PDA

View Full Version : VIBRATIONS ON 08 RS?

fordguyupnorth
03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
morning all, i just got a 08 rs with 4400 miles on it to ad to what is turning into a spyder collection! ( i have a 11 rts). drove it for the first time last night and boy is it awsome! handles way different than the rts. it is a ton of fun! just wondering if the vibration that i feel around 60mph and up is just the way they are. its not terrible or anything, you can just feel it in your hands and feet. just a slight annoying "humm" i can see how on a long trip on the expressway it could really get to someone though. just wanted to ask as this is the first rs i have ever driven. i must ad this thing is ultra cool vibration or not! i cant believe how it rides like its on rails! very, very impressed! thanks for the help.

IWN2RYD
03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Not all of the RS/GS units do this from what I understand. Many suggest checking the belt tension, making sure the bearings are still in spec. And if so to consider getting a tensioner from one of our Sponsors... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25110

fordguyupnorth
03-09-2011, 09:23 AM
i need to ad after i bought it i dropped it off to cement city to have a 600 mile inspection done. ( oil change and the whole ball of wax) just to be sure i was starting out with everything being checked. again, the vibration isnt horrible just annoying. its the same thing i have felt when i used to run a 600 suzuki boulevard on the expressway. like it just working to hard. nothing i cant live with but if there is a fix i would love to try.

M2Wild
03-09-2011, 09:25 AM
All of my M/Cs vib and gets my hands numb on long rides. A nicer set of grip help a lot. I like the grip puppies myself. Cheap and comfy.

MMcc
03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
I can attest to the reduction in vibrations felt on feet and grips with the tensioner. It did not completely eliminate them but made a welcome change. The biggest difference I noticed was the heavy vibrations I experienced as I accelerated from 55 to 65 mph were no longer present. My 08 GS is now much more comfortable to ride for long distances. I plan to add handlebar risers and then perhaps the bar end weights if necessary. Hopefully that will further reduce the feeling at the grips. Not sure about the foot pegs.

wyliec
03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I have the vibration between 55-62 mph. Here's another thread to look at:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=280374&highlight=vibration#post280374

Once the snow is gone I'll look more into it. I guess after reading thru that thread, if I'm feeling it in the hands, the belt tensioner may not help. In my case it may be the ride on (too much).

MMcc,

I might try the bar end weights. Do you have a link?

Thanks

boborgera
03-09-2011, 10:12 AM
morning all, i just got a 08 rs with 4400 miles on it to ad to what is turning into a spyder collection! ( i have a 11 rts). drove it for the first time last night and boy is it awsome! handles way different than the rts. it is a ton of fun! just wondering if the vibration that i feel around 60mph and up is just the way they are. its not terrible or anything, you can just feel it in your hands and feet. just a slight annoying "humm" i can see how on a long trip on the expressway it could really get to someone though. just wanted to ask as this is the first rs i have ever driven. i must ad this thing is ultra cool vibration or not! i cant believe how it rides like its on rails! very, very impressed! thanks for the help.

Belt Harmonics' you can reduce it by adjusting the belt but it will always be there.:dontknow:

ARtraveler
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Does your 08 have the vibration damper weights installed in the handlbars?--about a $100 accessory. Had them put on both our 08 and 09 Spyders. The 2010 RTS did not need them.

fordguyupnorth
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
i have not had any dampners installed on the handlebars. but it sounds like it would be something to try. does brp make them? my rts doesn't have an ounce of vibration either!

GaryTheBadger
03-09-2011, 12:41 PM
BRP makes them, p/n 219400115 and HondaEastSuperstore.com has them for $82.

ARtraveler
03-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I believe the dampers were an official BRP accessory. I bought both sets through my dealer--but its been a couple of years now.

IWN2RYD
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
:opps: Never thought about the dampeners for the bars... Those are automatic purchases for me on most bikes. Sorry about that...

bone crusher
03-10-2011, 03:17 AM
i have not had any dampners installed on the handlebars. but it sounds like it would be something to try. does brp make them? my rts doesn't have an ounce of vibration either!

It's gonna vibrate no matter what you do...there are things, as others mentioned, that will help...none will eliminate the vibration...I have proper belt tension, handlebar risers, endweights, etc..

Get a crampbuster as well...I use it to rest my hand on and it seriously dampens a lot of the vibration and keeps my hand from the source of the vibration (handlebar)...safe to use and cheap...I got one for each side of the handlebars...

http://www.crampbuster.com/why_crampbuster.php

COOLMACHINE
03-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Hello Fordguyupnorth,
I have installed "Throttlemeisters" on my 08 sm5.
I believe they cost me $152. dollars delivered. Each weighs close to a pound and is also a cruise control unit. Installation time was about 15 minutes and a couple starts and stops to get off the spyder and make a couple adjustments. Did not completely get rid of the vib but definitely helped. Here's a couple pics with them installed.

dltang
03-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Hello Fordguyupnorth,
I have installed "Throttlemeisters" on my 08 sm5.
I believe they cost me $152. dollars delivered. Each weighs close to a pound and is also a cruise control unit. Installation time was about 15 minutes and a couple starts and stops to get off the spyder and make a couple adjustments. Did not completely get rid of the vib but definitely helped. Here's a couple pics with them installed.

I love my Throttlemeister. It was easy and makes the long haul so much nicer.

fordguyupnorth
03-11-2011, 07:09 AM
thanks im gonna give them a try! (if it ever quits freekin snowing!):gaah:

SpyderWolf
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Another question would be what gear are you running in? From 50 to 70 I am usually in 4th gear and that lessens the vibrations I get if running in 5th gear at those speeds. It is going to vibrate, but you may be able to adjust the gear selection to run in a different RPM range that will also help lessen the vibrations. As you stated, it is a totally different animal than your RT. Enjoy! :thumbup: