PDA

View Full Version : Need tall windshield

Questions
03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I have looked at all the post on windshields and still don't know what to try. I am 6'6" tall I have 4" risers on my bars so I can sit up straight. I have the 25" BRP Deluxe windshield now. What are you big guy's using that works? Can you buy an additional lib that can be added, I would think I will need another 4". The tallest one I can find is a Cee Baileys at 27". I am riding an 08 GS. Thanks for any help.
Rodger

jima1153
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm 6'8". I had the same problem. I went to a CHAD on mine and that helped. Then my RT arrived with the adjustable shield and it is much superior to the chad. I can wear a ball cap on the RT but not the RS/CHAD. I am not sure what to tell you. If you could make it to Spyderfest this April at Cowtown/ Cuba, MO, I'm sure you will see every different combination there imaginable with the driver close by for comments. I hope to make it and explore the same thing. Good Luck! :thumbup:

NancysToy
03-09-2011, 10:19 PM
There is much more to having an effective windshield than just the height. The height, distance from the rider, shape, and angle, as well as the openings through the shield, or the space under it, all affect the windstream. The rider's body type further complicates the issue. Some riders of the same heights, have different torso lengths. The type, angle, and height of the handlebar risers, as well as the rider's arm length, also factor in. For that reason, I prefer an adjustable windshield. Your chances of finding an acceptable "fit" are greater. The Madstad or the CHAD are the two with adjustable brackets that provide both height and angle adjustment. The Madstad RoboBracket can also be purchased separately, and can be used with the shield of your choice.

mrb
03-10-2011, 12:15 AM
There is much more to having an effective windshield than just the height. The height, distance from the rider, shape, and angle, as well as the openings through the shield, or the space under it, all affect the windstream. The rider's body type further complicates the issue. Some riders of the same heights, have different torso lengths. The type, angle, and height of the handlebar risers, as well as the rider's arm length, also factor in. For that reason, I prefer an adjustable windshield. Your chances of finding an acceptable "fit" are greater. The Madstad or the CHAD are the two with adjustable brackets that provide both height and angle adjustment. The Madstad RoboBracket can also be purchased separately, and can be used with the shield of your choice.

As Scotty said above- height is not the main factor in my opinion. I have had CHAD and now run a Madstad system which is the best I have found by far. I am 6ft with 4" risers.

Questions
03-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I agree with the above posts. I am 6'4". I have 4 inch risers. I am using the Madstadt Windshield and couldn't be happier. I actually have it adjusted to a lower setting. I look over the top. Probably the top of the windshield is about at my mouth level or so. I get no wind in my face. I do get some around the side of my face, but that's no problem.

I originally had the BRP Touring 25". I like the Madstadt much better.

I just returned from Daytona running speeds of 75 to 80 on the Turnpike with no wind problems. Now the 35 to 40 MPH gusts coming from the side are another story....

Jim

Questions
03-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks guy's for the advice, I agree it is more than height. I looked at the Manstad site and they show the adjustable bracket on the BRP touring windshield that I have. I ordered the bracket and will give it a try. Thanks again.

IWN2RYD
03-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Man what great info in this thread...

Just adding my own $.02 (Give or take $.02)...

I found I like the wind that is being deflected by the windscreen to be most effective and comfortable when it hits just above my forehead on my helmet.

If I go any higher, it creates a turbulence for the passenger or myself (It does not hit my helmet at all in front)... In other words it feels like someone is gently pressing on the back of my helmet and I bobble head a little.

So by having a little bit if the deflected air hit my helmet I find the noise level to be greatly decrease, my much needed ventilation (I run hot naturally and no full face helmet breaths enough for me with the screen/shield closed).

Additionally I fatigue less.

Oh and in the rain I never seem to have any fogging issues or rain drops while in movement with this type of setting. Now the back of my neck ends up wet if I fail to wear the proper gear of course...:thumbup::roflblack::shemademe_smilie: