PDA

View Full Version : Special License?

jvirga
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
My understanding is that our spyders do not require a M1 license in California. Can anyone tell me the specific DMV code that pertains to our spyders concerning this issue? The question has come up several times as of late. The dealer assured me that no special license was needed but now I want to know for a fact.:helpsmilie:

Dudley
02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Don't know the specific code, but a special MC endorsement is not needed in CA.

ivanlee
02-26-2011, 05:57 PM
My understanding is that our spyders do not require a M1 license in California. Can anyone tell me the specific DMV code that pertains to our spyders concerning this issue? The question has come up several times as of late. The dealer assured me that no special license was needed but now I want to know for a fact.:helpsmilie:
it is in the motorcycle handbook, can see it on line.:ohyea:

jimcrom
02-26-2011, 10:59 PM
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/mcycle_htm/requirements.htm

stevedfive
02-26-2011, 11:30 PM
CVC 12804.9 ( License Classifications)
(J) Class C does not include a two-wheel motorcycle or a two-wheel motor-driven cycle.
(4) Class M1. A two-wheel motorcycle or a motor-driven cycle. Authority to operate a vehicle included in a class M1 license may be granted by endorsement on a class A, B, or C license upon completion of an appropriate examination.

CVC 400 (Definition)
(a) A “motorcycle” is a motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

DMV Handbook
You may obtain a Class M1 or M2 license at any DMV office which provides driver license services. Motorcycle law tests and skill tests are required.
NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle.