PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia State Police ready to Roll

Tony Holbrook
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
West Virginia State Police just took delivery of the first of 9 SPYDERS they are
the RT Version. Will be the first time in nearly 30 years since they have rode Motorcycles. Also understand that Pennsylvania state police is getting some as well

Tony

ARtraveler
04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Interesting. I was thinking the Spyder might be a good police bike due to the many safety features. :popcorn:

Raptor
04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Better have a good radio, 'cause they aren't going to catch anybody in a pursuit on those things!! :roflblack: :roflblack: Sorry, I just had to!

Seriously, though, I wonder if they looked at the Spyders that were doing Police service in the U.K.? It's an interesting choice, no doubt. I suspect they will do OK.

mrwidget
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
the spyders have to get better gas mileage than the SUV's and crown vics
they have now

spyder3
04-26-2011, 04:28 PM
If you are being chased by a spyder cop can always hope his bike goes into limp mode!:roflblack:

DougB
04-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Don't think I'd care to carry a prisoner behind me. The 4 wheelers still have a role.

ataDude
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
That's what modified trailers are for. :ohyea:

Don't think I'd care to carry a prisoner behind me. The 4 wheelers still have a role.

ameobe
04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
That's what modified trailers are for. :ohyea:

Like Jamie"s? :roflblack::clap:

SpyderSteve
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:

Clinty76
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I think this is a great idea for cops. Almost unlimited customization could be a great plus for them.

SpyderWolf
04-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Better have a good radio, 'cause they aren't going to catch anybody in a pursuit on those things!! :roflblack: :roflblack: Sorry, I just had to!

:agree: I am glad you said it first, but am sure we can't be the only two thinking it. :D

Fly boy
04-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Trust me when I say... YOU CANNOT OUT RUN THE RADIO!!!!!!!!

2 Sportbikes, 5 cops, 2 counties, $230 later.... You learn that lesson.

SpyderWolf
04-26-2011, 09:35 PM

You were lucky to get off for only $230.

Around here they actually have a no chase policy for motorcycles, they will use the radio and try to get you somewhere else but will not do a hot pursuit.

SilverSurfer
04-27-2011, 06:19 AM
This is actually the State of WV receiving a grant from the NHTSA in recognition of the state having best national statistics on DUI enforement. While the State Police might get a Spyder or two, what the news seems to portray is that the Spyders are being parsed out to various counties and municipalities in WV. The ones I saw were Maganolia County (Morgantown) and the municipality of Charlestown. The intended use is in-town and event traffic enforcement where the Spydee might have more utility than a car.

It is a funny little story; while I'm glad our machine is getting out there ... and if the RT line how grand. Here's a couple o' links

http://statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=96033

http://www.dailymail.com/ap/ApTopStories/201103230317

:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
04-27-2011, 09:30 PM
This is actually the State of WV receiving a grant from the NHTSA in recognition of the state having best national statistics on DUI enforement. While the State Police might get a Spyder or two, what the news seems to portray is that the Spyders are being parsed out to various counties and municipalities in WV. The ones I saw were Maganolia County (Morgantown) and the municipality of Charlestown. The intended use is in-town and event traffic enforcement where the Spydee might have more utility than a car.

It is a funny little story; while I'm glad our machine is getting out there ... and if the RT line how grand. Here's a couple o' links

http://statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=96033

http://www.dailymail.com/ap/ApTopStories/201103230317

:thumbup:

That makes a lot more sense, and is how I believe they were being used in England for LE duties as well. Thanks for the additional information.

Raptor
04-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for those links, Surfer. That makes sense to me as well. Sounds like they are getting a pretty good deal on them and they have found a specific purpose for their use. It will be interesting to follow this story for a bit and see how things go...

bruiser
04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Watching news this morning, saw Bobby Spyder passing in front of Buckingham Palace. May see more tomorrow on the big day :shocked:. Glad I'm not there. Was stationed there when Prince Charley married Diana. we were not allowed to fly or operate loud equipment that day. And we were 70 miles northeast of London.

SpyderWolf
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Watching news this morning, saw Bobby Spyder passing in front of Buckingham Palace. May see more tomorrow on the big day :shocked:. Glad I'm not there. Was stationed there when Prince Charley married Diana. we were not allowed to fly or operate loud equipment that day. And we were 70 miles northeast of London.

I am glad I am not there as well, and definitely will not be getting up at 4AM in order to watch the entire fiasco go down live on TV.

RAL
04-29-2011, 08:48 AM

You ran from the cops, traveled 2 counties and it only cost you $230.:sour: Around here you would be spending time in the can, have a huge fine on top of that, have your licence suspended and would be very lucky to not "bump" your head repeatedly on the door jam as they put you in the back of the squad car.

RAL