PDA

View Full Version : FLAGS

NJERNIE
03-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Today while getting gas the attendant told me I was flying the American flag on the wrong side. While standing behind the bike, the flag is on the right and the POW flag on the left. The attendant claims that it should be the opposite and that he takes it personally. I've been riding for 50 years and never knew there was a proper position for the flag. Have rode in many poker runs, military runs, etc. and was never questioned about the position of my flags. So my question is does anyone know if there is a standard placing of the flag on the back of a motorcycle. :hun:
:dontknow:

NancysToy
03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
The flag should be displayed on it's own right (your left), when displayed with another flag. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/displayonly.htm

dancogan
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
"That the flag, when carried in a procession with another flag, or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag's own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line."

It would seem on a motorcycle it would be on the right hand side from the driver's position.

Peacemaker7
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
According to the American Legions web page, the flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag's own right. As the viewer is looking at the flags from the rear of the bike, at the flag's own right, the flag is on the right.

freebob
03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
:chat:
"That the flag, when carried in a procession with another flag, or flags, should be either on the marching right; that is, the flag's own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line."

It would seem on a motorcycle it would be on the right hand side from the driver's position.

:agree:

arntufun
03-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Are you kidding me. People in this day in age have a problem with what side the flag is displayed on ??? It's 2011 people. I could see if it was upside down or something real stupid but come on... who gives a crap what side it's on, at least you are showing the flag. That person who "had a problem with it", indeed himself has the PROBLEM !!! But this is America home of "IMO" so there is mine.

Ok I'm finished now. I feel better. So what's for dinner ??

ataDude
03-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Are you kidding me. People in this day in age have a problem with what side the flag is displayed on ??? It's 2011 people. I could see if it was upside down or something real stupid but come on... who gives a crap what side it's on, at least you are showing the flag. That person who "had a problem with it", indeed himself has the PROBLEM !!! But this is America home of "IMO" so there is mine.

:yikes: :yikes:

woodchuck
03-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Are you a communist?
People have died protecting this flag
I glad your are finished and feel better.
May the bird of paradise fly up your nose

arntufun
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Are you a communist?
People have died protecting this flag
I glad your are finished and feel better.
May the bird of paradise fly up your nose

No, don't get me wrong I love this country. Before you go off your rocker I spent over 10 years in the military defending that very flag you are talking about with some loved ones lost. The guy had a decal of a flag on his cycle in the wrong spot. BIG DEAL !!! He still was displaying the flag. I would give that guy a thumbs up not degrade him. There is alot more things that should annoy you than a little thing like that. I deserve and I know I've earned an opinion on this matter. Peace be with you.

SOOOO... What's for dinner ???

NJERNIE
03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Arntufun-

Thanks for your comments - I absolutely agree with you. My flag might not be in the politically correct place but it is there because I stand behind it and the principals it represents.

IWN2RYD
03-04-2011, 07:22 PM
The flag should be displayed on it's own right (your left), when displayed with another flag. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/displayonly.htm

I was reared to understand the American Flag in front of us is on our Left (It's right because the flag in turn is facing us) and all other flags like State flags go on the Right of us.

Some might find it confusing. Here is the easiest way to remember if you are so inclined...

Our American Flag is always facing us. We are not to think of our facing position, but the Flags. :doorag::2thumbs:

Hence "It's Own Right"...

Ryde safe...

bruiser
03-04-2011, 07:49 PM

I was reared to understand the American Flag in front of us is on our Left (It's right because the flag in turn is facing us) and all other flags like State flags go on the Right of us.

Some might find it confusing. Here is the easiest way to remember if you are so inclined...

Our American Flag is always facing us. We are not to think of our facing position, but the Flags. :doorag::2thumbs:

Hence "It's Own Right"...

Ryde safe...

The American flag is always on the viewers left when displayed static in a room, auditorium etc. The flag on the rear of my :spyder2: is on the left.

arntufun
03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Arntufun-

Thanks for your comments - I absolutely agree with you. My flag might not be in the politically correct place but it is there because I stand behind it and the principals it represents.

Don't worry about a selected few NJERNIE. You ride on my friend, ride on.:2thumbs: The next time that gas station attendant comes into your barber shop for a haircut, just nick his ear with the clippers. :roflblack::roflblack:

XLT
03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
:yes:I just like a Canadian bike flying an American Flag.

IWN2RYD
03-05-2011, 10:47 AM
The American flag is always on the viewers left when displayed static in a room, auditorium etc. The flag on the rear of my :spyder2: is on the left.

That's what I said did I not :opps::opps:

wyliec
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Yes.

sandrunr1
03-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I will fly my AMERICAN FLAG as i see fit. I dont give a rats backside what others think. It is always higher and bigger than the others. And I say if you dont like or take offense, get on your ride, close eyes and go fast.

IWN2RYD
03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I will fly my AMERICAN FLAG as i see fit. I dont give a rats backside what others think. It is always higher and bigger than the others. And I say if you dont like or take offense, get on your ride, close eyes and go fast.
I do not think it is about what others think to be honest. I think the opinions being expressed are more about what has been used for decades as the correct way to display our flag.

Then you add the Military emotion to the Flag, and this adds to it.

All in all we do live in a free Country. So if someone wants to put their foot down and tell people to bad I do not care I will do what "I" want, than that person in return must be aware that others can voice their feelings and thoughts on the subject.

It is a two way street.

I see it like this. It is 100% disrespectful to the fallen Citizens of this Country to not Honor them properly, by not displaying the Flag as it is intended to be. Furthermore, all it shows me when someone diliberately (After being made aware and has made their own choice) decides to continue to display our Flag in a disrespectful manner that they are only showing their own lack of patriotism and understanding as to what those before us lost so we can even be having this debate at this time. Period.

Dudley
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM

This brings up a question. If the flag is to be on the far right or center forward in a parade, should it not also be on the right side of the rear of the motorcycle? The motorcycle is not static as is a room. The bike is moving forward as in a parade. Just my thoughts cause I don't know for sure.

Just found this:

http://www.americanlegionriders.net/Flags.shtml

That pretty well settles it.

wyliec
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I do not think it is about what others think to be honest. I think the opinions being expressed are more about what has been used for decades as the correct way to display our flag.

All in all we do live in a free Country. So if someone wants to put their foot down and tell people to bad I do not care I will do what "I" want, than that person in return must be aware that others can voice their feelings and thoughts on the subject.

It is a two way street.

I see it like this. It is 100% disrespectful to the fallen Citizens of this Country to not Honor them properly, by not displaying the Flag as it is intended to be. Furthermore, all it shows me when someone diliberately (After being made aware and has made their own choice) decides to continue to display our Flag in a disrespectful manner that they are only showing their own lack of patriotism and understanding as to what those before us lost so we can even be having this debate at this time. Period.

So true. I think you have covered all points very well.

Dudley
03-05-2011, 12:07 PM
This should remove any questions:

IWN2RYD
03-05-2011, 12:28 PM

This helps... But is this only in a parade situation?

The way it was expressed to us by a full bird Colonel before a funeral procession was this. If the flags can not be seen by those in front of you, you place the Flag on the Left rear of the vehicle because those behind you will see it like they do in a room.

But in the procession we are to place the US Flag on the Right rear of the bikes regardless.

This is great info BTW. We will all be experts by the time this is all figured out :thumbup:

http://www.flagandbanner.com/images/etiquette1/motorcycle.jpg

Dudley
03-05-2011, 12:47 PM
The American Legion does not specify parade, just position on the bike. I respect the Colonel's opinion, but either way you will have people disagree. If people in front can't see by one's opinion and another says they can, the flag will be in the wrong position, regardless. I think the American Legion's position is that the motorcycle is not static by definition, as it will move, therefore the flag will be as in a parade and be properly positioned. If displayed static in a room, even if the flag is brought in by formation, it will be displayed on the left of the people facing it.

GI Jane
03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I agree completely with the American Legion Riders website saying it should be on the motorcycle's right. Otherwise it is lower than another flag (if flying two) when on the kickstand. The US flag should NEVER be lower than another flag.

Thanks to all riders that proudly display the US Flag.

SilverSurfer
03-05-2011, 01:30 PM
IWN2RYD has it right, and shows a nice example. The 'parade side' of a motorcycle is the right-side of the bike as you sit on it. I have the KewlMetal License Plate Mounts with my US and Maryland flag displayed as shown:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=12069&albumid=919&dl=1284334915&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=919&pictureid=12069)

I've been challenged on it once, but it was a friendly conversation because the research is accurate.

Some people get confused because if you're viewing multiple flags ... say at either side of a podium, the US flag is positioned to the left of the podium and the person facing you. However, if you think about it, the flags on your bike are behind you. Therefore, if the viewer is watching you approach, the flags are in the correct position. Again, flag position is determined based on an approaching bike; not looking at the back of a bike.

Also see: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/displayonly.htm. At the bottom, you'll see the flag displayed on 'the parade side' of a car. Same thing.

Oh, btw: Retired Army Warrant Officer (22 years); currently work for the Army as a civilian in an active Army unit.

bruiser
03-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Yes you did! Just reinforcing the comment. By the way, I do fly two American flags most times. Just haven't seen anything else I like except for this one...
www.HonorandRemember.org (http://www.HonorandRemember.org)

NJERNIE
03-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the input. My flag is flying in the correct position according to the last couple of posts. I also found the same information from the Military Salute Project MSP-03 Automobile and Motorcycle Flag Display Guidelines for Non-Military Vehicles. http://militarysalute.proboards45.com

And again thank you for the brisk discussion.
:chat: :yes:

johnnyg
03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Now! for my two cents :agree: for a bike, it is displayed on the right rear. My tour in Germany, I drove for the top brass stationed in K-Town. I driven Senators, congressman and foreign dignitaries we always placed the American flag on the right front and the other flags of their country or rang on the left side. I believe if you show the American flag with pride it's good enough for me. How was it said? Now whats for Dinner???

IWN2RYD
03-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the input. My flag is flying in the correct position according to the last couple of posts. I also found the same information from the Military Salute Project MSP-03 Automobile and Motorcycle Flag Display Guidelines for Non-Military Vehicles. http://militarysalute.proboards45.com

And again thank you for the brisk discussion.
:chat: :yes:

Very cool link thank you.... Page 16... (United States Flag Manual (Option 1) (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ydzrq05lnyn/mspflagmanual.doc))

richie
03-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I agree completely with the American Legion Riders website saying it should be on the motorcycle's right. Otherwise it is lower than another flag (if flying two) when on the kickstand. The US flag should NEVER be lower than another flag.

Thanks to all riders that proudly display the US Flag.

What's a kickstand ? :dontknow:

Slybird
03-06-2011, 01:09 AM

The way it was expressed to us by a full bird Colonel before a funeral procession was this. If the flags can not be seen by those in front of you, you place the Flag on the Left rear of the vehicle because those behind you will see it like they do in a room.

But in the procession we are to place the US Flag on the Right rear of the bikes regardless.

This is great info BTW. We will all be experts by the time this is all figured out :thumbup:

:agree::agree::agree:

IWN2RYD
03-06-2011, 01:23 AM
What's a kickstand ? :dontknow:

Code for Passenger? :dontknow::hun: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Blue Star
03-06-2011, 02:26 AM

It is a two way street.

docdoru
03-06-2011, 09:37 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm136/docdoru/3-6-20119-35-03AM.png?t=1299422202

bruiser
03-06-2011, 11:00 AM
I respectfully stand corrected.

Oldmanzues
03-06-2011, 11:39 AM

I fully agree with this. The Ohio PGR believes in it. To fully respect the FLAG and what it stands for, this should be used.
It is nice to show the Flag, of course. Why not go all the way and do it acording to Flag code.
I think this all came about when horse drawn wagons started being used
I will not coment on this COL, but in 28 years of service, I saw a few I did not believe in on certain subjects. I believe their is certain rules about Flags on stages and/or the same level as the audence.

COOLMACHINE
03-06-2011, 12:06 PM

It is a two way street.

Thanks for the posts. :agree:

araknd
03-06-2011, 12:11 PM

Thanks these 2 photos help me understand what everyone was saying. I, too, was ignorant of the proper way of displaying the flag on my bike, I just lucked out and did it right.
In this day and age where it seems everything/one is threatening America I think it's important to be especially respectful of our flag.
araknd

SpydeeBite2
03-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Go to the government web site. There is a two page document about how to display the American flag. I for one respect the flag enough to display it properly.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/04C1.txt

Questions
03-13-2011, 11:49 AM
IWN2RYD has it right, and shows a nice example. The 'parade side' of a motorcycle is the right-side of the bike as you sit on it. I have the KewlMetal License Plate Mounts with my US and Maryland flag displayed as shown:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=12069&albumid=919&dl=1284334915&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/album.php?albumid=919&pictureid=12069)

I've been challenged on it once, but it was a friendly conversation because the research is accurate.

Some people get confused because if you're viewing multiple flags ... say at either side of a podium, the US flag is positioned to the left of the podium and the person facing you. However, if you think about it, the flags on your bike are behind you. Therefore, if the viewer is watching you approach, the flags are in the correct position. Again, flag position is determined based on an approaching bike; not looking at the back of a bike.

Also see: http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/displayonly.htm. At the bottom, you'll see the flag displayed on 'the parade side' of a car. Same thing.

Oh, btw: Retired Army Warrant Officer (22 years); currently work for the Army as a civilian in an active Army unit.

I just checked the Kewlmetal website and don't see any license plate holders with flag mounts. Do you (or anyone) know of any others?

Thanks,

Hall

Roger
03-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Today while getting gas the attendant told me I was flying the American flag on the wrong side. While standing behind the bike, the flag is on the right and the POW flag on the left. The attendant claims that it should be the opposite and that he takes it personally. I've been riding for 50 years and never knew there was a proper position for the flag. Have rode in many poker runs, military runs, etc. and was never questioned about the position of my flags. So my question is does anyone know if there is a standard placing of the flag on the back of a motorcycle. :hun:
:dontknow:

First of all thank you for even riding with both flags no i did not know the correct answer but if i read and understand correctly you are correct anyway like you said if you were behind your bike staring at it the flag would be on the right and pow flag on the left no flag should be higher than an american flag so if your bike had a kickstand and it leaned to the left than the american flag would still be higher.

dave01
03-13-2011, 06:18 PM
When seated on the Spyder, keep the american flag all the way to the right. Goes the same on our boats too.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk