PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline's gallons

Arthur---Mexico
03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
About 15 years ago I was requested by the National University of Mexico in Mexico City to conduct a test on finding out how ground surface temerature changes affected temperatures at different depths of the ground below the surface. The tests were easy to conduct. I drilled a hole through the floor of my factory in a patio area that was exposed to the elements. To drill such a hole I had to move a 6 foot 20 HP radial drill to the spot the hole was to be drilled. A reading of the surface temperature was recorded every two hours and a reading of the temperature was taken at different depths every two hours. The depths that were checked were 1 meter (3 feet), 2 meters (6½ feet), and 3½ meters (12 feet). The reading were taken using a Minniapolis Honeywell pyrometer. The surface tempertures ranged from 29º C down to 12º C during the test. The only variation in temperatures that were found were at the 3 foot depth and that was only .05 (1/20) of a degree C during a 72 hour period. The temperatures at the deeper depths remaind constant. So I don't believe all this poppy talk about saving money filling your tank during cold hours because that's when the gasoline is colder and more dense. I can't imagine any reader getting up at 5 AM just to go fill their Spyder's or their car's gasoline tank. Arthur---Mexico City

woodchuck
03-22-2011, 10:43 PM
About 15 years ago I was requested by the National University of Mexico in Mexico City to conduct a test on finding out how ground surface temerature changes affected temperatures at different depths of the ground below the surface. The tests were easy to conduct. I drilled a hole through the floor of my factory in a patio area that was exposed to the elements. To drill such a hole I had to move a 6 foot 20 HP radial drill to the spot the hole was to be drilled. A reading of the surface temperature was recorded every two hours and a reading of the temperature was taken at different depths every two hours. The depths that were checked were 1 meter (3 feet), 2 meters (6½ feet), and 3½ meters (12 feet). The reading were taken using a Minniapolis Honeywell pyrometer. The surface tempertures ranged from 29º C down to 12º C during the test. The only variation in temperatures that were found were at the 3 foot depth and that was only .05 (1/20) of a degree C during a 72 hour period. The temperatures at the deeper depths remaind constant. So I don't believe all this poppy talk about saving money filling your tank during cold hours because that's when the gasoline is colder and more dense. I can't imagine any reader getting up at 5 AM just to go fill their Spyder's or their car's gasoline tank. Arthur---Mexico City

Where you live, the temperature is constant all year around.:yikes: Here in the northeast part of :yes:U.S.A the temp. varies a lot. In the winter, the water is a lot colder coming out of the taps. In the summer, it is a lot warmer.Because of the different temp. of the ground. So there fore you will have to come to :yes:USA to check your theory.

Blue Star
03-22-2011, 11:03 PM
I can't imagine any reader getting up at 5 AM just to go fill their Spyder's or their car's gasoline tank. Arthur---Mexico City
I get up at 3:20, and get gas, but then again, I am also on my way to work :shemademe_smilie::roflblack::roflblack:

M2Wild
03-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Where you live, the temperature is constant all year around.:yikes: Here in the northeast part of :yes:U.S.A the temp. varies a lot. In the winter, the water is a lot colder coming out of the taps. In the summer, it is a lot warmer.Because of the different temp. of the ground. So there fore you will have to come to :yes:USA to check your theory.
Ummmmm .... the water just "feel" a lot colder in the winter. Bet if you test the tap near the inlet .... it be the same. But if the pipe runs off the outside wall and gets effected by the exterior temp, then all bets are off.

boborgera
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
I guess your theory is correct if your Spyder is at the same depth as the tanks' but they're not. Fill two 5 gal tanks to the top leave the caps a little lose, put one tank in the shade the other in the in the sun and see what happens.

woodchuck
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Ummmmm .... the water just "feel" a lot colder in the winter. Bet if you test the tap near the inlet .... it be the same. But if the pipe runs off the outside wall and gets effected by the exterior temp, then all bets are off.

How can you say it feels colder.What you are saying if you Grab a pot on the stove and one on the table.They will be the same temp.
I was looking for a book that I have about diference in tempa and in the winter the water coming into the house was 58 degrees. The same tap in the summer was 71 degrees,You figure it out.