PDA

View Full Version : Front wheels stiff ?

Spyderjohn
03-31-2011, 07:52 PM
I raised my RTS in trying out my new ATV lift and I find the front wheels stiff to turn. I am comparing this to an automobile wheel. No wonder the gas mileage sucks. It cannot be bad bearings as it only has 3,000 KM. Does anyone know how freely they should rotate? Im guessing the bearings are too tight, maybe still too new?
Is there a repair manual available? (BRP or Chiltons)

IWN2RYD
03-31-2011, 08:03 PM
I raised my RTS in trying out my new ATV lift and I find the front wheels stiff to turn. I am comparing this to an automobile wheel. No wonder the gas mileage sucks. It cannot be bad bearings as it only has 3,000 KM. Does anyone know how freely they should rotate? Im guessing the bearings are too tight, maybe still too new?

Man am I sorry I cannot help you like I would like to. In the middle of moving and all my manuals are in boxes. One thing I can say for certain is that is 100% not normal. The front wheels should spin fairly freely. Yes a little drag because of the disc brakes.. But all of the ones I have seen spin very easy.

Might be the bearing nut was torqued down to tight. Or the Disc brake/caliper has an adjustment or tweak needed... :opps:

Heck you might even have an out of round disc....

boborgera
03-31-2011, 09:26 PM

Just a shot in the dark here, Could your lift be crimping a brake line.:dontknow:

M2Wild
03-31-2011, 09:45 PM
should definitely turn easier than an auto wheel. Better bring it to the dealer and let them at it.

spyryder
03-31-2011, 09:55 PM
What's it like when you're riding and coasting? Or pushing? It should be pretty easy to push with one hand, but there will likely be a bit of resistance from the brake pads. I'm pretty sure the wheel bearings are sealed units so no adjustment there.

Spyderjohn
04-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the input.
I am going to start with the bearing nut.

strats
04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Manual says 65N.M (122lbf.ft) for the front bearing nut.

FYI, manual purchased and downloaded from Ebay.

draboo
04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
I m gonna check this out. My RT doesn't roll when I let off the brake on the same inclines that my RS did roll. I noticed this last night. Where I park, there is an incline and when I would let of the ebrake on the RS, it would immediately start rolling back. Not so with the RT. At first I thought it might be a brake pad hanging up. Then I backed out and when I hit the brake, I got the dreaded "schoolbus" noise that Smiley used to talk about!

Someone mentioned the wheelbearing nut torque. Do you know if the wheel is supposed to be off the ground when you check it? Does it matter?

NancysToy
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
I m gonna check this out. My RT doesn't roll when I let off the brake on the same inclines that my RS did roll. I noticed this last night. Where I park, there is an incline and when I would let of the ebrake on the RS, it would immediately start rolling back. Not so with the RT. At first I thought it might be a brake pad hanging up. Then I backed out and when I hit the brake, I got the dreaded "schoolbus" noise that Smiley used to talk about!

Someone mentioned the wheelbearing nut torque. Do you know if the wheel is supposed to be off the ground when you check it? Does it matter?
That's odd, both my RTs, and both the demos I rode, rolled much easier than Nancy's RS. In your case, metallic brake pads can rust to the rotors overnight, if left engaged. That would be a possible explanation. Does it roll any easier after you ride it a while, or when you park...before you set the brake?

Spyderjohn
04-10-2011, 08:44 PM
Took off the front tires today. With the tires off, they are easy to rotate. It looks like the brake pads are binding slightly, probably from sitting over the winter. All looks OK. Put it back together and torqued nuts. Will put a bit of mileage and will recheck it later.