PDA

View Full Version : Hearing protection

can-am sam
03-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Just curious if anyone uses earplugs when ryding.

BajaRon
03-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Except for short trips, yes. Only way to go.

crazycanuck
03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
yes I use mine all the time. I got a custom set made from custom protect ear and plug my I-pod and its quiet. They are not cheap but best ear plugs I have used by far.

BajaRon
03-22-2011, 12:32 PM
yes I use mine all the time. I got a custom set made from custom protect ear and plug my I-pod and its quiet. They are not cheap but best ear plugs I have used by far.

How much is 'Not Cheap' if you don't mind me asking.

crazycanuck
03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
How much is 'Not Cheap' if you don't mind me asking.

without the ipod connection you are looking at $100 but they will last you. They came to my office to get the impressions and I had my own set within a week, custom made to your shape and size.

here is the website: http://www.protectear.com/

sabunim5
03-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes: they are part of ATGATT. They make ryding so much less stressfull.

Firefly
03-22-2011, 02:16 PM

I use these.....

http://www.earfuze.com/store.html

These are inexpensive and work really well...you do the custom fit yourself---- easy to do...

jnt
03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Always! Ok, except for short runs in town. Other than that, ALWAYS!! 40 years of not doing so (plus various power tool sounds) have a certain ring (in my ears). We use the custom ones from NowHearThis at www.plugup.com.

can-am sam
03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
We have the BRP communication headsets. I have not tried using earplugs with the headsets. Does anyone use earplugs with a headset and still be able to hear eachother and music?

bruiser
03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Always! Ok, except for short runs in town. Other than that, ALWAYS!! 40 years of not doing so (plus various power tool sounds) have a certain ring (in my ears). We use the custom ones from NowHearThis at www.plugup.com (http://www.plugup.com).

20 years on jets and 21 in various industrial settings. Hearing loss in both ears and tinitus. Forgot mine on a ride two Saturdays ago, crotch rockets would come screaming by, OUCH!!!!:yikes:

dltang
03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
We have the BRP communication headsets. I have not tried using earplugs with the headsets. Does anyone use earplugs with a headset and still be able to hear eachother and music?

I found when we had headsets instead of earbuds that surprisingly, I could hear the music or voice through the headset even better when I had earplugs in. Now I use noise canceling earbuds and I love them.

MouthPiece
03-22-2011, 06:03 PM

I guess I'm on the opposite end of the stick again. I personally don't want anything in my ears when riding/biking/jogging, or anything else that requires "awareness of surroundings". It's a personal preference of mine and not meant to cast any aspersions on others' preferences.

Chris PE# 0004

Red Recluse
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I agree with mouthpiece but I don't do any long trips.

dancogan
03-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't ride without them. They reduce the loud wind noise, but I can still hear through the intercom to talk to my best friend or road noise from nearby traffic.

GaryTheBadger
03-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I always wear foam earplugs and can hear my wife talking via my Sena SMH-10 helmet communicator just fine through the foam plugs.

NancysToy
03-22-2011, 07:51 PM
We use the BigEar custom earplugs. www.bigearinc.com (http://www.bigearinc.com) No speakers in ours...just plain earplugs. I have very tiny earholes, and I never had good success with standard earplugs.

Trickie Dick
03-22-2011, 09:59 PM
I use these custom molded ear plugs that cost next to nothing. They mold to your ear everytime I put them in.:2thumbs: http://earplugsonline.com/

bone crusher
03-22-2011, 10:45 PM
I guess I'm on the opposite end of the stick again. I personally don't want anything in my ears when riding/biking/jogging, or anything else that requires "awareness of surroundings". It's a personal preference of mine and not meant to cast any aspersions on others' preferences.

Chris PE# 0004

Well, it's not a question of 'if' you'll have hearing loss, it's a question of 'when'...

Again, personal preference though...

musicarcade
03-22-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't use earplugs. Sometimes wear earbuds when playing my ipod.
Doesn't sound that loud to me w/ the stock pipe.

..but I guess i say this alot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTHL0MAWkmY&NR=1

MouthPiece
03-23-2011, 05:43 AM
Well, it's not a question of 'if' you'll have hearing loss, it's a question of 'when'...

Again, personal preference though...

LOL. I already wear hearing aids from the "loud bands" back in the 60s, 70s.

Chris PE# 0004

sabunim5
03-23-2011, 09:27 AM

My wife and I always wear earplugs and we have communication in our helmets. You need what are often referred to as musicians earplugs. They attenuate in the 10 to 20 db range. I think ours are 13db attenuation. That way we can hear each other, music, the GPS, emergency vehicles, horns etc. but aren't damaging our hearing and are much more relaxed at the end of a days ryde.

sabunim5
03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I use these custom molded ear plugs that cost next to nothing. They mold to your ear everytime I put them in.:2thumbs: http://earplugsonline.com/

I used to wear these at night before my wife got her CPAP machine. They are very effective. Highest db attenuation on the market; 34db. IMHO only they block too much sound for safe ryding. 22db attenuation is about my personal safe hearing limit. As BajaRon said in another post, you do want to hear the train coming. :yikes:

Donzo
03-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Always use my earfuse esp. on the Spyder - there is alot of wind noise, let alone the exhaust.

BIKEMIKE
03-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Once but didnot like it felt I might miss something but I have always had a windshield so that keeps alot of wind off.

Firefly
03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't use earplugs. Sometimes wear earbuds when playing my ipod.
Doesn't sound that loud to me w/ the stock pipe.

..but I guess i say this alot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTHL0MAWkmY&NR=1

The main danger is not the exhaust noise--- it's the wind and helmet noise......

musicarcade
03-23-2011, 07:20 PM
The main danger is not the exhaust noise--- it's the wind and helmet noise......
Oh= ok...
Perhaps my madstadt windshield up high helps a bit...:dontknow:
I normally wear my earbuds on long rydes- don't know if they are actually protecting my ears while I'm listening to the Clash. Springsteen and Neil Young
:yes:

bone crusher
03-23-2011, 10:44 PM
LOL. I already wear hearing aids from the "loud bands" back in the 60s, 70s.

Chris PE# 0004

Yeah, but those 'loud bands' from the 60s and 70s rocked!!! Ever get to a Zep concert? That's one I wish I could see...oh, Floyd for that matter too!

Sny
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
My wife and I use these (http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders). You can hear pretty well with them in, but they cut out all the "dangerous" noises. I don't feel like I'm trapped in a bubble.

Also, because of the tiny hole in them, I don't have ear pressure problems with them in (don't know if that bugs anyone else but normal ear plugs drive me nuts after a while).

Your mileage may very. And I haven't done any real long trips (nothing over 100 miles) with them yet.

dancogan
03-24-2011, 06:06 AM

:thumbup: I thought my BMW R1200RT was quiet ... until I put in ear plugs. I couldn't believe how much wind noise I was getting from the windshield and the helmet.

NancysToy
03-24-2011, 07:25 AM
:thumbup: I thought my BMW R1200RT was quiet ... until I put in ear plugs. I couldn't believe how much wind noise I was getting from the windshield and the helmet.
:agree:

MouthPiece
03-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Yeah, but those 'loud bands' from the 60s and 70s rocked!!! Ever get to a Zep concert? That's one I wish I could see...oh, Floyd for that matter too!

Mine was more like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Frampton, ZZ and those fraternity parties we had where the band's speakers were right next to your ear when dancing.

Chris PE# 0004

Bob Denman
03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Nugent was pretty loudalso but The Who pegged the "Future hearing-aid wearer Express" meter!
Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult and Robin Trower could also leave ears in tatters

NancysToy
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Working the strating line at the drag strip gave me a 40%-60% loss at one time. It isn't supposed to come back, but it did. I'm not giving it a second chance to say "Goodbye". :D

Firefly
03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Nugent was pretty loudalso but The Who pegged the "Future hearing-aid wearer Express" meter!
Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult and Robin Trower could also leave ears in tatters

Loudest ever concert for me was AC/DC. Literally 'shook me all night long' --- including the fillings in my teeth!

I always take earplugs to concerts.

sabunim5
03-24-2011, 01:00 PM
My wife and I use these (http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders). You can hear pretty well with them in, but they cut out all the "dangerous" noises. I don't feel like I'm trapped in a bubble.

Also, because of the tiny hole in them, I don't have ear pressure problems with them in (don't know if that bugs anyone else but normal ear plugs drive me nuts after a while).

Your mileage may very. And I haven't done any real long trips (nothing over 100 miles) with them yet.

I have been wanting to try those type earplugs and appreciate the link. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
03-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Loudest ever concert for me was AC/DC. Literally 'shook me all night long' --- including the fillings in my teeth!

How on earth could I have forgotten them??? :shocked: Saw them at the Spectrum in Philly... :2thumbs: Great show!!

sinkhole
03-24-2011, 04:19 PM
How on earth could I have forgotten them??? :shocked: Saw them at the Spectrum in Philly... :2thumbs: Great show!!
The only thing louder at the Spectrum was a Flyers "concert". :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
03-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Philly sports teams... :yikes: As a kid in college near Trenton, I was just about halfway between New York and Philly, so the debate between the fan factions was in-TENSE!

musicarcade
03-26-2011, 10:28 AM

I always take earplugs to concerts.

I used to work concert as well as attend, so I've been to a lotta shows and usually wear ear plugs to those.
The 2 loudest I recall was Johnny Winter in '74. At Diablo Stadium outside of Tempe AZ
Get this- a 5 band show- The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, REO Speedwagon, Johnny Winter, Aerosmith, and ZZ Top. Winter was PAINFUL. I had to sit on the ground to try and get out of the axis to the House Right Stack. I finally went to the back of the ball field cuz I couldn't take it anymore. The guitar was just too piercing.

The other show was around'95 at the Roxy in Atlanta. Band was Living Colour. It was so loud that you could nearly see your clothing move from the bass response.:shocked: It felt like someone was actually pushing you in the chest. By the time the show was over I was fatigued from the barrage. So glad I had ear protection that night. In '74 that wasn't thought of at all for a 16 yr old so then I was stuffing kleenex in my ears. That does very little but as a last resort....you do what ya gotta do.

Anyway, this thread has gotten me to explore hearing protection while I ride so now I am looking for some ear plugs when I don't feel like listening to music while I ryde. When I do listen to music I use really enjoy the sound I get from my Sony earbuds. But like I stated earlier, I I'm not sure how much they protect my hearing.

.....:hun:
:doorag:

NancysToy
03-26-2011, 10:34 AM
.....Anyway, this thread has gotten me to explore hearing protection while I ride so now I am looking for some ear plugs when I don't feel like listening to music while I ryde. When I do listen to music I use really enjoy the sound I get from my Sony earbuds. But like I stated earlier, I I'm not sure how much they protect my hearing.
You can get custom made earplugs that include speakers.

DynamoBT
03-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Just ordered these. Definitely the right price. I like that they are reusable and custom fit to your ear each time you use them.

I think I can actually get my husband to wear these too!!
Thanks for the link.

jimcrom
03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I also have a set of the earfuze.
One thing to remember is be careful when taking your helmet off and make sure that that you don't grab the wires. (ask me how I know).

I use these.....

http://www.earfuze.com/store.html

These are inexpensive and work really well...you do the custom fit yourself---- easy to do...

bone crusher
03-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Mine was more like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Peter Frampton, ZZ and those fraternity parties we had where the band's speakers were right next to your ear when dancing.

Chris PE# 0004

Good stuff! I worked security when in college...a slightly different generation of music, but loud, nonetheless. I didn't wear earplugs and remember going to bed with my ears ringing...

Now I wear earplugs to concerts...indoor ones are the worst...saw Genesis a couple of years ago at Verizon Center...thought I was going to go deaf from that concert...way too loud.

Could never figure out the volume thing...the object is to hear the vocals, not just the noise...guess the roadies don't ever get this as most concerts drown out the vocals...

Best concert ever for me...Elton John/Billy Joel at stadium in Philly about 2 years ago...amazing...3.5 hours long of amazing music!

bone crusher
03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Just ordered these. Definitely the right price. I like that they are reusable and custom fit to your ear each time you use them.

I think I can actually get my husband to wear these too!!
Thanks for the link.

How do these work? I use the foam ones that are disposable...these look too flat to squash them and put them in your ear...can you tell me how you like these and how well they work?...for that matter, how they work?

DynamoBT
03-27-2011, 09:47 AM
I will certainly post a report when I get them. I believe that these are moldable. You warm them up between your fingers to start. This softens the beeswax (which is the primary component of these plugs) There is enough cotton in them that they don't just fall apart or anything.

Anyway, they form a complety seal of your ear canal. Yes, that's maybe more sound protection than desired. But, I have very small ear canals. Every plug I have tried expands too much after twisting it and inserting in my ear. The pain is unreal!! I just can't bear wearing them for even a few minutes. So, I've been wearing no ear protection at all.

I like these because they say they can be reused between 30 and 60 times. I got enough so that my husband can try them too. He just does not like to fuss with things too much. But, I think I can get him to try these plugs.

I will report back after I get them.

bone crusher
03-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I will certainly post a report when I get them. I believe that these are moldable. You warm them up between your fingers to start. This softens the beeswax (which is the primary component of these plugs) There is enough cotton in them that they don't just fall apart or anything.

Anyway, they form a complety seal of your ear canal. Yes, that's maybe more sound protection than desired. But, I have very small ear canals. Every plug I have tried expands too much after twisting it and inserting in my ear. The pain is unreal!! I just can't bear wearing them for even a few minutes. So, I've been wearing no ear protection at all.

I like these because they say they can be reused between 30 and 60 times. I got enough so that my husband can try them too. He just does not like to fuss with things too much. But, I think I can get him to try these plugs.

I will report back after I get them.

Look forward to that...make sure your English Bull Terrier (that's what he is, no?) doesn't eat them for a snack...was at a picnic one time and saw that kinda dog eat the whole plate, then the plate itself...was hilarious!!!

MouthPiece
03-27-2011, 12:38 PM
My granddaughter who has two cochlear implants uses the beeswax ear plugs when she goes swimming. It does mold inside the ear and keeps everything from entering the ear including sound. Although at the time she is swimming, she doesn't have her aids on and wouldn't be able to hear sound anyway.

Chris PE# 0004

DynamoBT
03-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Look forward to that...make sure your English Bull Terrier (that's what he is, no?) doesn't eat them for a snack...was at a picnic one time and saw that kinda dog eat the whole plate, then the plate itself...was hilarious!!!

Oh, we're careful!!!! Leading cause of death in Bull Terriers is obstruction due to eating a foreign objects. That's, other than "natural" causes.

Anyway, yes, I'll bet they would think these little pucks of beeswax just perfect bite sized goodies. They are very smart in some ways. And, not too bright in others!!