PDA

View Full Version : Harley Sportster Sidecar recommendations?

GaryTheBadger
03-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Hello, I have a customer who wants me to add a sidecar to his 2005 HD Sportster. He's looking to do this inexpensively, in other words, buy a used sidecar and have me connect it. Although I'm very mechanically experienced, this is a new area to me. Does HD make a sidecar attchment kit? Are there sidecar brands you recommend or that he should avoid? His primary passenger will be a 50 pound dog (or occasionally a human). He does NOT want to convert the Sportster to a trike, he wants a sidecar. Thanks for your help!

Roadkill
03-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Hello, I have a customer who wants me to add a sidecar to his 2005 HD Sportster. He's looking to do this inexpensively, in other words, buy a used sidecar and have me connect it. Although I'm very mechanically experienced, this is a new area to me. Does HD make a sidecar attchment kit? Are there sidecar brands you recommend or that he should avoid? His primary passenger will be a 50 pound dog (or occasionally a human). He does NOT want to convert the Sportster to a trike, he wants a sidecar. Thanks for your help!

+Attach a Velorex 562E for him. It's inexpensive, easy to handle, easy to hookup and detach, and great for the dog (or others). No mods necessary.
http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_5685.JPG

Worked for me for many miles. Still have the hack awaiting attachment to something else.

I can scan/copy the hookup instructions if you need them to see what you're in for, but any semi-capable individual can handle it.

Ride on.
Roadkill

GaryTheBadger
03-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks Roadkill, I have passed this on to my customer. Looks like used are $1500-$2000.

NancysToy
03-14-2011, 08:52 PM
There is a lot more to a sidecar rig than just bolting on a sidecar. Proper setup and alignment is an art, not a science, and few have mastered it. Without an ability to change the triple tree to adjust the rake, steering can be tough. A sidecar rig that is not set up right is among the most evil handling vehicles on earth. Not trying to scare you, just enlighten you. Do some research, talk to some sidecar experts or long time riders, and be sure to warn your customer about the possibilities and difficulties. Many first time hack riders find themselves in a ditch on their first outing. nojoke

Bob Denman
03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
:agree: But that's what makes them so much fun!! :shocked:

RAL
03-15-2011, 01:59 PM
There is a lot more to a sidecar rig than just bolting on a sidecar. Proper setup and alignment is an art, not a science, and few have mastered it. Without an ability to change the triple tree to adjust the rake, steering can be tough. A sidecar rig that is not set up right is among the most evil handling vehicles on earth. Not trying to scare you, just enlighten you. Do some research, talk to some sidecar experts or long time riders, and be sure to warn your customer about the possibilities and difficulties. Many first time hack riders find themselves in a ditch on their first outing. nojoke

+ 1!!!!!! Side cars are a joy but they have to be set up right. He might want to consider keeping the sporty stock and buying a ural. They are the only machines that are made from the ground up as a proper sidecar "rig".
With a little research a nice used machine can be had for under 5 grand ( you likely will spend that much converting the sporty). No you will not go cross country with it (although some do) but you will have a nice 60 mph proper sidecar rig. Get 2005 or newer they are light years ahead of the older units in terms of reliability.

RAL

GaryTheBadger
03-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback. I am passing it along to the customer, so he can make an informed decision. Keep it coming! :)

pierrelogic
03-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Here's some ideas. :joke:

pierrelogic
03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
More...

pierrelogic
03-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Or these...

pierrelogic
03-15-2011, 03:50 PM
and finally...