PDA

View Full Version : Helmet to Helmet Comm. Any ideas?

JohnS_Rosamond
03-20-2011, 07:48 PM
I have a basic RT. I've ridden for 20 years with no radio, no CB and nobody else. Now I have a girlfriend who likes the Spyder and wants to come with me, but would like to get a communications device to make communication easier. I'm not keep on having a bunch of cables hanging off the side of my head. Is anyone using one of the newer Blue-Tooth comm. devices? I have looked at the Chatterbox XBi, the Sena SMH10, and the Carlo Scala Rider system. I'm not interested in having a radio - like the Carlo system), but want to be able to clearly hear and speak to my passenger. Any feedback from those of you using these systems would be of great help. Thanks.

Rando
03-20-2011, 07:56 PM
My wife and I both have Spyders. We are very happy with the Carlo Scala's. :2thumbs:

2NFrnt
03-20-2011, 07:59 PM
The wife and I are using the Sena units and we love them. Very clear conversation and decent life on the battery.

Padre Spyder
03-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I am using the new Scala Powerset and am very pleased with it. I did not want anything except Rider to Passenger Communication and Bluetooth capabilities for my Phone and GPS.
Voice activation is sensitive enough that you don't have to yell into the mike but is not easily activated by wind noise.
Picked it up on EBay for $139.:clap::clap::clap:

cjackg
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I started with the Scala Q2, but soon replaced it with the Sena and am very pleased with both the simple operation and the sound volume of the Sena. The Scala G4 may be even better but I sure do love the Sena.

Littlebadwolf
03-20-2011, 08:02 PM
I just had the chance to use the Sena SMH-10's that I bought last week. I'm impressed with the set...crisp, clear communications between my wife and I, terrific volume...can hear well even at high speed and the helmet installation is a breeze. Well worth the $300 I paid for them. Easy pairing with bluetooth accessories. Definitely worth looking at. Think I post a review of them last week but here it is if you didn't see it....Larry

Sena SMH10 Intercom - webBikeWorld (http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/)

JohnS_Rosamond
03-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I am partial to the Sena system, but wanted to hear some experience with teh Scala Q4. John S,

Batmobile
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
See if you can find a scala rider team set if they still have them. That's what we have and they work well. They do not have the radio or an input to plug any other devices in, but do sync with other bluetooth devices.
So it's not a bad option if you primarily just want to talk to each other or connect a phone or GPS and the set(both units come together) is less than $200.

GaryTheBadger
03-20-2011, 08:09 PM
John, I am a Spyderlovers paid sponsor and I sell the Sena SMH-10. I have the dual-set in stock, ready to ship. Free shipping in the US.
See: http://www.NWACycleService.com

bone crusher
03-20-2011, 10:21 PM
cardo scala G4...gets firmware upgrades through the net and it is a very good unit...had the Q2 and the G4 is much better...

ARtraveler
03-20-2011, 10:26 PM
We used Cardo Q2's for 3 years--with no problem. Bought Q4's when they first came out--but the pair I got was defective. Sent them back and continued to use the Q2's. Not familiar with other brands. Now have Nolan rider/passenger communicators--but have not used them yet this season.

Sny
03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Been pretty happy with the UClear HBC100 (http://uclear-digital.com). It was ridiculously easy to install in 4 helmets (3 modular, 1 fullface) and the best part is, No Boom Mic!

Communicating is clear and easy. Bluetooth to the phone/gps works great. Music is kinda weak if that's your thing.

Not the cheapest option ($400w/shipping for 2 units and 4 helmet speakersets)

Firefly
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I am partial to the Sena system, but wanted to hear some experience with teh Scala Q4. John S,

I've been researching various models for some time now.... I've had the Q2 for awhile and it was 'okay'.

I dove into researching these and spent hours this weekend before making my final decision---- which is for the Sena units.

The Sena units are the way to go IMO. Far more features and options. The ability to use your own earbuds is a big advantage (requires an optional accessory). The quality and feature set is superior to the Q4's IMO.

On the downside, the Sena is not as well known or used - so you'll find more people using the Scala units if pairing with various others is a concern.

sabunim5
03-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Here are links to a possible solution.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-src-system-c3
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-helmet?gclid=CLey0puj4KcCFdc42godERW5_g
and a link to a reviews o the above
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/schuberth-c3/
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/schuberth-src/

granpa in Cincy
03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Shop wisely. Like oil changes at the dealer, prices vary tremendously :lecturef_smilie:

bikeguy
03-21-2011, 04:26 PM
All I wanted was rider/passenger intercom and debated about that for 20 years or so. We've been using the Scala Rider Q2 for about a year and a half. I don't know how it could get any better if intercom is all you want. The VOX works well, it's not plugged into anything, the batteries usually last all day and sometimes for 2 all day rides and charge in less than 2 hours, the speakers are fine for intercom, and they are cheap since the G4 came out. The only hassle is having to carry a small battery charger with you on overnight trips. Don't know what else I could ask for. I don't carry a cell phone, don't listen to music while riding, still use paper maps, and if I decide to mount a GPS the Q2 is bluetooth compatible.

Cotton

dltang
03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I've been researching various models for some time now.... I've had the Q2 for awhile and it was 'okay'.

I dove into researching these and spent hours this weekend before making my final decision---- which is for the Sena units.

The Sena units are the way to go IMO. Far more features and options. The ability to use your own earbuds is a big advantage (requires an optional accessory). The quality and feature set is superior to the Q4's IMO.

On the downside, the Sena is not as well known or used - so you'll find more people using the Scala units if pairing with various others is a concern.
Dan, I am really interested in this set up possibly. I like the idea of the use of your own earbuds. I think you get far superior sound that way. I will be checking them out. Just did some reading up on these and the price at amazon.com isn't too bad. I am impressed.

harddrive
03-21-2011, 09:26 PM
I bought the SENA dual set off of amazon about 8 months ago and love them. I got it when I had my 08 GS so that I could listen to music and talk to my wife.

It is a bit bulky on the helmet, but it has the battery built in to the unit and easily snaps on and off of the helmets for charging.

We now have an RT and use it for the intercom. IMO, it is the way to go, but I have no experience riding with the scala or other units out there.

We are looking at new helmets and the oneil tirade has the blinc built in to it, and was supprisingly good sounding, but I have not got one to road test. The only problem, I like the modular helmets and it is a full face...

wyliec
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I have the Scala Q2. If you are going with the Scala, I would also recommend you go with the G4. I had the Q2 for two seasons and at the end of last season, once the units were turned on, it actually took a 1/2 before they started working. This happened about 4 times after both units were charged.

I believe it was baja ron that pointed out the Scala Q2 with the orange dot/emblem was noted for having problems. So, if by chance you want a Scala Q2, make sure it is with the blue emblem, not orange.

SpyderGirl
03-21-2011, 10:17 PM
We use the BlueAnt F4 bluetooth units. We like how easy they are to set-up and operate. They are stereo and work passenger to rider, rider to rider, and will connect to GPS, iPod, or cell phone.

bone crusher
03-22-2011, 08:01 PM
I have the Scala Q2. If you are going with the Scala, I would also recommend you go with the G4. I had the Q2 for two seasons and at the end of last season, once the units were turned on, it actually took a 1/2 before they started working. This happened about 4 times after both units were charged.

I believe it was baja ron that pointed out the Scala Q2 with the orange dot/emblem was noted for having problems. So, if by chance you want a Scala Q2, make sure it is with the blue emblem, not orange.

I had the Q2 before the G4....G4 is really quite an upgrade...better in all ways...plus, those online updates are really great! They can address any issues users might have...