PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Zumo up high

GeoffCee
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
When I took delivery of my RT I wanted to fix my trusty Zumo 550 up where I could glance at it without losing contact with what was happening ahead on the road. Finding a neat way of doing that has taken some time but at last it's done.

The double-skinned moulding above the instruments is plenty strong enough to support the weight of the Zumo, its cradle and a RAM-Ball mount and the air space between the skins is deep enough to allow the wiring for the Zumo to be run along inside there without danger of it being crushed. All that was needed was to cut a hole for the wiring to pass through into the air space.

That done, another hole was needed in the top skin for a RAM ball. The neatest option was RAM-B-260, a 1" ball on a threaded pillar which I could bolt from underneath. It was supplied from RAM Mount UK with a 10-24 thread but I didn't think this was substantial enough so I drilled it out and tapped it to take a M6 bolt. I thought it sensible to spread the weight of the Zumo with an oversized washer both under and over the plastic.

As well as providing turn-by-turn road directions the Zumo can Bluetooth to a phone and it can play mp3 music files, all of which is handled admirably by an Autocom Pro Automatic which I have found a place for under the RT's seat. It was necessary to lift the seat a wee bit for added clearance and for this I used felt washers, the kind used to stop wooden furniture legs making a din on hard floors. I had to adjust the seat locking mechanism to take care of the slight increase in height. I also took the back peg out of the over-battery tray which also added a little more headroom for the Autocom unit. It sits on a Velcro patch to keep it in position.

See also my post "Mounting a Zumo Up High - Job Done!" on this Forum for addtional photo coverage of the installation.

NancysToy
04-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Nice work!

BMF_RACING
04-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I like the mount location and setup. Good work and thank you for taking the time to take the pictures. :2thumbs:

jgwoods
08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks! I'm about to do a similar install and I appreciate the pix to lead the way.

chris56
08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
;) really cool job ... hope you have no copyright s..

MMcc
08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
I think you did a nice job. I tried to find a good mounting location for my Nuvi. Ended up removing the left speaker grill. Fastening the bracket to the metal brace and drilling 2 - 1/4" holes in the grill for the ram mount bolts. I did not like my wires exposed so I will follow your lead and notch the visor and run the wires there. Thanks for the excellent pictures and ideas.

CyncySpyder
08-10-2011, 03:23 PM
:2thumbs:After seeing your post a while back, I decided to do similar with Teddy's Zumo 665 & it worked out GREAT :2thumbs:
:thumbup:I used a Ram-Mount to attach it to the top dash & wired it thru a whole I drilled in the lip of the 2 dash pieces & its seemless:thumbup:
:clap:Just came back from a 2000 mile road-trip to SITA & it worked flawlessly & proved invaluable:clap:
:bowdown: So again, Thanks for sharing this with all of us :thumbup:

GeoffCee
08-13-2011, 05:01 AM
:thumbup:I used a Ram-Mount to attach it to the top dash

Your sat-nav looks so RIGHT sitting up there on top. Well done.

BMW
08-29-2011, 03:29 PM
:2thumbs:After seeing your post a while back, I decided to do similar with Teddy's Zumo 665 & it worked out GREAT :2thumbs:
:thumbup:I used a Ram-Mount to attach it to the top dash & wired it thru a whole I drilled in the lip of the 2 dash pieces & its seemless:thumbup:
:clap:Just came back from a 2000 mile road-trip to SITA & it worked flawlessly & proved invaluable:clap:
:bowdown: So again, Thanks for sharing this with all of us :thumbup:

I have a zumo 660 I would like to mount as you and Goeffcee did. My ? is where did you hook the wires to, or did you install some kind of fuse block. btw nice job on both.:clap:

ARtraveler
08-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Great information. Thanks for posting & pictures.

GeoffCee
08-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I have a zumo 660 I would like to mount as you and Goeffcee did. My ? is where did you hook the wires to, or did you install some kind of fuse block. btw nice job on both.:clap:

I used a relay so that my Zumo 550 would only take power from the battery while the engine was running. The switched supply I used to trigger the relay I found under the left-hand passenger hand grip. It's a green/grey wire going to the heated grip control. I made a connection to this wire using a Positap and ran it to the relay's connector #86.

I then ran an earth to the relay's connector #87 to complete the trigger circuit.

The supply for the satnav came directly off the battery post, through a 3 amp in-line fuse, to connector #30 on the relay.

Finally I provided an earth to complete the satnav power circuit by running a wire from connector #87 to the common earthing point at the rear of the petrol tank.

I should mention that the power wire for the Zumo is long enough to run all the way back to the battery, so that's how come I wired up the relay in that area of the Spyder.

2Gunns
09-01-2011, 11:54 AM
OK....time for the DUH? question of the week. How to you get underneath the double layered dash to drill and mount the RAM?

CyncySpyder
09-01-2011, 12:15 PM
all you have to do, is remove the 2 screws from the TOP of the dash. this will give you enough room to pry the 2 black plastic dash pieces apart, enough to get to where you need to work. i didnt take the brackets off to save time. doing so would give you full access to take them completely apart. but for mounting the ram-mount, you dont require that much room. hope this makes sense and helps, if not, just pm me and i'll give you my cell number and i can talk u through it. its not difficult at all, good luck ....... Dave

Cavman
02-08-2012, 03:32 AM
OK, once you get the cable up under the dash part, where does the cable get routed to power?

CyncySpyder
02-08-2012, 11:36 AM
OK, once you get the cable up under the dash part, where does the cable get routed to power? There are different ways of going about this. I unplugged both my analogue fuel & temp. gauges & they both show up on the LCD screen & seem to be much more stable/accurate. I then plugged the power for the Garmin into the power supply for the disconnected fuel gauge in the instrument cluster. I could have used either, it doesn't matter which one you use really. Thats one way or you could run it back & hook it up to your battery directly, but I wanted a switched power source & using the power for the disconnected gauge works well for us & we haven't had an issue in almost a year now. Good Luck . . . . Dave & Teddy~

IndySpyder
03-12-2012, 12:18 PM
When I took delivery of my RT I wanted to fix my trusty Zumo 550 up where I could glance at it without losing contact with what was happening ahead on the road. Finding a neat way of doing that has taken some time but at last it's done.

The double-skinned moulding above the instruments is plenty strong enough to support the weight of the Zumo, its cradle and a RAM-Ball mount and the air space between the skins is deep enough to allow the wiring for the Zumo to be run along inside there without danger of it being crushed. All that was needed was to cut a hole for the wiring to pass through into the air space.

That done, another hole was needed in the top skin for a RAM ball. The neatest option was RAM-B-260, a 1" ball on a threaded pillar which I could bolt from underneath. It was supplied from RAM Mount UK with a 10-24 thread but I didn't think this was substantial enough so I drilled it out and tapped it to take a M6 bolt. I thought it sensible to spread the weight of the Zumo with an oversized washer both under and over the plastic.

As well as providing turn-by-turn road directions the Zumo can Bluetooth to a phone and it can play mp3 music files, all of which is handled admirably by an Autocom Pro Automatic which I have found a place for under the RT's seat. It was necessary to lift the seat a wee bit for added clearance and for this I used felt washers, the kind used to stop wooden furniture legs making a din on hard floors. I had to adjust the seat locking mechanism to take care of the slight increase in height. I also took the back peg out of the over-battery tray which also added a little more headroom for the Autocom unit. It sits on a Velcro patch to keep it in position.

See also my post "Mounting a Zumo Up High - Job Done!" on this Forum for addtional photo coverage of the installation.

Great Article

Flight Risk
03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I am considering purchasing a Zumo 660 and really would like it mounted high center like you guys have done; however, I am mechanically deficient and would have to ask my dealership to do this. I have a 2011 Spyder RT-S SE5. I am wondering if they would do it as they normally use the BRP mount that goes at the apex of the handle bars.

Any suggestions on what I should say to them regarding how this mount can be done? What is the full name of the mount you are using and lastly........is this something that would/could void the warranty.

Any help will be appreciated greatly!!!

"I would never ride anything I built"

SpyderGirl
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Looks good. I also have mine up there, of course I have a RS. :-)

CyncySpyder
03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
I am considering purchasing a Zumo 660 and really would like it mounted high center like you guys have done; however, I am mechanically deficient and would have to ask my dealership to do this. I have a 2011 Spyder RT-S SE5. I am wondering if they would do it as they normally use the BRP mount that goes at the apex of the handle bars.
Any suggestions on what I should say to them regarding how this mount can be done? What is the full name of the mount you are using and lastly........is this something that would/could void the warranty.
Any help will be appreciated greatly!!! "I would never ride anything I built"

I'm no tech guy, but my friend & I did ours with the help of this Thread from the original poster. So if you took all the needed supplies (GPS unit, Ram Mount, 6'audio extension cable) along with this thread, I'd think your dealer would be able to take care of the install for you, at a cost of course. Heck, call them & ask, if so, feel free to PM me & I'll have Teddy look up all the products we used so you can order whats needed. Its not really that difficult, & besides the cost of the GPS, prohably less than $50 for the other accessories. Good luck, & ours is still work'n great, over 24,000 miles of smiles :D

Flight Risk
03-29-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm no tech guy, but my friend & I did ours with the help of this Thread from the original poster. So if you took all the needed supplies (GPS unit, Ram Mount, 6'audio extension cable) along with this thread, I'd think your dealer would be able to take care of the install for you, at a cost of course. Heck, call them & ask, if so, feel free to PM me & I'll have Teddy look up all the products we used so you can order whats needed. Its not really that difficult, & besides the cost of the GPS, prohably less than $50 for the other accessories. Good luck, & ours is still work'n great, over 24,000 miles of smiles :D

Is there a particular Ram Mount that you used? I am going with the 660 as I don't need the XM stuff.
Really appreciate your posts with pictures! Well done!!!

CyncySpyder
03-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Is there a particular Ram Mount that you used? I am going with the 660 as I don't need the XM stuff.
Let me know if I can help in any other way. dav n ted~

kinggeek
03-29-2012, 05:02 PM

2 - https://www.gpscity.com/ramb347
1 - http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-medium-arm-b-socket-ram-b-201u.html

You will need screws and nuts to attach it all but these are the Ram parts you need. I also used a 1/4" thick black foam rubber material under the mount on the dash. I makes the flat Ram mount fit more snuggly to the curved dash.

GeoffCee
04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I am wondering if they would do it as they normally use the BRP mount that goes at the apex of the handle bars.

Yes they do and yes it does. I guess it's a natural thing for a dealer to go with the manufacturer's products and preferences, especially as for him there is a chunk of profit in it. But step back and take a look at a problem and you'll sometimes find a better, cheaper way around it of your own. That's what I did. Inevitably, there is a tendency for some Spyder owners to believe that "BRP knows best" but I'm not one of 'em.

Smatter of fact it's true that BRP has CAUSED many of the problems we owners complain about, if not the majority of 'em. As this Forum demonstrates, almost on a daily basis, there is an amazing amount of ingenuity among contributors to SpyderLovers.com who are keen to discover and share their solutions to many of the issues that affect all of us Spyder riders. I think it would be a pity to waste that talent.

As the author of the original "Mounting a Zumo up High" contribution to the "How to: Step-by-Step" board I suggest you print off my article and wave it under the nose of your Can-Am dealer. Good luck. What you say to him is up to you but I'd start by complementing him on his good looks. I'd also dress down and plead poverty, even though you already know it will do no good. Demeaning yourself is character-building. But why you would go to him at all is a mystery when my instructions are clear and detailed enough to allow anyone able to use a few basic tools to complete the job. (I even included the ref # of the RAM-ball I used).

If you are worried about invalidating your warranty I cannot advise you. Clearly, your warranty is essentially an agreement between BRP and yourself. Obviously, I don't know your financial circumstances but I'm willing to bet they can afford better lawyers. :ani29:

midiehl
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
I have made this Mod to my RTS and added a Ram-348U antenna mount and completly stopped the satilite blockage.

SpydherLuv
04-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Has anyone ever used a Ram suction cup mount, like this? http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-7xx-pivot-suction-cup-mount.html There is only one review on it at GPS City and it's not very favorable. I was thinking of mounting my Nuvi to the left side of the windshield using this suction cup mount, but if it's a POS I'll mount per the OP's instructions.

NancysToy
04-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Has anyone ever used a Ram suction cup mount, like this? http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin-nuvi-7xx-pivot-suction-cup-mount.html There is only one review on it at GPS City and it's not very favorable. I was thinking of mounting my Nuvi to the left side of the windshield using this suction cup mount, but if it's a POS I'll mount per the OP's instructions.
Suction cup mounts are usually only happy with a flat, smooth surface. I suspect the windshield curvature would allow it to come loose. You migght be able to stick one of those round, plastic discs to the top of the dash, then uses a suction mount on that...similar to waht folks do in their cars.

SpydherLuv
04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Ah, yes...the dreaded curvature of the windshield :gaah:. Yep, sounds like my only options are to use a disc or bolt a Ram ball to the dash. Thanks Scotty!

GeoffCee
04-03-2012, 06:23 AM

RAM produce some really good stuff but using a suction mount on a trike or bike is not something I'd do. The suction pad suddenly letting go of its grip is always a danger.

If you attach a suction mount to the windscreen of a car and the suction fails the mount and its cargo will probably drop no more than a few inches onto the top of the dash and be dealt with safely by the driver or passenger.

If the suction cup loses its grip on a trike's windscreen there's no telling where it will end up. It will have the rider's complete attention at the moment it goes, that's for sure. My point is, it's a bad situation that could all too easily become a traffic accident. :(

SpydherLuv
04-03-2012, 10:00 AM
That's my biggest concern and why I wanted to know if anyone has used a suction mount. I've read quite a few threads where SL's have mounted their cameras on the body of the :spyder2: using suction mounts without any issues and wondered if the same stability held true for a GPS unit on the windshield. I placed an order from GPS City for some ball mounts and plan to mount my Garmin like you did. I also plan to mount my GoPro on the deflectors, like Lamont has done (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34330-Lamonster-RTW-Project-Drift-HD170&highlight=lamonster%2B+camera).

Thanks for your inputs!

Flight Risk
04-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes they do and yes it does. I guess it's a natural thing for a dealer to go with the manufacturer's products and preferences, especially as for him there is a chunk of profit in it. But step back and take a look at a problem and you'll sometimes find a better, cheaper way around it of your own. That's what I did. Inevitably, there is a tendency for some Spyder owners to believe that "BRP knows best" but I'm not one of 'em.

Smatter of fact it's true that BRP has CAUSED many of the problems we owners complain about, if not the majority of 'em. As this Forum demonstrates, almost on a daily basis, there is an amazing amount of ingenuity among contributors to SpyderLovers.com who are keen to discover and share their solutions to many of the issues that affect all of us Spyder riders. I think it would be a pity to waste that talent.

As the author of the original "Mounting a Zumo up High" contribution to the "How to: Step-by-Step" board I suggest you print off my article and wave it under the nose of your Can-Am dealer. Good luck. What you say to him is up to you but I'd start by complementing him on his good looks. I'd also dress down and plead poverty, even though you already know it will do no good. Demeaning yourself is character-building. But why you would go to him at all is a mystery when my instructions are clear and detailed enough to allow anyone able to use a few basic tools to complete the job. (I even included the ref # of the RAM-ball I used).

If you are worried about invalidating your warranty I cannot advise you. Clearly, your warranty is essentially an agreement between BRP and yourself. Obviously, I don't know your financial circumstances but I'm willing to bet they can afford better lawyers. :ani29:

Well guys, I have tried every approach known to get my dealer to mount my Zumo 660 up high....talked to everyone at the dealership including the owner who is also over the service dept. I was told that mounting the zumo up high was "in the line of sight" and BRP nor my dealer were willing to take the liability that could come from a potential accident. They also informed me the Zumo motorcycle harness wouldn't work with the RT-S and I would need one of their OEM harnesses. I pleaded that with a metal plate in my neck it wasn't very comfortable looking down (I also wear a full face helmet). They just said their hands were tied. So, basically I can have someone do it and ruin my electrical warranty or put up with the dealer's standard mounting position.

To all of you who are able to do your own unique installs, I salute you!!!

tofriendscreek
04-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I didn't want my 665 GPS on the dash, cause it was in my line of sight. It's mounted on the steering column, but not on the BRP mount. I do know I used the harness that came in the box; it goes from the column along the side to near the side bag. I had to buy a "connecting harness" from BRP to connect it to the harness which is located up and behind that rear side bag. Everything plugs and connects together, snapped in the 665 and off I went.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tfqha3
I'm mobile using Tapatalk

NancysToy
04-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Well guys, I have tried every approach known to get my dealer to mount my Zumo 660 up high....talked to everyone at the dealership including the owner who is also over the service dept. I was told that mounting the zumo up high was "in the line of sight" and BRP nor my dealer were willing to take the liability that could come from a potential accident. They also informed me the Zumo motorcycle harness wouldn't work with the RT-S and I would need one of their OEM harnesses. I pleaded that with a metal plate in my neck it wasn't very comfortable looking down (I also wear a full face helmet). They just said their hands were tied. So, basically I can have someone do it and ruin my electrical warranty or put up with the dealer's standard mounting position.

Your warranty won't be compromised. Unless the accessory cuases or contributes to the failure, the warranty remains in effect. That is Federal law...and is echoed in most state laws.

SpydherLuv
04-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Have you considered mounting it on the handlebar like this?:

The picture is taken at my line of site while sitting on the seat. I do have to look down slightly, but it's really not very much (not as much as if it were factory mounted).

Here is a side view of how it's mounted. I had a Ram ball left over from my BMW F650GS and re-used it along with the 4" extension. If you need it to be higher, you can probably mount it on one of the upper handlebar bolts with a longer Ram extension. After taking a long ride yesterday, I may change my mind about mounting it on the dash. If it were on the dash, I may have to reach too far to access the unit (short girl with short arms ;)).

So, you may want to try mounting it higher from the handlebars using a long Ram extension.

Flight Risk
04-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Have you considered mounting it on the handlebar like this?:

The picture is taken at my line of site while sitting on the seat. I do have to look down slightly, but it's really not very much (not as much as if it were factory mounted).

Here is a side view of how it's mounted. I had a Ram ball left over from my BMW F650GS and re-used it along with the 4" extension. If you need it to be higher, you can probably mount it on one of the upper handlebar bolts with a longer Ram extension. After taking a long ride yesterday, I may change my mind about mounting it on the dash. If it were on the dash, I may have to reach too far to access the unit (short girl with short arms ;)).

So, you may want to try mounting it higher from the handlebars using a long Ram extension.

Thank you for the suggestion.......I am 5' 10" tall and have long ol monkey arms so it wouldn't bother me so much. This is definitely something to consider. Thank you!!

GeoffCee
04-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I was told that mounting the zumo up high was "in the line of sight"...

Of course it is in your line of sight, that is the whole point of mounting your sat-nav screen up where the traffic action is. With the screen raised the twin arms of the metal frame which supports it is also in your line of sight, but of course your eyes and brain working together are able to ignore the obstruction.

We are not talking about a pair of fixed optics here, our vision is stereoscopic, dynamic and selective and we are able to see around objects which appear close to us in our field of view. If you doubt this hold your hand at arm's length, spread your fingers and concentrate on objects in the distance. You will be visually aware of your fingers, of course, but they will probably not have the obscuring effect you may have expected. The attached photo shows where my Zumo 550 is placed and I can say that I honestly don't see it unless I want to check some detail or other on its screen. I am convinced that this option is safer than BRP's prefered mount.

I am very pleased with the way this has worked out. I've got about 6,000 miles on the installation now and it has remained rock solid and reliable over many different types of road. Of course if the road surface is so bad that it causes the Spyder to bounce up and down you are going to get some unavoidable movement in the sat-nav but mounted on its short arm (3") the screen remains generally rock steady and readable. I also find that the Spyder's windscreen protects my Garmin from the worst of the rain, too, which is a bonus I hadn't planned for! :thumbup:

GeoffCee
04-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Now here is a really scary sat-nav mount attached to a BeeEmm 1200 RT. Can you imagine the damage this device would cause to the male anatomy if the rider was to slide up the tank at 60 mph in a head-on collision? :yikes:

Lamonster
04-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Here's another option.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28161&d=1308072330
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25949&d=1297038746

RodO
04-06-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm not keen on making holes so I just used a longer bolt in the upper left bolt hole on the dashboard for a RAM mount. The wiring goes through the speaker grill opening back to the battery. Unplugging the analog fuel gauge turns on the digital one in the main cluster, so it doesn't matter that the gps sits in front of the gauge. http://img.tapatalk.com/cf2fdff5-66b4-86c5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/cf2fdff5-66c7-f442.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpydherLuv
04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm not keen on making holes so I just used a longer bolt in the upper left bolt hole on the dashboard for a RAM mount. The wiring goes through the speaker grill opening back to the battery. Unplugging the analog fuel gauge turns on the digital one in the main cluster, so it doesn't matter that the gps sits in front of the gauge. http://img.tapatalk.com/cf2fdff5-66b4-86c5.jpg

That's a great idea! :thumbup: I think my only concern would be that the threads the bolt screws into are, I believe, brass and would be susceptible to stripping if you tighten the bolt too much. And you need to be sure you have that on snug otherwise the GPS is gonna bounce around. Were you able to tighten the bolt down enough to where you have minimal to no shaking on the GPS? It looks like you used a standard bolt, what length is it?

RodO
04-06-2012, 05:51 PM
That's a great idea! :thumbup: I think my only concern would be that the threads the bolt screws into are, I believe, brass and would be susceptible to stripping if you tighten the bolt too much. And you need to be sure you have that on snug otherwise the GPS is gonna bounce around. Were you able to tighten the bolt down enough to where you have minimal to no shaking on the GPS? It looks like you used a standard bolt, what length is it?

Sorry but I don't remember the bolt length. There's zero shake and is still snug and rock solid after very nearly 16,000 km which is almost 10,000 miles.
I like that position as its high and easy to see without having to drop your head, and not in the line of sight to block anything from view on the road, and in easy reach while riding.

CyncySpyder
04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28161&d=1308072330
Hey Lamont, Teddy had me also try this position first after we disconnected the analogue gauges:thumbup:
We have since switched (like I think you have as well) to the top of the dash:2thumbs: & am very pleased with it there:firstplace:
Did you notice any issues with sun-glare on the screen of the GPS while ride'n at certain times of the day?:hun:

http://img.tapatalk.com/cf2fdff5-66b4-86c5.jpg

Nice think'n outside the box :thumbup: Have you noticed any issues with Sun-Glare while ryde'n at cetain times of the day?:hun:

This set-up is what Teddy likes BEST :firstplace: and it works well for us :thumbup::thumbup:

Tin Can
04-06-2012, 08:28 PM
If there is a Bass Pro Shop near you they have a very large selection of Ram Mounts and accesories.

RodO
04-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Have you noticed any issues with Sun-Glare while ryde'n at cetain times of the day?:hun:

With the sun full on it, sure there is glare -- but that's really only early or late in the day, so I ride to the east in the morning and into the sunset at the end of the day... :ohyea:

GeoffCee
04-08-2012, 11:30 AM
With the sun full on it, sure there is glare -- but that's really only early or late in the day, so I ride to the east in the morning and into the sunset at the end of the day... :ohyea:

You avoid glare off your sat-nav screen by riding into the sun, there and back?
Sheesh! You are going to ruin your complexion... :roflblack:

jgwoods
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh335/jgwoods1/IMG_0623.jpg
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh335/jgwoods1/IMG_0624.jpg

I goofed whne I put the hole in the dash top where I did as it required the longer RAM arm to position it right for me. That made it bouncy so I kluged a little wedge of wood to stabilize it then used the handymans favorite duct tape to cover my kluge.

I am very tall and took the second picture from eye level. even though it seems to be so high up as to block vision it really sits just under my regular line of sight and gives me an unobstructed view of the road with only a little eye movement to see the GPS. Not my best install but I am happy with the result.

GeoffCee
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
I goofed whne I put the hole in the dash top where I did as it required the longer RAM arm to position it right for me. That made it bouncy so I kluged a little wedge of wood to stabilize it then used the handymans favorite duct tape to cover my kluge.

All is not lost, this unfortunate installation can be saved! As an expert in correcting stuff after I've screwed up, I would suggest starting again from scratch. Your incorrectly-positioned hole can be filled in and neatly hidden with a rubber blank, they usually sell them where they sell rubber grommets and cost very little money. When that is done you can make a new hole, but this time you should measure where to put it at least 3 times to make sure it's in the right place!

Most of the bounce you experienced the first time around came from having such a long arm, (to reach the hole you drilled in the wrong place :opps:). This time use a short 3" arm. When mounting the arm place a penny washer about 30 mm in diam both under and over the mounting hole. This will stiffen up the plastic nicely and take away any tendency for it to flex under the weight of the arm/sat-nav combination.

I hope you don't mind getting some well-intentioned, friendly British advice. :2thumbs:

CanAmMick
04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Took a lot of advise from the people that posted here and ended up tearing my Spyder apart and installing my Zumo 660 up high. It was a pain in the tail, but I am very happy with the outcome. Just wish I would have realized before I got it all back together that I had one screw left over. Oh well lesson learned, will find where it goes during my next mod......

CyncySpyder
04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
:thumbup: Job well done :thumbup:

GeoffCee
04-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Took a lot of advise from the people that posted here and ended up tearing my Spyder apart and installing my Zumo 660 up high. It was a pain in the tail, but I am very happy with the outcome.

Good job. Don't worry about the left over screw, the Spyder was designed to lose at least one at every stripdown. The RAM mount you've used has a good-sized footprint, I'm betting your satnav sits as steady as a rock. You might want to blacken those shiny mounting nuts though, when the light is right you will see those little suckers reflected in your windscreen. They only do it 'cos they enjoy being an irritation. :shocked: Not that I'm paranoid. :shocked:

kinggeek
04-13-2012, 12:12 AM

Just do it yourself. It is not difficult. I bought the Zumo 660 online from amazon and the BRP mount for the handlebars. The BRP instructions for installing the GPS mount are great so I did the install myself.

After nearly rear ending SEVERAL cars :gaah: because the GPS was SO FREAKING FAR OUT OF MY LINE OF SIGHT :banghead: I moved it up high after seeing CyncySpyders mounted on top. Took me about 2.5 hours to move it, it is installed EXACTLY the way BRP would do it using all the same wiring. The only difference is the position.

Piece of cake!

CyncySpyder
04-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Just do it yourself. It is not difficult, I did the install myself.After nearly rear ending SEVERAL cars :gaah: because the GPS was SO FREAKING FAR OUT OF MY LINE OF SIGHT :banghead: I moved it up high after seeing CyncySpyders mounted on top. Took me about 2.5 hours to move it, it is installed EXACTLY the way BRP would do it using all the same wiring. The only difference is the position.Piece of cake!

:agree: :agree:

BitSlayer
07-28-2012, 09:34 PM
OK, I know this thread has not been active for a bit, but wanted to ask a question. From what I have read, you have been able to use the BRP wiring harness to reroute from the handlebars up to the dash. There is enough slack in the BRP harness for that? Is there a preferred routing path? I also find it dangerous to have it low since you have to look so far down to see it. Also, sun reflection can be pretty bad in that position and when that occurs, it becomes useless...

SpydermanCT
07-29-2012, 05:43 AM
OK, I know this thread has not been active for a bit, but wanted to ask a question. From what I have read, you have been able to use the BRP wiring harness to reroute from the handlebars up to the dash. There is enough slack in the BRP harness for that? Is there a preferred routing path? I also find it dangerous to have it low since you have to look so far down to see it. Also, sun reflection can be pretty bad in that position and when that occurs, it becomes useless...

I did use the factory harness and had no problem at all mounting it up on top of the dash. I think I just pulled my harness up top by going behind the right headlight, there was plenty of wire and holes to get to where you need to.

Littlebadwolf
07-29-2012, 06:01 AM
So much for the factory mount for the Garmin...mine snapped in half yesterday while riding with other forum members...Was just riding along and pieces of the mount started flying all over the place and my GPS was free gliding at the end of the harness which thankfully hung on...Grrrr...and my helmet shield started sticking and wouldn't let me take the d_*m thing off my head...and yes..all the bolts were secured tightly..I check them before every ride. Not a pleasant day for me equipment wise but the Spyder ran great.

BitSlayer
07-29-2012, 02:17 PM
I did use the factory harness and had no problem at all mounting it up on top of the dash. I think I just pulled my harness up top by going behind the right headlight, there was plenty of wire and holes to get to where you need to.

Thanks, SpyderMan, that is what I was hoping to hear. How much of the tupperware did you have to take off to get the cable rerouted? Sorry if this is in this thread, but I looked and did not see it. Did you have to take off the side panel, front facia, windshield, windshield mount and the top of the dash? Don't mind doing it, but don't want to tear down too much if I don't have to...

This will be my first mod so I am trying to do my homework up front so I don't get any surprises :yikes: while I have it torn apart...

I agree with Cyncy, or is that Teddy :dontknow:, that the current location is a disaster waiting to happen. Too low and out of the safety zone for my line of site...

SpydermanCT
07-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks, SpyderMan, that is what I was hoping to hear. How much of the tupperware did you have to take off to get the cable rerouted? Sorry if this is in this thread, but I looked and did not see it. Did you have to take off the side panel, front facia, windshield, windshield mount and the top of the dash? Don't mind doing it, but don't want to tear down too much if I don't have to...

This will be my first mod so I am trying to do my homework up front so I don't get any surprises :yikes: while I have it torn apart...

I agree with Cyncy, or is that Teddy :dontknow:, that the current location is a disaster waiting to happen. Too low and out of the safety zone for my line of site...

Some more details here :

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?34118-RT-Garmin-Dash-Install

BitSlayer
07-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Perfect! That is what I was looking for. I will let you know how it goes. I ordered the Ram parts tonight. Hopefully this heat will let up a little to let me get out and do this. Outside, or in a garage, at 111 in Oklahoma is no fun. :(

Thanks again for digging that up.

BitSlayer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MtlBen
08-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Do not mean to highjack the thread, but added material here to make it easier for other forum users to find information in one location.

I just installed a Zumo 350 on a Spyder RT with A/C, heavily "inspired" from other user's experience and recommendations.

Here are my thoughts/advice if you consider doing the install: Note that I had never removed any tupperware before this.

It is worth it. IHMO beats hands down BRP's factory location. (I first did a test ride with temporary install close to the factory location)
Remove the body parts to have good access to your work area. Even though there is a long list of body parts to remove, they are all easy to remove if you follow the instructions. Don't let that discourage you. Just do it when you are not in a rush or don't have a deadline.
Get the shop manual. Do your search in the forum, there are many available. I paid $24 for mine and I am satisfied. It helped me a lot identifying what to remove and in which order.
Measure, measure, measure. Once you think you have found a location on the dashboard where you think the GPS base should go, check what's underneath. I used my kid's play-doh and squished it between the 2 pieces of the console to figure out how mush space I had for the lock nut and washer, and I found out it is pretty tight in many areas.
Find the exact location where you want it to be and do the drilling on a good work bench. You don't get a second chance.

After crosschecking with the electrical diagrams, I followed NancyToys advice on the power hookup http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?42602-GPS-Power-Source-Question.

Here are a few pics of the install. The original High-Res pics can be seen here: http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/Forums/Spyder-Forums/22362150_fb2wtC

Do yourself a favor: remove the body parts and get a good access to the working area:
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-jq43B7x/0/M/i-jq43B7x-M.jpg

Mark your location. Note that I ended up locating the mount further left (viewed from the driver's position) after I realized there was some obstruction below one of my planned screw location.
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-bZtg8CS/0/M/i-bZtg8CS-M.jpg

Look for obstruction and check the clearance under your planned location. (I used Play-Doh and measured clearance)
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-QLjX96b/0/M/i-QLjX96b-M.jpg

I used a square RAM mount plate with large washers underneath for increased stability. I also selected a short RAM connecting arm to reduce the chances of unit vibrating on harsh roads.
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-pDhc5vM/0/M/i-pDhc5vM-M.jpg
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-NLH55Wp/0/M/i-NLH55Wp-M.jpg
In my mount, one of the screws ended up a bit too close to the edge and it was a bit of a struggle to slide the console cover back into its location. Do not mount it any closer to the edge than I did.

I used power taps on the fuel gauge to get the power
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-Hdrn7xM/0/M/i-Hdrn7xM-M.jpg

Having removed the console cover gave me a good location to install the Gamin power module:
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-nWQkKhg/0/M/i-nWQkKhg-M.jpg

I attached the power cable to prevent it from being pulled out too far, but gave it enough loose to allow the GPS position to be adjusted. I only slotted the lower portion of the console to run the cable and did not touch the cover to make it less noticeable.
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-9rDdNNP/0/M/i-9rDdNNP-M.jpg
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-dxW3wBK/0/M/i-dxW3wBK-M.jpg

Pics of the final product:
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-jj2JqGc/0/M/i-jj2JqGc-M.jpg
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-BWZ8XwX/0/M/i-BWZ8XwX-M.jpg
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-7DjzTmz/0/M/i-7DjzTmz-M.jpg

http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-PJWKhRc/0/M/i-PJWKhRc-M.jpg

Mounted on the left, I found the GPS is easier to reach and it occupies an area that is already obstructed by the windshield mount so it could be a good option for shorter riders.
http://bchauvette.smugmug.com/photos/i-GLs4gSF/0/M/i-GLs4gSF-M.jpg

My first test ride showed that the overall mounting is very sturdy and very stable. You really have to look hard to see any vibration that does not follow the console itself, even on rough roads. I am extremely happy with the end results and I am glad I did it.

Tx to all other forum members who's posts helped me make this a successful install.

...Ben...

BitSlayer
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Great write-up. Thanks for all the pics as well. I received my Ram parts a couple of days ago, but still waiting for the heat to break here in OK before I tackle it.

2manycars
08-23-2012, 02:51 AM
I thought I had an original idea when I replaced the dash screw with a longer one in much the same manner Lamont did to attach a Ram mount. That location offers some glare protection due to the overhang of the top of the dash. For power I replaced the left hand gauge with the cover from the "basic" RT since I liked having the temp. and fuel better. I had the dealer install the BRP power plug (a cigarette lighter) in the cover rather than in the trunk. I removed the dash cover (4 bolts) and spliced into the lighter plug wires. The factory plug is only on when the RT power is on so I get the advantage of the unit power going. off when the engine does.

I am on the fence about a separate GPS unit. It looks like one of the pictures is of a Garmin ZUMO 350 LM. How do you like the unit. It seems expensive for a somewhat basic unit. The other unit I am considering the "older" 665. I already installed the XM unit in the glove box and ran the wires (antenna and audio) back to the rear trunk. I would use the already run cable for the 665 XM. The 665 is a cleaner option and it is only $100.00 more than the 350. I do like the size, ruggedness and newness(a newer model) of the 350.

My other concern about the 665 is the A2DP (?) bluetooth profile it uses. I have a Uclear intercom, and I know when I use my iphone with it, the GPS does not interrupt the intercom when talking to my wife since the intercom has a higher priority than the A2DP music profile the Iphone uses for GPS.

Does anyone have any experience with this combination of Uclear and 665, and does the GPS mute the intercom to give voice instruction? Uclear says the HF profile of the 350LM will interrupt the intercom to give instructions but is not sure how the 665 wil handle the intercom override I seek.

Either way I already have the Ram Mount issue resolved since I used the same screw replacement
method he used.

665 or 350LM? Opinions being solicited

Thanks

CyncySpyder
08-23-2012, 04:57 AM
[QUOTE=MtlBen;495648]Do not mean to highjack the thread, but added material here to make it easier for other forum users to find information in one location. I just installed a Zumo 350 on a Spyder RT with A/C, heavily "inspired" from other user's experience and recommendations.
Here are my thoughts/advice if you consider doing the install: Note that I had never removed any tupperware before this.[QUOTE=MtlBen;495648]

:2thumbs::yes: Another reason Teddy & I LOVE this Forum :yes::2thumbs:

:clap: People are always willing to help and share their experiences:clap:

MtlBen
08-26-2012, 11:46 PM
665 or 350LM? Opinions being solicited

As you saw in my post, I bought the 350LM. I have not used the 660/665 so I can't really compare.

The fact that the 350 does not link to a phone seemed like a step back at first, but while looking for an intercom I realized that the intercom itself will pair simultaneously to both the GPS and the phone, so there is no real need for the GPS to do it. The 350 is not an MP3 player either, but then again I already have an ipod in the trunk and I do not really use it, as I find the sound is just horrible on my RT.

I bought it hoping that their new "app" approach would add additional features in the future, and also hoping that the bluetooth interface get improved, as I read that it seems to have some limitations.

Although it is available for everyone to buy, the 660 series design seems to be more geared toward OEMs, allowing them to add a bluetooth option to their radio without having to design it themselves. This would explain why they have 2 models of different generations with almost identical feature set, and at similar price point: you probably can't just kill the OEM model without fullfilling your contractual commitments.

I found that the screen gets hard to read when riding towards the sun with a light colored jacket. (see the recent thread about that: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?43290-GPS-White-out)

The other annoyance I found is that the 350 will not sync with anything that does not have an hps bluetooth profile. If the device only has a2dp, it is a no-go. I am looking for a bluetooth adaptor that I can connect to the 3.5mm aux audio input in the trunk and tried 3 so far: only 1 would pair but had horrible audio.

As for the GPS itself, it does a very good job: I am very satisfied. You can plan either with Garmin Basecamp or HD Ride Planner and send the route straight to the GPS, then read back the track logs. But the 665 probably does that also.

...Ben...

Ride Master
10-31-2012, 02:16 PM

Any help will be appreciated greatly!!!

"I would never ride anything I built"

Mine did

BitSlayer
11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I love this site!!!

Thanks for all the feedback and pictures. I did get my Zumo move up to the top of the dash and man, what a difference it made. We just got back from a week long ride where we put on over 2500 miles. The new position was fantastic as it allowed me to view the navigation and still keep the road in sight.

Instead of removing the old mounting bracket in the middle of the handlebars, that became a new Ram mount point.

While I had the top of the dash off, I also added some Ram mounts to each side of the dash just above the speakers as discussed by Lamonster. Very nice to have those availalbe for use as well.

capt.jim
11-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I have the Madstad windshield on my 08 GS. The aluminum piece that replaces the factory windshield is very sturdy, I mounted the Zumo 660 on the underside with only the brackets that came in the box. I can raise it up high when needed or lower it down or to the side. Minimal vibration also.5733257333573345733557336

dizzyspots
07-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Ok...so I need to clarify the Zumo high mount option. i have a factory installed Zumo...on the handlebars
I have all the Ram mount parts to move it to the top of the dash
I have read the posts that say that I can use the BRP Zumo harness..and that it has enough reach.
My question is...what is the process to re-route the existing cable...after unbolting the cradle...can I wriggle the harness out from under stuff and get the cradle up to the top of the dash...
this weekend project, so Im ready for Spyders in the Redwoods....
Thanks in advance

Mike