PDA

View Full Version : Center tail light

spyder@sg
03-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Greetings!

Newbie here, with my very first in the forum! :D

I have just ordered the Custom Dynamics Center LED tail light.

http://customdynamics.com/Images/spy_tail_off.jpg http://customdynamics.com/Images/spy-center-led-tail.jpg

I am hoping to make it to be just a brake light instead of being BOTH a running and brake light, similar to the center brake light on our cars. Is this possible?

Thanks!! ;)

fastfraser
03-13-2011, 05:13 AM
:welcome::congrats::spyder2: ON.

Great product and easy install .Realy lights up the rear end !

bjt
03-13-2011, 05:50 AM
...I am hoping to make it to be just a brake light instead of being BOTH a running and brake light, similar to the center brake light on our cars. Is this possible?

Thanks!! ;)

Yes, you only hook up two of the three wires to get brake lights only. Unfortunately, I don't know off hand which two wires get hooked up and which one is left off. Hopefully in the directions it states which wire is the neutral, which is the brake light and which is the running light connection. Then just leave the running light wire disconnected, taped off and fastened up out of harms way. :thumbup:

SpydermanCT
03-13-2011, 08:27 AM
:welcome:

Let the addiction begin ! !

boborgera
03-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Greetings!

Newbie here, with my very first in the forum! :D

I have just ordered the Custom Dynamics Center LED tail light.

I am hoping to make it to be just a brake light instead of being BOTH a running and brake light, similar to the center brake light on our cars. Is this possible?

Thanks!! ;)

:welcome::2thumbs:

napper39
03-13-2011, 08:44 AM
welcom aboard :congrats: hope to see you at spyder fest.:D

NancysToy
03-13-2011, 05:51 PM

You're gonna love the ESI Center Taillight. Next to the Mudflap Lights, it is my very favorite mod! Looks like it grew there when the Spyder was born.

On the Spyder RS, the orange wire serves the taillights, and the white serves the brakelights. You should be able to just snip the orange wire (or its equivalent on the Center Taillight). I'd tape the loose ends. They can be reconnected with a butt connector (preferably waterproof) if you ever decide you want the taillight function.

You may want to reconsider, and use both functions. The Center Taillight does not light up in a separate location, like an automotive third brake light. It fills in the gap across the back, appearing from a distance like one large light. Yes, filling that gap, where no light appeared before, would be a bit more noticeable, but I feel the effect would be small. Nancy uses both functions on her Spyder, for added visibility at all times. Of course, since adding the mudflap lights, added visibility from the rear is not as necessary as it is with a stock Spyder.

Marker
03-13-2011, 06:40 PM

Let the addiction begin ! !

:agree::congrats::welcome:

Roger
03-13-2011, 06:46 PM

You're gonna love the ESI Center Taillight. Next to the Mudflap Lights, it is my very favorite mod! Looks like it grew there when the Spyder was born.

On the Spyder RS, the orange wire serves the taillights, and the white serves the brakelights. You should be able to just snip the orange wire (or its equivalent on the Center Taillight). I'd tape the loose ends. They can be reconnected with a butt connector (preferably waterproof) if you ever decide you want the taillight function.

You may want to reconsider, and use both functions. The Center Taillight does not light up in a separate location, like an automotive third brake light. It fills in the gap across the back, appearing from a distance like one large light. Yes, filling that gap, where no light appeared before, would be a bit more noticeable, but I feel the effect would be small. Nancy uses both functions on her Spyder, for added visibility at all times. Of course, since adding the mudflap lights, added visibility from the rear is not as necessary as it is with a stock Spyder.

:agree: That is until friday i pulled my bike out of storage then my daughters and my daughters bike kept on rolling in to mine and broke her mud flap light thats ok i bought that anyway and theres a new one on the way so i will have a spare. :yikes:

spyder@sg
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the information provided. :D
BTW, I have also posted this question to Custom Dynamics tech support, and the first answer they gave was to cut the Blue wire. However, I realised that there is no blue wire, so I verified with them again. The second answer came back was to cut the orange wire... :dontknow:
I just hope they know what they are talking about....:helpsmilie:

NancysToy
03-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome and the information provided. :D
BTW, I have also posted this question to Custom Dynamics tech support, and the first answer they gave was to cut the Blue wire. However, I realised that there is no blue wire, so I verified with them again. The second answer came back was to cut the orange wire... :dontknow:
I just hope they know what they are talking about....:helpsmilie:
The information I gave you (orange wire) is straight from the wiring diagram. Never fear! No big deal if you cut the wrong wire anyway, just a slowdown to find a crimp-on butt splice, or a soldering gun and a length of shrink tubing, to reconnect. You can do this! :D

retread
03-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Just be VERY careful when you wipe the area where the new light goes with the swab in the kit... if you go outside the area that needs it, it's a real bear to clean off. Ask me how I know.:opps:

john

spyder@sg
03-15-2011, 02:10 AM
The information I gave you (orange wire) is straight from the wiring diagram. Never fear! No big deal if you cut the wrong wire anyway, just a slowdown to find a crimp-on butt splice, or a soldering gun and a length of shrink tubing, to reconnect. You can do this! :D

Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I look at the wiring, if I don't connect the orange wire from the tail light unit to the posi-lock of the corresponding color wire, will that do it too? Then I don't need to cut any wiring, right? :helpsmilie:

Thanks!! ;)

Sunshyn
03-15-2011, 06:01 AM
Welcome Spyder Lover :2thumbs:..... Goodness, I sure do love that light. I wonder if it will fit on my 2009 Hot Red :spyder2:. Does anyone know? Also, will someone please tell me where to by this light and one that kinda glows at night and goes around that place under the hood, down close to the ground. I know I sound like a 2 year old learning to talk, but like riding, these things, ya gotta learn :yikes: one way or the other! Sunshyn

NancysToy
03-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, as I look at the wiring, if I don't connect the orange wire from the tail light unit to the posi-lock of the corresponding color wire, will that do it too? Then I don't need to cut any wiring, right? :helpsmilie:

Thanks!! ;)
If it is connected with Posi-Taps, leaving the orange disconnected is the way to go. I couldn't remember if this kit had OEM connectors or not. Nancy's has been there a long time.

fastfraser
03-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Welcome Spyder Lover :2thumbs:..... Goodness, I sure do love that light. I wonder if it will fit on my 2009 Hot Red :spyder2:. Does anyone know? Also, will someone please tell me where to by this light and one that kinda glows at night and goes around that place under the hood, down close to the ground. I know I sound like a 2 year old learning to talk, but like riding, these things, ya gotta learn :yikes: one way or the other! Sunshyn

You can order this from ESI a sponser on this site found on the home page . It will fit all SE or RS models. Not made for a RTS .

retread
03-15-2011, 11:17 AM
If you have the rack/backrest, it won't fit... goes on the standard tailpiece.

john

Sarge707
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
You will see IF you compare it is better with it "As Is!" I have the center light and a replacement Auto Zone license plate light that also acts a brake/running light so when I hit the brakes 4 lights POP on.:yikes:

KipDM
03-28-2011, 12:46 AM
i ordered the same light form the same place, it is being put on my Yform as we speak (ok, once they are open again). i chose to make it run/brake but also got a ?strobe kit? so that the brake will flash/strobe for more added visibility. of course the dealer (getting them to install cause i am TOTAL electrical noob) said if the middle/3rd light flashes, all the brake lights flash. i don't mind, but i hope they are wrong. i would LOVE to have the 2 side brakes just light up and the middle flash, but i'll take what i can get!:2excited: because i am getting several mods at once...i haven't even had a chance to ride it yet!:spyder2:

spyder@sg
03-28-2011, 04:58 AM
Its installed, and I love the setup, to have the center tail light as brake-only now.
Thanks for the information guys!
It worked like a champ!! :2thumbs:

Roger
03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
The answer will be in the instructions. But if you really want to doublecheck yourself call Jody or Evan at ESI they are a sponser also and the first to sell this product on here. Custom dynamics is very good also! I laso was just hooking up more brake lights and i'am pretty sure it was orange.