PDA

View Full Version : Screwed

pwilbarger
03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
First off let me say welcome to Baker Built Products as sponsor of this forum.
Anticipating the return of my RT-S from the dealer I ordered BB Air Wings for it. I really liked them on my Gold Wing. They arrived in about a week and the instructions seemed fairly clear. The day after the RT-S returned I set out about the install. Removed the middle panels and removed the right torks screw to mount the top bracket. Put the bracket in and tried to reinstall the existing screw as instructed. It's way too short at about 20mm. It needs to be at least 30mm if not 35mm. The left side is the same. I called Baker Built and talked to the general manager. I was told that this worked out okay on the prototype RT and he just installed a set at Bike Week and it worked just fine. I was instructed to buy longer screws and they will have to start including longer screws in the kit. Not much help for me. I have had no luck trying find the M8 x 1.00 (fine pitch) x 35mm on line. I can find all kinds of coarse (1.25 pitch) screws but no fine pitch. It may be even finer than 1.00, I'm not sure. I will go to the local Fastnal store next week. Anyone else have thoughts on where to get the longer screws?

Lifeisadaydream
03-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I live in the sticks and my local Ace Hardware had a great selection.

dave01
03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Lowes and Home Depot have been my place to get Metric's for sport bikes. Give them a try.
On second thought, have Baker Built next day you the items needed for the install.

boborgera
03-20-2011, 05:27 PM
On second thought, have Baker Built next day you the items needed for the install.

:agree:The first thing Baker should have said, we are sorry ,and we will over night the longer screws.:dontknow:

DougB
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Fastenal will have them.

pwilbarger
03-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys. After I determined the screws were actually M6 x 1.00 x 10mm I bought 25mm long screws at the local hardware. These worked great.
After the install was complete I found another annoyance. The bottom "brackets" attach to the top of the chrome logo on the middle side panels with double stick tape and with the top brackets screw to the frame you can't get the side panels off unless you remove the bolt that attaches Wings to the bracket. Not very easy to check the oil if you don't have a 7/16" wrench handy. I bought a couple of plastic knobs and 1/4 x 20 screws to try and construct an easier method to get them loose. I'll post pictures later if I can figuire out how to do that.

GypsyBill
03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I bought a couple of plastic knobs and 1/4 x 20 screws to try and construct an easier method to get them loose. I'll post pictures later if I can figuire out how to do that.

Any luck with this "adaptation"? I am asking as I am considering buying a set of the air wings and would also like an easier way to check my oil. Thanks.

pwilbarger
04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
I epoxied a 1/4 x 20 screw into the knobs and cut the heads off. I installed them in place of the supplied bolts using the included spring washers. They seem plenty tight using finger pressure but I haven't had a chance to road test the install yet as the weather here is still crappy.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1262&pictureid=14187

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1262&pictureid=14188

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1262&pictureid=14189

pwilbarger
04-22-2011, 01:02 PM
I have finally been able to go on several rides with the modified air wings and the knobs seem to be holding fast. They were tighten only by hand and are not loosening up. More later.