PDA

View Full Version : Special Parking Brake Mod

Baphomet
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
This mod certainly isn't for everyone. In fact, probably very few but for those where it would apply it is great for a cheap and easy fix.

THE NEED: I did this for my wife who has cerebral palsy which considerably limits the extension in her legs. To put it simple, she cannot straighten her already short legs completely out. She is able to get on and off her RS with no problem, and she rides it better than the best but she cannot even come close to applying the parking break without getting off the Spyder first.

THE SOLUTION: Extend the parking brake out and up to the level of the left front foot peg.

THE METHOD: Bought a length of 1 1/4 inch flat iron from home depot. Measured three marks 3", 6", and 8 1/2" from the end of flat iron. Put flat iron in table vice and heated with a torch the mark at 3" for a 90 degree bend. Put another opposing 90 degree bend at the 6" mark. Cut off flat iron at the 8 1/2" mark.

Held 3" side to the existing foot pad mount and marked where the existing holes were. Marked other end for the two holes for mounting the foot pad itself. Drilled the four needed holes. Painted flat black from a rattle can. Mounted everything with thread locker. Touched up bolt heads with paint.

THE RESULT:
http://www.thecopierguru.com/public/brakemod.jpg

Now the wife is completely independent with her Spyder. She can tightly set the brake with minimal effort and needless to say she is thrilled.

I cannot take complete credit for this simple mod because I copied the idea from another post on the subject here on the forum ... I don't remember who posted it but I am grateful. My only addition was bring the bracket up closer to the foot peg as opposed to just straight out.

SpyderWolf
03-30-2011, 10:14 PM
:congrats: on coming up with a solution that works well for your wife.

If for some reason this ever stops working, you may want to contact Arthur-Mexico City on here. He actually fabricates a hand lever that attaches to the parking brake so there is no need to use your foot at all. He had one on his Spyder at teh SitS event and it looked like a good piece of equipment. Of course a couple of us wanted to know if he could drift with it. :D

Arthur---Mexico
04-26-2011, 01:44 AM
Spyder Wolf,

Thanks for the plug. I have those parking brake levers in Europe, the U.S., and Austrailia. The cost is $110.00 including shipping to the States. To Eupoe it's about $8.00 more. With my devise you do not have to dismount from your Spyder to apply or release the parking brake. The molded hand grip is a special design for comfort. Arthur---Mexico City xe1ll@prodigy.net.mx