PDA

View Full Version : Left hand or thumb throttle for RT?

BroknMetalFoot
03-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey all, I'm new here. My wife fell in love with the RT when it first came ou and we're at the point where she's seriously considering it, but due to a couple of medical issues she's very weak in her hand and wrist in her right arm. If it was an RS she was interested in it seems it would be a relatively easy mod to move the throttle to the left side, but since the RT has the electronic throttle, the dealership tells me that can't be done, at least not by them. Then he gave me the liability speech and said they can't do any mods even if I found one aftermarket.

So what I'm wondering is what are my options for getting a thumb throttle on the right, or moving the throttle to the left, thumb or otherwise? I haven't found anything specific to the RT for that yet, only information for the RS. Thanks in advance!

BrokenMetalFoot

boborgera
03-11-2011, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=BroknMetalFoot;293359]Hey all, I'm new here. My wife fell in love with the RT when it first came ou and we're at the point where she's seriously considering it, but due to a couple of medical issues she's very weak in her hand and wrist in her right arm. If it was an RS she was interested in it seems it would be a relatively easy mod to move the throttle to the left side, but since the RT has the electronic throttle, the dealership tells me that can't be done, at least not by them. Then he gave me the liability speech and said they can't do any mods even if I found one aftermarket.

So what I'm wondering is what are my options for getting a thumb throttle on the right, or moving the throttle to the left, thumb or otherwise? I haven't found anything specific to the RT for that yet, only information for the RS. Thanks in advance!

:welcome:Sorry i can't help you' but there's a wealth of information on this forum so I'm sure someone will chime with the help you need.:thumbup:

IWN2RYD
03-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Pretty much anything you need can be done. I have seen one with a thumb throttle on an RS. If memory serves me well it was a Honda item, customized and or adapted to fit. Our Handlebars are a universal size I believe of 7/8"

NancysToy
03-11-2011, 10:36 PM
It will be very difficult with an RT. The fly-by-wire throttle makes it much more complicated than a simple cable. Whatever you use must send the right signals to the Spyder throttle-blade positioner and the ECM/cluster. I am not sure what would be compatible. I hope you find somebody much, much smarter than I am, to help you invent a solution.

M2Wild
03-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Spyder rider needs decent upper body and arm strength to steer and much more so in an emergency situation. It's not like a two wheeler where you can simply shift your weight and steer the bike to some degree. Also changing throttle setup could be tricky and potencially dangerous.

fastfraser
03-12-2011, 08:10 AM
:welcome: :agree:with the posts above. Although the Spyder has power assist steering under certain conditions a bit of upper arm strength is involved in steering.

bcspyder
03-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Agreed regarding safety issues. In the event of an emergency, strength and body movement will go along way when it comes to avoidance. Sorry to burst the bubble but if her strength is limited enough to have to move the throttle it has a chance of causing her, and others, injury. The Spyder involves your body and is not anywhere near as passive as a street ridden motorcycle.

BroknMetalFoot
03-14-2011, 02:28 AM
I appriciate your responses, including the concerned ones. It does make me wonder though about the stories I've read of riders with one arm and using a prosthetic or other adaptive device riding around on Spyders. In any event like that I imagine there's some loss of efficiency with regards to transmitting the muscle action of the shoulder and upper arm to the handlebar, and I had hoped she'd be in the same range as though folks, but considering what you say, that range may not be wide enough to account for emergency situations. :(

I test rode an RS in their first year, and my memory was that it was mostly pushed in corners by "body english" as ATV's and snomobiles are, rather than pushing the arms, but that was several years ago and maybe my memory is faulty. :dontknow:

IWN2RYD
03-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I appriciate your responses, including the concerned ones. It does make me wonder though about the stories I've read of riders with one arm and using a prosthetic or other adaptive device riding around on Spyders. In any event like that I imagine there's some loss of efficiency with regards to transmitting the muscle action of the shoulder and upper arm to the handlebar, and I had hoped she'd be in the same range as though folks, but considering what you say, that range may not be wide enough to account for emergency situations. :(

I test rode an RS in their first year, and my memory was that it was mostly pushed in corners by "body english" as ATV's and snomobiles are, rather than pushing the arms, but that was several years ago and maybe my memory is faulty. :dontknow:

Your memory is correct. Folks are just trying to be of help as they are good folks...

My wife has a permanent partial disability in the shoulders that reduces her strength and time she can be a driver. She LOVES the RSS we have and misses the RT we had last year.

We have plans on becoming a two spyder family, one RT and one RS... The RS for spirited rydes and RT for mostly two up when she is not wanting to be a driver :2thumbs:

Only you and your wife can decide if the bike will work out or not. :doorag:

NancysToy
03-14-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't think that an upper body disability would automatically rule out riding a Spyder, but the ability to maneuver sufficiently should certainly be taken into account when you evaluate the feasibilty of putting your wife on a Spyder...in addition to evealuating any mods that would be required. One should be able to perform the skills listed in the Owners Guide, to operate a Spyder safely. These skills should also be practiced before taking to the road in earnest.

There is some degree of steering that can come from shifting body weight on a Spyder, but in my opinion, it is nowhere near as pronounced as it is on a soft-tired ATV. It is also more difficult to do on the RT than on the RS...and less effective, again IMO. I'd suggest another demo ride on each model to refresh your memory, as well as to assess your wife's comfort level and her capabilities/needs. She can check her range of motion on a running Spyder sitting still in the parking lot, if need be, keeping in mind that steering is much harder when not moving. From there you can decide if the idea should be pursued further. Best of luck in your research.

Boots
03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
hi,I was born missing my right arm.I have a SE5 automatic/powersteering / foot brakes.I had my right hand throttle disabled. I brought my motorcycle to a shop that specializes in handicap conversion's to any vehicle.They came up with a foot gas pedal on the left side for me.There was not enough room on the right side with the brake pedal there.My motorcycle was the first they ever converted.I am now able to drive my own motorcycle.This has been a dream of mine for a very long time.Hope this gives you the incentive to be able to drive your own motorcycle.

dancogan
03-17-2011, 06:24 PM
hi,I was born missing my right arm....I am now able to drive my own motorcycle.This has been a dream of mine for a very long time.Hope this gives you the incentive to be able to drive your own motorcycle.

This so great! :2thumbs: Maybe you could share with others with similar needs where the work was done.
Oh, and :welcome:

boborgera
03-17-2011, 10:56 PM
hi,I was born missing my right arm.I have a SE5 automatic/powersteering / foot brakes.I had my right hand throttle disabled. I brought my motorcycle to a shop that specializes in handicap conversion's to any vehicle.They came up with a foot gas pedal on the left side for me.There was not enough room on the right side with the brake pedal there.My motorcycle was the first they ever converted.I am now able to drive my own motorcycle.This has been a dream of mine for a very long time.Hope this gives you the incentive to be able to drive your own motorcycle.

:congrats::thumbup::thumbup: Glad you can get out in the wind,:yes:

littlebob24
05-18-2011, 04:01 PM

:congrats::clap::2excited::congrats: Glad to hear the bugs are hitting you once again or for the first time ! Awesome.

:2thumbs:

prmurat
06-19-2011, 09:01 PM
My right arm was been busted almost 2 years ago (radial nerve gone) and I have a RT-S for more than a month and 1800 miles now. It is an handful on twisty roads but I manage to stay with my pals on bikes (even be in front when it's a real bad roads with gravel etc.). I cannot really open the electric throttle wide open but I reformed/cut a "crampbuster" to act as a thumb throttle and it works quiet ok! I would like more power assistance in the steering for slow switchebacks but I am not sure it's possible .
It can be real tiring, lot more than any bike, but this is the only way we found to go on vacations my wife and I!! I am starting to look like this crab with an huge claw and an atrophied one on the other side!
Philippe

Questions
04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
I'm looking for sim knowledge on getting my 2013 RT CONVERTED to hand brakes or having the brake moved to the left side which ever is the cheapest. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/30/ute9abar.jpg
I'm Bout to lose my right foot in surgery in a few weeks and need some help on finding a conversion to go with ! Thanks for any assistance anyone can give. Had a price from a dealer but I think it's a little Salty it was over $2000.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

evansvillenowmilton
06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I was at the dealer yesterday. I have polio in my legs and right arm. I could walk until 40yrs old..Then post polio syndrome came on like gangbusters .. I rode dirt bikes,Sportster,4x4 trax. Then when I could not walk I lost the ability to ride a standard motorcycle.. SHIFTING,STOPING and KICK STARTING a bike...Then Spyder came to me.. I looked it over on the internet. Found someone ridding one and looked it over..... Ill buy one and learn how to get on and stay on. My upper body is strong. Right foot will work the brakes fine.. SO IM going next week end and try to buy it. Thats how I do things.... Get it. learn how to make it work. In a month or so Im having a power wheelchair trailer built. My design. I'm not sitting and let life go by uneventfully.;)

Fat Crip
06-08-2014, 03:14 PM
The fly by wire causes issues if you want to go left handed. So much so, I was told it couldn't be done! However, my dealer in London did the business and fitted a left hand throttle and brake for me. It works well, but shifting and indicating whilst holding the throttle open is a challenge. Certainly beats a thumb throttle which is way too tiring after a couple of hours. I did 120 miles today in the sunshine...lovely :-)

Yazz
06-09-2014, 06:00 PM
I'm looking for sim knowledge on getting my 2013 RT CONVERTED to hand brakes or having the brake moved to the left side which ever is the cheapest.
I'm Bout to lose my right foot in surgery in a few weeks and need some help on finding a conversion to go with ! Thanks for any assistance anyone can give. Had a price from a dealer but I think it's a little Salty it was over $2000.00
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ISCI makes a reliable hand brake, heard they give discounts to enabled riders.

http://www.isciride.com/iscirtparts.htm#handbrakesystem

As for installation, maybe some good people near you could help you out.

gmcgarrity
06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
there are "cramp buster" and other plastic/metal brackets to add to the twist grip.
I have CC in my right hand so I cannot hold the throttle very long

I can use my thumb all day.

I hope this helps

ride save
Geo

Gordy
06-09-2014, 06:51 PM
would only need crampbuster in town, cruise control on open road