PDA

View Full Version : powder coating?

spyderspawn
03-04-2011, 01:06 PM
just thinking about getting my chrome exhaust powder coated black and then getting something painted on the powder coat. i want to make the exhaust into a bazooka or rocket launcher or something that will go with the spawn theme on the bike i am getting done. do they make paint that will stand up to the temps the exhaust will get up to? any info will be helpful on this idea.

DougB
03-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Header paint !

spyderspawn
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
i dont know anything at all about paint. it that in a spray can or can you get it to put in an air brush gun.

XLT
03-04-2011, 02:24 PM
just thinking about getting my chrome exhaust powder coated black and then getting something painted on the powder coat. i want to make the exhaust into a bazooka or rocket launcher or something that will go with the spawn theme on the bike i am getting done. do they make paint that will stand up to the temps the exhaust will get up to? any info will be helpful on this idea.
I had my front - rear wheels powder coated matte black. Don't have an answer for your question ,BUT, if it does not work out for you have you seen the "TAILGUNNER" pipes (2 or 3 types that will work on the spyder) Check them out if you already haven't...ones black and it moves another looks like a missile also black!

IWN2RYD
03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Header paint !
:agree:

Last time I did it, it was really expensive and worth every penny :thumbup:.

Just something to keep in mind though... Some exhausts pipes are double walled. Not the old fashion single. And by painting the exhaust that is double walled reduces it's life span.

You see the pipe(s) are designed to a certain thickness and tolerance allowing for heat dissipation. So by painting/sealing the outer pipe the internal pipe gets super heated and wears out faster. Basiccaly your putting a blanket on the outer pipe. Imagine running down the street with a jacket on for a long period of time. Same effect on the pipes...

The same thing can and does happen on single pipes as well. It just wears out from the inside out.

Reality is this takes a lot of time. And a lot of ryding. So it may never happen to our Spyders because we continue to make changes, and then again it can. So just have that in mind.

spyderspawn
03-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I had my front - rear wheels powder coated matte black. Don't have an answer for your question ,BUT, if it does not work out for you have you seen the "TAILGUNNER" pipes (2 or 3 types that will work on the spyder) Check them out if you already haven't...ones black and it moves another looks like a missile also black!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
just took a look at the tailgunner pipes and i have to say there are freaking awesome and is what i am looking for. thank you very much. now just got to sell my exhaust so i can get one.