PDA

View Full Version : Belt Guard

gotafly
03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
How important is it to have a belt guard to prevent damage from stones, etc?

Raptor
03-22-2011, 03:11 PM
I think you are going to get a pretty wide range of answers here, but the default answer is Pretty Darn!

There are a number of variables that will determine the risk factors for running without the guards such as riding environment, the type and condition of the roads in your home range and so on. I have seen pictures of Spyders that have had their rear fenders and guards removed. I have also seen a picture or two of destroyed belts because of rock damage as a result.

Given that these belts (as well as Sprockets etc) aren't cheap to replace I am not sure I would want to run without them on. A determined stone can get in there even with the guards on but the chances are much less likely.

At the end of the day it's all about how much risk you are willing to accept. I know mine are staying on! Hope that helped.

boborgera
03-22-2011, 03:16 PM
How important is it to have a belt guard to prevent damage from stones, etc?

:welcome:
I ride in salt sand gravel all winter , Also a mile and a half dirt road quite often.
In almost 3 years still have the original belt.:dontknow:
That said i guess it can't hurt?

ARtraveler
03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Have not installed any aftermarket belt guards--but try to stay off gravel roads as much as possible. We have already made the $300 mistake once.

fastfraser
03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
:welcome: Stock guards work pretty good as long as you stay off gravel roads .

Firefly
03-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I've been running the last 15,000 miles without any rear fender, upper or lower belt guards and have had zero problems. I also run on gravel from time to time (fun to test the VSS out doing fishtails) and have never had any belt damage.

Probably a good idea to run them -- but certainly not necessary. Nothing I'm too worried about.

M2Wild
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
SpyderPops $20 missing belt guard or $260 replacement belt plus labor .... I'll take door number #1 - $20 worth of cheap insurance.

capt.jim
03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
I've been running the last 15,000 miles without any rear fender, upper or lower belt guards and have had zero problems. I also run on gravel from time to time (fun to test the VSS out doing fishtails) and have never had any belt damage.

Probably a good idea to run them -- but certainly not necessary. Nothing I'm too worried about.:agree:no fenders or guards here, haven't had a problem, seems like the guards might even feed them into the belt instead of letting them fly away, take your pick, the luck of the draw!

Raptor
03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Skipper, Fly, you guys are wild men! :roflblack: :roflblack:

As suspected, your answers will vary. I reckon if a rock is gonna get ya, it's gonna get ya. I think for the time being, however, I'm going to stay in the "keep'em on" camp. I reserve the right to change my mind, however, because I do like the look of no rear fender. :D

pjp623
03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
SpyderPops $20 missing belt guard or $260 replacement belt plus labor .... I'll take door number #1 - $20 worth of cheap insurance.
:agree:Even if I didn't run on gravel roads I would get this just because of the debris that you run across on paved roads.

gotafly
03-24-2011, 09:16 AM
I do have a summer place down a dirt road, just thinking about that...:dontknow:

M2Wild
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I do have a summer place down a dirt road, just thinking about that...:dontknow:
Why worry when a $20 bill can cure all that. They do a lot of road resurfacing in the fall and that will leave a ton of loose gravel around for months. I was avoiding those roads until I got the guard installed.