PDA

View Full Version : What to do

Blue Star
04-18-2011, 10:38 PM
A co-worker of mine offered to paint my Spyder for me, and will only charge me the cost of the paint booth rental, and materials. He used to paint professionally, but only for other painting companies. He currently does side jobs to earn extra money, and has painted everything from motorcycles on up to motor-homes. He wants to paint my spyder so he can put it on his resume. I have seen the paint job on his car, and he does good work. I am facing two problems. First there is a car/bike show on May 21 that he wants me to enter in after the paint job is done, so he can add that to his list when (I am thinking positive here) Orbit (my Spyder) wins. Also this would take ryding time away from me. I have not asked him if he was willing to wait until winter. The second problem is I love the color Orbit is now, and don't really want to change it. I was thinking that maybe we can change the black to a lighter blue, or what he suggested is paint stars and/or shrieks to make it look like shooting stars. What should I do?

nudle
04-18-2011, 10:51 PM
:2thumbs: Go for it

Sny
04-18-2011, 10:56 PM
See if he can mock something up to show you what he has in mind. A picture, even sketched on a napkin, can really give you some insight into what a creative mind is thinking.

If it's appealing, let him run with it and see where it goes! It's free afterall... and it won't be the last time you paint it. He may even offer to repaint it back to stock colors if you don't like it.

Work with him on it, tell him what you have on your mind.

If you don't hate it right away, give it a try.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change :doorag:

boborgera
04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Go with your gut feelings, You don't sound very comfortable with this deal'
Only you know deep down why. :dontknow:

WackyDan
04-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Dude... A lighter blue on the black panels would look sharp! *or keep some of the black and use the light blue to transition between the orbit blue and black. There are a lot of good examples of spyders where there was bordering of colors on the black panels or body color panels...

Heck, even a white would be cool. It is about making it yours.

Firefly
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
A co-worker of mine offered to paint my Spyder for me, and will only charge me the cost of the paint booth rental, and materials. He used to paint professionally, but only for other painting companies. He currently does side jobs to earn extra money, and has painted everything from motorcycles on up to motor-homes. He wants to paint my spyder so he can put it on his resume. I have seen the paint job on his car, and he does good work. I am facing two problems. First there is a car/bike show on May 21 that he wants me to enter in after the paint job is done, so he can add that to his list when (I am thinking positive here) Orbit (my Spyder) wins. Also this would take ryding time away from me. I have not asked him if he was willing to wait until winter. The second problem is I love the color Orbit is now, and don't really want to change it. I was thinking that maybe we can change the black to a lighter blue, or what he suggested is paint stars and/or shrieks to make it look like shooting stars. What should I do?

Better make sure he knows how to paint plastic before having him do it. There have been a few people get theirs done incorrectly only to have cracking later-- especially around where the panels screw to the bike.

They have to use a special paint with modifiers in it to allow it to flex and not crack......

Lamonster
04-19-2011, 06:49 AM
My two week paint job took two months....just saying. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
04-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Go with your gut feelings, You don't sound very comfortable with this deal'
Only you know deep down why. :dontknow:

:agree: There sure seems to be something holding you back on this one...
Another old saying: "Act in haste; regret at leisure..."
It's you're bike so make sure that nothing happens that you haven't decided to allow! Good luck!:thumbup:

NancysToy
04-19-2011, 06:58 AM
If you like your current color, why bother?

bjt
04-19-2011, 08:25 AM

+1 If I was thinking of painting my Spyder then I would consider it but if I never thought of painting my Spyder until he proposed the idea, I wouldn't do it.

SpyderMeLucky
04-19-2011, 09:57 AM
:agree: Your bike is a great color!! If you're happy with it, why change it, even if it is FREE. There's a saying something like "if it ain't broke, why fix it"? :dontknow:

fispyder
04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
See if he can mock something up to show you what he has in mind. A picture, even sketched on a napkin, can really give you some insight into what a creative mind is thinking.

If it's appealing, let him run with it and see where it goes! It's free afterall... and it won't be the last time you paint it. He may even offer to repaint it back to stock colors if you don't like it.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change :doorag::agree: new paint job for min. cost to you.

hut1
04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Buy an extra set of tins (tupperware) and have it painted. Then decide which you like best or switch back and forth! :joke:

Marker
04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
If you like your current color, why bother?:agree:

+1 If I was thinking of painting my Spyder then I would consider it but if I never thought of painting my Spyder until he proposed the idea, I wouldn't do it.
:agree: + 2

Eraser
04-19-2011, 04:02 PM

:agree:

:agree: + 2

:agree: +3

Raptor
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM

+2. It doesn't sound like you are comfortable with this, so don't do it. And if he is a friend and then he screws up your Spyder the relationship is strained permanently. I would pass.

dltang
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM

If you love your spyder the color it is, keep it that way. When you are ready for a paint job, if he truly is your friend, he will still be there and be willing to offer you a deal. Giving up what you love for the sake of your friends resume is a really big deal. What if you don't like the end result? That could hurt the relationship in the long run. I think you said it all in this quote "I love the color Orbit is now, and don't really want to change it." You answered your own question.

Blue Star
04-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I'll answer them as they were posted,

Just my 2 cents, keep the change :doorag:

Great Ideal, I'll talk to him about this.

Dude... A lighter blue on the black panels would look sharp! *or keep some of the black and use the light blue to transition between the orbit blue and black. There are a lot of good examples of spyders where there was bordering of colors on the black panels or body color panels...

Heck, even a white would be cool. It is about making it yours.

I did talk to T (real name Cornelius) about changing the black to a lighter blue, but white sounds interesting too.

Better make sure he knows how to paint plastic before having him do it. There have been a few people get theirs done incorrectly only to have cracking later-- especially around where the panels screw to the bike.

They have to use a special paint with modifiers in it to allow it to flex and not crack......

I asked him about this, and he said he has painted plastic before. He would have to get special paint for plastic.

My two week paint job took two months....just saying. :dontknow:

That is what I'm afraid of. If I do paint it, I think I will wait until it gets cold.

I was teasing him about painting it, and was surprised when he said yes. I was going to have him paint my daughters car before, but decided not to for other reasons.

Buy an extra set of tins (tupperware) and have it painted. Then decide which you like best or switch back and forth! :joke:

Good ideal, but would rather spend the money on other mods right now.

+2. It doesn't sound like you are comfortable with this, so don't do it. And if he is a friend and then he screws up your Spyder the relationship is strained permanently. I would pass.

Na, I would just fire him (great being the boss LOL)

If you love your spyder the color it is, keep it that way. When you are ready for a paint job, if he truly is your friend, he will still be there and be willing to offer you a deal. Giving up what you love for the sake of your friends resume is a really big deal. What if you don't like the end result? That could hurt the relationship in the long run. I think you said it all in this quote "I love the color Orbit is now, and don't really want to change it." You answered your own question.

It is the Orbital Blue I like, but have no problem with changing the black.