PDA

View Full Version : Taking the plunge... :D

Riker
03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi all,

New member... been reading the site though for a little while.

Finally decided to go for something I have always wanted to do....ride :doorag:

After seeing the commercials and reading various forums and watching a ton of videos, I have decided to go with the :spyder2:. Seems like a great machine and looks to be much safer ( main reason I never did it before )..

I will be going for my license in June..already signed up..

Probably going to go used, but never know...may splurge... any drawbacks on previous years vs current?

Hi, and look forward to chatting with you all..

Riker

docdoru
03-25-2011, 08:12 PM
:welcome:

DynamoBT
03-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Not much at all different between the 2008 and 2010. I can't say about the 2011. But, at least for the RS, I doubt much is different.

The big thing you want to watch out for is making sure that the DPS recall has been done on any used machine you run across. Dealers are supposed to do the DPS exchanges in any Spyder on the lot, including used, before sale. The new DPS came into being mid 2010. So some 10's and all 11's have it.

Look around. Used machines are out there as Spyder owners are moving from the RS to the RT. Now, if you are into the RT, there are still used out there. But, fewer.

Read the forum. Ask specific questions not vague ones. Get aquainted with the Spyder as much as possible. I bought a used 2008 SM5 in 09. No regrets at all. If you don't trust your own judgement looking at a used machine, go through a dealer. Get the BEST warranty. You won't look back!

Jester
03-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Riker,
If you are old as the hills like I am, you will prefer the RT where you sit erect and see the world on the finest touring machine I have ever had the privilege of riding. If you are younger, you may prefer the RS which may be more sporty. Either one is awesome!:2thumbs:

tofriendscreek
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
:welcome: You'll love either version. I'm probably considered an older guy and with risers I much prefer the GS.

SpyderAnn01
03-25-2011, 08:29 PM
:welcome: and good luck in finding the perfect Spyder for you.

Littlebadwolf
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Regardless of which version you get...you're gonna develop the fever and begin modifying/personalizing your new baby...I'm 58...got the RS for the sport factor...each to thier own...but it's gonna become "Yours". By the way...red's the fastest....:yes:

ataDude
03-25-2011, 08:39 PM
One other caution... if you buy one already out of warranty, you CANNOT purchase an extended warranty at any cost. To me, that is the possible downside to an older one.

Spyder Cat
03-25-2011, 08:51 PM
:congrats: Great decision! :2thumbs:
If you're near any of the Spyder events, why not check 'em out before you decide.
You'll get lots of advice, meet a lot of great people,
you'll see every mod imaginable - up close and personal
and who knows they may even let you sit on a Spyder or two .....

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

boborgera
03-25-2011, 09:21 PM
:welcome: Ahh, Go ahead and Splurge.:thumbup:

SpyderWolf
03-25-2011, 09:43 PM
:welcome:

Best of luck finding the Spyder that fits you and your budget. They are definitely out there, but it might take some serious searching.

Marker
03-25-2011, 10:01 PM
:welcome: Originally I wanted to buy an Rs model after test riding the RT I decided to buy a 2010 RT-s SE% in timeless black. Take the two model :spyder:'s for a test ride before buying just to be sure and its alot of fun test riding:thumbup:

Raptor
03-25-2011, 11:04 PM
:welcome: Originally I wanted to buy an Rs model after test riding the RT I decided to buy a 2010 RT-s SE% in timeless black. Take the two model :spyder:'s for a test ride before buying just to be sure and its alot of fun test riding:thumbup:

Absolutely. It is a big purchase so you want to make sure you choose the one that is right for you. There has already been some great input so that will certainly get you started. ataDude has an excellent point about the warranty. You WANT a machine that you can have a ewarranty on for sure. Good hunting! :ohyea:

stormtrooper
03-26-2011, 09:09 AM
:welcome: Good luck on your license and future spyder purchase :2thumbs:

dltang
03-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Hey Riker, check out the for sale forum right on this site. There are some great deals for used Spyders right under your nose. You could be a Spyder owner before you know it. :welcome:

jimclarkf1
03-26-2011, 09:33 AM
If there is any chance, COME to the SPYDERFEST next month, everything will be there, NEW & USED, lots of it, :clap: I have a 08 PE and I have had no problems, it will be a my 1st bike adventurer

napper39
03-26-2011, 10:19 AM
:agree:come to spyderfest you will see ever thing :spyder2::spyder::2thumbs:

Riker
03-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I can see by all the posts that everyone in here is very helpful and enjoys their machines...

Will take all your advice...the warranty/recall fix will be a requirement..thanks :2thumbs:

Looking forward to some future :chat:

Riker

Oh yeah...is 43 over the hill :yikes:

bone crusher
03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
One other caution... if you buy one already out of warranty, you CANNOT purchase an extended warranty at any cost. To me, that is the possible downside to an older one.

Not sure if you were referring to this or not, but if you buy a 2008 from the dealer, the warranty shouldn't start until you purchase it...so you can get an extended no problem...

If you buy it used, well, that's a problem, obviously...once the warranty ends, you're SOL...

Texmac1011
03-27-2011, 05:32 AM
"I will be going for my license in June..already signed up.."

You must have the patience of a saint. I could never wait that long to ride. Best of luck in your search and, as stated in a previous post, the best deals I've seen have been right here on SpyderLovers.......

I bought mine used from a dealer, so I feel like I got an affordable deal and knew all the required work had been done.

SpyderWolf
03-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Oh yeah...is 43 over the hill :yikes:

Definitetly not on this forum. I am 44, and if I recall correctly the average age of Spyder owners is well above this. There is a thread on here somewhere called "How Old Are We?" or something close to that, but I could not locate it in the search function.