PDA

View Full Version : Took your advice and looked on forum for used Spyder...more advice needed :)

Riker
03-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Hi all,

Found this 2009 Can-Am SPYDER GS,2009 Spyder GS Phantom Black Limited Edition SM5

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2009-Can-Am-SPYDER-GS--98324195

Sent an email last night and is still available..

Next concern, how do you guys buy far away when unseen?

I will be calling her this afternoon to chat.. questions I have are regarding:

DPS recall, Warranty comes with :), Maintenance work/papers, history of bike and why they are getting rid of ( she is offereing some extras with it, helmets, jackets, and some parts...almost like someone quit the hobby )..

Anything you suggest that I ask ?

Just a little nervous on a purchase like this and wanted to see what experiences you guys had....

But wow, it looks amazing :D

Hate to lean on you guys so early after meeting you, but I think it is a wise choice to trust those that already have experience :chat:

Thanks,

Riker

bjt
03-27-2011, 06:35 AM
That's a tough decision for sure. I wonder if there's a SpyderLovers member who lives near there that can check it out and give you a report. Someone here did something like that for us when we were nervous about a campground we were going to use on our trip to California.

kman
03-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Good morning neighbor,it doesn't look like a bad deal but I have not been looking for a used Spyder so I really don't know where the market is at for a used Spyder.
Have you been to Hanover Motosports to check out The new Spyders they have?Mine is up there now for 12,000 mile service and they have a sweet looking copper gs up there along with several RT's.Good luck on your purchase and when you do become a Spyder owner we will have to hook up to ride.:2thumbs:

dltang
03-27-2011, 07:06 AM
That's a tough decision for sure. I wonder if there's a SpyderLovers member who lives near there that can check it out and give you a report. Someone here did something like that for us when we were nervous about a campground we were going to use on our trip to California.

:agree: See if there are any SpyderLovers near Waco. I am sure they would be more than happy to check it out for you. Then if you decide the purchase is right you have a couple of options. Fly there and drive it home or look into the cost of shipping it back. Here is a thread where someone got a lot of advice about shipping a spyder, it may help you. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26276&highlight=shipping Best of luck finding what you want.

Riker
03-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Man, you guys rock !!

Calling all Waco area Spyder owners... hehe..am I allowed to do that :sour:

If anyone would be interested in helping a future Spyder owner out, let me know :helpsmilie:

Hey kman..or should I say neighbor :)... didnt even know that shop existed...will look into it as well..and when I get one, DEFINATELY !!!

I was concerned about shipping...thanks for that info !!

Thanks again guys...:2thumbs:

Riker

I am such a newbie, need to learn proper clothing and all, but will ask before I buy anything. Eventually would like to use for commuting to work and such and will need to figure out things :p

orangespy
03-27-2011, 07:50 AM
We bought my spyder used as well we we're worried about the custom paint job and why he wanted to get rid of it so instead of having it shipped he flew up to Minneapolis checked it out and drove it home. I've been very happy with it ever since.

Riker
03-27-2011, 08:16 AM
My other consern is being new to riding. I could not identify a problem unless it was something obvious like one of the Spyders 8 legs missing :roflblack:

I think, unless I get lucky and someone is near to check it out, I may have to stick to local. Planning to go visit a shop near by next Saturday. Trying to make an informed decision when making this purchase. Albeit, inside, I am like....:shocked:..:pray:..:yes:..:ohyea:...it's coming...just need to remain patient..lol

Lamonster
03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Looks like they are a member here :thumbup:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?u=4361

Riker
03-27-2011, 08:36 AM
hahaha..that is who is selling ....new member, so dont know history of them...thanks for looking :thumbup:

SpyderWolf
03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
:welcome:

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. Best of luck in your quest to own a Spyder. :thumbup:

M2Wild
03-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Next concern, how do you guys buy far away when unseen?

Do your homework and research all issues. Do not pay until you actually inspects the vehicle. Be prepared to walk away if something is seriously wrong.

Riker
03-28-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. I had one offer fall through, then the other one, I just did not feel comfortable with halfway across US, so I sent mail this morning saying no thanks:p. I think I am going to just have to suck it up and watch for a local deal in the MD/VA/PA region. Atleast then I can see it. I think a dealer would also give me peace of mind.

M2Wild
03-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the advice. I had one offer fall through, then the other one, I just did not feel comfortable with halfway across US, so I sent mail this morning saying no thanks:p. I think I am going to just have to suck it up and watch for a local deal in the MD/VA/PA region. Atleast then I can see it. I think a dealer would also give me peace of mind.
I think sticking to within a couple of hundred miles is a smart move. If you want a "great" deal, you must be patient. I waited over a year before I found mine.

dave711
03-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Man, you guys rock !!

Calling all Waco area Spyder owners... hehe..am I allowed to do that :sour:

If anyone would be interested in helping a future Spyder owner out, let me know :helpsmilie:

Hey kman..or should I say neighbor :)... didnt even know that shop existed...will look into it as well..and when I get one, DEFINATELY !!!

I was concerned about shipping...thanks for that info !!

Thanks again guys...:2thumbs:

Riker

I am such a newbie, need to learn proper clothing and all, but will ask before I buy anything. Eventually would like to use for commuting to work and such and will need to figure out things :p

If ya can't find one in waco.... let me know and I may make a run up the road to waco for ya...

Mr. White
03-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Here is what I did...just a suggestion. I decided what I wanted...looked for Spyder dealers within 100 miles of me. I called and said here is what I want....will you give me a price over the phone.

I called five dealers, three responded. Two were in the ball park. I went to their shops and talked to the sales mgr. in one and the owner in the second. Two local Spyders bragged on one of the dealers....WHO was not the lowest price by a few hundred dollars.

I bought new from this man/wife owner team. I will long remember the service and personal attention I am and will get rather than the price difference.

I factor in the cost of travel and time to go to a seller on eBay, etc. I have two friends who buy used on eBay and Craigslist and have had no problems. I am scared to do that....that is just me.

Buy, ride and enjoy.

Where in Texas?

:spyder2:

M2Wild
03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Just saw a NY Spyder from a memeber here for sale. Goto the FSBO section to see it.:2thumbs:

Riker
03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Nice...just took a gander..was not going to buy long distance, but less than 3k miles :clap:. I PM'd him, and also mentioned I would want someone from here to take a look at it first, so may need help if available guys.

:spyder2: hunt continues .....

Riker

Looked kinda cool without rear fender, what did you guys think ?

hut1
03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Riker, if you might be interested in a left-over 09 or 10, there's a dealer in Delaware that has a few in the $12k-$14K range. Here's their info:

Short's Marine
32415 Longneck Road
Millsboro, DE 19966
(302) 945-1200

It's only about 135 miles or so from you and the dealer is located just a few short miles from the Delaware/Maryland seashore. It could be a nice road trip with benefits! :joke:

Disclaimer: I have no financial or other interest in this dealer. I've just test driven a couple of :spyder2:therel!

Riker
03-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Hehe...no license yet..so will need to ship.. wouldn't that be a puckerfest for the first ride...100+ mile trip..:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

hut1
03-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Hehe...no license yet..so will need to ship.. wouldn't that be a puckerfest for the first ride...100+ mile trip..:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

You'd also have to cross the Bay Bridge and navigate around Baltimore or DC. Nice first voyage! :joke: