PDA

View Full Version : Trailer help please: Torsion axles or leaf springs?

mxz600
02-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I am about to buy a 23 ft. tandem axle snowmobile trailer that I will also use for the Spyder. It comes standard with leaf springs but torsion axles are available for an extra $300.00. The salesman said it's his opinion that with a trailer of this weight (1900 lbs.) I will not get any benefit with torsion axles from a ride standpoint (being bouncy). I don't like paying extra for something that isn't going be a benefit.

Any opinions on the pros & cons of both setups?

NancysToy
02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
I prefer the torsion axles, but they may make no difference in the ride. On a equalized-suspension, tandem or triple-axle trailer, it has been my experience that the movement in the axles, due to the inter-connected leaf springs, can cause the trailer to "steer" itself, if it starts to sway, making control difficult. I crashed a trailer that way once, when a guy bumped it and got it swaying. The trailer took over, oscillating further and further, even with the trailer brakes applied by hand, finally causing it to jack-knife. A trailer with independently attached leaf springs does not have this problem, but is more difficult to maneuver. This is strictly my experience and my preference. Lots of leaf spring trailers are purchased and towed, by lots of satisfied customers. If you trust your trailer guy, you may want to follow his lead. It is obvious he is not making more money this way, so his advice is probably sound.

Marker
02-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I agree with Scotty. My experience towing a loaded torsion ride axle trailer is that its the same as towing a loaded leaf spring trailer. I notice the difference when the trailer is empty, the leaf spring trailer tends to be more bouncy at highway speeds than a torsion ride axle trailer. When towing both types of trailers I always make sure the load is little a little far forward to help avoid trailer sway.

mxz600
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
A trailer with independently attached leaf springs does not have this problem, but is more difficult to maneuver.

Thanks for the info Scotty. The trailer does have independently attached leaf springs, what do you mean by more difficult to maneuver?

I have been doing a little research and this is what I've come up with. Not sure if it is all true, just what I've read.

Leaf springs are squeaky.
Springs are cheaper to repair. If the torsion fails you replace the whole axle.
If you have a flat with the torsion you can remove the tire and keep going, can't do that with a spring. :dontknow: I would carry a spare anyway.
If you can't park (store) the trailer on even ground for extended periods of time it's better to have springs.

NancysToy
02-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info Scotty. The trailer does have independently attached leaf springs, what do you mean by more difficult to maneuver?

I have been doing a little research and this is what I've come up with. Not sure if it is all true, just what I've read.

Leaf springs are squeaky.
Springs are cheaper to repair. If the torsion fails you replace the whole axle.
If you have a flat with the torsion you can remove the tire and keep going, can't do that with a spring. :dontknow: I would carry a spare anyway.
If you can't park (store) the trailer on even ground for extended periods of time it's better to have springs.
An equalized set of axles allows the axles to, in effect, move ever so slightly under load. This gives an ever so tiny amount (under normal conditions) of steering effect. Without that effect, the trailer can be slightly harder to maneuver...although most people never notice the difference, especially with only two axles. Same thing with a tandem versus a single axle, really...a single axle is easier to turn because the tires don't scrub in a sharp turn. Like riding a Spyder, whatever you use is something you get used to. Buy whatever you think will work for your needs....you won't hear the springs squeak if you are not in the trailer, and a little WD-40 sprayed on them once in a while will prevent that anyway...provided they are not already lined with plastic between the leaves at critical points. I may prefer the cleaner mechanics and attachment of a torsion axle, but I see no real strong advantages to either type...on a relatively light trailer with a relatively light load.

BTW, not to confuse the issue, but have you looked at an all-aluminum trailer. They are very light. My single axle 7x12 V-nose, extra tall, weighs just 1200 empty, with a full interior.

Bob Denman
02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Don't the torsion axles remind you of the trailing arm setup that Can Am uses on their ATVs?

BajaRon
02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I think the big advantage of torsion over leaf is when you have a high center of gravity load.

With basically a utility trailer hauling weight that is pretty low I'm not sure the torsion axle will make that big a difference, other than cost.

Leaf components are a lot easier to find if you break down somewhere too.

The torsion traliers I've used rode pretty stiff empty.

effgjamis
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
I am about to buy a 23 ft. tandem axle snowmobile trailer that I will also use for the Spyder. It comes standard with leaf springs but torsion axles are available for an extra $300.00. The salesman said it's his opinion that with a trailer of this weight (1900 lbs.) I will not get any benefit with torsion axles from a ride standpoint (being bouncy). I don't like paying extra for something that isn't going be a benefit.

Any opinions on the pros & cons of both setups?

I would have no other than torsion axles ...I even have torsion on my pull tag along behind my spyder and that little jewel has been alot of miles.