PDA

View Full Version : Ryding in the Rain

MOSpyderLady
04-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Tell me your experinces of ryding in the rain. I there anything I can put on the windshield and face mask to make the rain roll off to where I can see through?

BLUEZL600EFI
04-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Get yourself some gloves with a built in finger squeegee. I also think they sell ones that go over a gloved finger.

I would be careful about putting any Rain-X or something like that on a shield. Those plastics are very easily etched. Unless someone chimes in with something made for those plastics.

IWN2RYD
04-09-2011, 09:49 AM
How detailed are you looking for in the way of information? RS or RT or just in general?

We are still looking for a product that lives up to it's advertising for the face shield though. :doorag:

COOLMACHINE
04-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Hello MOSpyderLady,
If nothing else, you can always put regular car wax on your windshield/faceshield.

bud2061
04-09-2011, 10:29 AM
we use Nu Finish on all tupper wear and windshields, In fact only have
washed bike once in two years. try it, sold at wallmart . . . . . . . . .:2thumbs:

NancysToy
04-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Avoid Rain-X. It will work for you, but will eventually craze the windshield and faceshield. I have used it on both, but replacement of the parts is necessary in a year or two. Pledge will work, but it leaves a film that causes distracting "rainbows" and dark spots, when viewed with polarized glasses. Other waxes usually do the same thing. Anti-fog compounds like Cat Crap or any of the available anti-fog liquids help some, but are not as effective as the other products. Looking over the windshield works best. That can also help the wind keep your visor clear.

MOSpyderLady
04-09-2011, 10:36 AM
So does Nu Finish work the best?

max continuous
04-09-2011, 11:37 AM
We use 2 products for plastic windows on our helicopters. One is called Plexus and the other is called 2/10
Great water shedding properties and no film as Scotty mentioned.
Max

Mo Lee
04-09-2011, 11:40 AM
I find the faster you go the better the water rolls off.:roflblack::yes:

Bob Denman
04-09-2011, 11:51 AM
RT here... I've found that the bike itself does a fantstic job of channeling the water away from the ryder and passenger... just a little bit across the back of the shoulders was all we experienced... :thumbup:
I dropped the windshield so that I could look over it when the rain got a bit too heavy... It seemed to be shedding the rain pretty well under less "frisky" conditions... we use Meguier's quick detailer on it and the rest of the bike... :thumbup:

happyspyder2039
04-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I use Plexus- works nice but pricey

Lamonster
04-09-2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.rainmagic.com/

dancogan
04-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Tell me your experinces of ryding in the rain. I there anything I can put on the windshield and face mask to make the rain roll off to where I can see through?

I think that in rain, the wind is your friend. I haven't found anything that helps get rid of water from the faceshield better than wind off the windshield. I set my windshield height to allow the wind to hit the faceshield and occasionally I turn my head from side to side. That keeps the water rolling off.

SpyderWolf
04-09-2011, 09:33 PM

:agree:

It also helps to turn your head to the side every once in a while and let the wind force the rain off your face shield that way. There should be one very good spot where you can place your head and the water will roll straight off the face shield quickly. It will take some practice and patience, but you should be able to find it. Once you do you will not forget where it is. :D

Lamonster
04-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I was ordering some ride-on and found this on the site so I ordered a bottle. I'll let you know how it works.

SKU: All Kleer
All Kleer Cleaner and Polish (http://www.ride-onshop.com/product.cgi?product=748&group=747) ...Special Offer!
Promo / Redemption Code: lamonster

The Ultimate Plastic Windshield Cleaner & Polish for Motorcycles - No cyclists want to keep wiping their windshields, helmets or goggles to get rid of bugs and dirt. That's why All Kleer is the ideal solution for all riders, whether they own a Vespa or a Harley. All Kleer cleans fast and leaves a super-slick "miracle finish" that helps repel foreign substances. CLEANS - Dissolves grease, bug residue and other substances without water or abrasives ... fast! Simplifies motorcycle maintenance. POLISHES - Nothing sticks to the shine ... and improved vision. You can see and feel the difference! Repels Dust - Super-Slick finish doesn't allow dirt and dust to accumulate. Makes cleaning easier the next time! HELPS INHIBIT FOGGING - Unique finish inhibits fogging. Creates a zone of clear visibility! SAFE - No ammonia or abrasives. No water needed. CONVENIENT - Convenient 8 oz. bottle with no-leak top is perfect to carry onboard your motorcycle.
Approx Weight: 1 lb.
Price: $ 6.88 Qty: 1 Sub-Total:$ 6.8

johnnyg
04-10-2011, 06:56 PM
I've always used [ 210 Plastic cleaner/Polish ] look in the wing world magazine. I keep a clean damp cloth and a Plastic scrubbie in a zip lock bag to clean the buges and things off first then use the 210 with a dry soft towel. my windsheld looks brand new even after a year and 15000 miles on it. I've used this on my 83 Gw 99 Valkryie,2003 HD and now on my 2010 spyder I'll use nothing else. cj

bone crusher
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
The rain I've been in...wouldn't matter what you use...if you're in a serious thunderstorm, you need to have a good helmet that whisks away water...period...forget the squeegees, sponges, whatever...get a good helmet that you can leave a crack open for ventilation...

Oldmanzues
04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
The rain I've been in...wouldn't matter what you use...if you're in a serious thunderstorm, you need to have a good helmet that whisks away water...period...forget the squeegees, sponges, whatever...get a good helmet that you can leave a crack open for ventilation...
:agree:Play with the windshield height as well. 60 miles yesterday in a downpour so bad, a bikes tailight could not be seen a hundred feet away. PGR Mission or I would have stopped.
Old Manzues

bone crusher
04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
:agree:Play with the windshield height as well. 60 miles yesterday in a downpour so bad, a bikes tailight could not be seen a hundred feet away. PGR Mission or I would have stopped.
Old Manzues

Yeah, my one hour ride to my dealership was over 1.5 hours home when I was caught in a crazy series of thunderstorms...mind you, this was going over the Bay Bridge in Md as well...non-stop heavy wind, lightning, thunder, crazy rain, etc...I got soaked but the bike made it okay...

So many cars on the side of the road waiting it out. When I got home, my wife wasn't too happy with me! She asked if I was worried about getting pulled over by the police for riding in such dangerous conditions...I told her there was NO way any police officer would've gotten out of his/her car...

This was the worst weather I've ever been in on the bike(along with the 50+ mph winds I had one time back and forth from the dealer too)....

There's no way to really ride in heavy rain and not get soaked...I didn't care about getting wet...I worried about my vision and control of the bike...my helmet worked really well...the traction on the bike was great...I was very impressed...

boborgera
04-10-2011, 07:43 PM

:agree:Also i never look though a shield i always look over, What with looking though eye glasses and a helmet shield looking though two pieces of plastic is more than enough.

vt228
04-10-2011, 08:16 PM
:ohyea:Rain magic is what I use on helmet and windscreen:ohyea:

dltang
04-10-2011, 08:59 PM
I was ordering some ride-on and found this on the site so I ordered a bottle. I'll let you know how it works.

All Kleer Cleaner and Polish (http://www.ride-onshop.com/product.cgi?product=748&group=747) ...Special Offer!

The Ultimate Plastic Windshield Cleaner & Polish for Motorcycles - No cyclists want to keep wiping their windshields, helmets or goggles to get rid of bugs and dirt. That's why All Kleer is the ideal solution for all riders, whether they own a Vespa or a Harley. All Kleer cleans fast and leaves a super-slick "miracle finish" that helps repel foreign substances. CLEANS - Dissolves grease, bug residue and other substances without water or abrasives ... fast! Simplifies motorcycle maintenance. POLISHES - Nothing sticks to the shine ... and improved vision. You can see and feel the difference! Repels Dust - Super-Slick finish doesn't allow dirt and dust to accumulate. Makes cleaning easier the next time! HELPS INHIBIT FOGGING - Unique finish inhibits fogging. Creates a zone of clear visibility! SAFE - No ammonia or abrasives. No water needed. CONVENIENT - Convenient 8 oz. bottle with no-leak top is perfect to carry onboard your motorcycle.
Approx Weight: 1 lb.
Price: $ 6.88 Qty: 1 Sub-Total:$ 6.8
I read this 10 minutes too late. I just ordered Ride On for Brian and me so we would have it before out ride to Cuba.

bone crusher
04-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I read this 10 minutes too late. I just ordered Ride On for Brian and me so we would have it before out ride to Cuba.

Deb,

The shipping is more than the product...no point in spending like $17.00 for this...I'll stick with Rain-X...works great and can get anywhere...

dltang
04-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Deb,

The shipping is more than the product...no point in spending like $17.00 for this...I'll stick with Rain-X...works great and can get anywhere...

Yeah but I was already getting an order so it would not have been shipping on just one thing, it would have been part of the whole order.

bone crusher
04-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Yeah but I was already getting an order so it would not have been shipping on just one thing, it would have been part of the whole order.

Gotcha...that makes sense then.

Lemme know how it works in comparison to Rain-X...I used to use Fog-X on the inside of the visor and Rain-X on the outside, but I found that Rain-X works just fine on both sides...it really does make a big difference when you're caught in the rain...

NancysToy
04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Gotcha...that makes sense then.

Lemme know how it works in comparison to Rain-X...I used to use Fog-X on the inside of the visor and Rain-X on the outside, but I found that Rain-X works just fine on both sides...it really does make a big difference when you're caught in the rain...
Rain-X will kill your visor (or windshield) in time. I use it on visors, too, but they have to be replaced every couple of years.

SpyderWolf
04-10-2011, 09:26 PM

Sounds like this might just be the ticket. I will be looking forward to your report on it. :thumbup:

WackyDan
04-10-2011, 09:45 PM
I use nothing but my shield and rain gear. If you start out every ride with a freshly cleaned visor, you'll find the rain should roll off with enough speed.

I've ridden in 2 or 3 torrential downpours with high wind, and I haven't had too many problems seeing... I crack my visor just a hair to stop the fogging, and I'm good to go. If I need to get water off I just raise my head above the shield (CHAD) and that works fine too.

The Spyder is amazing in the rain.

bone crusher
04-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Rain-X will kill your visor (or windshield) in time. I use it on visors, too, but they have to be replaced every couple of years.

Really? Is there any proof of this? I've been using it for a couple of years and haven't had a problem...is there something that dissolves the plastic or something? It's supposed to be safe...

I know some helmets have a coating this is not supposed to be touched, rubbed, etc...

I didn't worry about that as the Rain-X provided far better water movement off the visor.

In addition, my helmet has a drop down sun shield that is internal...so it gets nothing on it, be it Rain-X or water...

My visor is still going strong, as far as I can tell...

NancysToy
04-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Really? Is there any proof of this? I've been using it for a couple of years and haven't had a problem...is there something that dissolves the plastic or something? It's supposed to be safe...

I know some helmets have a coating this is not supposed to be touched, rubbed, etc...

I didn't worry about that as the Rain-X provided far better water movement off the visor.

In addition, my helmet has a drop down sun shield that is internal...so it gets nothing on it, be it Rain-X or water...

My visor is still going strong, as far as I can tell...
You have been fortunate. If you want proof, I suppose I could send you the receipts for dozens of visors that I have replaced over the years. :D I have also had to remove and polish at least a dozen windshields over in the several decades. The CHP used Rain-X on their machines, and had a regular maintenance schedule for polishing and repairing the windshields. Trust me when I tell you that they do craze. Rain-X itself warns against use on plastics, as do some of the windshield manufacturers. I still use Rain-X, but I want users to understand that there are eventual consequences. When those will kick in, is variable, depending on frequency of use, weather conditions, the strength of the sun in your area, and so forth, but eventually the product will hasten the natural deterioration of the plastic. :D

tatt2r
04-11-2011, 07:23 AM

:agree::agree::agree:
rode over 1500 miles in the rain ...full face helmet ...no windshield ... not fun but it works for me ....:coffee:

wukka
04-11-2011, 07:32 AM
How detailed are you looking for in the way of information? RS or RT or just in general?

We are still looking for a product that lives up to it's advertising for the face shield though. :doorag:

I have found that a product called RAINCOAT workss extremely well as a water repellent on helmet visors.

Info at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/raincoat-water-repellent/

fleegeds
04-11-2011, 08:23 AM
I think this is in the same vain but what do you use for fog on you glasses? I have a Shoie rf100 Full face helmet and eyeglasses. I have fog both on my glasses and shield any time the temp is below 50 and and I stop for a light. I know, I know don't stop for the light :roflblack: but I still do some times.

sorry if this is a hi-jack not trying to. Thank you for any help.

boborgera
04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
I think this is in the same vain but what do you use for fog on you glasses? I have a Shoie rf100 Full face helmet and eyeglasses. I have fog both on my glasses and shield any time the temp is below 50 and and I stop for a light. I know, I know don't stop for the light :roflblack: but I still do some times.

I have the same, I just flip my helmet visor up a little plus i always leave the helmet vents open even in the winter.

NancysToy
04-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Very common problem. I have tried anti-fog compounds that are safe for polycarbonate lenses, but they are only marginally helpful. As was said, cracking the shield, or flipping it up when you stop, helps. You are going to laugh, but I actually hold my breath at stop lights in real cold weather. Exhaling slowly and downward can help some, but holding my breath often is the only good solution. In real cold weather I ride without my glasses. I can't read the gauges, but I can see the farther away stuff fine. Some helmets have close-fitting winter breath-guards available, but they are a real pain to use.

FANG
04-11-2011, 01:51 PM
:agree:

It also helps to turn your head to the side every once in a while and let the wind force the rain off your face shield that way. There should be one very good spot where you can place your head and the water will roll straight off the face shield quickly. It will take some practice and patience, but you should be able to find it. Once you do you will not forget where it is. :D

:agree: :2thumbs:

Raptor
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
For me, Raincoat on the outsied of the visor works well for shedding water. I switched to this after ruining the first visor with the Rain-X. For the inside of the visor Scott Anti-Fog and Cleaner works pretty good. But the Scorpion EXO Ever-Clear visor is awsome. Unlike my other helmets, with this you need not put anything on and by just cracking the visor you are good to go. One of the many reasons why I love the EXO-1000 lid!

bone crusher
04-12-2011, 02:53 AM
You have been fortunate. If you want proof, I suppose I could send you the receipts for dozens of visors that I have replaced over the years. :D I have also had to remove and polish at least a dozen windshields over in the several decades. The CHP used Rain-X on their machines, and had a regular maintenance schedule for polishing and repairing the windshields. Trust me when I tell you that they do craze. Rain-X itself warns against use on plastics, as do some of the windshield manufacturers. I still use Rain-X, but I want users to understand that there are eventual consequences. When those will kick in, is variable, depending on frequency of use, weather conditions, the strength of the sun in your area, and so forth, but eventually the product will hasten the natural deterioration of the plastic. :D

Scotty, in your case, it's not the Rain-X...it's simply the massive amount of miles on the road at such extreme speeds...just rips the molecular makeup of the plastic apart! :D

bone crusher
04-12-2011, 03:00 AM
I have found that a product called RAINCOAT workss extremely well as a water repellent on helmet visors.

Info at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/visors/raincoat-water-repellent/

This product says it only lasts for days...do you have to keep applying it? I'm lookin' for something that can be applied every month or two, at most...

fleegeds
04-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Very common problem. I have tried anti-fog compounds that are safe for polycarbonate lenses, but they are only marginally helpful. As was said, cracking the shield, or flipping it up when you stop, helps. You are going to laugh, but I actually hold my breath at stop lights in real cold weather. Exhaling slowly and downward can help some, but holding my breath often is the only good solution. In real cold weather I ride without my glasses. I can't read the gauges, but I can see the farther away stuff fine. Some helmets have close-fitting winter breath-guards available, but they are a real pain to use.

:agree: I actually hold my breath as well I guess I was hopeful for a breathing solution. I have tried the anti fog in the bike shop but that just does not work that well. thank you for the tips.
:2thumbs:

Trickie Dick
04-12-2011, 07:29 AM
This product says it only lasts for days...do you have to keep applying it? I'm lookin' for something that can be applied every month or two, at most...
This is supposed to be the best... but only available on for certain helmets.
Pinlock http://pinlockusa.net/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/

NancysToy
04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
This is supposed to be the best... but only available on for certain helmets.
Pinlock http://pinlockusa.net/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/anti-fog-visor/
Pinlocks work great, but they do cut in to your line of vision, for most models. The Fog City inserts also work very well.

Bob Denman
04-12-2011, 09:51 AM
:agree: I actually hold my breath as well I guess I was hopeful for a breathing solution. :2thumbs:
Gee... Maybe a snorkle would help! :D:ohyea::roflblack::yes:

fleegeds
04-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Gee... Maybe a snorkle would help! :D:ohyea::roflblack::yes:
:roflblack: