PDA

View Full Version : Hello!, and thanks for such a great site for information

ArkTerry
04-14-2011, 03:28 PM
I want to say "Hello" to everyone and also say "Thanks" for having this great, informative, friendly site which I have been spending way to much time on the past week educating myself on Spyders!

I am a 49 year old ready to start a new adventure of road riding/touring only because of finding the Spyders. I road motorcross bikes in the 60s thru early 80s, and 4 wheelers as an adult, along with many SeaDoos from BRP over the past many years, but I have never had a desire for street riding until the Spyder showed itself to me. Something about the large stable format calls to me I guess for a fun way for the wife and I to spend some time. We live in the Northeast corner of Arkansas in the city of Jonesboro (about 1 hour NW from Memphis) and have no dealers closer than Memphis, TN, so I have yet to see a Spyder in person (have never seen one in my travels in this area), but have spent way to many hours online the past many weeks soaking them in.

I have been slowly answering most of my questions and concerns reading all the posts back for months and months here and have found them very helpful and have pretty much settled on gettting a 2011 RT-S SE5 in either Dark Silver or Black (though the white limited really catches my eye, but the GPS and bags are not really needed by me I feel for 2K more)

I am sure I will post several more questions in the near future, but for now I mainly would like to ask this;

1. Anyone here have any knowledge on the two dealers located in Memphis or the one in Jackson, TN, or the ones in Little Rock or Pine Bluff, AR? If none of those five are good, dependable, helpful dealers, I guess I will just have to make the 3 1/2 to 4 hour one way trip to Cowtown to do my business, based on the high praises for them I have read here.

2. Would the Spyderfeast in Cowtown, be a place where an non owner like me could come for just the day and be able to see and talk to lots of Spyder owners about mods, etc.. or would me being an non owner be a intruder on fun times kinda?

3. Any special suggestions for big guys would be appreciated. I am 6'5" and about 300 to 320 lbs normally and hot natured of course, so have concerns on leg aching and the heat of wearing what seems to be highly recommend clothing/full helmets even in summer.

Thanks for your time and look forward to getting to know eveyone better as time goes on.

:2excited:

DougB
04-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Do go to Spyderfest. All your concerns will be answered. I hear Cowtown is a great dealer.

Lamonster
04-14-2011, 03:47 PM
:agree: :welcome:

SpyderAnn01
04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
:welcome: and absolutely go to Spyderfest.

Raptor
04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Yup, I agree. You live close enough, so if I were you I would go to the Fest. You will see a great variety of different Spyders, mods, the whole works. Folks will be more than happy to answer any and all questions you may have.

And who knows; once you hook up with the Cow Town guys you just may ride outta there! :thumbup: Good luck and if you do end up going have fun.

dltang
04-14-2011, 03:51 PM
:welcome:

musicarcade
04-14-2011, 04:17 PM
:welcome: You have come to the right place, and if you can make it to Cuba, you should go. I wish I could...:(

JJW SpyderRider
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
:welcome: If you do go to Spyderfest bring your checkbook! Once you get a good look a the these roadsters the hook will be set and you will be on one soon. :yes:

My first bike is the Spyder at 49 and I love it, can't get enough time in the saddle. :2thumbs:

ARtraveler
04-14-2011, 04:47 PM
:welcome: and have fun on your quest for the new :spyder2:

Papa
04-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Agreed. My Rt is my first bike at age 64. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastfraser
04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
:welcome: Spyderfest is the place to be to see all things :spyder2: and Cowtown has 5 tricked out Spiders as well as the regular Spyders for you to check out . I'm sure if you talk to Len at Cowtown there could be a test drive in your future !

gypsie
04-14-2011, 05:02 PM
congrats on wanting to get one.

Getting ours from Cowtown. first RT....ages 57 and 63. it's sure to be different than the HD. ;)

NancysToy
04-14-2011, 05:02 PM

I hope you get a chance to see, sit on, and hopefully even demo ride, a Spyder in person real soon.

owens9fingers
04-14-2011, 06:55 PM
:welcome: Spyderfest would be one of your best stops you could make for Sales or Service !!!

2NFrnt
04-14-2011, 08:53 PM
ArkTerry, first let me say that I have no information on any of the dealers that are closer to you, but you will be doing yourself a favor if you make the drive to Cuba and visit Len and the gang at Cowtown and by all means come to SpyderFest.

Like you probably are, I’m a guy with small town values (did I mention that I grew up at Harrison, Ark.) who likes honest friendly people and hates to be pressured. I have been in this area for 25+ years and know Len and his family and they are the kind of people I like to deal with. Could you get a better deal somewhere else? Maybe, but you will never feel as good about it. These guys are great, they put up with me and treat me like family so I’m sure you will like them too. BTW – I was born in Pocahontas, Ark.

SilverFox1
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
:welcome: Congrats on your decision to pursue your dream. However, I think it's already too late,,, you've been bitten! There's no turning back now! You will ryde a Spyder soon. Word of advice,, don't even look at the Pearl White Limited Edition!!! It's addictive.

Silverfox

COOLMACHINE
04-14-2011, 09:46 PM
What?!!!!, Now we gotta let the "Non-Spyder" Riders come to Spyderfest?!!!!
What's this world coming to? :joke:
ArkTerry, glad you joined Spyderlovers. Hope you get a machine, "sooner, rather than later." :D

KipDM
04-15-2011, 01:48 AM
not sure how much time you have spent looking things up but i LITERALLY would stay up late looking at videos and reading reviews for these things even BEFORE i ordered my :spyder:. and to make things worse...i nly sacrificed MORE sleep after i ordered it.

my :spyder2: came home Tuesday, April 5 and i try to ryde her every day....but i no longer lose sleep over it..she's here i can ryde anytime i want. i am much happier and MUCH more well rested.

i am 6'1" and have no problems with leg room on my RS and they are a "sportier" ride (meaning less legroom and different upper body ryding angle) but several site sponsors have either floorboards or highway pegs that would allow your to stretch out more.

if you are worried about airflow, you can always remove (or shorten) the side wind deflectors and lower the windshield (RTs have an electric, movable windshield). if you still want more airflow there are also site sponsor who make smaller windshields for the RT.

when it comes to options (which determine available colors) look for what your REALLY want. if i could have afforded the RT model/options i wanted i actually would have bought an RT instead of an RS. i couldn't wait any longer so bought an RS and hope to trade in for an RT in 3-4 years. but whatever you do make sure the options package you MUST have is your baseline. if you don't want GPS or the luggage bags, then do NOT get Limited Edition unless you MUST have a white RT. the :f_spider: is all about being what you want, not what others expect. make it yours.

and :welcome: from one noob to another.

fispyder
04-15-2011, 05:52 AM
:welcome: You have come to the right place, and if you can make it to Cuba, you should go. I wish I could...:(
:agree::2thumbs:

ArkTerry
04-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and invites to spyderfest, I will have to see about coming up for a day. Any particular day better than another?

I am off to Memphis tomorrow to check out the two dealers there and see a Spyder in person for first time and show it to the wife. Leaving checkbook at home for now to be safe, LOL

tofriendscreek
04-16-2011, 08:14 AM
:welcome: I'm not a big guy like you, but the rest is pretty similar. I hadn't been on a bike in 30+ years and never thought about getting another one ... until a friend of my neighbor showed up on what I learned was a Spyder. From the moment I saw it I became engrossed in the thought of riding one. I visited a local dealer and sat on a new RT and RS. I learned what I thought I needed to know and bought my RS from a dealer a thousand miles away. I knew the mods that I would need to make like risers, floorboards, etc.. I bought some "for sale" on this site, and I've got a ride that satisfied me to the max.

Once bitten by the :f_spider: life isn't the same. It only gets better. Happy hunting. You'll know your :spyder2: when you see it.

KipDM
04-17-2011, 02:34 AM
i forgot to mention i was 305 lbs when i bought the :spyder2: but am losing weight...and not just so it can carry me and the wife at same time.

but at your/my weight, unless your wife is really small duo riding on an RS is not possible. so unless your wife is tiny or you plan onlosing a fair amout of weight the RT is DEF the way to go. again, if i could have afforded i woulda started at the RTs. i LOVE my RSS but would really like to take my wife out ryding too....