PDA

View Full Version : Rode My Zero Miles RT-S Home

GypsyBill
03-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Well, that is what the odometer said when I left the dealership after they replaced the instrument cluster.. can't say enough good things about South Texas Suzuki in Lytle, TX. (Bruce the Spyder mech, Kelley and Ken Haney, the owners and all the other good folks there). Called them last week stating my analog speedo would intermittently fail to cycle on startup and then just not work at all.. it would do this about 2 out of 10 starts... so they said would order a new one and swap it out.. rode down yesterday and they swapped it out in about an hour.. of course, while I was waiting I bought a couple of Spyder jackets and a few other assorted things... Now I just have to remember to add 1525 miles to the odometer ever time someone asks me how many miles I got on my :spyder2:.

fastfraser
03-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm pretty sure mileage will show up hooked up to BUDS .

NancysToy
03-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Change of cluster erases the mileage, as far as I know. Being able to readily enter a mileage on the cluster would create legal problems. It cannot be done via BUDS.

GypsyBill
03-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Change of cluster erases the mileage, as far as I know. Being able to readily enter a mileage on the cluster would create legal problems. It cannot be done via BUDS.

That's basically what I was told.. That's fine with me as they have a record of the original mileage as do I.. best part is all is working fine and the weather here is great :2thumbs:.

dancogan
03-12-2011, 05:55 PM
...best part is all is working fine and the weather here is great :2thumbs:.

:agree: Glad to hear it's all working. Now, if we could just get some of that great weather ....

SpyderAnn01
03-12-2011, 06:45 PM
:agree: Glad to hear it's all working. Now, if we could just get some of that great weather ....

x2 (forecast looks promising for next week)

burg650
03-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Maybe the miles is on the bike's computer and when buds is hocked up it will show?

NancysToy
03-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Maybe the miles is on the bike's computer and when buds is hocked up it will show?
The Spyder "computer" it is on, is the cluster module. When it is replaced, the record is gone. If BUDS will show the external mileage, it has to be by calculations from data kept by VIN# in the BRP system, not in the Spyder's computers.

Cal777
03-12-2011, 09:42 PM

I had mine replaced and the mileage went to zero. They gave me a paper stating the correct mileage, and told me that the correct mileage was in BRP's records.

Rudy

Mr. White
03-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Bill, I am glad to hear the South Texas Suzuki gang came through for you....Kelley called and said she got the invoice on my RT and it is on the truck somewhere. I am trying to be patient.

NancysToy
03-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Bill, I am glad to hear the South Texas Suzuki gang came through for you....Kelley called and said she got the invoice on my RT and it is on the truck somewhere. I am trying to be patient.
I saw mine Friday, George. (Gloat! ;)) They have to finish prepping it, and I will pick it up next week. When...depends on the weather. At least when you get yours, your weather will make for nice riding. I am still trying to figure out where to put the ladders on this three-wheeled fire engine. :joke:

stillriding
03-13-2011, 06:26 AM
That's basically what I was told.. That's fine with me as they have a record of the original mileage as do I.. best part is all is working fine and the weather here is great :2thumbs:.

My cluster was replaced at 4576 miles and the odometer zeroed out. To avoid a problem when/if I sell or trade my Spyder I had the dealer provide a statement on their letterhead stating what the odometer read at the time the work was done. Reason: vehicle titles in Ohio require that an inaccurate odometer reading must be noted. If you sell it to someone without noting the true mileage and the new owner takes it to a BRP dealer, that dealer will learn the actual mileage. The discrepancy could result in accusations (if not worse) against the seller.

Mr. White
03-13-2011, 09:09 AM
I saw mine Friday, George. (Gloat! ;)) They have to finish prepping it, and I will pick it up next week. When...depends on the weather. At least when you get yours, your weather will make for nice riding. I am still trying to figure out where to put the ladders on this three-wheeled fire engine. :joke:

Scotty, when you get your "Red", give us a rundown on your first rides and thoughts on the 2011. Between you and Lamont's 2011 comments, I am sure I won't be able to stand much more waiting. I spent several hours standing on the side of IH10W looking for the Can-Am truck...:gaah:

Y Rider
03-13-2011, 09:10 AM
I had a speedometer on my 2007 HD ultra classic that leaked water in it and fogged up the display. When they ordered the replacment for me they entered in the existing odometer reading from the bad one. When I got the replacement it had the correct mileage on it. This could only be set at the factory and not the dealership.

I'm glad it was done this way because it made it much easier to transfer the Illinois title when I sold it.

GypsyBill
03-13-2011, 10:13 AM
My cluster was replaced at 4576 miles and the odometer zeroed out. To avoid a problem when/if I sell or trade my Spyder I had the dealer provide a statement on their letterhead stating what the odometer read at the time the work was done. Reason: vehicle titles in Ohio require that an inaccurate odometer reading must be noted. If you sell it to someone without noting the true mileage and the new owner takes it to a BRP dealer, that dealer will learn the actual mileage. The discrepancy could result in accusations (if not worse) against the seller.

Ken (one of the owners of STS) gave me the original mileage and he also entered it in my account (and I assume BRPs system) so if I ever trade or sell it to someone other than them I will have it for mileage verification. TX has the same requirement to disclose the actual mileage. When (or if) I ever give my :spyder2: up it will be back to STS for another one so I should be ok...

GypsyBill
03-13-2011, 10:14 AM

Hang in there George. I am sure you will get the "it's here" call soon... and I think you will be as pleased with STS as I am...

NancysToy
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I had a speedometer on my 2007 HD ultra classic that leaked water in it and fogged up the display. When they ordered the replacment for me they entered in the existing odometer reading from the bad one. When I got the replacement it had the correct mileage on it. This could only be set at the factory and not the dealership.

I'm glad it was done this way because it made it much easier to transfer the Illinois title when I sold it.
That sounds like a great way to do it...despite the additional wait for the new cluster. It would neatly meet the law and work around the possibility of unscrupulous dealers.