PDA

View Full Version : Can Am trailer question

Pennyrick
03-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Recently we bought a trailer to go with my wife's RT SE5. We've had a lot of trouble with the trailer lock and have been back and forth to the dealer (about 25 miles away) with it. We are now on the third lock and it still doesn't work.

One of the annoying (to my wife) things about towing the trailer is that when in trailer mode, the shift points change dramatically. She doesn't let the engine lug but she also doesn't like to rev it up a whole lot. The trailer mode forces her to stay in 2nd gear up into the 38 mph range for example.

Yesterday (with an empty trailer), I suggested she just take it out of trailer mode and see what happens. She did that and still had the lights and brakes but was able to shift much earlier than before as the computer wasn't forcing the transmission to stay in the lower gears.

I asked the dealer if this would do any damage to anything by keeping it out of trailer mode and got a blank stare for an answer.

Has anyone done this and/or does anyone have a comment on whether this is okay to do with an empty or very lightly loaded trailer?

Rick Rae

retired1
03-08-2011, 09:51 AM
:welcome:. Whenever I am pulling my trailer, I don't bother putting it in trailer mode primarily because of having to go through the whole Mode thing to get to the correct screen every time the machine is started. I just drive it "by ear", remembering to shift at higher rpms than normal. If the trailer isn't loaded, 4500rpms into second gear is too much for me. I watch the temp gauge and listen for "lugging".
Just my way of doing it.

Slybird
03-08-2011, 11:45 AM
:congrats: on you RT and RT-622! A while ago, I posed pretty much the same question to the forum and here's what I got......

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25509

Ryde safe, my friend!

bullant12
03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Recently we bought a trailer to go with my wife's RT SE5. We've had a lot of trouble with the trailer lock and have been back and forth to the dealer (about 25 miles away) with it. We are now on the third lock and it still doesn't work.

One of the annoying (to my wife) things about towing the trailer is that when in trailer mode, the shift points change dramatically. She doesn't let the engine lug but she also doesn't like to rev it up a whole lot. The trailer mode forces her to stay in 2nd gear up into the 38 mph range for example.

Yesterday (with an empty trailer), I suggested she just take it out of trailer mode and see what happens. She did that and still had the lights and brakes but was able to shift much earlier than before as the computer wasn't forcing the transmission to stay in the lower gears.

I asked the dealer if this would do any damage to anything by keeping it out of trailer mode and got a blank stare for an answer.

Has anyone done this and/or does anyone have a comment on whether this is okay to do with an empty or very lightly loaded trailer?

Rick Rae

In reference to the lock, when I bought my RT, I was given the tumbler so when I decided to buy the trailer, all the dealer had to do was switch the tumbler from the trailer to the one that was given to the new RT owner. THis way your keys to the RT can open the trailer as well. Was this not done when you bought your RT?:hun:

NancysToy
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
The reason for trailer mode is to force you to keep the rpm above minimal levels. For those that shift a bit higher anyway, and downshift manually before the SE Spyder shifts, it is not a necessary thing, just a reminder. If your wife's is forcing her to do things she would not ordinarily do, that is a good thing. It is telling her to keep the rpm higher when towing. On flat ground, the lower rpm will probably not hurt, although eventual increased clutch wear could result. On hilly roads, the mountains, or with a heavy load, you stand a better chance of causing damage, either to the clutch or from lugging the engine. I'd have her use trailer mode while towing, until the higher rpm operation becomes habit.

Pennyrick
03-08-2011, 03:20 PM
In reference to the lock, when I bought my RT, I was given the tumbler so when I decided to buy the trailer, all the dealer had to do was switch the tumbler from the trailer to the one that was given to the new RT owner. THis way your keys to the RT can open the trailer as well. Was this not done when you bought your RT?:hun:

Bought the RT with just 1,000 miles on it from a bank who took it back when the owner failed to make payments. What he did with the trailer lock and the cable for the sound system is anyone's guess... they didn't come with the RT.

Rickrae

Marker
03-08-2011, 05:10 PM
:welcome: Their loss is your gain:congrats:

bullant12
03-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Bought the RT with just 1,000 miles on it from a bank who took it back when the owner failed to make payments. What he did with the trailer lock and the cable for the sound system is anyone's guess... they didn't come with the RT.

Rickrae

What cable of the sound system? Are you referring to the iPod/MP3 connection? You can get that thru your dealer or get it on eBay.

I bought mine brand new so I got everything, the cable and the tumbler. But as far as the trailer lock, you either hang around 2 keys, one for the RT and the other for the trailer. Or pay $$$$:yikes: and order 2 new tumblers and get the dealer to swap the ignition tumbler so both trailer and RT work on the same key.

Sounds like your dealer is not helping you much...:lecturef_smilie:

SpyderGirl
03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
I pull a trailer behind my manual transmission RS and I just listen to the sound of the motor. At 38MPH you should be in second gear, that's pretty normal... especially if you are pulling a trailer.

With or without the trailer, I usually don't shift into 3rd until I hit over 40MPH. But that's just me. :chat:

SpyderAnn01
03-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I had the same issue with the locks bought mine used and didn't get the cylinder or the ipod cable. Purchased replacement locks so all would be keyed the same then had the trailer lock pop out. The cylinder was a tad longer than the opening just enough to keep it from properly locking into place. Another set of locks and so far it has not popped out.

Good luck.

NancysToy
03-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I think there is a Service Bulletin that deals with the correct procedure for installing the locks. It is a bit tricky.