PDA

View Full Version : Not Going To Make Spyderfest - TricLED included

SpyderWolf
04-25-2011, 07:28 PM
I just finished talking to Reggy on the phone a little while ago, and an executive decision was made. We will not be making the trip to Spyderfest after all. :(

We have been watching the weather very closely and hoping for the best. With the threat of dangerous floods in the Ohio and Mississippi River Valley area we determined that it would be better safe than sorry and to miss this event. While there is a chance of the weather clearing, a decision needed to be made now and that is how it came down.

The main reason for my decision boils down to looking out for my family. We were going to load the open trailer with the Spyders tonight, and then head for Cuba after midnight tomorrow evening. Our path of travel would take us right through many of the flash flood warning areas. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and Wednesday, and that may only make things worse. In this case I think it is much better for us to be safe than sorry, no matter how badly I really wanted to push it and be there.

I am truly hoping for everyone that makes it there that this will be one of those decisions I end up regretting for a very long time. If the weather turns out to be great, and a non-issue, please feel free to post and rub it in as I will probably deserve that. I wish you all the best and hope the weather cooperates and you have a great time.

I was really looking forward to seeing everyone there, but will now have to wait for the Owner's Event in Maggie Valley to see who can make that one.

I cancelled our hotel reservations as well, so there are now 2 rooms available at Motel 6 for anyone who decides to attend at the last minute.

Dudley
04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I think that's a good call. Had we not had to cancel for my daughter's graduation, we would have canceled because of the weather. Thunder storms and rain and flooding are not worth the effort for any kind of function. I will cancel a doctor's appointment if the weather is bad.

ThreeFeet
04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
BUMMER!!!!!!! But safety first. Sorry you can't make it. Maybe see ya next year!!!at Spyderfest. will see ya at the BRP get together tho.

ArmyJoe
04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
I was hoping to see you and the family again, but I understand your decision. Catch you next time.

SpyderWolf
04-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks Dudley, and everyone else as well.

I was really looking forward to it and hate the fact we are not going to be there. However, I also feel comfortable with the decision right now.

Hopefully we will be able to see many of you in Maggie Valley. :thumbup:

nudle
04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
:gaah: 1st day on the road. 400 miles-350 in the pouring rainand 50F. In Ft Wayne tonite.Will make a decsion in the morning what to do.

Painter Dan
04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Safety first.

BumbleBee
04-25-2011, 09:10 PM
That is a bummer, sorry you are not going to make it, but it is understandable, safety comes first. Take care of yourself!

JOESPY
04-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi SpyderWolf

I just arrived in Ohio we are 50 miles from Cleveland today we rode 545 miles which around 240 were done in the rain. Its not raining its pouring.
Good luck and take care we will see you in Maggie Valley.

SpyderWolf
04-25-2011, 09:41 PM
If it was just me ryding my Spyder I would probably push it and try to make it anyway. I know my wife would not be happy with that decision at all though. In this case we were going to be towing the Spyders in an open trailer and have our 8 year old son along as well. That is what makes me not willing to take the chance with the weather.

I really do hope things get better weather wise and everyone who is able to make it has a great time. This is just making me look forward to Maggie Valley even more now.

Lamonster
04-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Well I'm heading out at 5:30 am rain or no rain. The forecast for Cuba looks pretty good so I'll deal with the weather getting there if there is any. Sorry you guys decided not to go, if I was in a cage I wouldn't think twice about it but thats just me. :dontknow:

Spyderjockey
04-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Unfortunately my wife and I are not going to make it either......mainly because she has been under the weather for the last 2 weeks or so and we have had nothing but rain and cold weather here in central NY for weeks. Ryding in the rain is one thing but ryding when you are not feeling well already is beyond good judgement and ryding in the rain when it is cold and not feeling well is insanity. We are disappointed but will be attending the Spyders in the Adirondacks and some other rydes and events this year. I hope for good weather and great times for all that attend the Cuba event.:thumbup:

Firefly
04-26-2011, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't be concerned in the least if I was trailering (not that I ever would---:D )- you can dodge the flooded areas easily---
GPS and good weather app and you can avoid any roads/ areas that may have flooded over. We decided to come in north of St. Louis because we didn't want to deal with heavy rain AND heavy traffic at the same time--- would rather just deal with one or the other when riding. In a cage I'd just go for it--

We just rode 500+ miles through nasty rain in the flood areas--- not the funnest ride - especially once it got dark-- but spyders rocked right through it all. Was doing 70+ in the rain and felt stable as could be --- wouldn't even think of doing that on 2 wheels! :thumbup:

Really bummed some of you can't make it! Hope you guys will do Maggie Valley ----:thumbup:

IWN2RYD
04-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Really bummed seeing all these cancellations for so many different reasons. I am sure glad you and Reggy decided to not go and play it safe. One missed event is nothing compared to worse items that can happen when ignoring your own instincts :thumbup:

I think you folks should try and make the Spyders in the Redwoods and make up for it!! :2thumbs::doorag::yes: :bowdown::firstplace: :ohyea:

owens9fingers
04-26-2011, 08:53 AM
We live near Springfield, Illinois, and the weather is breaking! :ohyea: Looking forward to a GREAT time in Cuba. :clap: The forcast for Cuba is lookin' Good!! :2thumbs:

Spyderman1330
04-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Me and spyder-dude will not be making the trip either. Its says thunder showers and rain here thru Friday and with the tornadoes in Arkansas last night we are not going to take a chance with the 980 mile trip in cold and rain. Looking forward to the Spyders in the adirondack ride for July. Hopefully the weather will be better then.

Spiderwoman
04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't be concerned in the least if I was trailering (not that I ever would---:D )- you can dodge the flooded areas easily---
GPS and good weather app and you can avoid any roads/ areas that may have flooded over. We decided to come in north of St. Louis because we didn't want to deal with heavy rain AND heavy traffic at the same time--- would rather just deal with one or the other when riding. In a cage I'd just go for it--

We just rode 500+ miles through nasty rain in the flood areas--- not the funnest ride - especially once it got dark-- but spyders rocked right through it all. Was doing 70+ in the rain and felt stable as could be --- wouldn't even think of doing that on 2 wheels! :thumbup:

Really bummed some of you can't make it! Hope you guys will do Maggie Valley ----:thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:agree:

Spydeejane
04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
It's not raining in Cuba now, and I can see some blue clouds. It's suppose to be in the upper 60s today.

The dogwoods are blooming.

Be safe in your travels.

Dochands
04-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Really sorry to hear so many of you have to cancel. The weather is clearing today in Oklahoma though there are showers predicted for tonight.

Why not just come a day late?

Spiderwoman
04-26-2011, 09:30 AM
It's not raining in Cuba now, and I can see some blue clouds. It's suppose to be in the upper 60s today.

The dogwoods are blooming.

Be safe in your travels.

SUN JUST DECIDED ITS TIME FOR SPYDERFEST!!!!!!

READY TO RIDE!! :ohyea:

:2excited: :2excited: :2excited:

Firefly
04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Bright and sunny in Cuba now! Not too late to head out folks.

Firefly
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
Really sorry to hear so many of you have to cancel. The weather is clearing today in Oklahoma though there are showers predicted for tonight.

Exactly!

SpyderWolf
04-26-2011, 08:23 PM

My Spyder has never been trailered, and I never thought I would do it either, but there is no way we could have done what we were planning on with lighting installs and trying to ryde over 14 hours one way with an 8 year old along. Never say never my friend. :D

We are already booked for Maggie Valley so will hopefully catch up to you there. :thumbup:

I think you folks should try and make the Spyders in the Redwoods and make up for it!! :2thumbs::doorag::yes: :bowdown::firstplace: :ohyea:

Now that would be a heck of a trip, but I don't have enough vacation days on the books at work to be able to work something like that out. :( Thanks for the invite though. :thumbup:

We already cancelled the hotel reservations to free up the rooms as soon as possible in case someone else was looking for a room. We were planning on leaving after midnight tonight, and right now the weather channel is all a buzz about the weather in the areas we would have to drive through. The weather in Cuba will likely be good, but getting there or not being able to get back home weighed in heavily with this decision.

Paula(Butch2025)
04-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Butch & i are leaving after work tomorrow...we wouldn't know what it is like to go to a Spyder event if we didn't get wet/soaked/blown around/or all of the above...it's all part of the experience. Riding in the rain is really a big deal for me 'cuz I don't do rain unless it's on the Spyder! See you all Thursday.

MouthPiece
04-26-2011, 09:31 PM
I finally got my spyder from the dealership this morning around 11:00. They took a DPS from one of their show room spyders along with some other parts. I have to thank Seminole Power Sports for busting their tails to get me up and running. They, in my opinion, truly went the "second mile" in helping me.

With that said, I had planned on leaving Monday fairly early to make it a three day trip. I wanted to take my time and enjoy the scenery along the way. I guess I'm not much into making it a marathon. Bottom line I decided late Monday afternoon when I knew I wouldn't be getting my spyder until sometime Tuesday morning to cancel.

I do hope that I get to see many of you at Maggie Valley come June. I'll have my better half with me then anyways. I wish everyone well at Spyderfest. Oh......I also need to call Cowtown and have them send the relay I ordered from them about a week ago. Thanks to them for getting that for me.

Chris

Lamonster
04-27-2011, 06:17 AM
I am truly hoping for everyone that makes it there that this will be one of those decisions I end up regretting for a very long time. If the weather turns out to be great, and a non-issue, please feel free to post and rub it in as I will probably deserve that. I wish you all the best and hope the weather cooperates and you have a great time.

I'm ready bummed you guys canceled because of weather and that a few others seemed to have followed your lead. I had to travel the same route pretty much as you in the same storm and I was on the Spyder not in a truck and it honestly was no big deal. We did see flooded areas but none of them effected our travel. We got rained on for about 150 miles or so but I've been in rain that you couldn't see the car ahead of you before and it was nothing like that. Trust me I was just as concerned about the weather as any and if you watch the weather channel long enough you'll think the whole country is being wiped out. I learned a long time ago that what you see on the weather channel is not always what the real world situation is.

I will say even though there have been some cancellations because of weather and partly because of your post pushing people over the edge that were on the fence there are way more folks here on a Tuesday than anyone expected. They had planned for 50 folks for dinner last night and we had well over 100 on Tuesday night. There were 47 Spyders in the parking lot at one count and they were rolling in and out all night. Most of these folks rode their Spyders in on Tuesday through the very same weather front you were concerned about.

I'm truly sorry you guys didn't make it but after meeting murphybrown (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=5048) from Washington state and hearing about her trip on her Spyder in all sorts of weather and the fact that she's 70 years old and rode by herself I told the folks here that I was going to give you a hard time for canceling your trip in your truck because of a little storm. :D

I hope the rest of you folks that are on the fence will come on out, it's going to be a great time.:thumbup:

CJ/johnnyg
04-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Lamont we agree. We that is 5 :spyder2: are waiting for the storm to pass. We just had a little hall and wind and the :spyder: watched it all go by. We are planning on pulling out around 8. Meeting up with 2 more spyders in TN. I have one question or anyone reading this thread. We are coming up I 65 to I 24 what is the best way to Cuba. We had to change our oringial route do to flooding on the back roads. Any help would be appreciated. CJ

SpyderWolf
04-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm ready bummed you guys canceled because of weather and that a few others seemed to have followed your lead. I had to travel the same route pretty much as you in the same storm and I was on the Spyder not in a truck and it honestly was no big deal. We did see flooded areas but none of them effected our travel. We got rained on for about 150 miles or so but I've been in rain that you couldn't see the car ahead of you before and it was nothing like that. Trust me I was just as concerned about the weather as any and if you watch the weather channel long enough you'll think the whole country is being wiped out. I learned a long time ago that what you see on the weather channel is not always what the real world situation is.

Believe me Lamont, you cannot possibly be bummed any more than I am about us cancelling our trip. The biggest problem is I would not have driven through the same storms as you did. Due to my work schedule we were going to leave the house at 2:00 this morning, and that would have put us driving through GA, TN, and KY, during the harshest part of the second front that was rolling through. Google Maps stated it was almost a 15 hour trip one way, and I was hoping to roll into Cuba by 6:00 PM this evening. I don't usually pay attention to The Weather Channel, but was checking the radar frequently today while at work and it wasn't looking good for those areas at all. I am also hoping that everything is fine at your house right now, along with anyone else that lives in central to east TN.

It may be hard to see all of the Watch and Warning boxes, but this is what my radar picture looked like at 3:00 PM today:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12131&stc=1&d=1303959778

I will say even though there have been some cancellations because of weather and partly because of your post pushing people over the edge that were on the fence there are way more folks here on a Tuesday than anyone expected. They had planned for 50 folks for dinner last night and we had well over 100 on Tuesday night. There were 47 Spyders in the parking lot at one count and they were rolling in and out all night. Most of these folks rode their Spyders in on Tuesday through the very same weather front you were concerned about.

I was not trying to sway anyone else's decision by posting this thread, and honestly don't think I have anything resembling a fan base here that would ever follow my lead on a decision like this.

The reason I posted it is because we had appointments with a few people to do lighting installs on their Spyders. Reggy was bringing the TricLED products and we were going to assist by providing the labor. I also know there were several others who were interested in the TricLED products that wanted to check things out first and not commit to an appointment. Since we decided to not attend this event it was only right to let all of those people know we would not be there, instead of just being a no show.

I am glad that more Spyders were there than you expected, and hope the rest of them continue to roll in safely as well. :thumbup:

I'm truly sorry you guys didn't make it but after meeting murphybrown (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=5048) from Washington state and hearing about her trip on her Spyder in all sorts of weather and the fact that she's 70 years old and rode by herself I told the folks here that I was going to give you a hard time for canceling your trip in your truck because of a little storm. :D

I hope the rest of you folks that are on the fence will come on out, it's going to be a great time.:thumbup:

I have truly enjoyed reading about Murphy Brown's adventures in making it to Cuba for Spyderfest. I also liked hearing about Carousel from Firefly as that is another very courageous Spyder Ryder. My hat is definitely off to them.

I totally understand you giving me a hard time, and as I posted and you quoted I was ready for it. There comes a time when decisions need to be made based on what is most valuable to the person making that decision. In this case my decision was based on the safety of my family and my responsibility to them as a husband and a father. They are my priority and as much as I really want to be at Spyderfest right now, I am comfortable with my decision.

I also hope that anyone that was on the fence decides to attend the event. As far as I know the 2 rooms we had booked at Motel 6 might still be available and each one had 2 queen beds so any last minute ryders may be able to get some shelter there. I truly wish everyone the best of times while there, and a safe journey back home as well.

There will not be another Spyderfest 2011, but there will be other events for me to attend. :thumbup: