PDA

View Full Version : Rattle when letting off throttle

kenalmond
04-15-2011, 06:41 PM
2008 SE
24k miles

My Spyder has developed a rattling noise when I let off of the gas. I searched the forums and do not see anything similar. The mechanic at the dealer I use has no idea what could be causing it, and cannot discern where it originates. He put the machine up on a stand to allow the rear wheel to spin and simulate on the road travel. Roll on the throttle, everything is find. Let go and rattle, rattle, rattle. The cycle performs well. Good acceleration. Good shifting. Just this noise whenever I let off the gas. And no, I do not have a Hindle exhaust.

Any ideas? I don't want him to tear everything apart without an idea of where to go with the exploratory surgery.

Lamonster
04-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Your Harley buddies dropped a bolt in your pipe :lecturef_smilie:
Just kidding but sure sounds like an exhaust issue like a loose baffle or something.:dontknow:

:welcome:

dltang
04-15-2011, 07:09 PM
:welcome: Sorry I don't have any answers for you but Lamont's sounds like the first place to look.

fastfraser
04-15-2011, 08:05 PM
:welcome: Man it sound to me like you need an RTS !:roflblack:

NancysToy
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
:agree: First place I'd look is at the muffler. Loose baffle or loose heat shield would be a common cause.

fispyder
04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
:agree: First place I'd look is at the muffler. Loose baffle or loose heat shield would be a common cause.
:welcome:

boborgera
04-15-2011, 10:43 PM
2008 SE
24k miles

My Spyder has developed a rattling noise when I let off of the gas. I searched the forums and do not see anything similar. The mechanic at the dealer I use has no idea what could be causing it, and cannot discern where it originates. He put the machine up on a stand to allow the rear wheel to spin and simulate on the road travel. Roll on the throttle, everything is find. Let go and rattle, rattle, rattle. The cycle performs well. Good acceleration. Good shifting. Just this noise whenever I let off the gas. And no, I do not have a Hindle exhaust.

Any ideas? I don't want him to tear everything apart without an idea of where to go with the exploratory surgery.

:welcome: Like previously said sounds like the muffler.
Another [slight] possibly Sometimes when you take a lode off a bad wheel bearing [off throttle] you can get a rattling like sound.:dontknow:

kenalmond
06-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I should add that the situation has been getting worse.

Check transmission message, limp home mode, towed once to dealer #2
Dealer #2 blamed shop at Dealer #1
Can AM had Dealer #1 reperform a bearing job
Problem still exists, plus louder, more trans,mission and limp home faults
Can Am won't tow, so I drive to dealer #3
Check Transmission light comes on at low speed and gear, clears at high gear and speed - comes on 7 times on trip to Dealer #3
Limp Home mode twice - Stop, cycle power, clear, continue
Now, it has been 8 weeks, 3 dealers, and still no joy.

NancysToy
06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I should add that the situation has been getting worse.

Check transmission message, limp home mode, towed once to dealer #2
Dealer #2 blamed shop at Dealer #1
Can AM had Dealer #1 reperform a bearing job
Problem still exists, plus louder, more trans,mission and limp home faults
Can Am won't tow, so I drive to dealer #3
Check Transmission light comes on at low speed and gear, clears at high gear and speed - comes on 7 times on trip to Dealer #3
Limp Home mode twice - Stop, cycle power, clear, continue
Now, it has been 8 weeks, 3 dealers, and still no joy.
Your dealer should be able to find some fault codes in BUDS, with this history. If I were the dealer, I would suspect the GPS. As to the rattle, I agree with Lamont, the muffler is the first place to look.

Raptor
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree, it seems there are two issues at play here. Perhaps dealer #3 would have a stock can that he could borrow to put on your machine to either confirm or rule that out?

The codes make me want to suspect the GPS as well, given some historical posts of similar symptoms. I hope that the third dealer is the charm for you.

wildbill6565
06-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Have your tect check front drive pulley.

kenalmond
06-03-2011, 03:06 PM
I agree, it seems there are two issues at play here. Perhaps dealer #3 would have a stock can that he could borrow to put on your machine to either confirm or rule that out?

The codes make me want to suspect the GPS as well, given some historical posts of similar symptoms. I hope that the third dealer is the charm for you.

I still don't think it's the muffler. Regardless, Update: No word from Service at BRP dot COM. No word from Carlo. 3rd dealer now says he is too busy and wants Can Am to send a tech to fix it. Crimeny! Jumping Jehosaphat! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

rleathen
06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
I had the exact same thing happen with it sounding like rattling metal. Turns out the original factory spec for belt tension was a little high causing excessive wear on the main drive shaft bearing. This obviously required a partial engine rebuild to replace it, all luckily done under warranty.

2008 SE5 24000 km

hawkiii
06-19-2011, 08:31 AM
I just noticed this same rattle yesterday. The wife and I took a nice ride yesterday, before we left I ran to gas up and get some cash and heard a rattle that sounded like it was coming from right underneath me. I have dealt with the baffle rattle already and was able to have that fixed. This is coming from right underneath me and only when off the throttle.

Now I am wondering if we should take the ride we have planned for today. We aren't going that far but we will be on a 2 lane Hwy known as "Blood Alley", not an ideal road to break down on. Little to no shoulder for most of the road. Only going about 30 miles. Would you go?

wyliec
06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
I just noticed this same rattle yesterday. The wife and I took a nice ride yesterday, before we left I ran to gas up and get some cash and heard a rattle that sounded like it was coming from right underneath me. I have dealt with the baffle rattle already and was able to have that fixed. This is coming from right underneath me and only when off the throttle.

Now I am wondering if we should take the ride we have planned for today. We aren't going that far but we will be on a 2 lane Hwy known as "Blood Alley", not an ideal road to break down on. Little to no shoulder for most of the road. Only going about 30 miles. Would you go?

If that is going to be on your mind, I'd say don't go. When riding you don't want to think about breaking down; you need to concentrate on what you are doing.

hawkiii
06-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Once I decide I am going to ride, all else is out the window. We are going to go ahead with today's ride but off to the dealer we go to get this taken care of this week. Now that the weather is nice I have the itch to ride. Don't want her in the shop for an extended visit just when the perfect weather has arrived.

COOLMACHINE
06-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I had the exact same thing happen with it sounding like rattling metal. Turns out the original factory spec for belt tension was a little high causing excessive wear on the main drive shaft bearing. This obviously required a partial engine rebuild to replace it, all luckily done under warranty.

2008 SE5 24000 km

:agree:

Also had Hindle exhaust heat shield rattling but that was easy enough to diagnose. Best of luck.

kenalmond
06-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Well, Can-Am found the problem. A spindle shaft in the engine. At higher rpm or under load it either centered (high rpm) or under load would engage fully. Solution - they are replacing the entire engine/drive package.

NancysToy
06-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Well, Can-Am found the problem. A spindle shaft in the engine. At higher rpm or under load it either centered (high rpm) or under load would engage fully. Solution - they are replacing the entire engine/drive package.
Glad they found the cause. Very glad they are replacing the engine. That's absolutely the best cure.

spyderwatey
07-15-2011, 09:44 PM
My 2010 RTS with 15k on the clock developed a rattle this spring. My wife first noticed it when I pulled in the driveway. Something is rattling. From that point on I was more attentive to the rattle that seemed to be coming from the muffler. It was not there at all upon startup. The engine had to get to a normal operating temp for it to develop. It got to be embarrassing at stop lights. I could not hear it going down the road. I took my Spyder to my dealer for them to listen. My service guys had no doubt it was a loose baffle in the muffler. They ordered a new muffler with some reluctance, I feel, from BRP. They claim they have not heard of this before. But send a new muffler they did; if you can believe $1700 for a muffler! I now have a new muffler that looks like the old one, but much cleaner. More important, no rattle.

happyspyder2039
07-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Possable cause- the spyder dropping out of warp speed CLANK. Happens to me often! Jk