PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge

arvoaussie
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
About to buy me a RT and it is my first motorcycle and have not rode on since i was a teenager (51). It just seems right for me and my wife so been lurking on forums and learning all I can. I am not worred about learning curb in riding plan on taking a safety course after I get bike. So I have two questions for all you gurus...LOL...Hey I am a coach/teacher so not afraid to ask questions.

1. See a lot about tire and shock adjustments. Now I am great with computers but not a mechanic...I am a big guy 300 and my wife is about 200 she would freak me saying that cause she swears it is 185 (she is a skiddish about riding so will mostly be me)..So what is all this talk about adjustments and what should I do...heck how do I do it...now i know how to put air in a tire was wondering more about the other...LOL..

2. Communication helmets...what is best?

Thanks in advance to those wonderful answers....

IWN2RYD
04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
About to buy me a RT and it is my first motorcycle and have not rode on since i was a teenager (51). It just seems right for me and my wife so been lurking on forums and learning all I can. I am not worred about learning curb in riding plan on taking a safety course after I get bike. So I have two questions for all you gurus...LOL...Hey I am a coach/teacher so not afraid to ask questions.

1. See a lot about tire and shock adjustments. Now I am great with computers but not a mechanic...I am a big guy 300 and my wife is about 200 she would freak me saying that cause she swears it is 185 (she is a skiddish about riding so will mostly be me)..So what is all this talk about adjustments and what should I do...heck how do I do it...now i know how to put air in a tire was wondering more about the other...LOL..

2. Communication helmets...what is best?

Thanks in advance to those wonderful answers....

:welcome::congrats: :clap: :spyder2:

A little info...

Start with 20 PSI Front, 28 PSI Rear. Shock @ #4 front and if not the RT-S or Limited Trim (has the electronic adjuster) then set the Rear shock to #6. These are great starting points for the learning curve that only you two will experience on your road conditions and additional needs as you find them.
What ever "Fits" the best form Shoei or Scorpion or HJC or any middle grade up, then worry about the color and if you want full face or partial. Most of the middle grade and up offer the needed space for communication sets. Many here like the SMH-10 or Scala Rider G4's (http://cyclebots.com/bluetooth-helmet-headsets.html)

arvoaussie
04-26-2011, 02:49 PM
yeah getting a RT-S with the semi automatic transmission

Hawk Eye
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
:congrats:&:welcome: You will love the RTS/Se5 I have a little less than 400 miles on mine and getting used to it, my wife even likes it.

Pete:yes::yes:

bikeguy
04-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I set my front shocks on preload position 5 and run 17 - 18 PSI in front tires of my 2010 RT but the 2011 shocks are different (better) so I can't help you on those. Besides that, we all ride a bit different with different conditions so you really just have to experiment a little and see what works best for you.

On helmets, though, since you live in Waxahachie I would recommend visiting Moto Liberty at 11441 N Stemmons Fwy # 201, Dallas, TX.
They have a large selection of brands, sizes, and models and their sales people are knowledgable about helmets and how they should fit. I have not found that to be the case in many motorcycle dealerships. I am assuming from your post that you aren't very familiar with helmets. If I'm wrong and you know what you want and what size you need, you might want to contact BajaRon on Spyderlovers. Ron sells Arai and several other brands of helmet, is very knowledgable, has good prices, and ships faster than anyone else I've ordered from.

Good luck and enjoy that new RT.

Cotton

SpyderWolf
04-26-2011, 09:15 PM
:welcome:

Take your time getting used to your new RT and you will soon come to love the Spyder as much as the rest of us do. :thumbup:

Yardageman
04-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Best of luck. I have had my RTS Se5 for 2 weeks (traded in my K1200LT BMW ) and now have just over 2,000 miles on it. Have the Scala Rider G4 and they are great. Just drove from San Diego to San Fran and back then came here to Phx. By way of Palm Springs. Will go back to San Diego on Mon.to hopefully pickup my matching BRP 622 Magnesium trailer. Then back to San Fran and eventually back to Colorado before a long trip to Canada. You will love your Spyder. Have fun.

C3517C
04-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Adjusting the shocks is a piece o' cake and you don't have to be a mechanic. Jack up the front end enough to take the weight off the tires. Give a shot of WD-40 to the portion of the shock that turns. Use the provided shock tool to give them a short turn. Done

arvoaussie
04-27-2011, 02:30 PM
expert in football helmets but not bike helmets...what really worries me is finding something to fit my melon head. LOL

Bob Denman
04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Nahhh... you should be more worried about what might happen if your Best half sees her weight out there on the computer screen... :shocked: :roflblack:
Welcome to the party! :2thumbs:

arvoaussie
04-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Heck no she will kick my butt...been married 23 years i know who is boss.

ArkTerry
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
expert in football helmets but not bike helmets...what really worries me is finding something to fit my melon head. LOL

I have just finished two weeks of searching for helmets for my melon head. After tons of hours searching and even I now have 5 helmets here I ordered in (no hassle returns luckliy) I found one company that made one big enough = HJC makes a 5XL. The 3XL and 2XLS by Scoprion, Shuberth, Shoei, etc.. were too small for my 8 1/4 to 8 1/2 hat size head.

ARtraveler
04-27-2011, 03:14 PM
:welcome: --its all been said.

arvoaussie
04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Arkterry thanks a ton...sorry you had to do so much searching but thanks for the info....saw one site leatherup.com that had some good prices on the big helmets. even had some big size on clothes.

Dragon Snake
04-27-2011, 05:40 PM
:welcome: you'll be glad you took the plunge. Syders are a fun ryde. They're real smooth and responsive. Great on the road especially in two up mode. I think for your first helmets I would go to a shop and try them on and talk to the sales people. Helmets are a very important piece of equipment and should fit properly. Not to tight or to loose. You'll know when you get the right one. Post some pics of your new ryde. Ryde safe and enjoy!

nanaskids
04-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Welcome From Mansfield Texas - I have had an SE-5 for about 2 months now and love it. You will too! Don't be surprised if wifey wants one for herself. I've been a passenger/navigator for the last 3 years on the back of a Harley, No more for me. I've been bitten by the Spyder and now have spyder virus. Uncurable. It's terminal!!!

:welcome:

kc

Spyder Cat
04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't be surprised if wifey wants one for herself. I've been a passenger/navigator for the last 3 years on the back of a Harley, No more for me. I've been bitten by the Spyder and now have spyder virus. Uncurable.

:agree: Hubby and I bought our Spyders about a year ago; first the RT then just a few weeks later, the RS followed us home
after I got a bad case of Spyder fever. It is incurable.... and who wants a cure?! :2thumbs:
Together, we've put on about 24,000 miles and never had so much fun.

So far as helmets, every brand and model fits me differently. You're just gonna have to try 'em all on.
There are some good posts on previous threads that will help with how a helmet is supposed to fit properly.
As one of our Spyderlovers learned a few weeks ago when she caught a turkey in the face :yikes: a properly fitting helmet is very important.

:welcome: Let us know how you're doing, and good luck in your Spyder adventures!

SpyderWolf
04-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Arkterry thanks a ton...sorry you had to do so much searching but thanks for the info....saw one site leatherup.com that had some good prices on the big helmets. even had some big size on clothes.

leatherup.com is a good vendor and you should be happy with their service as well. :thumbup: