PDA

View Full Version : RT-S without front fenders!!!

SilverFox1
04-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi there Spyderlovers! Could anyone tell me exactly how wide a 2011 RT-S Limited Edition would be without the two front fenders? Also, how hard are they two take off and reinstall? I will be trailering my new ryde home. I have access to more than one enclosed trailers but they just have the 62 inch wide back door (clearance). I know,,, I know,,, ryding it home would be the ultimate and simplest solution (and more fun of course) but, it is really not possible at this time since we are still in the dead of winter up here in Northern Ontario. On top of that it would'nt be practical since I would be driving 650 kl to take it home and then have to go back right away 650 kl for my first checkup and oil change. I will trailer it here, drive around about 450 kl and then drive it back there for servicing. My plan is to bring back an RT622 matching trailer. Sounds like a good plan don't you think??

PS It's not the cold that bothers me,,, it's the salt, the sand and of course the black ice patches that I don't like to contend with!

SilverFox :2excited:

DougB
04-01-2011, 05:04 PM
You need a minimum of 6 feet... 72 inches

Marker
04-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi there Spyderlovers! Could anyone tell me exactly how wide a 2011 RT-S Limited Edition would be without the two front fenders? Also, how hard are they two take off and reinstall? I will be trailering my new ryde home. I have access to more than one enclosed trailers but they just have the 62 inch wide back door (clearance). I know,,, I know,,, ryding it home would be the ultimate and simplest solution (and more fun of course) but, it is really not possible at this time since we are still in the dead of winter up here in Northern Ontario. On top of that it would'nt be practical since I would be driving 650 kl to take it home and then have to go back right away 650 kl for my first checkup and oil change. I will trailer it here, drive around about 450 kl and then drive it back there for servicing. My plan is to bring back an RT622 matching trailer. Sounds like a good plan don't you think??

PS It's not the cold that bothers me,,, it's the salt, the sand and of course the black ice patches that I don't like to contend with!

:congrats: Silverfox, I wpould not want to drive it home either in the salt ice etc. Could you ask the dealer to leave the fenders off for you and show you how to put them back on once you arrive at home., that way you only have to put them on once.

SilverFox1
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
That is a great idea Marker and I will do that. Thanks! However I still need to know the width without the fenders to see which trailer I'm taking down there.

SilverFox

SilverFox1
04-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi Doug B! The inside of the trailer is more than 72 inches it's 84in (7ft) but the door opening is only 62 (actualy 61 3/4in). 62in is the exact width of the RT-S. That's why I'm looking for the width of the Spyder without the two fenders. Thanks for your response!

SilverFox

boborgera
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Doug B! The inside of the trailer is more than 72 inches it's 84in (7ft) but the door opening is only 62 (actualy 61 3/4in). 62in is the exact width of the RT-S. That's why I'm looking for the width of the Spyder without the two fenders. Thanks for your response!

SilverFox

:dontknow:
Don't know about the RT-s wheels, But if there any thing like my GS, the wheels actually stick out further than the fenders.:shocked:

frank3
04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Just did a measurment. looks like you MIGHT squeeze by with 61.5 inches without the fenders. Fenders are not at all hard to remove. Four bolts for each and up plug the electrical at each fender. Good Luck.

Marker
04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
That is a great idea Marker and I will do that. Thanks! However I still need to know the width without the fenders to see which trailer I'm taking down there.

SilverFox

Sorry did not read your post correctly:opps::opps: In my 2011 Brochure list overall width as 61.9" hope this helps :thumbup: but I do not know width minus the fenders.

dave01
04-01-2011, 06:05 PM
61 inches outside of tire to outside of tire, give or take a quarter of an inch

fastfraser
04-01-2011, 06:54 PM
:congrats: and good luck getting it home.

Man I would beg borrow or steal a different trailer . You are are 1/2 inch of doing hundreds of dollars worth of damage ! You might drive it in all right but when you back it out it will be a different story .

spyryder
04-01-2011, 07:20 PM
If it just barely fits you could put some type of protection at the opening, some cardboard or towels possibly? And some masking tape on the fenders or rims for extra insurance.;)
Oh, you could also put some sort of guide strips on the floor (nail some 2x2's?) to keep the machine centered at the entrance.

SilverFox1
04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all your advice everybody. I think maybe I'm simply gonna use Vaseline and sqeeze it in there. :roflblack: Actualy I think as Fastfraser mentioned getting it out could be a different story altogether. I know for a fact that most ATVs front ends take on a different width when you shove them in reverse. Not sure what it's called camber or canter, whatever. I think the solution will be my flat bed low profile open trailer and simply shrinkwrap the thing until I can't see the colour anymore. I have a good stock of shrinkwrap material left over from my trucking days. Thanks a lot everyone!!!

SilverFox

Justin
04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
When we bought our 3 spyders, Loiselles told us not to bother to bring them in till 3000km's.

Bob Denman
04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Don't you have a doorjam stretcher for just this kind of problem?? :roflblack:
nojoke That's gonna be AWFUL close....

SpyderRyderTV
04-03-2011, 12:25 PM
When I was taking and gathering dimensions for the :spyder2: I obtain the front wheelbase width as 62" from the spec's and that did not include the outside fender width. I think it is 66" from outside fender to outside fender. It is those little things like "measure once cut twice" :roflblack: hope everything works out.

Bob Denman
04-04-2011, 07:09 AM
...and there's no easy way to turn a :spyder2: into a :f_spider: for just the trip home... I was hoping that RS wheels might make a difference, but you'd need a good friend who wouldn't mind his :spyder:sitting on blocks for a day... :shocked:

SilverFox1
04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen Spyderlovers!!! Thank you all very much for your concern and interest in my "Spyder Hauling Problem". At this point in time I am convinced that some of you were about to offer to give me a hand to load the beast! Spyderlovers.com is truly like a big family no matter from what part of North-America you are from. Thank you all very much! The problem is solved. Listen to this,,, the dealer offered to deliver my steed all the way here, (roughly 600 kl one way) whenever I'm ready, no charge! Now That's an offer I can't refuse. Now that's something we do amongst brothers. When my wife and I left the dealership on Saturday evening we could hardly believe what happened. We all got kissed on the cheeks and hugs and hand shakes from just about every body that works in that place. Then I asked him "What time do you close?" He replied "Oh about an hour ago". What a good feeling. Man I'd like to work in a place like that!!! :2thumbs:

PS Justin, I was told the same thing, but off the records! I already bought the "RT Workshop Manual" so Loiselle knows I'm serious about keeping it in top running shape. I have always done my own maintenance and repairs on all my toys.

Justin
04-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen Spyderlovers!!! Thank you all very much for your concern and interest in my "Spyder Hauling Problem". At this point in time I am convinced that some of you were about to offer to give me a hand to load the beast! Spyderlovers.com is truly like a big family no matter from what part of North-America you are from. Thank you all very much! The problem is solved. Listen to this,,, the dealer offered to deliver my steed all the way here, (roughly 600 kl one way) whenever I'm ready, no charge! Now That's an offer I can't refuse. Now that's something we do amongst brothers. When my wife and I left the dealership on Saturday evening we could hardly believe what happened. We all got kissed on the cheeks and hugs and hand shakes from just about every body that works in that place. Then I asked him "What time do you close?" He replied "Oh about an hour ago". What a good feeling. Man I'd like to work in a place like that!!! :2thumbs:

PS Justin, I was told the same thing, but off the records! I already bought the "RT Workshop Manual" so Loiselle knows I'm serious about keeping it in top running shape. I have always done my own maintenance and repairs on all my toys.

I was going to tell you they'd probably deliver it. Customer service is second to none. They go the extra mile. There was a guy that went on an atv trip up north. When he got there he realized he forgot his key for his bike. Loiselles made him a key and drove it to him so he wouldn't wreck his weekend. Says a lot. Definately a family atmosphere.

I needed oil one weekend and couldn't make it there on Saturday. So they hid me a bunch of oil and told me to hop the fence and go get it on Sunday.

SilverFox1
04-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Justin, you are absolutely correct in every respect. In my case, when all this is said, done and delivered, all the mileage will be forgotten about. What I mean by this is that I will be travelling to Ottawa every other week or so. You see my son lives in Ottawa and this is one of the reasons why we are buying a Spyder to begin with. There we have a place to stay or a base camp if you want to call it that. Who knows, I'm sure there will be times when we will take the long way around. Toronto, Cornwall, Montreal! After all,,, keep this in mind, when you ryde just to ryde, it does'nt matter how long it takes you to get there. Plus, remember that all the roads in North-America lead to your driveway do they not? :chat:

fastfraser
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
:2thumbs: Heres to another great dealer. Man O Man what a great dealer to go out of his way for you.

Raptor
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
After all, keep this in mind, when you ryde just to ryde, it does'nt matter how long it takes you to get there. Plus, remember that all the roads in North-America lead to your driveway do they not? :chat:

Well said Silver Fox1! Congrats and enjoy your RT! :2thumbs: It is great that you have a good dealer on your side that will be there for you should anything ever come up that requires warranty attention. I think this is a very important piece to the Spyder experience.

Bob Denman
04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Great dealership! :congrats: It looks as if you might want to consider mowing his lawn for the next several summers! :D