good respectively. I rate them as somewhat maintenance intensive.

I cannot speak to the RT models but if you do some research on this site you will find all of the answers to your questions. The folks out here are a fine group and an ecxellent source of information and knowledge. And definitely RIDE ONE BEFORE YOU BUY!

Hope this was helpful. Good luck with your search. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
:welcome: Check out the thread "Exploring RT Ownership". It is currently in the queue. There is a lot of information posted that is just what you are looking for.

Bob Denman
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the Party!! :D The Missus and I ryde an RT A&C model and don't regret stepping up to "Life on A Tripod" for a second... :2thumbs:

Yardageman
04-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome!
Just traded in my BMW K1200LT 2 weeks ago for a semi automatic RT-S 2011. Got tired Of the Weight Management issues and also wanted a safer ryde. Am 68 and ready for a easier time riding . Love my RT

Questions
04-27-2011, 12:02 PM
thanks guys..
planning to test ride one tomorrow..
:clap:

bruiser
04-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Have had my 2010 RT S since May 2010. Have about 3,000 miles on it. Other than the BRP campaigns for DPS etc., I've had only small issues. Dealer services being one of them. Find a good reputable dealer with knowledgeable techs. Love my RT and am teaching the wife to drive it. Take a test drive if you can, you'll be hooked.:ohyea:

Slybird
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
:welcome: I've owned my RT-S since last August and my wife has had her RT-AC since December. My RT-S is closing in on 10K and Kathy's is closing in on 6K. Haven't had a bit of problems with either on of them. We just got back from a four-day, 1,000 mile trip around the state of Oregon, going through beautiful sunshine (:hun:), some rain (in Oregon? :dontknow:) and even a bit of snow on the last day as we went over the east side of Mt. Hood :helpsmilie:. Both :spyder2:'s performed like the champs they are. Give one a test drive and you'll be hooked! I've been riding for over 40 years, gone through three Wings and an Ultra Classic and my RT-S is the FINEST touring machine I've ever owned. Take care, my friend!

dancogan
04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey, Lawman, welcome to the site! I came from exactly where you are: had a 2005 BMW R1200RT. Wonderful bike and I still miss it - except for traffic, or sand in turns, or holding it up with a passenger. Seriously, the BMW is a great bike. The Spyder is a different kind of bike. It might take at lease a couple of test rides to get it figured out enough to know if you like it. I love mine!

bikeguy
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi Lawman and :welcome: to a fellow Texan. I've owned my base RT for a little over a year now and was riding a 2000 BMW R1100RT before I got it. I loved the BMW on the road but, frankly, I was having a hard time holding it up and maneuvering it at low speed and stops. This problem was even worse when my wife was on behind me and that was most of the time. I kept the BMW when I bought the Spyder because I still loved to ride it but after about 9 months I sold it to a friend because I wasn't riding it much at all.

Maintenance on the Spyder is similar to the BMW. I guess the Canadians are a whole lot like the Germans and they both believe in more maintenance than the Japanese. BRP recommends changing the oil every 3000 miles and that's overkill with synthetic oil but I bought a maintenance contract with mine so the oil changes are being done. Other routine maintenance is very similar to BMW except BMW recommends more frequent valve clearance adjustment as you would expect with BMW's pushrods vs. Spyder's overhead cam and bucket and shim design.

I have 15,000 miles on the RT with only very minor issues. I have had two body panels blow off but both were replaced at no charge. BRP is improving the mounting systems but they are still not perfect. To put it in perspective a friend of mine had a panel blow off his 2000 R1100RT as well. Mine has gone into Limp Home Mode twice. Both times it cleared up by simply removing the key, walking a few steps away, and replacing it. That shouldn't happen but I guess I look it like having to reboot Windows once in a while. It's just not enough of a problem to complain about. My biggest complaint is the lack of fuel range. It has the same size tank that my BMW had but it only gets 28 - 30 mpg where the BMW got 42 - 50mpg. I still ride with a lot of friends on BMW's and I have to stop a lot more often for fuel than they do.

My wife and I both love the Spyder RT. It rides comfortably, handles well once you get used to it, has plenty of power for touring, has the best fairing either of us has ever ridden behind, and doesn't fall over if my foot slips in a sandy parking lot. It rides differently than a 2-wheeler. It may feel a little squirrely to you at first and might even feel like it wants to pitch you off in a corner. You just have to get used to it and then it doesn't feel like that anymore. Take a LONG test ride if possible. It takes a little time to get used to it.

Cotton

dltang
04-27-2011, 02:57 PM

DynamoBT
04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
:welcome: Hope to soon be able to say a ":congrats:" on your new Spyder!! Coming from a touring platform, you are probably looking at the RT with the most interest. But, ride both the RS and RT if you can. They are as different as night and day. Or at least I think so. The RT feels like a "man's" bike to me. Big!!! HUGE is more like it!! The RS fits me very well. But most guys seem to want highway pegs on the RS because the angle of the knee bend required when seated is a bit much.

To each according to his needs! Either the RS or RT is a great choice!! Hope to see you on three soon!!!

SpyderAnn01
04-27-2011, 04:27 PM
E:welcome:

Spyder Cat
04-27-2011, 04:51 PM
:welcome: You've come to the right place to explore. A wealth of info and a lot of great people on this site.

My husband and I were in a similar spot just about a year ago when we traded two wheels for three. In April 2010, we brought home the RT-SE5 and have put on over 17,000 miles since. Just a few weeks later, we added the sporty RS-SE5 and have over 6,000 on it. :thumbup: Because of the comfort and stability of the Spyders, we're ryding more -- and enjoying more -- than we ever did on two wheels.

We'll be eager to hear what you think after you take a test ride. :2thumbs:

nanaskids
04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Welcome from one fellow Texan to another!!

You'll love it, cross my heart!!

boborgera
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
:welcome: My advice is take one for a long test ride, It Handel's more like a ATV than a bike.
But don't let that throw you, you'll get used to it.:thumbup:

COOLMACHINE
04-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Hello Lawman,
The Spyder is a different beast and I love the stability of it.
If you go to the search feature and type in the word "Poll." You can get some quick percentages on many questions regarding the spyder.
Look down the second column from the left and you can quickly separate the poll questions from the rest.
Purchase a warranty and enjoy the ride.

SilverFox1
04-27-2011, 09:27 PM
WARNING! Lawman,,, It might be too late already. I get the feeling that you are past the point of no return. But then again, I'm not a real doctor (just a Saturday night one). First you ask questions, then you go for a test ryde, hummm. I bet you the next thing you'll notice is your bank account is going to start deflating a bit. Don't be afraid. The smyles and myles will make it all worthwhile. You've been bitten! I might as well congratulate you right now!!!:congrats:

SilverFox :welcome:

Marker
04-27-2011, 09:39 PM
WARNING! Lawman,,, It might be too late already. I get the feeling that you are past the point of no return. But then again, I'm not a real doctor (just a Saturday night one). First you ask questions, then you go for a test ryde, hummm. I bet you the next thing you'll notice is your bank account is going to start deflating a bit. Don't be afraid. The smyles and myles will make it all worthwhile. You've been bitten! I might as well congratulate you right now!!!:congrats:

SilverFox :welcome:
:agree: Well Said !! :welcome:

Phil
04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey LAWMAN!!!!

If you find yourself in Tyler, PM or better, email me. I'll put you on mine and let you play. I'm 58.... we'll compare hairlines.

1BLACKSPYDER
04-28-2011, 12:05 AM
:welcome: Lawman,
I have also just sold my R1200GSA. I'm 52 and have been in the motorcycle industry for over 33 years. have owned 40+ two wheelers you name it I have owned it. The wife and spent 2 days at my dealers demo open house riding both the RT-S and the RS-S. Had my heart set (& check book) on buying the RT-S Limited. after 2 days of awesome test rides we ended up with the 2011 RSS-SE5. I know this sound a little funny coming from a long term touring rider but in the end the fun factor on the RS completly beat out the comfort factor on the Limited. (at laest for us). Five days later we now have 2 RSS-SE5 thing 1 & thing 2 .For what it's worth I say ride both more than once, forget everything you think you know about riding and don't over think it. Just relax and let the spyder do all the work and just like me and all the other spyder lovers on this site you too will be sold. Good luck on you choice either way RT or RS you win!!:2thumbs:

ijon1
04-28-2011, 06:06 AM

fastfraser
04-28-2011, 06:18 AM
:welcome: Give the both a try ,the semi auto and the standard as well take them for a good ride as you will find them totally different from your present ride. Just remember to hold on loosely.

Questions
04-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Wow! You guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome :ohyea:

Looks like my test ride may have to wait til tomorrow..I'm the Pct. Three Constable here in Shelby Co. and it looks like I have some dad gum work to do today...Thanks for all the replies! I'll let you all know how the test ride goes..tomorrow I hope...

Thanks

Questions
04-28-2011, 09:55 PM
okay, got my test ride in today..Rode a RS with electric shift and an RT with manual shift. That RS is quite a hoot:ohyea: I think I actually prefer the electric shift but I worry about mechanical reliability..The RT provided much better wind protection but the clean air of the RS was actually very nice today and would be fine for me as long as the weather was nice..The power and quickness is quite impressive. Steering would take a little getting used to. Very little input required. I liked the brakes on the RT better.. Dodging a cinder block in the middle of my lane might present a challenge but I guess that's true for just about anything..I think the thing I liked best is true for both models and that is I could stop worrying about sand/oil/gravel and having to make sudden unexpected stops while turning or cornering. Not once did I think about falling down...:clap::clap: If I were choosing tonight I think I'd go with the RT Limited with electric shift if I could afford it. After coming off my BMW R1200RT I'd be hard pressed to be without cruise control and tunes would be nice and would add to a very laid back attitude when touring. It looks like these dudes would be difficult to work on and that is one part I really don't like..I do all my own service on my BMW and having to learn to service this machine really puts a damper on it for me..The more I think about it the more I think I need to buy both an RS and an RT and then sell my bike once I'm comfortable on the SPYDER..:2thumbs:

Yfactor
04-28-2011, 10:40 PM
okay, got my test ride in today..Rode a RS with electric shift and an RT with manual shift. That RS is quite a hoot:ohyea: I think I actually prefer the electric shift but I worry about mechanical reliability..The RT provided much better wind protection but the clean air of the RS was actually very nice today and would be fine for me as long as the weather was nice..The power and quickness is quite impressive. Steering would take a little getting used to. Very little input required. I liked the brakes on the RT better.. Dodging a cinder block in the middle of my lane might present a challenge but I guess that's true for just about anything..I think the thing I liked best is true for both models and that is I could stop worrying about sand/oil/gravel and having to make sudden unexpected stops while turning or cornering. Not once did I think about falling down...:clap::clap: If I were choosing tonight I think I'd go with the RT Limited with electric shift if I could afford it. After coming off my BMW R1200RT I'd be hard pressed to be without cruise control and tunes would be nice and would add to a very laid back attitude when touring. It looks like these dudes would be difficult to work on and that is one part I really don't like..I do all my own service on my BMW and having to learn to service this machine really puts a damper on it for me..The more I think about it the more I think I need to buy both an RS and an RT and then sell my bike once I'm comfortable on the SPYDER..:2thumbs:

:agree: Have both a 2010 RS and 2010 RT . Actually the RS I bought for my son but you know how that works :roflblack:.

Riversong
04-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I have the RT with electronic shift and can tell you that you should seriously consider whether you go with the RS or RT. I have owned 2GS model BMW's and one LT. Love those beemers! RT vs RS- tough decision. Good luck from Spyderfest in Cuba Mo.