PDA

View Full Version : These Spyders can't make it due to problems

killerbee
04-25-2011, 09:53 PM
We were on our way to Cowtown this morning. Got about 1 hour from home (in the pouring rain) and my wife's Spyder's drive belt came off, while going down an interstate, doing about 60 mph. Was lucky she was in the slower lane, as mph dropped to 16 mph almost immediately. Had to have it towed to nearby motorcycle shop (which, of course, couldn't fix it), then had to have it towed to the dealer we use, about 90 miles away. They are closed on Monday; however, the owner happened to be inside and was very concerned. They didn't have a drive belt in stock, thus we had to travel another 100 mi. to pick one up. After all this, we could have been half way to Cowtown and here we sit at home. Dealer has to see why the drive belt would have slipped off, as they checked everything completely just last week. Due to this problem and the severe weather, we're going to miss Cowtown this year. We've had our reservations since last fall, so you know we were looking forward to it. There's a reason, I guess, so hope to see all at Maggie Valley. Be safe and have fun!

Firefly
04-26-2011, 12:24 AM
BUMMER! -- but glad she's safe. Sounds like someone mis-adjusted the belt to me--- wrong tension or alignment - and then add rain to the mix and things happen....

Dealer didn't have any belts? If they had a demo Spyder on the floor-- then they had a belt on it! A good tech could pull the belt from a demo and put it on your bike in an hour-- maybe hour and a half.

Sorry you guys can't make it-- hopefully you can make Maggie Valley!

Saluda
04-26-2011, 04:42 AM
Sorry to hear of your problem, hope it's nothing major.

pierrelogic
04-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Wow, that is terrible news. Glad everyone is safe.

If you get things back on the road your more than welcomes to join us this Saturday. Eric and I are going to meet and go for a ride with no particular destination in mind. Sometimes those turn out to be the best of rides. Granted not as exciting as meeting everyone at Cowtown but the weather is breaking and we're itchin' to ryde.

Indian lake gathering (http://ohiospyderryders.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=122.msg389#new)

fastfraser
04-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Glad all are safe and hope they find the problem quickly !

Here's a thought get on the road now or tomorrow ? We are not leaving for our 14 hour drive until 3pm today and don't plan on getting to Cowtown until the same time Wed.:dontknow:

NancysToy
04-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Have the dealer check the engine sprocket. Sounds like it could be another case of worn splines. Also check the rear wheel/sprocket bearings. It doesn't take much misalignment to throw a belt off track.