PDA

View Full Version : MURPHY'S LAW

MouthPiece
04-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Well I was packed and ready to go. Took the spyder out for a test ride with all the "stuff" packed in the passenger's seat. It felt a little rough riding, but nothing to write home to mama about.

Bout two hours later while running to Walmart for some odds and ends, limp mode came up and bright orange "engine sign" came up. Shut her off, went in and got my stuff and came out. Fired her up and runs smoothly.

I'll be taking her in to the dealer tomorrow morning early. I had hoped to be headed to Mizzou tomorrow morning.

Any thoughts?

Sadly,

Chris PE# 0004

Sny
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
funny plugs...
bad gas...
solar flares...

eat less chilli? :joke:

Mine did that for a bit, new plugs, a valve adjustment and a throttle adjustment took care of it.

BUDS will tell them if it's something serious.

Mo Lee
04-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Try this

1. Turn the power on and start your Spyder.
2. Using the mode button, Press the button until hours (total not trip) are displayed at the bottom of the cluster.
3. Holding the mode button down. Flash your high beams 3 times (quickly)

If there any fault codes in the computer they will now be displayed across the Cluster. Otherwise, it will display "No Active Fault Codes"

If you get a code post it someone may know what it is. I guess the Rt works the same as Rs.

NancysToy
04-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Try this

1. Turn the power on and start your Spyder.
2. Using the mode button, Press the button until hours (total not trip) are displayed at the bottom of the cluster.
3. Holding the mode button down. Flash your high beams 3 times (quickly)

If there any fault codes in the computer they will now be displayed across the Cluster. Otherwise, it will display "No Active Fault Codes"

If you get a code post it someone may know what it is. I guess the Rt works the same as Rs.
The RT works differently. Press "Mode", "Set", and the turn signal cancel simultaneously. Either method will only show active fault codes.

MouthPiece
04-24-2011, 02:09 PM
All I got was a blank screen. :dontknow:

Chris

MarkLawson
04-24-2011, 02:42 PM
The RT works differently. Press "Mode", "Set", and the turn signal cancel simultaneously. Either method will only show active fault codes.

Will it work if when pressing the signal cancel button you first hit the left signal and then the right signal and then the left signal again and THEN cancel??? :dontknow:

WackyDan
04-24-2011, 02:46 PM

Chris

See? Nothing to worry about! ;)

"Check engine" happens.... I get one now and then for my O2 sensor which is known to be good.... so go figure. If you aren't pulling a code, I would take it for another ride and see what happens.

NancysToy
04-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Will it work if when pressing the signal cancel button you first hit the left signal and then the right signal and then the left signal again and THEN cancel??? :dontknow:
It won't matter (as far as I can tell), as long as you are holding the Mode and Set down at the time.

MouthPiece
04-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Held all three down at the same time.

Mr. White
04-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Yesterday I got check DPS and it went into limp mode. I stopped and looked in the book and it said remove and reinsert key...duh??

I did and it ran another 150 mies with several shutoffs without a problem...Good luck on your trip. I wish I could join all of you Spyders.

:spyder2:

musicarcade
04-24-2011, 03:31 PM
See? Nothing to worry about! ;)

"Check engine" happens.... I get one now and then for my O2 sensor which is known to be good.... so go figure. If you aren't pulling a code, I would take it for another ride and see what happens.
:agree:
Sometimes I am convinced that these things operate under the Windows OS

BikerDoc
04-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Hey chris,

Last year as I got ready to leave for Thunder Beach in Panama City I had the same happening.. Since it restarted fine, I ignored it and it hasn't recurred since.. No doubt it is unsettling though, especially in the face of the weather we may be accessing enroute.. Good luck at the dealer tomorrow morning

Blue Star
04-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Yesterday I got check DPS and it went into limp mode. I stopped and looked in the book and it said remove and reinsert key...duh??

Now I know where the maintenance guy from where I work used to work at. Everytime there is a problem with a forklift he does this, and when the code is gone he walks away and says it is fixed :roflblack:.

Y Rider
04-24-2011, 05:02 PM

Chris

Maybe this doesn't work on the 2011 models. I did the same procedure (press MODE/SET/CANCEL) and got a blank screen when I had an active Limp Mode fault.

NancysToy
04-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Maybe this doesn't work on the 2011 models. I did the same procedure (press MODE/SET/CANCEL) and got a blank screen when I had an active Limp Mode fault.
Limp mode is not a fault...it is the result of a problem. Sometimes it is related to things that do not force fault codes. Some fault codes do not force limp mode. Other times limp mode mysteriously appears when no fault is present. The fault could been intermittent, and cleared, so it will not show except in BUDS. The Spyder is a complex machine, and even the Spyder techs are not privy to all the workings of its "brain".

Y Rider
04-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Limp mode is not a fault...it is the result of a problem. Sometimes it is related to things that do not force fault codes. Some fault codes do not force limp mode. Other times limp mode mysteriously appears when no fault is present. The fault could been intermittent, and cleared, so it will not show except in BUDS. The Spyder is a complex machine, and even the Spyder techs are not privy to all the workings of its "brain".

Good point. I did take the bike to the dealership to have them look at it. After hooking up BUDS and talking with BRP tech support it was determined that I needed a new steering angle sensor and magnet. Put on over 200 miles since the repair and no problems. Hopefully all is well now with my Spyder. :2thumbs:

MouthPiece
04-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Oh well. Thanks so much guys. I'll see what happens in the morning. Hopefully I'll be seeing many of you on Wednesday in Cuba.

Chris

johnnyg
04-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Chris Remember when we met in Bradenton. Our engine light came on. We just ignor it and it went out a few miles down the road. I had it come on about 4 times since then. They checked it and couldn't find anything. It could of been because of low voltage. We were showing lights to everyone. Good luck but I don't know if they will find anything. We just keep our fingers cross and keep riding. JC