PDA

View Full Version : Custom Seat...

febail
04-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I am looking for a custom made seat for my 2008 GS Spyder.
I am looking at Russell Day-Long:
http://www.day-long.com/gallery_Specialty_Bikes.html
or Bill Mayer: http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Home.html
Anyone out there have a custom made seat?
I've only had the bike less than 2 months put 2,000 miles on it and the smile is still there... But my ass is another story.
I am just looking for some insight from you more seasoned Spyder Lovers!
Thanks in advance for your help...
Frank

Rando
04-05-2011, 04:45 AM
http://kontourseat.com/

Texmac1011
04-05-2011, 05:24 AM
I've been very satisfied with the BRP Comfort Seat. I just couldn't spend the bucks for the Corbin or Russell. There are many opinions on this topic in the forum.

NancysToy
04-05-2011, 05:52 AM
We don't have one on a Spyder, but I have owned Russell Day-Long seats in the past. There is nothing better, IMO. Bill Mayer seats have a great rep with the BMW crowd, too. Dltang and BJT both have Russell seats on their Spyders, both are custom fit to their needs, and they love them. There are other choices, of course. Kontour, Ultimate, Corbin, and the BRP Contour Seat. Seats are a very relative thing, though, so it pays to do your homework, and try on a few if you can attend a Spyder event. Most owners are very willing to let you sit on theirs, if you ask.

DougB
04-05-2011, 06:26 AM
I have had 2 Day Long seats in the past. One of which replaced a Corbin. I'm currently using a Corbin on my RT only because I could get it w/o sending in my stock seat. This week I'll be ordering a Day Long to replace the Corbin. IMO a Day Long is the best! The Corbin will be 4 sale by July.

dltang
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
We don't have one on a Spyder, but I have owned Russell Day-Long seats in the past. There is nothing better, IMO. Bill Mayer seats have a great rep with the BMW crowd, too. Dltang and BJT both have Russell seats on their Spyders, both are custom fit to their needs, and they love them. There are other choices, of course. Kontour, Ultimate, Corbin, and the BRP Contour Seat. Seats are a very relative thing, though, so it pays to do your homework, and try on a few if you can attend a Spyder event. Most owners are very willing to let you sit on theirs, if you ask.

As Scotty said, my husband and I have the Russell Day Long seats and they are fantastic. It has made a huge difference in the comfort of our long haul riding. They were worth every penny.

Sunshyn
04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
My 2008 Spyder SE 5 has a Day-Long Seat on it. The previous owner took the stock off, sent it to CA so the new one could be made. I only sat on a stock seat one time when I went to Fort Walton Beach Power Sports to check out the new Spyders prior to purchasing a used one. I hated the stock seat. I just like COMFORT and the Day-Long fits the bill for me. Enjoy the ryde! Sandy

Trickie Dick
04-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Russell-Day Long:firstplace::thumbup:

retread
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
:agree:Russell Day Long, if you can wait till fall, they have a "group buy"; if they get more than fifty orders, everybody gets a 20% discount. And they fit the seat to you.

john

febail
04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Today I purchased a stock seat on eBay for $31.00 (+ 21.00 to ship it, Oh lucky me), so I would have something to use as a pan for whoever I get to make my custom. I read that Russell bought the rights to the Day-Long from Bill Mayers and Bill Mayers is about an hour away from me so I think I'll start there.
I'll have to wait till I get the spare seat and put on some risers anyway. Do many of you agree that being hunched over all day is a pain?
Thanks again for all the help and hope to see some of your at Berts this weekend.
Frank