PDA

View Full Version : Helmet noise reduction

GaryTheBadger
03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm looking for advise on helmet noise reduction. I always wear earplugs, but there's still a hurricane inside my helmet at freeway speeds. It's a full-face modular and the visor is always closed. The wind noise is definately coming from underneath, more so on the right side (a helmet communicator is attached to the left side, so there's a clue).

As it is now, long freeway trips are very unpleasant and I have to find a way to prevent worsening tinnitus and hyperacusis, else give up motorcycling :( ...its getting that bad.

Does anyone have experience with devices like the Windjammer, Helmet-Muffler or others? Do they work? Do thay last?

BajaRon
03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm looking for advise on helmet noise reduction. I always wear earplugs, but there's still a hurricane inside my helmet at freeway speeds. It's a full-face modular and the visor is always closed. The wind noise is definately coming from underneath, more so on the right side (a helmet communicator is attached to the left side, so there's a clue).

As it is now, long freeway trips are very unpleasant and I have to find a way to prevent worsening tinnitus and hyperacusis, else give up motorcycling :( ...its getting that bad.

Does anyone have experience with devices like the Windjammer, Helmet-Muffler or others? Do they work? Do thay last?
Not all ear plugs are created equal. There are differing levels of attenuation in ear plugs. I wear 24db or higher when I ride.

In the fire service I discovered that many people do not insert the ear plug correctly so it isn’t really doing the job.

Don’t know if either of these applies to you, just a general starting point.

Different helmet designs tend to make different amounts of noise. Modular helmets generate more noise because there are more lumps, bumps and seams. In a 70 mph wind, a small edge can make a lot of noise.

Different brands will make more or less noise depending on how well the parts fit together.

Next step is, does your helmet fit correctly? Most people (about 70% or 7 out of 10) wear a helmet at least 1 size too large (and many are 2 sizes up from what they should wear), acccording to studies done by Arai and others. An amazing number but after selling helmets for over 12 years, I’ve found this to be pretty accurate.

A helmet too large is not only going to be very noisy, it’s not going to protect you when you need it. It can come off your head almost immediately and then you’re left to bounce down the road without protection.

In my experience, these other devices do a reasonable job, with some drawbacks. But my feeling is, they are prosthetic fixes for people that don’t correct the issues listed above.

Riding with too much noise is fatiguing. I hope you can work this out.

kentompkins
03-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Boy, am I glad that Gary brought this up! I began to think I was the only one. What he describes is exactly what I experience.

My helmet is a Shoei modular and my earphones are Etymotics 6i. I insert them as per the Etymotic video -- turn them in from horizontal to vertical.

I have read here about owners who listen to their mp3 players -- direct connect or bluetooth -- and have to turn the volume down! I can never get it high enough to hear clearly (btw, I do not have noticeable hearing loss so that isn't the problem).

I have used both the Scala G4 and, recently, the Sena SMH10 which is supposed to have the loudest volume control of any of the helmet headsets. I have purchased the Sena earphone adapter so I can actually use the ER6i headphones.

I'd save up for another helmet if I was convinced that a non-modular helmet would fix the problem.

ken tompkins

Eraser
03-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Different helmet designs tend to make different amounts of noise. Modular helmets generate more noise because there are more lumps, bumps and seams. In a 70 mph wind, a small edge can make a lot of noise.

Different brands will make more or less noise depending on how well the parts fit together.

Next step is, does your helmet fit correctly? Most people (about 70% or 7 out of 10) wear a helmet at least 1 size too large (and many are 2 sizes up from what they should wear), acccording to studies done by Arai and others. An amazing number but after selling helmets for over 12 years, I’ve found this to be pretty accurate.

A helmet too large is not only going to be very noisy, it’s not going to protect you when you need it. It can come off your head almost immediately and then you’re left to bounce down the road without protection.

In my experience, these other devices do a reasonable job, with some drawbacks. But my feeling is, they are prosthetic fixes for people that don’t correct the issues listed above.

Riding with too much noise is fatiguing. I hope you can work this out.

:agree:100%...Start with a properly fitted helmut.Then begin adding ear-plugs-etc. if/as needed.

GaryTheBadger
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
BajaRon - I'm using the highest DB reduction earplugs I can find (-33db) and positively inserting them correctly (10+ years experience and many audiologist consultations).

Next up is the helmet itself...how exactly does one determine proper fit? How can I tell if mine is too big?

IWN2RYD
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Well crap! This whole time I thought that all the noise was my passenger :roflblack::ohyea::shemademe_smilie:

Ltownblue
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
BajaRon - I'm using the highest DB reduction earplugs I can find (-33db) and positively inserting them correctly (10+ years experience and many audiologist consultations).

Next up is the helmet itself...how exactly does one determine proper fit? How can I tell if mine is too big?

Even with proper insertion, the rated NRR is not necessarily realized. There is a safety factor that should always be taken into account with hearing protection that allows for leaks in the seal, vibration and / or improper insertion. That safety factor is calculated by subtracting 7 from the given NRR and then dividing that number by 2. Therefore if your earplugs have an NRR of -33, you could only be receiving a true NRR of (33-7) / 2 or 13.

NancysToy
03-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Even with proper insertion, the rated NRR is not necessarily realized. There is a safety factor that should always be taken into account with hearing protection that allows for leaks in the seal, vibration and / or improper insertion. That safety factor is calculated by subtracting 7 from the given NRR and then dividing that number by 2. Therefore if your earplugs have an NRR of -33, you could only be receiving a true NRR of (33-7) / 2 or 13.
:agree: For the best fit, use the custom-molded earplugs. Ears are as individual as fingerprints, but earplugs do not really adapt to the ear, unless they are the cheap sponge type.

I also agree with Ron's thoughts on the helmet itself. Besides the fact that modulars are louder, most helmets are position-sensitive, and are louder when sitting upright, that when leaned into the wind. There is a huge difference between helmet brands, too, due to aerodynamics, liner variations, and different vent structures/positions. Switching brands of helmets can help...but it is always a crap shoot, since they can't be tried out while riding.

As another possible solution, try changing the windshield (or adjusting an adjustable one), or installing wind deflectors below the windshield on the Spyder (RS model).

sabunim5
03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Here is a link to a good article on helmet noise.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm

BajaRon
03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Well crap! This whole time I thought that all the noise was my passenger :roflblack::ohyea::shemademe_smilie:

Sorry, in all my years of riding and selling MC gear, I have not come up with a resonable, legal fix for this issue! :roflblack:

kokki
03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
I have read that some 2wheelers drill holes in the windshield, in the bottom of glass, it will mix the turbulences and noise will reduce.

Tom in NM
03-09-2011, 02:27 PM
:agree: For the best fit, use the custom-molded earplugs. Ears are as individual as fingerprints, but earplugs do not really adapt to the ear, unless they are the cheap sponge type.

I also agree with Ron's thoughts on the helmet itself. Besides the fact that modulars are louder, most helmets are position-sensitive, and are louder when sitting upright, that when leaned into the wind. There is a huge difference between helmet brands, too, due to aerodynamics, liner variations, and different vent structures/positions. Switching brands of helmets can help...but it is always a crap shoot, since they can't be tried out while riding.

As another possible solution, try changing the windshield (or adjusting an adjustable one), or installing wind deflectors below the windshield on the Spyder (RS model).

This whole helmet noise thing can be a real problem and the solution will be very custom and personal for you.

I agree with Ron and NancysToy. The formula is something like this:

Windshield + Helmet + Position + Earplugs + Your Head = "quiet ride"

And every element is very personal. My biggest problem is that I have yet to find a helmet that does not transmit sound into my skull. Rub your hand on your head or ears and if you hear it, just consider how it can "get to you" if that is a constant sound. And with earplugs, that sound is focused and contained within your head - same effect if you eat potato chips with your ears sealed when wearing earplugs. While sound is a vibration, helmet vibration may be the real problem that you are experiencing. Shorter hair also seems to aggravate the issue. Or, the helmet is rubbing your ears and transmitting that sound/vibration. Maybe you just need larger pockets for your ears.

The first thing I did that made the biggest difference was my windshield - I got the adjustable Madstad. That solved 80% of the problem. You can check to see if that is the biggest part of the sound issue by "pushing" the air envelope around your helmet with your free hand when you are riding. If that drops the sound you are hearing significantly, look for a windshield that you can adjust. If you know other riders who have different kinds of windshields, see if you can test them out.

My helmet picked up every little vibration and sent it into my head. It was blissfully quiet if I turned my head to the far left or right at highway speeds, but, that was not good for watching the road ahead. So, if you find your head position significantly changes the "sound" you are hearing/feeling, look for a different helmet. I have been through several. What I found was that riding without a helmet and just using earplugs worked best. Obviously, not the best or safest option ( or even legal in some areas ).

Anyway, keep tweaking the elements in that formula above and you should get to something you can enjoy.

Tom

BajaRon
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM

There are a lot of variables and we are dealing in generalities here. It's like most fitted items, when you know how it is supposed to fit, you can tell instantly. Most people abhor a properly fitted helmet (hence, the high number of riders wearing a helmet that does not fit). That is because their expectations are wrong. This stems from the fact that there isn't anything else that the average person wears that correlates to a motorcycle helmet.

The rule of thumb is that you want a helmet as tight as you can get it without giving you a headache. This may be a bit severe but does convey the importance of a snug fitting helmet.

At the risk of a “Oh No! Not again” story. I spent many years in the fire service. I was amazed at how many times a rider’s helmet would come off in an accident. Chin strap still securely fastened. Cause? Helmet too big!

A helmet that is too big will move around on your head in buffeting winds. But I wore a helmet one size too large for years and I would have said, ‘My helmet does not move around on my head in buffeting winds’. That is, until (after seeing what happened to other riders) I decided to get the right sized helmet NO MATTER WHAT!

Once I started riding with the correct helmet size (which seemed WAY TOO TIGHT at first), I began to realize how much my previous helmets had been moving around on my head.

Quickie test.

Put your helmet on with the chin strap snug (which it should always be). Shake your head vigorously left to right watching the face shield for movement. If the helmet does not follow your head movements very closely or it feels sloppy, the helmet is not fitted properly. The same point on the face shield should pretty much remain stationary in front of your face. If you can actually feel the helmet moving on your head it is too big.

Do the same procedure, front to back (nodding yes with gusto). Some helmets will fit just fine side to side, and not at all front to back (or vise versa). You need a helmet that fits all aspects of your head well to get good protection.

A more accurate test procedure. (If the quickie test above is not conclusive, or seems to indicate a properly fitted helmet)

Push the helmet side to side (pushing towards each ear) while trying your best to keep your head still. You should not be able to move the helmet much at all without your head moving.

Do the same thing, front to back. If you feel the helmet move at all (padding slides on your head, or any more than slight helmet movement without head movement, you’re helmet is not fitting you properly.

If you can, reach over the top of the helmet, grab it at the bottom in the very back and pull up and forward, slowly increasing the pressure. Do it fairly hard because in an accident, the forces exerted will be much greater than what you will exert in this little test. If the helmet feels like it’s trying to come off, it is probaby not fitting your head properly, and may actually come off in an accident.

If you can’t do this yourself, have someone stand behind you and do the same thing while you hold your head as still as you can.

Now you can measure your head. The best thing to use is the cloth tape your wife has in her sewing kit. Short of that, you can use a string or similar flexible item the DOES NOT STRETCH! Measure around your head about ¾” above your eyebrows, to the biggest (or, as my wife would say, FATTEST part of your head). Pull the tape tight, if you’re using string, get it snug but not real tight because it will sink into your skin and give you too small a measurement. That’s why I really recommend the sewing tape. Do this several times until you get the same measurement every time.

Centimeters are better than Inches because they will give you a more precise number.

Once you have this number, compare it to the manufacturer’s recommended head sizing.

This is not really the end of the story, but it's a good start and I’m running a bit long here. I know this may seem daunting. But it’s well worth the effort. Once you experience a properly fitted helmet, you'll be glad you went to the trouble.

One more thing. Helmet padding is designed to form fit to your face/head. So, you must purchase a new helmet that is actually a bit TOO tight. Otherwise, when the padding seats in, it will be too big and no longer fit properly.

woodchuck
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM

I never had this problem as long as I have been riding.
Maybe because I wear two hearing aids and the wind doesn't bother me.

NancysToy
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I'll add one thing to Ron's helmet fitting mini-seminar. The helmet should contact all around the head, evenly. If you feel pressure spots, or see redness after you remove it, don't go to a larger helmet, go to a different helmet make or model. Arai is the only helmet manufacturer, to my knowledge, that makes several different shapes, but different helmet brands, and even different models within one brand, vary slightly in shape, and may offer a better fit.

BajaRon
03-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I'll add one thing to Ron's helmet fitting mini-seminar. The helmet should contact all around the head, evenly. If you feel pressure spots, or see redness after you remove it, don't go to a larger helmet, go to a different helmet make or model. Arai is the only helmet manufacturer, to my knowledge, that makes several different shapes, but different helmet brands, and even different models within one brand, vary slightly in shape, and may offer a better fit.

Sorry about the mini-seminar. I know that was long, and, as Scotty points out, still not comprehensive. Head shape can also be a factor.

Spyder Cat
03-09-2011, 04:49 PM
There are a lot of variables and we are dealing in generalities here. It's like most fitted items, when you know how it is supposed to fit, you can tell instantly. Most people abhor a properly fitted helmet (hence, the high number of riders wearing a helmet that does not fit). That is because their expectations are wrong. This stems from the fact that there isn't anything else that the average person wears that correlates to a motorcycle helmet.

The rule of thumb is that you want a helmet as tight as you can get it without giving you a headache. This may be a bit severe but does convey the importance of a snug fitting helmet. . . . .
QUOTE]

[QUOTE=NancysToy;292664]I'll add one thing to Ron's helmet fitting mini-seminar. The helmet should contact all around the head, evenly. If you feel pressure spots, or see redness after you remove it, don't go to a larger helmet, go to a different helmet make or model. Arai is the only helmet manufacturer, to my knowledge, that makes several different shapes, but different helmet brands, and even different models within one brand, vary slightly in shape, and may offer a better fit.

Thanks for those great instructions! :clap: Lots to take into consideration.

Recently I was fitted with a helmet by a local 'pro' and the fit he suggested was just like you described Ron; but I thought it was too tight in certain spots. So, I'm doing what Scotty recommended, trying different brands & styles, and what a selection to chose from!!! :yikes:

However, we have determined that it's not all helmet-related ..... the RT with windshield raised is sooo much quieter (perhaps less deafening) than the RS, even with the 23" windshield.

We just installed the RoboBracket Kit and adapter plate from Magstad, and what a difference it's made already, just after the initial installation . . . . can't wait til the weekend so we can get the adjustments dialed in.

So, between that and a new helmet fitted properly, I'm ready to ryde! :yes:

BajaRon
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM
[quote=BajaRon;292652]There are a lot of variables and we are dealing in generalities here. It's like most fitted items, when you know how it is supposed to fit, you can tell instantly. Most people abhor a properly fitted helmet (hence, the high number of riders wearing a helmet that does not fit). That is because their expectations are wrong. This stems from the fact that there isn't anything else that the average person wears that correlates to a motorcycle helmet.

The rule of thumb is that you want a helmet as tight as you can get it without giving you a headache. This may be a bit severe but does convey the importance of a snug fitting helmet. . . . .
QUOTE]

Thanks for those great instructions! :clap: Lots to take into consideration.

Recently I was fitted with a helmet by a local 'pro' and the fit he suggested was just like you described Ron; but I thought it was too tight in certain spots. So, I'm doing what Scotty recommended, trying different brands & styles, and what a selection to chose from!!! :yikes:

However, we have determined that it's not all helmet-related ..... the RT with windshield raised is sooo much quieter (perhaps less deafening) than the RS, even with the 23" windshield.

We just installed the RoboBracket Kit and adapter plate from Magstad, and what a difference it's made already, just after the initial installation . . . . can't wait til the weekend so we can get the adjustments dialed in.

So, between that and a new helmet fitted properly, I'm ready to ryde! :yes:
Wind impact is, of course, a factor. My direction was helmet based because windshields are another issue altogether.

Gettting fitted by a 'Pro' is a good idea. You still have to be careful because most are a salesman first and may tend to steer you towards what they have instead of what might be best.

Depending on which helmet you tried on, and where it was tight. I might be able to help you look in the right direction.

NancysToy
03-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Sorry about the mini-seminar. I know that was long, and, as Scotty points out, still not comprehensive. Head shape can also be a factor.
Don't be sorry. This is good stuff, and important to riders. Helmet fit is a mystery to most helmet buyers...and many salesmen, too. You done good, Ron!!! :thumbup:

CyncySpyder
03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
These are what I use, & I won't ryde without them :2thumbs:

Blue Star
03-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Do not apologize, as you gave great information.

wyliec
03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
These are what I use, & I won't ryde without them :2thumbs:

What about Teddy?

Trickie Dick
03-09-2011, 10:33 PM
I just got some of these and have only used them on one ride and doing some vacuuming around the house. It's just like custom earplugs for a lot less money. I wasn't sure but for the price I thought why not!
http://earplugsonline.com/

BajaRon
03-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I just got some of these and have only used them on one ride and doing some vacuuming around the house. It's just like custom earplugs for a lot less money. I wasn't sure but for the price I thought why not!
http://earplugsonline.com/

Everyone is different. But I think there is a limit to how much noise you want to block as being able to hear is also important to safety. I've had some ear plugs that I felt blocked too much sound.

It's a good thing to hear the train coming, is all I'm saying.

bone crusher
03-10-2011, 02:53 AM
I have a windjammer...helps probably another 20% with noise...is worth getting...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WINDJAMMER-Motor-Cycle-Helmet-WIND-BLOCKER-P-P-1-50-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45f91d0fe9QQitemZ30053 2174825QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise#ht_4037wt_941

Dochands
03-10-2011, 12:33 PM
BajaRon is spot on. I was taught to have a buddy grab the front of the helmet and try and do the maneuvers described. When someone else does it and you feel and see the helmet move and slide you have no doubt you need a smaller size.

I was not taught about helmet shape and head shape. I am still not clear how you determine your head shape except by observation but helmet reviews now also compare shapes. I went from a Shoei Multitec to a Shark Evoline and the comfort and fit were vastly improved. Bought both without knowing about head shape but it taught me the lesson.

As far as turbulence from the bottom of the helmet, that's a tough one. Personally think this is the real purpose for a better windscreen on the bike. And of course even that is hard to size and angle. If I had that to do over again, I'd get the one you can slide and angle.

recordingguy
03-10-2011, 01:03 PM
As I remember from years of using a helment that when you have the helmet on and you move it from front to back and side to side the scalp should move and not the helment on your head. Bob

chris56
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
got from ROTAX two of their neck-protectors (cart) .. use it if I drive with my son (14y) - and .. hate it - on the straight highway no problem .. in the mountains i cannot move my head like I want .. BUT
the noise is 90% away !!
so test it bevore you buy one - (like here)
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/apparel/images/racewearcollar.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/apparel/collars.htm&h=509&w=640&sz=75&tbnid=yGFQbhqHxGlH4M:&tbnh=109&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dneck%2Bsupport&zoom=1&q=neck+support&usg=___c2GnIbqOQihBv4co17ugwR5uS8=&sa=X&ei=BBR5Tfy6PMiAhQec6fnlBg&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAw

BajaRon
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
BajaRon is spot on. I was taught to have a buddy grab the front of the helmet and try and do the maneuvers described. When someone else does it and you feel and see the helmet move and slide you have no doubt you need a smaller size.

I was not taught about helmet shape and head shape. I am still not clear how you determine your head shape except by observation but helmet reviews now also compare shapes. I went from a Shoei Multitec to a Shark Evoline and the comfort and fit were vastly improved. Bought both without knowing about head shape but it taught me the lesson.

As far as turbulence from the bottom of the helmet, that's a tough one. Personally think this is the real purpose for a better windscreen on the bike. And of course even that is hard to size and angle. If I had that to do over again, I'd get the one you can slide and angle.

It is always best to have someone manipulate the helmet while you are wearing it. But not everyone has that luxury. The head shake will work in a pinch.

The Shoei is more of a Round head shape whereas the Shark is more of an intermediate head shape. That is why you'll find people that say 'I have a Shoei head'. Whether they know it or not, that means they tend towards a round head shape.

The way to tell what kind of head you have is to try on a Round head helmet like a Shoei or Arai Quantum. And then try on a Long Oval, like the Arai Profile.

In other words, if you try on a Long Oval helmet (football head) and it's tight on the sides and too much room front to back, then you are either an Intermediate or a Round head.

Then try on a Round Headed helmet like the Shoei or Arai Quantum. If it's tight front to back but too much room side to side then you are an Intermediate.

The key is to know what head shape the helmet you're trying on is and to be aware of fit all around.

BajaRon
03-10-2011, 01:51 PM
As I remember from years of using a helment that when you have the helmet on and you move it from front to back and side to side the scalp should move and not the helment on your head. Bob

This is true. Another way to test for a properly fitted helmet.

Raptor
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
One more thing. Helmet padding is designed to form fit to your face/head. So, you must purchase a new helmet that is actually a bit TOO tight. Otherwise, when the padding seats in, it will be too big and no longer fit properly.

This is the mistake I made when I bought my Shoei. I did not figure on the padding seating in, and now it does not feel quite the same as when I first bought it. Then I started using a lid cap (or light belaclava). The lid cap saved the day! Not only does it shore up the fit, it covers my ears and makes a better seal on the bottom. It also protects the liner from getting dirty.

Really though, I truly feel that the wind screen is the key to serious noise reduction. Doc Hands had a great point about getting one that adjusts both in angle as well as height. Riding the RS-S with the Ultra-Toring windshield is much more comfortable than the little Sport Tour screen I have on Phantom 14. But 14 is NEVER gonna have a touring screen on her. She's just not that kind of girl!! :roflblack:

BajaRon
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
This is the mistake I made when I bought my Shoei. I did not figure on the padding seating in, and now it does not feel quite the same as when I first bought it. Then I started using a lid cap (or light belaclava). The lid cap saved the day! Not only does it shore up the fit, it covers my ears and makes a better seal on the bottom. It also protects the liner from getting dirty.

Really though, I truly feel that the wind screen is the key to serious noise reduction. Doc Hands had a great point about getting one that adjusts both in angle as well as height. Riding the RS-S with the Ultra-Toring windshield is much more comfortable than the little Sport Tour screen I have on Phantom 14. But 14 is NEVER gonna have a touring screen on her. She's just not that kind of girl!! :roflblack:

Hair lenght (like if you have it long when you try on the helmet and then cut it short) can also make a difference. But it gets down to spitting hairs at some point.

Belaclavas come in different thicknesses and can make a loose helmet fit better. You can also change out the interior padding on many helmets these days to a thicker lining to improve fit.

What you don't want to do is make one shell size fit like another shell size. People do it but it isn't a good idea.

Arai makes 2 head sizes out of 1 shell size by changing the interior padding thickness. Some manufacturers will run 3 or even 4 head sizes from one shell size with padding thickness. This is not a good idea if you're on the small end of the scale (needing a lot of padding to make the helmet fit.

Raptor
03-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Hair lenght (like if you have it long when you try on the helmet and then cut it short) can also make a difference. But it gets down to spitting hairs at some point.

Belaclavas come in different thicknesses and can make a loose helmet fit better. You can also change out the interior padding on many helmets these days to a thicker lining to improve fit.

What you don't want to do is make one shell size fit like another shell size. People do it but it isn't a good idea.

Arai makes 2 head sizes out of 1 shell size by changing the interior padding thickness. Some manufacturers will run 3 or even 4 head sizes from one shell size with padding thickness. This is not a good idea if you're on the small end of the scale (needing a lot of padding to make the helmet fit.

Good points, Ron. This has been a very good thread, as it has really laid out some great information as to how a helmet should actually fit. You can bet I won't make the same mistakes I did the first time. I have heard the terms "relaxed fit" and "race fit" used to describe fitting characterisitcs. From now on I'm going for the "race" fit. :D

Blue Star
03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a Scorpion EXO-1000, and love it. I like the the drop down sun visor, and the inflatable cheek-pads it helps make the fit better. My only question is how do you keep the top of your ears from folding down when putting it on. It seems like on will do this every time I put it on. Of course I guess that will solve the ear plug question :roflblack:

GaryTheBadger
03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Army Dad - Try grabbing the chin straps, one in each hand, and pull them away from each other (spreading out the sides of the helmet) while pulling down on the helmet.

hevnbound
03-10-2011, 06:40 PM
.. My only question is how do you keep the top of your ears from folding down when putting it on. It seems like on will do this every time I put it on....

Helmet liners ... http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/helmet-liner/

... I should add ... one that fits over the ears ...http://www.ridersdiscount.com/channel-images/10/107458/320x320-FULL.jpg

BajaRon
03-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Good points, Ron. This has been a very good thread, as it has really laid out some great information as to how a helmet should actually fit. You can bet I won't make the same mistakes I did the first time. I have heard the terms "relaxed fit" and "race fit" used to describe fitting characterisitcs. From now on I'm going for the "race" fit. :D

Racers wear their helmets VERY tight, for obvious reasons. Helps prevent scrambled eggs!

You can get nearly the same protection with a little less pressure. That's where the 'Relaxed Fit' comes in. Not sure most could do a full day's riding in a 'Race Fit' helmet.

If just one person gets the right helmet out of all this, it was worth it. :D

Blue Star
03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
Army Dad - Try grabbing the chin straps, one in each hand, and pull them away from each other (spreading out the sides of the helmet) while pulling down on the helmet.

Thank you. I will try that.

... I should add ... one that fits over the ears ...http://www.ridersdiscount.com/channel-images/10/107458/320x320-FULL.jpg

Thank you. I will go to that site if GaryTheBadger's suggestion don't work for me.

BajaRon
03-10-2011, 07:15 PM

There is a technique to donning a properly fit full face helmet and your ears will never know anything happened. I've seen some people put a full face helmet on top of their head and simply push down. Guaranteed, that helmet is WAY too big for that head if it goes on that way.

Pulling outward on the staps is good advise. It takes a bit of practice and hand placement on the straps can make a difference. You want to grab the straps close to the helmet.

Also, most find that bringing the helmet somewhat from the rear, rather than straight down on the head, works better. You start with the helmet tilted up wards, move it onto the back of the head, then rotate the helmet forward as you pull it forward and down.

Sounds complicated in text, but once you get the hang you'll do it in your sleep.

If you full face helmet will come straight down on your head without bending your ears, it's probably too big.

If you ever get the chance to watch a professional rider don their helmet, pay attention to how they do it. You have to watch closely though because they do it quickly. Just like they ride.

Spyder Cat
03-10-2011, 07:32 PM

That's why we're so excited about the Robobrackets from Magstad we just got. It offers so many ways to adjust the windshield, height, angle, etc. All we need is for the weather to cooperate so we can play with the adjustment!

SpydeRider2010
03-10-2011, 09:25 PM
I must agree with BajaRon. as a retired cop... I've worked several m/c accidents; and helmets were floppy or missing. wear it tight and right. you'll have less noise, and much less bruising.

Blue Star
03-11-2011, 01:38 AM
There is a technique to donning a properly fit full face helmet and your ears will never know anything happened. I've seen some people put a full face helmet on top of their head and simply push down. Guaranteed, that helmet is WAY too big for that head if it goes on that way.

Pulling outward on the staps is good advise. It takes a bit of practice and hand placement on the straps can make a difference. You want to grab the straps close to the helmet.

Also, most find that bringing the helmet somewhat from the rear, rather than straight down on the head, works better. You start with the helmet tilted up wards, move it onto the back of the head, then rotate the helmet forward as you pull it forward and down.

Sounds complicated in text, but once you get the hang you'll do it in your sleep.

If you full face helmet will come straight down on your head without bending your ears, it's probably too big.

If you ever get the chance to watch a professional rider don their helmet, pay attention to how they do it. You have to watch closely though because they do it quickly. Just like they ride.

When reading your instructions I remembered that is what my helmet pro told to do. I did try several times putting on and off my helmet today (with a ryde to follow) by pulling the straps, and noticed that it worked. Also, I cannot just pull it down easy, but have to work it down. I guess I just have to ryde more for the practice. After all, practice makes perfect :roflblack:

bjt
03-11-2011, 08:26 AM
... My only question is how do you keep the top of your ears from folding down when putting it on. It seems like on will do this every time I put it on. Of course I guess that will solve the ear plug question :roflblack:

+1 A doo rag (some call them skull caps) that covers the top of my ears or a thin stocking cap (in the winter) allows my full face helmet to push down without bending my ears.

Trickie Dick
03-11-2011, 08:37 AM
+1 A doo rag (some call them skull caps) that covers the top of my ears or a thin stocking cap (in the winter) allows my full face helmet to push down without bending my ears.
:agree: Here's what I use. After trying several others, I settled on this from LD Comfort. Cool in summer and keeps my head from sweating. Warm in the winter.
http://ldcomfort.com/store/store/product.php-productid-11-cat-0-page-1-featured.html

memphisdan
03-11-2011, 09:58 AM
This has been a great discussion for me. My helmet fits so tight that I can not fit anything under it. It is ok when I get it on but no extra room. I have been searching for a larger helmet but now I think what I have may be just about right. Thanks for the great information.:2thumbs:

IWN2RYD
03-11-2011, 10:09 AM
:agree: Here's what I use. After trying several others, I settled on this from LD Comfort. Cool in summer and keeps my head from sweating. Warm in the winter.
http://ldcomfort.com/store/store/product.php-productid-11-cat-0-page-1-featured.html

We LOOOOOOOOVE Our LD's... I bought the orange one just so I could be different :roflblack:

For those with hair... :opps: We really like these because they prevent helmet hair in our 1 hour or less travels to destinations... Like our business for example...nojoke

Dochands
03-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Absolutely agree about the LD Comfort head rag. And also this was a great discussion. As safe as our Spyders are this info could save a life. Thanks for starting it and thanks for everyones comments. :clap:

NancysToy
03-11-2011, 12:05 PM
This has been a great discussion for me. My helmet fits so tight that I can not fit anything under it. It is ok when I get it on but no extra room. I have been searching for a larger helmet but now I think what I have may be just about right. Thanks for the great information.:2thumbs:
I suspect your helmet is just right, if there are no hot spots or pressure points. When I was having my new Arai fitted recently, I was told that if you wear a balaclava or doo-rag regularly, you should fit the helmet with what you normally wear. A good fitting helmet will not have room for a balaclava, at least when new...especially the heavier, winter-weight head coverings. Two possible solutions...either summer and winter helmets (my current answer), or a thinner liner for use with the head sock.

Raptor
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Two possible solutions...either summer and winter helmets (my current answer), or a thinner liner for use with the head sock.

I think that is a great idea, Scott. So the Shoei will become primarily a Winter helmet, the Icon Alliance and the O'neil will be my Summer lids, and the Scorpion EXO-1000 will fit somewhere in-between. I can get away with this on the EXO because it is very adjustable. Probably my favorite one right now.

I also like the look of the LD helmet liner. Might just have to pick up a couple of those! :thumbup:

And to Cat, best of luck with the brackets. You'll have to keep us posted on how things go.

bone crusher
03-12-2011, 02:24 AM

I wear an under armour skull cap...just goes over my ears enough to prevent them from getting flipped over by helmet...plus, keeps my head cooler when it's warm out...

bone crusher
03-12-2011, 02:25 AM

Yuck...that's ugly...go under armour!!! :doorag:

Trickie Dick
03-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Yuck...that's ugly...go under armour!!! :doorag:
How can you tell it's ugly. It's under my helmet:D. Besides, it works:firstplace:. Not in for the looks, just the functionality.

P.S. I agree...It's ugly

bone crusher
03-12-2011, 02:37 PM
How can you tell it's ugly. It's under my helmet:D. Besides, it works:firstplace:. Not in for the looks, just the functionality.

P.S. I agree...It's ugly

Yeah, function trumps looks...the UA skull cap does the same but doesn't have tails...it also keeps your head cool/warm, depending on season...

Whatever works is the way to go!

scudrunner
03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I solved my noise problem years ago. Turbine engines gave me a 40dB hearing loss in both ears (even using double hearing protection). I don't notice the wind noise, but my Scorpion EXO 900 helmet fits nicely. I can't say it's the perfect fit, but it is comfortable, snug and no hot spots. The guys at the shop where I bought my Spyder did a decent job of fitting us.
As for the liner.... I picked up a couple of LDComfort liners for the hot weather (and they work!), but also used them in the winter. Ugly or not, they are nice.