PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Spyders going to Spyderfest

dltang
03-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey all you Michigan Spyders. Just wondering who all was going, where you are leaving from, when everyone was going and when you all were planning on the return. Maybe if we start a thread, small groups can get together for the ride.

bjt and I are leaving Monday the 25th. We are going to take the scenic route down and avoid the highways and make a two day trip of it. We will be leaving from Grand Blanc (Flint area) sometime in the morning. We are going to stay at a cheap no name motel on the way down to save some money and we plan on arriving in Cuba on Tuesday. We will be driving straight through to come home on Sunday so we probably will be getting an early start on Sunday morning. We usually play that by ear.

fordguyupnorth
03-14-2011, 05:37 PM
not for sure whether or not we will be going as we have not been to any so far. sounds pretty interesting but will have to see. i will post as we decide. love the idea of everyone going as a group though.:2thumbs:

dancogan
03-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm scheduled to go. Not sure if I'll leave Sunday or Monday. I want to do some sightseeing in Hannibel on the way down. My plan is to leave midday Saturday to come home, finishing up the trip on Sunday and back to work Monday. I'll probably use the interestate to some, hopefully small, extent, but want to do mostly backroads.

dltang
03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
We've been all over the country and Canada on our Spyders. We usually take the highways. This is the first time we are considering the back roads, mostly because we have the time. I do know this though, if it gets to be too much stop and go or too slow, we will probably divert onto the highways. We are being very flexible, as this is our vacation week. We will be staying at the Super 8 for the week from Tues til Sunday.

SpyderAnn01
03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I'm still on the fence. I want to go but too many things still up in the air at this point. If I go I would probably be going with Carousel1958 from Grand Rapids. I believe she is planning on going on Tuesday and driving straight through.

I bought my RT in Jefferson City, MO and rode from there to St. Louis via the Lewis and Clark Trail. It is a nice scenic road with little traffic. You ride along a river for a long way it is curvy and rolling hills. It rained like mad when I was on it but it was pretty.

If I don't go with Deb her husband will go with her on his Harley.

dltang
03-14-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm still on the fence. I want to go but too many things still up in the air at this point. If I go I would probably be going with Carousel1958 from Grand Rapids. I believe she is planning on going on Tuesday and driving straight through.

I bought my RT in Jefferson City, MO and rode from there to St. Louis via the Lewis and Clark Trail. It is a nice scenic road with little traffic. You ride along a river for a long way it is curvy and rolling hills. It rained like mad when I was on it but it was pretty.

If I don't go with Deb her husband will go with her on his Harley.

The Louis and Clark trail sounds intriguing but it looks like you have to head farther south then we need to just to get to in on the eastern side of MO. We have driven straight through before and it isn't a problem, we are just taking the trip leisurely this time is all.

Boots
03-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Hey all you Michigan Spyders. Just wondering who all was going, where you are leaving from, when everyone was going and when you all were planning on the return. Maybe if we start a thread, small groups can get together for the ride.

bjt and I are leaving Monday the 25th. We are going to take the scenic route down and avoid the highways and make a two day trip of it. We will be leaving from Grand Blanc (Flint area) sometime in the morning. We are going to stay at a cheap no name motel on the way down to save some money and we plan on arriving in Cuba on Tuesday. We will be driving straight through to come home on Sunday so we probably will be getting an early start on Sunday morning. We usually play that by ear.
hi, SpyderAnn01 and I would love to travel with you both to Cuba,Missouri.Is there a place we can meet you in between ? About what time are you leaving on Monday ? Thankyou,Deb carousel1958

dltang
03-19-2011, 07:28 AM
hi, SpyderAnn01 and I would love to travel with you both to Cuba,Missouri.Is there a place we can meet you in between ? About what time are you leaving on Monday ? Thankyou,Deb carousel1958

Here is one potential route we may take to avoid the highways Map to Cuba (http://mapq.st/dO2Umt)As you can see Three Rivers, MI would be a great place to meet. You two could come straight down from Lowell and Grand Rapids. It looks like that is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from our place to Three Rivers. So if we planned on leaving our house about 07:00 we would be there by 10:30 or so. If the map is correct and still up to date there is a coffee place in Three Rivers right on RT 60 (aka Michigan ave.) called La's Coffee Cafe. We could meet there. Let's make this the tentative plan. I haven't talked to Brian yet about times so I will let you know if there are any changes. Looking forward to meeting you both.

SpyderAnn01
03-19-2011, 10:52 AM
I just sent you a PM and then I read this post. Three Rivers sounds fine for a link up.

dltang
03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
For those folks riding with Brian and me, I edited my map because I used MapQuest. The reason I did this is that there is a free GPS MapQuest App for Iphone (not sure if available for other phones, didn't look) It is a really nice navigational program. I added this link in my MapQuest on line and then can add the route directly to my phone by signing into My Mapquest on my phone. So if you get an online account, add the link and save it in your maps on line. Then download it to your Mobile Mapquest and we will all have the same route. Of course you will want to edit your starting point. :D

bjt
03-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Here is one potential route we may take to avoid the highways Map to Cuba (http://mapq.st/dO2Umt)As you can see Three Rivers, MI would be a great place to meet. You two could come straight down from Lowell and Grand Rapids. It looks like that is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from our place to Three Rivers. So if we planned on leaving our house about 07:00 we would be there by 10:30 or so. If the map is correct and still up to date there is a coffee place in Three Rivers right on RT 60 (aka Michigan ave.) called La's Coffee Cafe. We could meet there. Let's make this the tentative plan. I haven't talked to Brian yet about times so I will let you know if there are any changes. Looking forward to meeting you both.

Sounds and looks good. I wonder if the mapquest travel data will load onto a Garmin GPS?

NancysToy
03-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Sounds and looks good. I wonder if the mapquest travel data will load onto a Garmin GPS?
Yes and no. It will transfer the waypoints, but the GPS will recalculate the route to its own liking.

dltang
03-19-2011, 09:55 PM
For those folks riding with Brian and me, I edited my map because I used MapQuest. The reason I did this is that there is a free GPS MapQuest App for Iphone (not sure if available for other phones, didn't look) It is a really nice navigational program. I added this link in my MapQuest on line and then can add the route directly to my phone by signing into My Mapquest on my phone. So if you get an online account, add the link and save it in your maps on line. Then download it to your Mobile Mapquest and we will all have the same route. Of course you will want to edit your starting point. :D

As it turns out, it doesn't much matter. My MapQuest link is in the new MapQuest and you can only load the maps from Classic MapQuest to your Mobile MapQuest. Whatever, I have the route in my phone on two different GPS's so we are good to go no matter what. It's all about the ride and the adventure anyway. :2thumbs:

NancysToy
03-19-2011, 09:57 PM
As it turns out, it doesn't much matter. My MapQuest link is in the new MapQuest and you can only load the maps from Classic MapQuest to your Mobile MapQuest. Whatever, I have the route in my phone on two different GPS's so we are good to go no matter what. It's all about the ride and the adventure anyway. :2thumbs:
Can you convert a new MapQuest map to the Classic version, or just vice versa?

dltang
03-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Can you convert a new MapQuest map to the Classic version, or just vice versa?

No, I tried and it doesn't let you import the link or URL either. You have to start all over and the Classic doesn't have as many options so it is a pain to try to get a non highway route entered. As it is, it seems most of these map programs want to steer you to a highway as often as possible. I had to manually change the route a few times just to get it completely highway free. This will be a first for me, just taking my time. I am still wondering if I can do it...LOL

FIRECAT
03-25-2011, 09:05 AM

sounds good but I may have to cancell,I,ll know more later!!

Questions
04-23-2011, 06:46 PM
hey does anyone know of a pet carrier for our spyders...we have a small dog

SpyderAnn01
04-23-2011, 06:53 PM
There are a few of them available. Search on pet carriers and you should come up with a few threads. Cincyspder has one for his dog Teddy. Search on Teddy and you will see pics of theirs. Do you have a RT or RS?

Littlebadwolf
04-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Just found out I won't be able to leave until Tuesday morning..found out I've got some clogged arteries that are preventing my legs from healing properly so gotta have some scans done. Will probably drive down to Dayton and meet up with the ohio crew if they're still leaving on Wednesday morning and ride out with them. See you all when I get there.