PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Spyder Reliability trends?

OldDog
02-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Do there seem to be some consistent issues popping up on the 2011's?
I seem to have read of several instances of the air ride suspension sensor failing. Also I'm reading of fairly consistent SE5 shifting issues that are either oil level related or shifter solenoid related. I know BRP monitors this site and Lamont has direct ties. Is there a way we can make BRP aware of these trends in a timely and objective manner? I know the objective of this group is to make the Spyder RT et al the most reliable touring platform on the planet What is the engineering feedback loop to BRP?

Old Dog :dontknow::popcorn:

SpyderRyderTV
02-28-2011, 02:57 PM
I agree with you OldDog, it does not matter and we are not concerned with any other two, three or even 4 wheelers. We are concerned about the :spyder2: and there may be that the average do not have problems now but may have more difficult problems in the future. The point being that it is in BRPs best interest to maintain QC for their products. We do not pay for R&D, we pay for reliability,safety and fun !!!!!!!!!!

OldDog
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Exagerated (sp) failure rates of system elements should be a red flag to engineers. By examining failure patterns, they can design better solutions.
The Spyder RT is an evolving machine. I would like to the think in a few years 100000 miles with no problems will be the norm. However, the reality for the moment seems to be start up issues. These issues do not lend confidence to experienced touring riders when contemplating going from 2 wheels to three. I have read posts of people having essentially no problems and posts of people having one problem after another. Is the real reliability of the Spyder RT SERIES being skewed by posts of a relative few problems over all when measured by the number of units sold? Are the system failures consistent, I.E. under rated shocks and suspension on the first year 2010's for example.
Questions,Questions. Discussion?

Old Dog :chat:

MouthPiece
02-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Is the real reliability of the Spyder RT SERIES being skewed by posts of a relative few problems over all when measured by the number of units sold?

Although I have no empirical evidence to support, I personally have found this to be true.

Chris PE# 0004

IWN2RYD
02-28-2011, 06:57 PM
ZERO issues with our 2011 RSS. We are in absolute heaven. Due for our first service as of today.

Flat out awesome to drive and runs like we think it should. In fact... Until this thread we never thought anything of it. Just gassed/washed/drive. Repeat... :yes::bowdown::firstplace:

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9716/dscn05941.jpg

ARtraveler
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
:popcorn::popcorn:

fordguyupnorth
02-28-2011, 09:53 PM
personally i think your concern is valid old dog! one of the posts you refer to regaurding the air suspension is probably mine. i want everyone to understand that though my post may, at times, come across as negative towards brp its just a description of what I am experiencing! trust me, after dropping over $25,000 on a vehicle i have no experience with ,no one is praying for a positive outcome more than me! but come on, i got the thing home and while driving our first 1/2 mile EVER, my fiancee comes close to getting thrown. i believe anyone would be a little nervous. i just hope they replace this computer "brain" thing and the suspension works and we can just hop on and enjoy! again........no one is wanting this more than me! though new to this forum and spyder ownership for that matter, i hope this is a place to be honest about our thoughts and experiences. both positive and negative. once mine comes back from the shop its my hopes to post nothing but pics of me and my bride in front of the viper red rts with rushmore, devils tower, niagra falls, and all the great places this wonderful nation offers us in the background!!:clap:

boborgera
02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
personally i think your concern is valid old dog! one of the posts you refer to regaurding the air suspension is probably mine. i want everyone to understand that though my post may, at times, come across as negative towards brp its just a description of what I am experiencing! trust me, after dropping over $25,000 on a vehicle i have no experience with ,no one is praying for a positive outcome more than me! but come on, i got the thing home and while driving our first 1/2 mile EVER, my fiancee comes close to getting thrown. i believe anyone would be a little nervous. i just hope they replace this computer "brain" thing and the suspension works and we can just hop on and enjoy! again........no one is wanting this more than me! though new to this forum and spyder ownership for that matter, i hope this is a place to be honest about our thoughts and experiences. both positive and negative. once mine comes back from the shop its my hopes to post nothing but pics of me and my bride in front of the viper red rts with rushmore, devils tower, niagra falls, and all the great places this wonderful nation offers us in the background!!:clap:

:agree::thumbup::thumbup:

groundeffect
02-28-2011, 10:05 PM
ZERO issues with our 2011 RSS. We are in absolute heaven. Due for our first service as of today.

Flat out awesome to drive and runs like we think it should. In fact... Until this thread we never thought anything of it. Just gassed/washed/drive. Repeat... :yes::bowdown::firstplace:

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9716/dscn05941.jpg:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OldDog
02-28-2011, 10:24 PM

I think that's what we're all shooting for. My thread was not meant to be either positive or negative, but hopefully an honest observation. :2thumbs:

IWN2RYD
03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
@Fordguyupnorth :2thumbs: Need any help just shoot me a PM. A few of us had some challenges last year, and yet here we still are after being taken care of.

All I ask folks to think about is this. These machines are a LARGE leap forward for motorcycle type vehicles. They are cutting edge. Just the VSS alone is astonishing on how well it works and hundreds of thousands of situations every minute. The RT's are in their 2nd year of production. Things can and will go wrong on a small scale.

If you do have an issue here or there, as long as you have a great Dealer, the end result is worth it. Think of it like the love of your life. It takes a little work, but it is sooooo worth it. :spyder2::doorag:

@OldDog... I hope my input adds to your line of thinking and or intent of this thread. I most certainly was not a happy camper 10 ish months ago with my Spyder. I was looking for answers and got frustrated. Now I have the privilege to be on the other side of the track and be VERY pleased with our Spyder. I figure it is only right to spread the good we have experienced now, as I spread some frustration on our RT in the past. :thumbup::ohyea::2excited::yes:

MouthPiece
03-01-2011, 06:43 AM
I figure it is only right to spread the good we have experienced now, as I spread some frustration on our RT in the past. :thumbup:

My sentiments exactly!!!

Chris PE# 0004

OldDog
03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I know Lamont posted a list of improvements he would like to see on the 2011 RT'S. In line with this thread,What were the most common first year issues that were found aside from the global DPS and suspension issues? Could we get some sort of list going? Is it too early to see some of the improvements for the 2011's.? The objective of this group should be to make the RT the most trouble free touring platform available, surpassing the Goldwing and Beemer. This is where we need open positive dialogue with BRP's design team. Can we create a tab on this forum that would be a vendor pipeline wherein we can submit design suggestions based on our riding experiences? These are just thoughts I'm throwing out. If this is all old stuff, I'll stop blabbing.

Old Dog :thumbup:

fordguyupnorth
03-01-2011, 11:36 AM
the thread that i LOVED reading and one that gave me a lot of confidence was where the gentleman hit 100k on his spyder. how cool is that! i believe in my heart that the electrical glitches will get ironed out and knowing the engine is as solid as 100k without a rebuild only makes me feel better! i would love to have everyone include there mileage with each thread.....for me it would look something like this.............. 11.2 and rolling!! he , he.

Justin
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
That orange bike is nice, but the touring crap ruins it. Other than that, BRP got the colours bang on.

I had the same concerns with reliability, because I was spending $60g to get in the sport. I bought 2 09 Phantoms and haven't had any major issues at all. My only gripe is they're priced about $10g too much. I guess you have to pay for the uniqueness.

Pandy
03-03-2011, 01:16 AM
We just purchased out RTs on Monday and based on Can-Am's reputation so far, should any consistent major glitches pop up, I have confidence that engineering will triumph over gremlins. After all, these guys make everything from airliners to jet skis. As for the GoldWing comparison, I came from a 25 year old GoldWing and the well documented problems of that breed were still being dealt with in the older bikes on the road. After 30+ years of production (we hope) the Spyders can only be more refined.
Let's Ride

Patrick

fispyder
03-03-2011, 06:33 AM
:welcome: enjoy your RT :congrats:

docdoru
03-03-2011, 06:47 AM
the thread that i LOVED reading and one that gave me a lot of confidence was where the gentleman hit 100k on his spyder. how cool is that!
What gentleman, he is a Huligan...:roflblack:

dltang
03-03-2011, 08:03 AM
What gentleman, he is a Huligan...:roflblack:

I am glad you chimed in Doc, because I almost did...LOL

NancysToy
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
We just purchased out RTs on Monday...

Patrick
:welcome: Enjoy the Ryde!