PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Fear or Frantic Panic....

SpyderMeLucky
03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Or am I just a coward? :D LOL I'm really new to the riding world and have only begun to ride my new spyder around the city. I've done several "in-town" activities, i.e. grocery store, gas station, and the license bureau and then experimented with just riding around to get a better feel of the bike. :clap:

I feel confident with city traffic BUT...I haven't yet gotten onto the interstate. My top speed to date is (do I really admit this?) 62 mph. There is a state road I travel to get to my daughter's house (she lives about 4 miles from me) where the speed limit is 60. When I'm in my car I've gone much faster. hehe ;)

Is there a trick to the highway? Any tips you all can give me? I want to participate in the rides when I get to Spyderfest next month <---can you believe it's almost here?..and not be the straggler of the bunch or either not have the confidence to get out on the freeway and let it rip!!! ;)

Where I live in the St Louis metro area, Hwy 70 is a pretty busy roadway. Traffic is nightmarish in the morning and afternoon. :sour: Plus my DD informed me yesterday that according to the census, our county is now bigger than St. Louis county. Yikes!!!! There are always tons of truckers (the big ones with 18 wheels) tooling down the road at speeds that sometimes unnerves me when I'm driving my car and it doesn't help that we have 5 lanes of traffic just a couple miles from our exit. :shocked:

I know for you seasoned riders, this is probably a no-brainer. Yet for this newbie who LOVES her :spyder:, how do I conquer my..ahem..fear?

At this point, hubby and I are contemplating trailering the bike to Cuba, which is a little over a 2 hour drive away so that I wouldn't have the pressure of HAVING to ride on the highway. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance for any info.:chat:

Terri

SpyderDuck
03-25-2011, 11:03 AM
All I can say is just put on your big girl panties and give it a go. Use good sense and caution. I was intimidated to get on I-40 for a while, but was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. Traffic intimidates the heck out of me, even in my car, but I have managed to take Clyde on the 2-hr ride down 40 to my sister's place several times and not get freaked out, even alone. Her town is a lot busier than mine and I am unfamiliar with things there. The first time hubby followed me in the car (he's a fraidy cat and won't ride), being my tailgunner, so to speak. If you do feel a little scared, find a place to pull off (safely) and collect yourself, then continue.

But honestly, only riding time and familiarity with your Spyder will help. I'm sure you will come along faster than you think; the planned rides at Spyderfest will probably go just fine, and remember, you're riding with friends there. I discovered that little fact when I posted about being a little intimidated to ride the Dragon at the event in Maggie Valley, with the same concerns. I got a lot of positive support, and now I am excited.

My complete riding experience consists of having a learner's permit and a Spyder since September, but I was able to do the 2-hr highway trip within a month, and I am one big chicken.

Yazz
03-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I learned to ride in Houston. Traffic is pretty snarly here too. Took a couple hundred miles of confident riding before getting on the highways.

Remember your first ride? Think how far you have already come...
Get out and ride! Ride within your comfort zone, but push the envelope a little.

Have you thought about ryding a scenic route to Cuba?

gpthree
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I was in the same position as you. I had never rode a bike before I got the Spyder last summer and thought it would take a while before I got on the highway. There are a couple of roads that I was able to get it up to 60+ which built the confidence to hop on the highway. I live in the Philadelphia area and have no problems with getting on the highways now.

I was born and raised in St Louis though and would definitely hop on 70 with no hesitation. Once you do it a couple times, you'll get over the initial shock of it. The only problem I'd have with driving on 70 now would be there's a lot more police with radar there than there is here around Philadelphia. :)

I really dislike taking long road trips, but I cant wait to attempt my first road trip on the Spyder from Philadelphia back home to St Louis.

Get out and try it, you'll love it. :)

Firefly
03-25-2011, 11:13 AM
It's good to ride within your limits, but honestly highway driving is no big deal - and actually MUCH safer than city driving. There just are not as many accidents on highways as there are in cities.

Cross-winds and gusts from trucks are the biggest differences I've noticed. Keep a LIGHT grip on the bars-- if you grip too tight the wind hits you-- you move the bars without knowing it and it seems like your Spyder is moving around.

I doubt many of the rides in Cuba involve highway riding or very high speeds. Group rides never get too wild speed wise.

On the trailering to Cuba--- um-- from 2 hours away? Seriously?

While we're a super-friendly bunch -- if you do that at a bike rally like Sturgis -- you'll be made fun of. Ya bought the thing to RIDE it... :2thumbs:

I'm sure you could find a non-highway method of getting to Cuba --- I take the back roads whenever time allows as I prefer the scenery.

kman
03-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Practice,practice,practice.Remember to look far ahead as you ride and not straight in front of you,and to relax as much as possible.When you learn to relax your grip and look far ahead the Spyder will almost drive itself.

I had never rode a motorcycle before the Spyder and I had some of the same feelings you do at first but now all I think about is riding the Spyder.
My only regret is they didn't make these about 40 years ago!

Hang in there you will be riding like a pro in no time.:2thumbs:

murphybrown
03-25-2011, 11:16 AM
OK...I was totally where you are. Memorial Day last year took possession of Ms. Spyder. Had never ever driven a bike of any kind. 70 years old...soooo I would sneak up to WalMart parking lot at 5 a.m. (I live in small town...WM 1 1/2 mile thru town - but no traffic that early)...and spend an hour driving around..heck I think the first days I never got out of 2nd gear...
Just keep practicing...and look for any back roads that you can go slower and then increase as you feel confident.
Now I am this crazy biker grannie!!!! Even started using cruise control last fall .. had her up to 98 (just to feel the thrill) ... no traffic and pretty straight road. But I easily cruise hiway speed + 3-4....pass them slow goers and say :2thumbs:.

You can do this see you at Spyderfest. I leave on the 15th of April and driving all the way...hoping some of those higher elevations I will be going over cooperate...:2excited:

DaGrlz
03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
From one newbie to another, you can do it. I don't mind the interstates at all but City Traffic :helpsmilie:scares the heck out of me. So you have one up on me in that. Like SpyderDuck suggested find someone to be your "Tailgunner" the first time you drive the interstates. It's helped me knowing someone is watching my back. You can use cell phones to communicate and they can tell you whats happening around you until you're comfortable on your own. :welcome::congrats:

Fly boy
03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
I decided to just go for it!

Been riding 2 wheels for a while now, and feel pretty comfortable in traffic, on the highways etc. I did a 5 mile test ryde, mixing turns and highway, and thats all my ryding experience. I am picking my Spyder up next thursday and going from Cuba to Cheyenne WY!!! I am nervous and excited at the same time.

Just make sure you are confident in your machine, and ability and you will do fine!

SpyderAnn01
03-25-2011, 11:25 AM
I too was a little intimidated about the expressway so my first trip was a whole mile from one exit to the next. I did get up to 70 and thought it wasn't so bad. The next trip was 8 miles and I even went past a semi. The next trip was 300 miles round trip in the same day. Those trips were on a GS with the stock little windshield and all occurred in my first couple weeks of riding. (A taller windshield really helps at highway speeds)

I rode the GS for a month then I decided that I needed to buy a RT so I flew to Columbia, MO to pick it up. I rode from their with a friend to Alton, IL and we hit horrible rain and rush hour St. Louis traffic. No big deal. The next morning I got up and rode by myself 450 miles to Michigan through Chicago. Between the 2 Spyders I rode 10,000 miles from June 1st through November 30th. I am 53 years old and had never ridden before. If I can do it anybody can.

Get on the expressway at various times and go for a couple of miles and see how you feel. Good luck.

SpyderMeLucky
03-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Great advice so far. I've only been on my bike less than 50 miles total since October, which I think is a great sign that I AM making progress. If our weather was good for this weekend, which it isn't, I thought I would try the highway on a Sunday morning when traffic is lightest. I think when the weather does get better, I could attempt late morning, early afternoon going down an exit or two (at least initially).

About going the back roads to Cuba, that's a great idea and one I would definitely consider. My daughter's boyfriend and his sister both have spyders, and they are planning on riding down, but they have tons of riding experience of the two wheeled variety. LOL

I'm super excited about the Cowtown event. I've talked nonstop and now my family that isn't going just roll their eyes when I open my mouth.

And I'm totally excited about meeting others who as equally thrilled with their :f_spider:s.

SpyderAnn01
03-25-2011, 11:29 AM
As Firefly said if you trailer 2 hours be ready for ridicule. They will call you a trailer queen. We have a crown that my husband received a few years back when we trailered to an event a few hours from home. But in our defense the trailer is a toy hauler and that is what we were staying in at the event.

I'll bring the crowns with me in case you chicken out.

bikeguy
03-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I've been riding since 1950, mostly dirt bikes until I bought a street bike in 1975. I think I'm a reasonably competent rider but, I'll be honest, heavy traffic still bothers me and I avoid it when I can. Traffic is scary because there are so many potential problems that are out of my control. Still, there are times when I need to ride in traffic, so I do. There are two rules that I always keep in mind. "Ride like everyone else is actively trying to kill you." and "Try to always leave yourself an escape route."

As someone else mentioned, find a scenic, non-interstate route to Cuba and ride. Those backroads are a lot more fun than the interstates anyway and, in my opinion, much safer. Unfortunately, my wife and I will be riding the interstates from Texas to Cuba because of time restraints but, when we head home and aren't in too much of a hurry, we'll be on the backroads. Ride safe and have fun.

Cotton

Bob Denman
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
You do what you've got to do to feel comfortable on your Spyder! :congrats: If that means trailering it for what would be a couple of hour ride; isn't it better to show up and not be a nervous wreck from the trip getting there? Friendly jabs for "trailer queens" can be countered by not wanting to get your Spyder dirty on the trip there... :ohyea:
Don't push yourself beyond your limits... but DO quesiton them on a daily basis! :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
03-25-2011, 11:48 AM
As Firefly said if you trailer 2 hours be ready for ridicule. They will call you a trailer queen. I'll bring the crowns with me in case you chicken out.

:yikes:WOW!!! Talk'n about POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT:yikes:

:roflblack:CAN YOU FEEL THE LOVE? :roflblack:

NancysToy
03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Well, the first thing I would say you need is some more miles. It takes a few hundred before the Spyder feels second nature, even to a seasoned rider. Those rural highways and easy city riding are a good way to get some seat time. better yet, pick some easy, empty roads out in the country, and just ride around. You do not need a destination to take a ride.

Other tips would be to:
1. Relax! The Spyder is very sensitive to any steering input. Practice having a very light grip on the handlebars, and letting the Spyder go where it needs to, with minimal steering input. This is especially important in the wind and around trucks on the highway.
2. Look where you want to go. Don't look at the car you are passing, the front tires, a road hazard, or anything you do not want to hit. A vehicle goes where you look.
3. Head on a swivel. On a motorcycle or Spyder you need to practice defensive riding far more than anywhere else, except maybe in a fighter plane. Keep your head and eyes moving, so you are aware of what is out there...and where you have to go or how you might have to react.
4. Maintain your distance. If you allow plenty of distance to other vehicles, you won't feel you have to react as fast, and you will be more relaxed. If necessary, pull over and let the tail-gaters go by.
5. Keep up the parking lot practice. Practicing in a non-treatening environment does a lot to make avoidance maneuvers, tight turns, distance judgement, and control locations feel more natural and instinctive. I still practice periodically to this day, and so does Nancy.

What you are experiencing is pretty normal. My wife felt it when she started riding. I felt it when I first rode a Spyder, too, despite 50 years of riding experience. Give it time, stick to the lesser roads until you are comfortable, and keep practicing. It will feel natural in no time! I don't think anybody feels comfortable in heavy freeway traffic in a congested city, but if the Spyder becomes a bit more natural to you, it won't be as scary dodging the cagers.

ARtraveler
03-25-2011, 12:44 PM
:agree: Scotty pretty much said it all. Your past the parking lot stage (although a little more practice if needed can help), so you can actually get out there and ride, and enjoy the :spyder2:. I trained two (rookie to motorcycles) ladies to ryde and both were scarred of highway speeds. We took leisure rides on hilly, twisty, but scenic country roads the first couple times we got on the roads. Building speed from the high 30's up to 55--the speed limit there. Then the bravery test. Went out on the highway (65MPH) and just started riding. After a hundred miles, both were more comfortable, and the next hundred miles went much easier. Both ladies put on over 10,000 miles that first summer (May-Sept). The rest is history. Also, as mentioned above--250-500 miles will get you confortable--then you go on from there. Just remember you learning all the time--no matter how many miles you have driven.

medic 1
03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Last year was my first on the Spyder and like you I was very nervous about the expressway. At first I was timid due to the wind at higher speeds, over taking and over taken by vehicles caused anxiety. Just relax and hold on loosly and let the vehicle move itself, sort of. One thing that I noticed it was much easier passing a semi if your able to put a lane between you and it, not so much wind. Practice and patience in your abilities also play a huge part. Good luck and enjoy.

SpyderWolf
03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Well, the first thing I would say you need is some more miles. It takes a few hundred before the Spyder feels second nature, even to a seasoned rider. Those rural highways and easy city riding are a good way to get some seat time. better yet, pick some easy, empty roads out in the country, and just ride around. You do not need a destination to take a ride.

Other tips would be to:
1. Relax! The Spyder is very sensitive to any steering input. Practice having a very light grip on the handlebars, and letting the Spyder go where it needs to, with minimal steering input. This is especially important in the wind and around trucks on the highway.
2. Look where you want to go. Don't look at the car you are passing, the front tires, a road hazard, or anything you do not want to hit. A vehicle goes where you look.
3. Head on a swivel. On a motorcycle or Spyder you need to practice defensive riding far more than anywhere else, except maybe in a fighter plane. Keep your head and eyes moving, so you are aware of what is out there...and where you have to go or how you might have to react.
4. Maintain your distance. If you allow plenty of distance to other vehicles, you won't feel you have to react as fast, and you will be more relaxed. If necessary, pull over and let the tail-gaters go by.
5. Keep up the parking lot practice. Practicing in a non-treatening environment does a lot to make avoidance maneuvers, tight turns, distance judgement, and control locations feel more natural and instinctive. I still practice periodically to this day, and so does Nancy.

What you are experiencing is pretty normal. My wife felt it when she started riding. I felt it when I first rode a Spyder, too, despite 50 years of riding experience. Give it time, stick to the lesser roads until you are comfortable, and keep practicing. It will feel natural in no time! I don't think anybody feels comfortable in heavy freeway traffic in a congested city, but if the Spyder becomes a bit more natural to you, it won't be as scary dodging the cagers.

:agree: Outstanding advice from Scotty. With only 50 miles on your seat, more practice is definitely called for. You will get so used to it soon enough that it will be like second nature, and you will wonder what you were ever afraid of in the first place. :thumbup:

BIKEMIKE
03-25-2011, 02:34 PM
For now i'm still on two wheels and have been riding for more than 35 years. I still slow down when going into a left curve due to a truck coming over into my lane and running me off the road but I take a right curve with no trouble. You just ride the way that makes you fill good. Only remember too slow can get you into trouble too.

SpyderMeLucky
03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Again, thanks once again for all responses. I'm so impressed that everyone is so willing to help a newbie like me. :yes::gaah:Awesomeness!!! I know I need more time on the road for sure.

Now if we can only control our weather and get it to cooperate, that would be even better. They (weather forecasters) are calling for 4-5" snow this weekend with something possible for Mon/Tues. Thank goodness the ground is warm so the snow won't stick around like it would in Jan/Feb. nojoke

I do believe if we take the backroads to Cuba, that would be the best solution for getting me more used to the higher speeds plus the benefit of a more scenic ride. :2thumbs: Thanks bunches.

I look forward to meeting you all soon.:clap:

NancysToy
03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
.....I do believe if we take the backroads to Cuba, that would be the best solution for getting me more used to the higher speeds plus the benefit of a more scenic ride. :2thumbs: Thanks bunches.

Riding the rural highways is a great idea, if you have the time. Much less hectic, varied speeds as you pass through towns, and better scenery. Many touring riders stick to them like glue. I tend to prefer them, if I don't have a deadline.

DynamoBT
03-25-2011, 03:35 PM
It wasn't all that long ago that I started on two wheels. I think I got the "M" endorsement on my license when I was 56 years of age. Never had ridden a motorcycle before.

To get the hang of highways I would plan a local rode route that took me by the highway one exit away from where I wanted to end up. I'd get on the highway and literally ride to the next exit and GET OFF!!

I did a lot of this. Not just to and from the same exits. But getting on the highway, riding the distance to the next exit, and getting off to local roads.

I probably rode every day for a week doing this. And guess what? It gets easier!!!

And since I didn't have all that much road experience before I got the Spyder, I did the exact same thing with the Spyder when I got it. Now? I may not love highways. But I can get where I need to go. I still kind of hate toll booths! Those would be easier if I could fit a tank bag on my Spyder. But, that's about the only issue I have with highway roads around here.

You can do this. All it takes is time and patience with yourself. Don't overface yourself. I'm a big believer of building on success. If you push yourself too far and scare yourself, that's not "success". Take small steps. Repeat exercises a lot until you are comfortable. Not everyone assumes risks as readily as someone else. Go at your own pace. Push your boundaries gradually. I swear that riding from exit to exit was the ticket for me.

Good luck!! And, ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!! This is supposed to be F.U.N.!!!!:D

jimclarkf1
03-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I read SCOTTY,s info too, and if you go the back roads, watch out for the ANIMALS on the county roads. :clap:

SpyderAnn01
03-25-2011, 04:17 PM
You might find that you are more comfortable on the expressway than on the 5 lane highways where you have a lot of cross traffic and turning vehicles. Once you get out of the city the expressway gets pretty easy. If you stay at the speed limit it can be rather enjoyable.

And I was kidding about the ridicule. They only ridicule people who have no reason not to ride other than not wanting to get their ride dirty. Practice, practice and like others have said treat everybody like they are out to get you.

We will see you in MO.

capt.jim
03-25-2011, 04:19 PM
From one newbie to another, you can do it. I don't mind the interstates at all but City Traffic :helpsmilie:scares the heck out of me. So you have one up on me in that. Like SpyderDuck suggested find someone to be your "Tailgunner" the first time you drive the interstates. It's helped me knowing someone is watching my back. You can use cell phones to communicate and they can tell you whats happening around you until you're comfortable on your own. :welcome::congrats: Please Please tell me your not using your cell phone while your learning how to drive on the interstate:yikes::roflblack:

johnnyg
03-25-2011, 04:35 PM
From one newbie to another, you can do it. I don't mind the interstates at all but City Traffic :helpsmilie:scares the heck out of me. So you have one up on me in that. Like SpyderDuck suggested find someone to be your "Tailgunner" the first time you drive the interstates. It's helped me knowing someone is watching my back. You can use cell phones to communicate and they can tell you whats happening around you until you're comfortable on your own. :welcome::congrats:

Talk about being DUM I can't believe someone would even think of telling some new ryder to do this. Spyder,or not. cj

7 Decades
03-25-2011, 04:36 PM
:agree:you have so much info to absorb. I just want to say :2thumbs: :congrats:

COOLMACHINE
03-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I sent you a PM.

ARtraveler
03-25-2011, 04:52 PM
If your into communications between tailgunner and new rider, the bike to bike communicators--helmet to helmet (like Cardo 2 or 4's) work very well. Voice actuated, the driver can still do all the functions with both hands. This is what I used when helping the newbies.

SpyderMeLucky
03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Please Please tell me your not using your cell phone while your learning how to drive on the interstate:yikes::roflblack:

I DON'T use my cell phone while I'm driving. I put the phone in my purse, my purse is in the frunk. I can use my phone when I get OFF the bike, not while the bike is moving. Safety first. No call is so important that I have to risk my life trying to talk or text.

Also, my car driving is the same. I use a blue tooth with voice commands to talk on the cell. My hands remain on the steering wheel. As for texting, I don't do that too much anyway and then I'll do that when hubby is driving. I can't believe people will actually try to text on cell phones in the first place. Hugs!!

I wanted to also add, I purchased a helmet today that is bluetooth available so I could possibly talk ONCE I have a LOT more experience with bikes.

Spyder Cat
03-25-2011, 05:23 PM
:agree: There's a lot of good advice here.... just take your time, don't push it. It'll just happen.

Like you, I was not at all comfortable :yikes: on the freeways at first, but as the miles kept rolling past (most of them on back roads) and I became more familiar with the feel and handling of the Spyder, I found myself extending my territory. Before I knew it, I was on the freeway passing 18 wheelers. (okay, with white knuckles at first.) Now I think I'd rather be on the freeway than going thru crazy city traffic!:gaah:

Relax and enjoy your ryde. Don't miss a single opportunity to smile :2thumbs:

3Willie
03-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I did not start riding any motorcycle until I was 57 and found that riding with a buddy initially helped a lot. If you are riding with another Spyder, it is easy to see how they take curves, etc. It will also help you get more comfortable with the capabilities of this machine. It doesn't hurt to have a couple of riders no matter what so we are more visible to distracted motorists who did not drive well before becoming distracted. Once you are more comfortable at highway speeds, just practice, practice, practice. One day, you will notice you are just enjoying the ride, not thinking about how to actually ride.:2thumbs:

Oldmanzues
03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Lots of good advice. Time in the seat and on the road is what it takes to ride. Ride your Ride, not somebody eles. They going to fast, let them.
I would highly suspect you will find other riders that are limited in experience as well in Cuba. Not everybody was :dontknow::dontknow::yikes::cus: to ride the Dragon at speed.
If I am in a hurry (like many others on here), I take the freeway. Otherwise back roads. I have a little more seat time probably then some (no idea on Nancystoy) on here. Sixty two years plus. Any body lusting after a brand new Whizzer or the same brand new HD 125 ?
Ride safe, have fun, enjoy. Hope to see you in Cuba.
OldManZues

Yazz
03-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Again, thanks once again for all responses. I'm so impressed that everyone is so willing to help a newbie like me. :yes::gaah:Awesomeness!!! I know I need more time on the road for sure.

Now if we can only control our weather and get it to cooperate, that would be even better. They (weather forecasters) are calling for 4-5" snow this weekend with something possible for Mon/Tues. Thank goodness the ground is warm so the snow won't stick around like it would in Jan/Feb. nojoke

I do believe if we take the backroads to Cuba, that would be the best solution for getting me more used to the higher speeds plus the benefit of a more scenic ride. :2thumbs: Thanks bunches.

Looking forward to meeting you too!

GeminiJane
03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you've given this some thought and have gotten some experience riding before tackling the interstate, which is wise. We live down Carbondale way and make the two hour ride up and through St. Louis several times a month (sometimes several times a week) just to experience the restaurants and shops we miss down here. Frankly I HATE to drive in St. Louis in a car and even riding with my husband in a car or truck makes me nervous. The first time I rode in St. Louis traffic on a two wheeled motorcycle I was very nervous and hesitated to get up to speed (on 270 most were buzzing by in the 70's & 80's) and had to push myself to follow my husband - but that was not a route we often use (mostly use 64/70 and 170) so I wasn't sure when to change lanes and where we would be exiting so I had to try to keep right up with him as to not be caught if he signaled to exit. Since you are familiar with 70, you shouldn't have such anxieties. The other posts mentioned that in town/city riding can actually be more stressful as you watch for side streets, parking cars, open car doors, pedestrians, etc. Once you get on the interstate, just keep track of those coming up on you in your rear view mirrors, signal your intentions and BE SURE to turn your head and look over your shoulder before you change lanes just to be sure someone hasn't crept in. Other than that, you actually have more room in your lane than in a car, can hear other vehicles coming up and have better visuals (even with your helmet) than in a car. You have better acceleration and stopping ability than most cars you're driving with....so all in all you will have a blast after that first trip out. Once you do it, you'll wonder why you ever even stressed about it. So just take a big breath and go do it and get it behind you. You'll be so glad you did so you will be able to ride to Cuba. Good Luck (but you won't need it!)

nsuregal
03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
:welcome: I have had my Spyder for about 3 weeks. Each time I ride it I feel more confrontable on it. First weekend, I rode 125 miles with my husband behind me on his Harley, the next weekend we went 180 miles. The second weekend we got on the freeway and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Having someone behind me helped me not worry about someone tailgating me. Just ride where you feel confortable and practice. Soon, you'll be a pro. Hope to see you at Spyderfest.:ohyea:

DaGrlz
03-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Please Please tell me your not using your cell phone while your learning how to drive on the interstate:yikes::roflblack:

Our helmets have blue tooth and the phone is stored in the frunk. No need to touch it. Is this any different then using helmet to helmet communication?:spyder:

ScreaminMeanie
03-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm not the most confident rider ever, and I also hate interstates, even in the car. (Lucky for me, I no longer live anywhere near one!) Lots of good advice here, which I'm soaking up as well. While I feel ever so much more confident on the Spyder after less than 30 miles than I ever did on two wheels after 8 years and ~30K miles, I know there's a learning curve, and I know I need to take my time and get comfortable with it before I push the envelope too hard. City traffic is not that scary to me, since I commuted on the 2-wheeler a lot, but what makes me nervous now is the curvy roads. I still haven't got a good handle on higher speed turns, so I'm just going to ride as much as I can on less populated roads until I get the hang of it!

dancogan
03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
... I still haven't got a good handle on higher speed turns, so I'm just going to ride as much as I can on less populated roads until I get the hang of it!

I had the same problem when I started riding on 2 wheels. For me the thing that helped the most was taking turns at very comfortable speeds first, then gradually building speed as my skill and judgment allowed. If you're scaring the heck out of yourself on turns and curves then you're going too fast. Ride within your skill and ability, which only you know.

ThreeFeet
03-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Or am I just a coward? :D LOL I'm really new to the riding world and have only begun to ride my new spyder around the city. I've done several "in-town" activities, i.e. grocery store, gas station, and the license bureau and then experimented with just riding around to get a better feel of the bike. :clap:

I feel confident with city traffic BUT...I haven't yet gotten onto the interstate. My top speed to date is (do I really admit this?) 62 mph. There is a state road I travel to get to my daughter's house (she lives about 4 miles from me) where the speed limit is 60. When I'm in my car I've gone much faster. hehe ;)

Is there a trick to the highway? Any tips you all can give me? I want to participate in the rides when I get to Spyderfest next month <---can you believe it's almost here?..and not be the straggler of the bunch or either not have the confidence to get out on the freeway and let it rip!!! ;)

Where I live in the St Louis metro area, Hwy 70 is a pretty busy roadway. Traffic is nightmarish in the morning and afternoon. :sour: Plus my DD informed me yesterday that according to the census, our county is now bigger than St. Louis county. Yikes!!!! There are always tons of truckers (the big ones with 18 wheels) tooling down the road at speeds that sometimes unnerves me when I'm driving my car and it doesn't help that we have 5 lanes of traffic just a couple miles from our exit. :shocked:

I know for you seasoned riders, this is probably a no-brainer. Yet for this newbie who LOVES her :spyder:, how do I conquer my..ahem..fear?

At this point, hubby and I are contemplating trailering the bike to Cuba, which is a little over a 2 hour drive away so that I wouldn't have the pressure of HAVING to ride on the highway. :thumbup:

Thanks in advance for any info.:chat:

Terri Lady you have more guts than I do driving around St Louis!!! I bend over backwards to try to find ANY way to get around that city when I am in the truck(PU). Wouldn't EVEN go thru there on my :spyder2: I finally went on I 44 but only because I needed to get to Cuba a little faster than the outer road would let me. I didn't start ryding a :f_spider: till I was 65. Am now 67 snd having a blast. I drive it like I do the truck or the car. Just watch out a LOT more carefully for other drivers that FLAT OUT DON'T SEE YOU. Have had more close calls in town than on any hyway. You'll get the hang of it in no time. Just it's kinda nice if you are going about the same speed as the folks on the interstate and you MERGE. Makes it a lost easier for you. and you really don't notice how fast you are going untill ya look at the speedo. So don't look for just a little longer. But if you want PANIC get the darn thing into KM and not KNOW that!!! WOW "I can't be going 60 mph in town!!!" Took me awhile to see that KM sign!!! Seemed to take me forever to get it back toMPH!!! Great advice all over the place and the practice thing is ALLWAYS a good thing to do. AND:congrats::welcome: see ya at the FEST!! ThreeFeet.

Bob Denman
03-26-2011, 01:24 PM
So are you feeling overwhemed with all of the advice yet?? :2thumbs:

SpyderMeLucky
03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm loving all the advice, thanks.

We may still trailer it but now for different reasons. Hubby works from home and says if I would drive the truck, he could continue to work (he's in IT and needs to be on the computer). Otherwise he'll have to work on Friday to catch up (he works 4 tens). Even if it's two hours, he wouldn't lose the time and would continue to work once we got to the motel.

As for the tiara, I'll wear it happily if it ends up we do indeed traler the bike. My goal is to practice in the meantime between now and the meet, weather permitting. Now it's snowing without end and it's not supposed to end until we end with between 4-5".

I realized just yesterday, we have an interstate that is relatively quiet during the day--not Hwy 70--that I could get on. It's also close to where I live and I could get there by taking city roads.

You all rock and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

Where is everyone staying? We're set for Super 8.

ScreaminMeanie
03-26-2011, 03:12 PM
I had the same problem when I started riding on 2 wheels. For me the thing that helped the most was taking turns at very comfortable speeds first, then gradually building speed as my skill and judgment allowed. If you're scaring the heck out of yourself on turns and curves then you're going too fast. Ride within your skill and ability, which only you know.

Excellent advice! I am taking it easy for now, and getting more comfortable with it. Took it out for about 100 miles today - mostly mildly curvy 60 mph stuff with little traffic. By the end of the ride, the only places I was still getting a bit of a *gulp* feeling were curves with some combination of reverse camber, bumpy pavement, or crosswinds. I still have a ways to go before it's "natural" to me, so the quest continues. Meanwhile, it sure is FUN! When I got home, I couldn't believe I'd gone almost 100 miles!

Sny
03-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Frankly I HATE to drive in St. Louis in a car and even riding with my husband in a car or truck makes me nervous. The first time I rode in St. Louis traffic on a two wheeled motorcycle I was very nervous and hesitated to get up to speed (on 270 most were buzzing by in the 70's & 80's) and had to push myself to follow my husband - but that was not a route we often use (mostly use 64/70 and 170) so I wasn't sure when to change lanes and where we would be exiting so I had to try to keep right up with him as to not be caught if he signaled to exit.
I don't blame anyone for not wanting to ride the interstates through St Louis. I ride in Chicago so I think I know traffic pretty well, but riding in St Louis has always made the hair on my neck stand up for some reason.

Tons of great advice. My 2 cents? Relax. Do what you feel comfortable with. Take a route that avoids heavy traffic areas or ride at low traffic times of the day. You're supposed to enjoy riding, just avoid everything that's not fun :)

SpyderWolf
03-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Where is everyone staying? We're set for Super 8.

Here is a thread that will answer this question, and you can add your info to the poll as well:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24011

napper39
03-27-2011, 12:19 PM
all i can say is you got all the help you can ever get ,i love this form and all the grate people talk about help you cant go wrong now they told you everthing you need to know welcom to the best form for info. on the:spyder2: ill see you in spiderfest.:congrats: your going to do fine.:2thumbs::chat: