PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors on my RS-S

fleegeds
04-05-2011, 10:01 AM
I parked my RS-S in the motorcycle parking spot and I think some one bumped my mirror. The mirror on the left is now loose and it moves as I drive. I tightened it as much as I could and it is still moving. This is un-safe so I mentioned it to the dealer and they asked if I had taken it off. I said no and they said people usually complain after taking them off and putting them back on. I noticed that the swing arm of the mirror is directly touching the screw and so I am thinking of putting a crush washer under the screw. has any one else had this problem? how did you fix it? :helpsmilie:

wyliec
04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
I parked my RS-S in the motorcycle parking spot and I think some one bumped my mirror. The mirror on the left is now loose and it moves as I drive. I tightened it as much as I could and it is still moving. This is un-safe so I mentioned it to the dealer and they asked if I had taken it off. I said no and they said people usually complain after taking them off and putting them back on. I noticed that the swing arm of the mirror is directly touching the screw and so I am thinking of putting a crush washer under the screw. has any one else had this problem? how did you fix it? :helpsmilie:

I believe your dealer is referring to the fact that when the mirrors are removed (for example when installing extensions) that the locking nubs and locking slots have to be lined up. If they are not lined up, you will have play.

If you try to tighten too much when the nubs are not lined up with the slots, the nubs can be damaged. If they are damaged, then you would have to try a lockwasher.

It isn't that easy to line up the nubs and slots; at least it wasn't for me. I do have extensions and so far so good. Keep in mind that you don't have to have extensions to have these nubs and slots; they are on the stock mirror connections.

fleegeds
04-05-2011, 01:36 PM
could bumping the mirror damage the "nub" I am not noticing that the mirror is stopping in a position.

wyliec
04-05-2011, 01:52 PM
could bumping the mirror damage the "nub" I am not noticing that the mirror is stopping in a position.

I doubt just a bump would damage the nub; but, a bump could cause the nub to come out of the slot, if it wasn't very tight to begin with.

You are not going to feel much of a stop even when you have the nubs and slots lined up. Take a look at the mirror that doesn't move. Look from the backside vs from the front of the spyder and notice there is a small space between the piece that attaches to the dash assy. and the mirror stalk. I'd use a finger tip to check the spacing on the side that stays put and then compare to the side that moves; try making your adjustment that way.

fleegeds
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
thank you I will try that next. I think I will have to get the washer any way because if the nub was good I tightened it and now it is not staying. :dontknow::opps:

Texmac1011
04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
I ground the nubs off, put crush washers in and angled the mirrors out a bit more. This has worked fine for me for about a year.

happyspyder2039
04-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I had to use a socket wrench to get the screws tight enough. Kept loosing the little plastic filler covers. those help keep the mirror from flopping forward.

wyliec
04-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I had to use a socket wrench to get the screws tight enough. Kept loosing the little plastic filler covers. those help keep the mirror from flopping forward.

I never replaced my plastic filler covers after installing ESI's up and outs and I haven't had any trouble. Unless we are not talking the same thing.

KipDM
05-26-2011, 12:10 AM
i too have a problem with a loose mirror. i adjusted it a few times (since i felt no "lock" into place). the right will come in during hiway speeds (or anything above 50MPH) but the left stays fine.

i have tried a locking washer but have not been able to find one i can fit between my extenders and the mirror assembly.

anyone have a listing for a part number/store that has crush washers (or lock washers) small enough to fit?

any help appreciated and thanks in advance!

(oh, and YES! a bump can move the mirror enough to sheer - at least partly- one of those small nubs)

freebob
05-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Could have been bumped harder than you realize and they might have tried to straighten it up and made it worst.....:gaah:

Freebob...:doorag: