PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty ?????

retiredsquid
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM
We haven't taken delivery of our new RT yet, so I still have a small bit of time before, but not much. I have been offered a six year unlimited mile premium warranty for $2,999.00 by my dealership. Is that about the norm? He did not have a brochure for me to read about, so had to take his word for it at that time.

jrbloise
04-22-2011, 05:13 PM
That seems a little high. Is it BRP's Best, Best Plus? Is it the dealerships "in house" Pitt Pass? Need more details please.

John

retiredsquid
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
John,
The BRP BEST Plan extends the warranty to five years. They are telling me this one extends the factory plan by an additional four years for a total of six years. Before I sign on the bottom line I will know a lot more about this. That is a heck of a lot more expensive and not at broad coverage as I have on my Ford F150 from Ford for 7 years of coverage with zero deductible for far less money. :helpsmilie:

My wife and I agree that we will be wanting the best warranty for the longest period we can get, but I do not want to be throwing away good money toward bad. :dontknow: Too often sales staff seem so intent on getting that extra commission money that they put the screws to the client. I'm not saying that is happening here, but for that kind of money I wanted to check and see what others have experienced.
Regards,
Rich

Marker
04-22-2011, 05:31 PM
On my new 2010 RT-S Which I have not taken delivery of yet because of DPS replacement taking so long.(ok because have only small deposit to hold trike) but have been given BRP's newest sales program which is 3Yrs warranty instead of the standard 2 yrs and also I am buying the BEST PLUS warranty for another 3 yrs which will start to run after BRP's initial 3 yr warranty ends. Could this be what your dealer is talking to you about:dontknow:

daveinva
04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
I've read a number of threads here about the 3-year BEST extension costing anywhere between $800-$1200 (see Bert's deals), so your dealer's price sounds considerably higher.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24496

Personally, to each their own, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything other than the BRP factory warranty on the Spyder (or a factory warranty on *anything*). For every honest dealer out there, I've lost track of the dozens I've dealt with who use their dealer warranties and "service plans" to recoup profit, i.e. bilk their customers out of money for services they'll never need (and a warranty that won't cover the services they DO need, when that time comes).

Is the extra year nice? Sure, I guess... but you're talking about TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS more than the average price for the BEST warranty that you can track down around these parts. Personally, I'd politely decline, or tell them to price-match someone like Bert's if they want to make the sale.

Dragonrider
04-22-2011, 05:44 PM
If you follow the threads, the BEST warranty is the safest choice, and will add up to three years to your original two year warranty. This shouldn't cost you more than $900, probably less.

You should look at this as a separate issue from the Paid Service plans. Those only hold value if you want the dealer to do all the servicing for you, and they are close enough to make it worthwhile.

Based on what you said, the dealer is asking for a $2000 premium for one year ($270 over the BEST), then - how many miles do you drive a year? 6,000 = 2 services/ yr or $250 per service, about right - so pay now or pay then. If you drive less than that, and most of us do - I would view it as a rip.

Finally, the BEST warranty isn't available in Florida, but it's accepted at every dealer. I would take the name of the warranty and call a dealer in another state and ask if they would accept it for a service (ie: while you were on a long trip) JMHO...

retiredsquid
04-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Thank you to everyone that has posted. Great information and I will have them give me the info on the BEST Protection Plan instead of what they were trying to pawn off on us. :thumbup:

retiredsquid
04-22-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm honored to have served. My wife is still serving in the reserves and probably will for another ten years.:dontknow: Best of luck to your son. My brother in law will be retiring this coming November.