PDA

View Full Version : XM Satellite

fastfraser
04-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi all

Just playing with my 2011 RTS Limited and really like the radio and how it sounds at all speeds , only problem is when you loose the station. So I thought I would add the XM .

My question is do I also need the entertainment harness or do I already have it with the radio ?

Thanks in advance for your replies .

I think I already know the answer because why would BRP miss an opportunity to get more money out of you !

SpyderRyderTV
04-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I believe you are going to need the entertainment harness, because it only comes with the CB installment package from the factory. I went to ebay and bought the harness for $82.00 and the XM radio for $320.00. Both are BRP. :ohyea:

Bob Denman
04-10-2011, 09:04 AM
I've been wondering about this too! I thought that the entertainment harness had more to do with headsets... Can anybody tell us why it's needed when you're only adding another reception band to the radio?
(Boy; is my ignorance showing or what??? :shocked:)

SpyderRyderTV
04-10-2011, 09:15 AM
The AM/FM only has the one plug and the amplifier for the sound system and when you want to use the CB/XM you need to be able to plug them in to the radio for amp. The cable provides more plugs. :coffee:

Bob Denman
04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks! :2thumbs: Maybe they should just bundle the harness in with these pieces so that everybody gets what they need in one package...:clap:

SpyderRyderTV
04-10-2011, 09:22 AM
But then that wouldn't be good capitalism - they need the money - more money. :roflblack:

TicketBait
04-10-2011, 09:27 AM
The XM radio install instructions makes no mention of the entertainment harness, however the entertainment harness install instructions mentions the harness connectors on left hand side of vehicle- 1. Passenger headsets audio output. 2. XM radio connector. 3. Connection to rear cargo harness But don't you need the CB communication center to have the music piped in your helmet? or are you planning on just listening through the external speakers?

qasamm
04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Probably not helpful for integration bit I have not been happier since I dumped my in-vehicle xm receiver and bow just use the web app. Works on my computers, phone, Internet radio w/o having to worry about receiver placement or portability.

Bob Denman
04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
:shocked:... and here I am still figuring out how to tune that dang radio! :dontknow:
I was thinking that maybe an XM or Sirius setup would let me use just ONE station...MUCH simpler! :thumbup:

fastfraser
04-21-2011, 04:41 AM
:agree:with Bob . I don't know if its me or what, but setting channels on the radio is a pain in the a$$.

SpyderAnn01
04-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Changing stations is a PITA part of it is the buttons aren't easy to use with gloves (like the turn signals) and the other part is the way it scans stations. When you scan it starts from a preset say 89.0 and goes up. Say you push the scan a couple of times and you are up to 100 then you pause for a few seconds the hit scan again. Instead of it starting to scan from 100 it goes back to 89 and you have to start all over again. In a car if you pause scanning it will stop where it is and hitting scan again will start from where you just stopped. :gaah:

Mr. White
04-21-2011, 07:46 AM
This is off the subject slightly, but I was having trouble getting stations on my BRP XM radio. This gentleman told me to go to "catagories" and then assign stations to that catagory. It worked and I wish to thank him....I forgot his handle and can not find his helpful post.

I set a few XM stations and then my finger started to hurt...

When I become King, I am going to have the designer of this "tuning" method program every RT XM radio BRP has sold in the last two years.

What a PITA!!

BRP made a mistake not buying a Gold Wing and copying their equipment manufactures, etc. and tuning processes. Easy!!

bullant12
04-21-2011, 07:59 AM
I thought about purchasing the XM radio for my RT, but since I have 2 vehicles, adding a 3rd one would jack up the :cus: price.

I instead use the XM (now SiriusXM) app on my iPhone. The only problem with this is that if I go where there is no 3G signal I lose music and I can only change stations if I pull over. I can use it via a bluetooth adapter and place my phone on my RAM mount in the handlebars to see who's playing, but still need to pull over to change stations.:sour:

Sopher
04-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Why on earth would anyone pay about $500 to add XM from BRP, when you can add it your self with an aftermarket XM radio like the Pioneer XMp3 unit?

($500 = $100 entertainment harness + $400 Xm module from BRP).

Other XM radios are available too. Just use the MP3 cable that plugs in the rear trunk.

Lamonster
04-22-2011, 03:59 AM
Why on earth would anyone pay about $500 to add XM from BRP, when you can add it your self with an aftermarket XM radio like the Pioneer XMp3 unit?

($500 = $100 entertainment harness + $400 Xm module from BRP).

Other XM radios are available too. Just use the MP3 cable that plugs in the rear trunk.

The main reason is the same as why you would use a iPod instead of another mp3 player, it's built in so you can change stations and not just adjust the volume. That and it's waterproof.

I agree the XM is a pain to adjust and I hope they change that in future RT's.

Mr. White
04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Why $500 XM radio? In 1995, when I bought my first Wing, I hung a lot of junk on it and it looked like I was in a circus parade. I took most of it off. When I bought my 2002 Wing, I put little on it, but did add a cheap XM radio, which worked great. It looked like it was "hung on" and when I decided to buy the RT, I thought I will have the dealer put the accessories on and not fool with it. (I am not a wrench and know my limitations)

After I ordered the RT, I went to the San Antonio motorcycle show. My dealer was there and insisted I ride the Spyder demos that BRP was sponsoring....they had about ten Spyders there and I rode the RT. AFTER I rode, she gave me a $500 gift certificate and said "I was not supposed to tell you about this, but here is your XM radio...ha ha"

This was better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick.

fastfraser
04-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Best deal on a XM that I've herd of .

dirtwoody
09-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Glad to see I am not the only one having difficulty using my XM. Frankly, I use my iPod most days, but last week we did a long ride with the iPod on the blink, so I was looking forward to using the XM.

I seem to only get one station and no-one seems to be able to tell me how to program/select others. Does anyone know which model of Sirius XM the BRP unit is? Then I could download the manual.

For those of you who have used your XM frequently, what is your experience with reception? On this trip we rode about 3000 miles around the Northwestern US. In cities the XM was ok, but once outside the city, in the mountains, along the coast, the signal constantly dropped. When the signal returned, the radio had returned itself to the base channel, not the one I was on? I don't know if this is an XM normal condition, an issue with my radio or an issue with XM in any Spyder RT.

Any info would be appreciated. I am close to cancelling my XM subscription. And write off the cost of the unit in my 2010 RT-S to experience.....

harrypottar
09-20-2012, 05:55 AM
One thing worth considering is upgrading the limited's GPS to the Zumo 665. I know the 2012's come with a 660 but don't know about the 2011's.

If you have the 660, the 665 should use the same mount, the 665 comes with the XM puck.

You then have the option to sell your Zumo 660 and get some money back. The 665 and puck can be moved between spyder and car mount. That way you get XM in what ever ride you mount the 665 with only one subscription. Plus you can add weather and traffic which you can not via the BRP unit.

I had the XM puck on my old Zumo 550 and moved them between car and bikes loved it. I wish the limited's came with the 665. I'm keeping my eye out for deal of the day's from amazon or best buy, if one goes on sale I will upgrade.

If you could find the BRP XM radio at the right price it would nice to have everything "built" in and running off the same interface. But the Zuno is a nice alternative.

Harry

aperkin
09-20-2012, 05:10 PM
One thing worth considering is upgrading the limited's GPS to the Zumo 665. I know the 2012's come with a 660 but don't know about the 2011's.

If you have the 660, the 665 should use the same mount, the 665 comes with the XM puck.

You then have the option to sell your Zumo 660 and get some money back. The 665 and puck can be moved between spyder and car mount. That way you get XM in what ever ride you mount the 665 with only one subscription. Plus you can add weather and traffic which you can not via the BRP unit.

I had the XM puck on my old Zumo 550 and moved them between car and bikes loved it. I wish the limited's came with the 665. I'm keeping my eye out for deal of the day's from amazon or best buy, if one goes on sale I will upgrade.

If you could find the BRP XM radio at the right price it would nice to have everything "built" in and running off the same interface. But the Zuno is a nice alternative.

Harry

For my upcoming Sypder RT Limited purchase I was planning on getting the CB & Communications kit and was waffling on the XM. Will the Zumo 665 integrate with this with navigation and XM radio both coming through the wired headsets?

harrypottar
09-20-2012, 07:04 PM
For my upcoming Sypder RT Limited purchase I was planning on getting the CB & Communications kit and was waffling on the XM. Will the Zumo 665 integrate with this with navigation and XM radio both coming through the wired headsets?

The Zumo GPS supplied with the RT limited is the 660 and is not capable of receiving XM radio, no xm puck port or software.

The zumo 665 comes with the XM puck but is not offered by BRP, you would have to buy it separately.

Integration with the CB and passenger communication kit, this is where it gets tricky.

The way BRP as the GPS harness wired the GPS as priority over EVERYTHING. If you're listening to the radio or ipod and GPS wants to give you a direction, that direction will take priority over the sound and the directions will be heard.

There is nothing magic about this, the system senses an audio signal from the GPS and allows the sound to take over. If you do upgrade to the 665 the system would just assume that you have directions all the time if the xm was playing. No issue with the radio or ipod as you're listening to the xm via GPS. But i'm not sure if you would hear the CB kick in.

Having the integrated BRP xm installed is properly the best option, the zumo 665 xm is another option that allows you to move it from vehicle to vehicle.

harry

epiphysis
09-20-2012, 10:12 PM
I called sirius/xm radio and inquired about their special......I got a basic xm radio for $7. plus I paid $50 for a $50 gift certificate.....and they threw in the mounts for the car which I am using on my Spyder.I set it to a station and set the Spyder radio to that station and I get wonderful reception for a few bucks......no fuss.....I have another motorcycle so I got the motor mount for that, too.....nice!!

aperkin
09-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Having the integrated BRP xm installed is properly the best option, the zumo 665 xm is another option that allows you to move it from vehicle to vehicle.

harry

Thanks for the feedback. Probably will stick with the BRP XM option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

coastrider
09-21-2012, 12:13 AM
I also wanted to upgrade to the Zumo 665 from the standard 660 However, while reading the Garmin website, I discovered that although the 660 and 665 mounts look identical, they aren't, and the 665 won't work on the RT's mount.

MarkLawson
09-21-2012, 07:56 AM
One of the first mods I did 2-1/2 years ago was to mount my Zumo 550 with XM on my RT. I mounted it in the center of the handlebars and the XM antenna/tuner on the clutch fluid reservoir lid. I ran a line from the audio out on the Zumo cradle to a female headphone jack I mounted in the rear trunk a couple of inches below the Aux In jack back there. Using the cable BRP gave me with the RT, I added a 90-degree adapter (shrink wrapped together) and plugged the two jacks together.

I now use my GPS, XM & built in MP3 player through the AUX input of the RT's stereo. Everything is right in front of me.

NancysToy
09-21-2012, 08:00 AM
I also wanted to upgrade to the Zumo 665 from the standard 660 However, while reading the Garmin website, I discovered that although the 660 and 665 mounts look identical, they aren't, and the 665 won't work on the RT's mount.

I believe it will if you change the cable.

2manycars
09-21-2012, 10:11 AM
I mounted a 665 so it is high up. I need to clean up the hole from behind the power plug where I spliced into it. I had the dealer remove the two additional gauges from my RT and install a voltmeter, and cigarette lighter plug(used the cover available from BRP) when I purchased it. I ran the wire up the right side and into the rear trunk and am using the aux. plug for sound (I may get the actual plug and use that at some point). I struggled with where to put the large XM antenna and decided to put it in the glove box-I had already torn up the insert when I initially installed an XM unit in there. Again, I may order a new insert so it looks neater. The reception is good for both XM and XM weather and traffic, and I can easily use the XM controls on the 665.536775367853679

Centaur546
04-19-2015, 09:50 PM
I'm new to the forum so please bear with me. I just got a BRP XM install on my 2014 RT. It plays just fine, but I have no idea how to program it. I can press the right button and it will go up to whatever number I stop at whether it's the one I want or not as it moves very fast. If I try to go backwards or forwards one or two numbers, it automatically goes back to channel 1 and I have to start all over again. I realize this isn't going to work the same as it does in my car, but this current method is not good. I've googled a bunch and this is the only forum that seems to have anyone talking about it ever, but the last post was over 2 years ago. And I can't seem to find a manual anywhere that talks about how to program this if it's even possible. Has anyone found a way to program this radio yet and if so, how?

Thanks

rays hell
04-20-2015, 08:07 PM
This is slightly off topic as it pertains to a non-BRP/Sirius conversion that I did.

I have a lifetime subscription to Sirius and I wanted to be able to use my SR-50 on the Spyder.
Here's what I did.
1. Mounted a conventional Sirius antenna on top of the rear luggage rack.
2. Treated the SR-50 as an AUX MP3 Player. This allows me to control the volume via the radio controls.
3. Installed a cheap IR repeater in the glovebox and rear trunk where the SR-50 lives. This enables me to change stations and settings with the remote control as the SR-50 gives audio feedback (It announces the channels, settings etc).

That's it.
I've only lost the signal on long bridges & tunnels.

I did pretty much the same thing with the exception of the remote. Mine stays on the same channel pretty much, and I just change it when I stop for gas if I feel the need.

PaladinLV
04-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Personally, if for music, I just don't get paying for XM.

My iPod has 8 days of music on it and the songs repeat a lot less often then any XM station.
Save the $$$ and possible headaches and get an iPod.
You'll always have your music the way you want it :)

No library, no problem. Connect Phone and run Pandora or equivalent. ;)

AJ

Centaur546
04-20-2015, 10:30 PM
Personally, if for music, I just don't get paying for XM.

My iPod has 8 days of music on it and the songs repeat a lot less often then any XM station.
Save the $$$ and possible headaches and get an iPod.
You'll always have your music the way you want it :)

No library, no problem. Connect Phone and run Pandora or equivalent. ;)

AJ

That doesn't solve my problem as I already bought and had the dealership install the XM. I've been an XM member for 5 years (have it in my car). I also can use the ipod portion of my iPhone which I've been doing. But I like some aspects of XM which is why I wanted it on the Spyder.

Centaur546
04-20-2015, 10:35 PM
I did pretty much the same thing with the exception of the remote. Mine stays on the same channel pretty much, and I just change it when I stop for gas if I feel the need.

That would be great if I had this SR-50 thing. However, I bought and had installed an XM from BRP so I can't do what y'all are talking about. The XM folks are no help because it isn't one of their radios. Trying to call BRP to see if they have a users manual since it's their variation of XM. I was just hoping someone had already gotten this figured out.

smay137
04-23-2015, 08:35 PM
My 2014 rtl came with quick reference booklet that covers command center and infotainment center. It shows am/fm radio,ipod,xm radio and cb.
I was able to store some preset numbers on the xm radio. Check your paperwork. I didn't know that I had it.

steve

Centaur546
04-24-2015, 05:18 PM
My 2014 rtl came with quick reference booklet that covers command center and infotainment center. It shows am/fm radio,ipod,xm radio and cb.
I was able to store some preset numbers on the xm radio. Check your paperwork. I didn't know that I had it.

steve

My booklet shows the same, but nothing for the XM. I called XM and BRP both of whom said they had no info and to contact the dealer. So the next non-rainy day that I don't have Granddad/Kid duty I'll go back to them so they can tell me they don't know or they do know how to program this thing.

How did you store numbers on your XM?

smay137
04-24-2015, 06:33 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106353&stc=1send me your email and I can send piture of the xm section .

smay137@yahoo.com

steve

Centaur546
04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
I have found the solution. Seems the dealership has access to a dealership only forum provided by BRP. So my guy did a look up and found the solution to the problem.

I asked them if it was okay to share the pages and they said yes, as long as I hid the link which I have done. Good luck folks. It's working like a champ for me.

PaladinLV
04-25-2015, 07:54 PM
So now the 64K question!
Why is this not in the Owners Manual - lol

Good info and although I do not have or plan an XM, saved for future reference! :bowdown:

AJ

I have found the solution. Seems the dealership has access to a dealership only forum provided by BRP. So my guy did a look up and found the solution to the problem.

I asked them if it was okay to share the pages and they said yes, as long as I hid the link which I have done. Good luck folks. It's working like a champ for me.

RUOUTHERE
04-25-2015, 08:25 PM

You are correct, the Garmin harness that comes with the RT although has the XM puck mating connector cable and will allow you to plug in the puck cable it will not work on that harness. I wanted to be able to swap my 665 from my Gold Wing to my RT to listen to XM, I purchased 665 harness from Garmin and swapped out harness assemblies, plugged in the puck and did a signal refresh. I can now move the 665 between bikes.

BUT, as mentioned above the 665 has priority over the intercom and CB Radio so I can not talk to my wife over the intercom or hear our friends talking to us on the CB with the XM radio playing. So when traveling with my wife or friends with CBs I use my iPod.

KatnDavid
04-26-2015, 08:41 PM
I'm new to the forum so please bear with me. I just got a BRP XM install on my 2014 RT. It plays just fine, but I have no idea how to program it. I can press the right button and it will go up to whatever number I stop at whether it's the one I want or not as it moves very fast. If I try to go backwards or forwards one or two numbers, it automatically goes back to channel 1 and I have to start all over again. I realize this isn't going to work the same as it does in my car, but this current method is not good. I've googled a bunch and this is the only forum that seems to have anyone talking about it ever, but the last post was over 2 years ago. And I can't seem to find a manual anywhere that talks about how to program this if it's even possible. Has anyone found a way to program this radio yet and if so, how?

Thanks
We are having the same problem have you found out anything?

smay137
04-27-2015, 10:09 AM
check post 36 and 37.

steve

Deanna777
04-27-2015, 10:42 AM

steveMy 2014RTS-SE6 came with the same quick reference booklet also, I agree check your paperwork. Deanna

harry1025
05-03-2017, 06:30 PM
ok I don't like the idea of paying money for every vehicle I own so in my second year of owning a spyder I am going to do the same with my bike as my car and big truck at work one radio radio dock in every vehicle am going to install a dock on the spyder with some mounts from ram same with my gps am looking at putting antenna on the trunck with a neat little device that will only allow the sat signal through set your sat on a channel then hit search on the stereo it will pick up the sat program that into presets all set you can also do this with your helmet set I have sena 20 anyway this is my plan will let you know how it works has worked on my other bikes :cheers:

donrokon
05-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Where does the main part of the xm radio unit from BRP mount? Could someone email me a copy of the installation instructions? To: donrokon@yahoo.com

johnny canuck
07-06-2017, 09:32 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106353&stc=1send me your email and I can send piture of the xm section .

smay137@yahoo.com

stevemm

canamjhb
07-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Three portable docking stations and one Sirius XM head. Move the head from vehicle to vehicle (I can only drive one at a time) and I have XM radio in all vehicles and pay only one subscription.