PDA

View Full Version : Pet Carrier Ready for my RT for Cuba

Barbwire
04-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Here is a regular pet carrier with 2 zippered pet access points, top and end. My husband reinforced it with CPVC 1/2" for safety and pet security at the end so the pet can not dig through the mesh. When constructed it slipped into the end of the bag and we use the top for access. It fits perfect on my Corbin seat on the RT. Buddy is ready to roll! We have used this type of carrier for years for another Shih Tzu we had and it affords them safety as well as ventilation and protection from weather. It is water repellent but we cover it if we get in a downpour with a rain cover we had for an old seat.

dltang
04-16-2011, 08:48 PM
I think when Brian reads this he will have found his next project. What kind of pet carrier is that? His dog is Mya in my signature line, a Shih Tzu/Bison Frise cross. You did a nice job by the way.

Barbwire
04-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks. We bought several of these carriers at the VA on sale when we were working motorcycle rallies because people would see our dog riding and want to make one themselves. It is an off brand but you can use any canvas pet carrier as long as it has a top load. This one is 18" L x 15" D x 11"H. We have used Sherpa and Samsonite in the past as well. PetsMart has lots of choices too. Our dogs are all around 10 to 12 #'s.

dltang
04-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks. We bought several of these carriers at the VA on sale when we were working motorcycle rallies because people would see our dog riding and want to make one themselves. It is an off brand but you can use any canvas pet carrier as long as it has a top load. This one is 18" L x 15" D x 11"H. We have used Sherpa and Samsonite in the past as well. PetsMart has lots of choices too. Our dogs are all around 10 to 12 #'s.

Thanks for the info. We will have to see what is out there. Mya is a bit of a chunk, I think she weighs in at about 20 lbs.

bjt
04-17-2011, 08:12 AM
It looks great. Because of Mya's size, I had a hard time finding one of the canvas carriers that fit her. She was just a little to long and/or tall for every carrier they had at Petsmart last year and I know she hasn't shrunk. Maybe I'll take another look today. I'm curious, do you have a harness on your dog that attaches in the carrier somehow? I know from my experience of mounting a basket on the fender of my tractor for Mya to ride in while I'm working with the tractor that if I don't have her strapped in, she has a tendency to stand up and maybe jump out if I stop moving.

NancysToy
04-17-2011, 09:22 AM
It looks great. Because of Mya's size, I had a hard time finding one of the canvas carriers that fit her. She was just a little to long and/or tall for every carrier they had at Petsmart last year and I know she hasn't shrunk. Maybe I'll take another look today. I'm curious, do you have a harness on your dog that attaches in the carrier somehow? I know from my experience of mounting a basket on the fender of my tractor for Mya to ride in while I'm working with the tractor that if I don't have her strapped in, she has a tendency to stand up and maybe jump out if I stop moving.
It would be easy to rig a short leash to that plastic framework to secure the dog. You could even add some velcro inside the bag to secure the plastic frame.

DynamoBT
04-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Another really nice job for a pet carrier!!

Someday I might actually have a dog small enough to need something like this. For now, the Bull Terriers are just too big. I don't want to put them so far away from me as to be in a pet trailer. So, no chance to take dogs with me on the Spyder for now.

It's really terrific to see the creativity and crafting skill of so many SpyderLovers. So many fabulous mods!!

Firefly
04-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Wouldn't have worked with the dog I had.......:D

Barbwire
04-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes there is a short leash inside but we only use it when we stop and open the carrier up so he/she can sit up and look around. Like gas stops, etc. The framework fits really tight so there is no sliding around. With our previous dog the leash wrapped around her neck one time so we never use it while riding. She also dug out one end of the carrier in a storm on the freeway going through Dallas and was hanging out the end which was mesh. I was riding my Harley behind my husband and saw her. Luckily we got pulled over and grabbed her up. Hence the framework and jail bars for protection!

Padre Spyder
04-17-2011, 08:31 PM
:congrats: Looks like a neat alternative.
Jenny & I look forward to meeting you and Buddy.:ohyea::ohyea:

bone crusher
04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
How about a case for a dog larger than a rodent? The one from the guy in Fl. looked good, but his number was disconnected and he didn't reply to any emails...

There is another option, but it's very, very expensive...

What to do?

TicketBait
04-17-2011, 10:58 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

bjt
04-18-2011, 12:22 PM
From the other pet carrier thread.

I'm positive this guy can make one for the RS. He can just about do anything. I've known him for several years and he designed and fabricated several things for us on our sailboat. Hand rails, mount for solar panels, mast for wind generator etc...

Or course, in order to make one he would have to have an RS in his shop, at least to make the first one. He had Kim's RT for 3-4 days. His name is Bob Bilicki, Phone # (239) 691-7171 or robertbilicki@aol.com. Located in Cape Coral FL. I told him I would most likely get some orders for him at the Smokies rally, or from SL.C website.
Len

He to my knowledge has never done one on the RS, and is not in the business of cranking out dog carriers for the spyder community therefor everything is custom made and "one of"...
He has done Len's on an RT however he would still need another RT as there were no plans to necessarily reproduce this project.
Maybe Len/Kim could possibly be monetarily persuaded... Pretty, Pretty, Please... :D to lend Bob Kim's RT to make a few carriers and then Kim could maybe add the backrests and covers at a reasonable profit???

I'm sure something could be made for the RS however it will likely be more costly simply due to the increased materials needed as the RT version uses the bike itself for most of the containment and there is no bottom, your furry friend sits on the seat all nice and comfortable like... at least my cat thinks the back seat of the spyder is comfy as he sleeps on it in the garage all day, the dog can't get up there by herself so the cat has decided it is his spot...

Anyway, if anyone is interested in one for the RT please let me know so we can try and get some made...

How about a case for a dog larger than a rodent? The one from the guy in Fl. looked good, but his number was disconnected and he didn't reply to any emails...

There is another option, but it's very, very expensive...

What to do?

I pulled two quotes in from that other thread with the custom made pet carrier you are talking about. They said it was made by a guy who does boat work, railings, etc. They also said he's not in the business of making strictly pet carriers for Spyders. Have you tried looking in your yellow pages for someone local to you who can do that type of work and see if they will build that other style carrier for your dog?

Jornie1
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Hey guys... I think I did give you some bad contact information for Bob the master fabricator. I discovered that the cell phone number I posted is no longer working. I was able to contact his home today and his wife is going to have him call me with the new number. I will post it as soon as I get it..

I saw the small black carrier with the PVC frame. It is definitely a clever and handy design. My concern with that one is "heat"... even with a mesh vent window, mid summer and nearly all the time down here where we live it could get extremely hot in that one. The vent is behind you, the rider, and lots of motorcycle parts, windshield etc... blocking most of the air flow... It's bad enough being out with a permanent fur coat on in hot weather but minimal or no airflow... OUCH!! Plus.... black is going to be really hot just because it's black.. In slow or stop and go riding... Wow.. the little guy or gal is going to cook....IMHO..

Len

Barbwire
04-18-2011, 04:30 PM
As I said in an earlier post our last little dog traveled in a carrier like this for 11 years with no heat or cold issues. She had thousands of miles from coast to coast and we lived in Texas where it gets very hot. It is just another option for those that can't or don't want to build something elaborate. When it is beastly hot I am not riding either and we are very cautious about weather conditions no matter which type of carrier we use. We have 2 dogs that travel together in an Airline approved plastic carrier on the back of my husband's HD and they do fine as well.

SpyderGirl
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Now if I could get my 80lb Boxer on my RS...

http://blstb.msn.com/i/33/25223343E02E9379FCEA84548E6CEA.jpg

I think I would need this......

http://www.missfidget.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sidecar_dogs.jpg

Jornie1
04-18-2011, 10:18 PM
That's about the best dang dog picture I've ever seen... They look Kewel and Cool... Len:2thumbs::2thumbs: