PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Spyder Tensioner question

Seanpham79
04-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I just installed Captjim's tensioner. I got it set to 12lbs of tension but i still feel belt vibration thats very apparent between 5.5 and 6.5 rpms. Should I up the tension? what would happen if i apply too much tension? and how much is tension is too much tension?

capt.jim
04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
How loose was your belt? Did it help at all? The tensioner seems to add about twice the lbs. to your overall tension, meaning you have probably added 25 lbs. to whatever you had before, not a substancial amount. The vibration at 5500-6500, is that only in 5th or all gears? Are you feeling cyclical vibration while accelerating through the gears or at roll on such as passing a car? Another member contacted me recently, and could not eliminate the vibration and said it got worse the more he raised the tension, which i could not understand, but after checking his tension he only had 120lbs. on the kricket, once he raised the static tension up some all was smooth. I would recommend at least around 180 lbs.on the kricket gauge, 10 lbs. on the tensioner should clean up any vibration at that setting. The Spyder will still need a reasonable amount of static tension due to the belt length, the tensioner will be a supplement to that. PM or call me if you need help.