PDA

View Full Version : Bad News

annieleilani
04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
On Sunday I rode 156 miles with the Cruisers MC Riders, and was about 3 miles from my house when I tried to shift, and nothing happened. I was out of gear and coasting so I pulled over and turned off the key. I couldn't get it to start and there was no give in the clutch. My husband and friends pushed me to jump start and I made it back to the house in second gear. Made an appointment with Ride Now in Ocala and received some real bad news. The service writer said they have never seen anything like this. My clutch was fried! I have metal all in the engine.This is a 3-4 week job (and yes, it is under warranty). He said it's the biggest job they have ever had to do on a Spyder. The engine needs to come out and they have to make sure all the metal pieces are removed. Of course I need new parts for the clutch, too. I am so upset about all of this. For those of you that know me, I love to ride. I have 16,000 miles on this bike and it's only 15 months old. Anyone have a Spyder that needs to be ridden??? :roflblack:

BikerDoc
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Really glad you were planning on Maggie Valley instead of Spyderfest. At least you won't miss out on any major plans although I know you will get restless with no bike (although in desperation isn't your husbands Harley about - and after all he really works so can't need it that much.... tee hee
VERY SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR PROBLEMS THOUGH... That makes my failed SM clutch sound very simple...

musicarcade
04-20-2011, 05:32 PM
WHAT A BUMMER!:shocked::yikes:
Can they give you a loaner to ryde??

REALLY sorry to hear of your situation- Thank goodness it's still uner warranty!!!:clap:

IWN2RYD
04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Very sorry to read of this... When you say "Clutch" I assume your ryding the SM5 and not the SE5?

SpyderAnn01
04-20-2011, 05:51 PM
That sucks. Did it give any warning?

NancysToy
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
So sorry to hear it. Have them contact BRP and see if they can get a complete engine assembly under warranty, due to the extensive, and as yet partly unknown, damage. There is usually a lot of hidden damage when metal goes through the engine like that. An engine replacement can be cheaper, it is easier on the tech, and it would get you back on the road a lot quicker.

Lamonster
04-20-2011, 06:08 PM
:agree:
Sorry to hear that. :gaah:

annieleilani
04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Really glad you were planning on Maggie Valley instead of Spyderfest. At least you won't miss out on any major plans although I know you will get restless with no bike (although in desperation isn't your husbands Harley about - and after all he really works so can't need it that much.... tee hee
VERY SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR PROBLEMS THOUGH... That makes my failed SM clutch sound very simple...

Cute - be safe and have fun! Husband has a Honda but that was funny

annieleilani
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
That sucks. Did it give any warning?

no - no warning at all. I have thought about that.

annieleilani
04-20-2011, 06:21 PM
So sorry to hear it. Have them contact BRP and see if they can get a complete engine assembly under warranty, due to the extensive, and as yet partly unknown, damage. There is usually a lot of hidden damage when metal goes through the engine like that. An engine replacement can be cheaper, it is easier on the tech, and it would get you back on the road a lot quicker.thank you for that! I will call tomorrow.

Recon
04-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Good luck, Annie. remember this is the same dealer that sold me one with 250 miles on it that blew up the se5 trans the same day I bought it. I would try to push the issue of a new engine with Carlos due to the metal shavings all through the interior. I fear that will come back to haunt you down the road since there is no telling the internal damage.

CJ/johnnyg
04-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Sorry Annie, I know how much riding means to you. You will surely have :spyder2: withdraw. Hopefully you will be up and running sooner than what they said. CJ

MouthPiece
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Couldn't believe it when we talked on the phone. I do know how much you love to ride. You know where I live and you have the phone number plus email address. All you have to do is call.

Chris

effgjamis
04-20-2011, 09:34 PM
:hun::gaah::yikes: hope they replace the engine.. see you and your hubby soon...

docdoru
04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry to hear...BRP can send a complete clutch set, 1-2 hours to replace, the problem is to tear down the entire engine...

Mudpuppy2
04-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Clean&Green told me about your pickle yesterday. So sorry to hear that you are going to have some major down time. Scotty has the right idea about replacing the motor with a new one. I shur hope they do that for you.

Mike and Marcia
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
On Sunday I rode 156 miles with the Cruisers MC Riders, and was about 3 miles from my house when I tried to shift, and nothing happened. I was out of gear and coasting so I pulled over and turned off the key. I couldn't get it to start and there was no give in the clutch. My husband and friends pushed me to jump start and I made it back to the house in second gear. Made an appointment with Ride Now in Ocala and received some real bad news. The service writer said they have never seen anything like this. My clutch was fried! I have metal all in the engine.This is a 3-4 week job (and yes, it is under warranty). He said it's the biggest job they have ever had to do on a Spyder. The engine needs to come out and they have to make sure all the metal pieces are removed. Of course I need new parts for the clutch, too. I am so upset about all of this. For those of you that know me, I love to ride. I have 16,000 miles on this bike and it's only 15 months old. Anyone have a Spyder that needs to be ridden??? :roflblack:
Hi Annie,
So sorry to hear of the problems. We are in NC but can sympathize with U. Still hope to see U in Maggie Valley.
Mike and Marcia

MoonChaser213
04-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your Spyder, Anne, Be Very Careful At Ride NOT!!!!I'v had better luck with the dealer in Sanford. I'll ryde to Maggie Valley with you. Got it marked on my calander. Want to share a motel room? Or is hubby coming along? Bring Trish in that case!! We'll have a ball.:f_spider:

annieleilani
04-25-2011, 05:15 AM
[QUOTE=MoonChaser213;310496]Sorry to hear about your Spyder, Anne, Be Very Careful At Ride NOT!!!!I'v had better luck with the dealer in Sanford. I'll ryde to Maggie Valley with you. Got it marked on my calander. Want to share a motel room? Or is hubby coming along? Bring Trish in that case!! We'll have a ball.:f_spider:[/QUOTE

The dealer in Deland was my favorite, but they no longer deal with Can Am so they recommended Ride Now. Yes, going to NC, and yes hubby might come, but my sister lives in Waynesville right next door to Maggie Valley. I'm so glad you want to ride up with us. I'm looking at towing (if all goes well and my bike is back)

effgjamis
04-25-2011, 07:00 AM
TOWING !!!!!!:hun::yikes: